GMG - grenade machine launcher (WTF?) and other useless weapons discussion

Sprafa said:
Tanks are a slow vehicle - that could evade the GMG anyway.
And it could be used as an anti-tank weapon, it depends on the tank.

40mm grenades are not armor piercing...they're concussion. so no, it's not an effective tank weapon.

and as far as i know, the grenade launchers the police use are the same launchers that were developed for the military...they just have different ammo...so yes, it could probably have teargas grenades...though you'd have to have a pretty damn big crowd to need 330 teargas grenades per minute :D

I think the fact that the US as well as many other armies use this weapon or similar weapons is enough proof to say that the weapon is effective.

These things werent invented yesterday, the first one (called the pom-pom for the sound it made) was used in the Boer War.

http://users.westconnect.com.au/~ianmac5/techn3.jpg

It fired 40mm shells at a rate of 60rpm and was found to be quite useful.

The russians have produced the AGS-30 which fires 30mm grenades (http://www.gunsite.narod***/ags30.gif) and Singapore produces more than one model of 40mm automatic grenade launchers.

These modern variations have been around since the 1960's.

I meant post WW2-era soviet until 60's tanks. They would be able to penetrate with a few direct impact nades and a few 3rd world countries still use them.

Sprafa said:
Tanks are a slow vehicle - that could evade the GMG anyway.
And it could be used as an anti-tank weapon, it depends on the tank.

Tanks aren't as slow as a lot of people think they are. In fact, some tanks can really move if you want them to.

Sprafa said:
I meant post WW2-era soviet until 60's tanks. They would be able to penetrate with a few direct impact nades and a few 3rd world countries still use them.

so now you're arguing that it would be an effective anti-tank weapon or what? lol

what about this weapon mounted ON one of those fast-moving attack vehicles...can you imagine about 10 humvees spraying nades into an area you're trying to defend? that'd be kinda rough :p

GhostValkyrie said:
Tanks aren't as slow as a lot of people think they are. In fact, some tanks can really move if you want them to.

an abrams on relatively hard open ground can move at like 60mph

Sprafa said:

It probably wouldnt do much more than make noise if it hit in most places. By the end of WWII 75mm explosive rounds were too small to penetrate most tank armour.

A nade to the treads will cut the track sometimes which is a mobility kill but it cant stop the tank from then swiveling its turret and spreading very small chunks of you across teh landscape.

These grenade launchers are intended for anti-personel purposes or to take out light vehicles.

60mph as a top speed is slow compared to most light/medium armor vehicles.

I am arguing against myself already....

There is no way the GMG could penetrate the armor of the T-72 Battle tank, or Even the T-64, Hell, I highly doubt it would be able to destroy a T-54.

Its just not an Anti-Tank Weapon.

Sprafa said:
60mph as a top speed is slow compared to most light/medium armor vehicles.

I am arguing against myself already....

a tracked vehicle going 60mph is amazingly fast. the bradley goes about that speed as well. a humvee on a road is of course faster...but how often are battles fought on roads...unless they're in a city where speed doesn't really matter.

AudioRage said:
There is no way the GMG could penetrate the armor of the T-72 Battle tank, or Even the T-64, Hell, I highly doubt it would be able to destroy a T-54.

Its just not an Anti-Tank Weapon.

no...it's not...i bet it couldn't even penetrate the armor of late-war WWII tanks. concussion grenades just do not penetrate armor...they're like shooting explosive baseballs...the explosion doesn't blow through tank armor...though it probably wouldn't feel good to have a ton of grenades blowing up against your armor...that'd be pretty loud...and the explosions would mess up your thermal sights if you had any...and the smoke would not be easy to see through.

well it could still make a whole army duck ;)

Exactly!
In an urban combat terrain (and even most) top speed doesn't counts.

And I'm saying T-30/20's - a direct hit would send overheated metal inside, killing everyone.

Sprafa said:
Exactly!
In an urban combat terrain (and even most) top speed doesn't counts.

And I'm saying T-30/20's

so is it a worthwhile weapon to have or not? what would you use instead?

well its good to have a varying amount of mounted weapons, eh?

Maskirovka said:
so is it a worthwhile weapon to have or not? what would you use instead?

Anti-tank - RPG or in case of NATO tanks (anti-RPG ionic system) the Hellfire
Anti-infantry- Assault rifles and regular handheld grenades or underslug
Anti-aircraft - very relative to the aircraft

I admit I didn't thinked much on posting this. There are uses or this weapon, however a little limitated.

so if you're defending a key bridge, and 6 toyotas with .50cal machine guns mounted on the back of them are driving towards your position you would rather have an m-16/m203 or a .50cal on your HMMWV then one of these deployed or mounted on a HMMWV? I'd take the GMG

Sprafa said:
There is no real use for this weapon.

you sir are an idiot , thats like saying theres no more reasons to have machine guns since we have rockets

Goddamit I admit I didn't thought about it much!!!
Could you stop the mother****ing bashing.

I'm not trying to bash you, just debating a topic with you, although, I admit johnshafft should read your posts before calling you an idiot for something you have already admitted you were wrong about.

Indeed. You kept it civil and I thank you for that.
Anyway, the GMG is kinda X-terminator weapon. I don't know how Hollywood hasn't put it on a Rambo-style movie.

Yeah, I could just imagine Arnold ripping it off the top of a HMMWV and shooting T-14264 with it 330 times :D

And to johnshaft - If we had rockets with the same speed and size of bullets, we certainly wouldnt.

Sprafa said:
Goddamit I admit I didn't thought about it much!!!
Could you stop the mother****ing bashing.

Your right, you didnt thought about it much.

He he. Ha... ha ha. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!

English is my 5th language.
Errors in Grammar/Spelling are acceptable to me.

A knife with lasersight would be kinde useless in my opinion, unless your hand-to-eye coordination is extremely bad.

I speak fluently - Portuguese, Spanish, Gallego, French and English (French and English with a few Grammar/Spelling errors, mostly on French though)
A little of - German, Basque and latin after Summer.

I was talking to ductonius since apparently no matter how many languages you speak, if you don't speak his 1st language perfectly, you're an idiot.

AudioRage said:
I was talking to ductonius since apparently no matter how many languages you speak, if you don't speak his 1st language perfectly, you're an idiot.

I made no such implication.

Pl ppl don't start a flame war. I feel the temperature rising.
It would make the mods close this.

i think it's done anyway...you were the only person who thought the weapon was useless, and we convinced you of its use. done deal :p

You want something useless? How about those human shields that went to Iraq. Now that, is useless.

Anti-Tank weapons in the form of shells, are usually kinetic. A bullet is a kinetic round, and a *normal* M1A1 shell is a kinetic round. A hand grenade, or M203 shell, is not.

Remember the metal storm weapons? One of them fired 40mm (i think) grens, about 30 of them, at summit like 300,000rpm. That be a better support weapon, blanket the area all at once :)

I wonder what it's like to get bonked on the head by a grenade going 60mph.

Back