Goldeneye: Source Alpha Release

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Head over to the Goldeneye: Source website to give their recreation of the classic Nintendo 64 deathmatch game Goldeneye a try. They released the alpha version of the mod (which feels more like a polished beta to me) earlier today, their first public release of the game. Despite a few minor bugs that can be a tad irritating, it brings back that classic Goldeneye feel and spirit and is overall some damn good deathmatch.

Returning are several of the original guns, the maps egyptian, facility, and caves, and a few good looking player models that you're sure to recognize. If this game doesn't punch you in the face with nostalgia, chances are you never were privledged enough to play the original game half a decade ago.

I cannot play since I cannot find any servers for the life of me.. I don't approve.

Overall I rate this Christmas 0/100.

88.3 MB!

I wasn't going to post this because I'm not entirely sure whether the team are in a position to get sued or not, but if it's as good as you say it is,I'm not complaining.

Ive seen some people moaning about how it doesnt feel anything like the origional , lolz

It must be played :D

goldeneye 354

354 players for just an alpha, I say thats pretty damn good!

its fun for a little bit but it gets boring really fast:pyou need to play it with a group of friends for it to really do anything.

Nice job so far, few bugs here and there as expected of an alpha. The spawn killing a bit annoying. I wish there was some kind of crosshair (I know teh orginal didn't have one untill you pressed the R button). Maybe you could press a key to bring up a crosshair for bit at the expense of mobility, like you can move but you'll just move slowly or not at all. Or everyone will just put scotch tape on the center screen.

armanguy said:
its fun for a little bit but it gets boring really fast:pyou need to play it with a group of friends for it to really do anything.

Agreed. It's pretty much hl2dm with a different skin (no crosshair, tweaked weapons, etc), which is still encouraging for an "alpha", but not quite good enough to demand more than a couple hours' worth of playtime.

everyone will just put scotch tape on the center screen.

Haha, yeah. A few people said that they were doing that. Personally, I think the solution is to do like you said and implement the original GoldenEye feature. Ironsights might work, but they don't fit with the rest of the mod.

Does it feel anything like the original Goldeneye, or is it more like HL2dm?

Zaphod_ said:

Feels like Goldeneye but when you die it's similar to HL2DM... it's an alpha so stuff like that will change.

Give it a go! :thumbs:

lol its so funny, wicked job so far, its simple.. right mouse button held down should go into a circular crosshair, doing that would reduce walking speed and perhaps narrowing the field of view slightly.

and some kind of cheap blood dripping screen overlay and louder music when owned, for emphasis on the death.

Natalia and Borris player models ftw!

Pajari said:
Haha, yeah. A few people said that they were doing that. Personally, I think the solution is to do like you said and implement the original GoldenEye feature. Ironsights might work, but they don't fit with the rest of the mod.
So THAT's why some people seemed like they had an aimbot :|

Lol, I joined a server where like 8 people were doing it :D
If you just even showed a small part of your ear, you'd be killed instantly due to a headshot :|

i'll skip the Alpha/Beta phases and wait for version thats more complete :p

Zaphod_ said:
It's kind of a cross between the two. It's a bit slower and less hectic than HL2DM and feels very reminiscent of the original Goldeneye but they aren't quite there yet.

well all i can say is that the main fetures are implemented and the dev Team is on the right way.

Just a littlebit fine tuning and then the old times come....

1Luc1 said:
well all i can say is that the main fetures are implemented and the dev Team is on the right way.

Just a littlebit fine tuning and then the old times come....
What would make me happy are teams and some more tactics, not random bullet spamming :|

Yah i played with this a little bit. The graphics were good, but i found myself being more frustrated by the lack of any kind of crosshair anywhere than being able to enjoy myself.

eQUIV said:
Yah i played with this a little bit. The graphics were good, but i found myself being more frustrated by the lack of any kind of crosshair anywhere than being able to enjoy myself.
Maybe because the original one didn't have one either :p

Beerdude26 said:
Maybe because the original one didn't have one either :p

Actually it did, there was a button you hit that gave you a crosshair and/or zoomed in. I played that game religiously and I always used the crosshair.

Ah well, i guess this is just an alpha. Hopefully they incorporate that option. Otherwise I can't see myself playing it much.

eQUIV said:
Actually it did, there was a button you hit that gave you a crosshair and/or zoomed in. I played that game religiously and I always used the crosshair.
I know that ;) (My nephew and I used to play non-stop on it, <3 the Klobb :p)

But it doesn't have a crosshair while running.

Yes, but it also had some auto aim to compensate for the lack of crosshair, all you had to do was aim int he general direction.
This version has neither a crosshair or any kind of auto aim making it much more difficult and of course a few people just stick somit to their screen leaving themselves with a much bigger advantage than anyone else.
Only way to level the playing field in the pc version is a crosshair.

I agree that there should be a crosshair put in. Yes, it's trying to be like the original, but it is a remake...also, the original did have a crosshair when you needed it and like he said, there was autoaim which greatly helped.

I would also like to add that, Goldeneye is a very old game. It would be "neat" to have a complete remake that felt just like the original....but even then, it is a 9 year old game!

Sure, Goldeneye was fantastic at the time, but there's a little thing called progression. If they try to keep it just like the original, I honestly don't see the mod lasting that long - people will play it for a couple of hours or days, which will bring back nastalgic feelings, but then most people will lose interest and move on (IMHO).

Yeah I definately agree. I think keeping the general feel, weapons, and levels the same as the original. But the original did have some auto-aim to compensate for the lack of crosshair. The graphics are already alot better, why not fix some of the smaller odd-ends to make the PC version more enjoyable. Otherwise you might as well just play the N64 version.

I don't give it long before this is shut down, Nintendo aren't very friendly with copyrights.

ZoFreX said:
I don't give it long before this is shut down, Nintendo aren't very friendly with copyrights.
Got nowt to do with Nintendo mate, EA hold the cards with this.

Cormeh said:
Got nowt to do with Nintendo mate, EA hold the cards with this.
That's even worse!

They should have called it GoldenSpy and changed the characters names and so on.

What ammuses me is the way the original was such a copyright rip off in terms of the weapons. All the weapons were very good replicas of real world weapons, with the names changed a little bit. If they do get shut down, it will be an excercise in hypocracy.

Some one bring me an RCP-90, my trigger finger is itchy

Link, that is a good point....the K47 Soviet (AK47), the RC-P90 (FN-P90), the PP7 (PPK).... still though, they may be greedy and try to shut it down anyway, or they may ignore it. We can only just wait and see.

It's got nothing to do with greed.

Back