Good animes?

dafreakman

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ive been around since june 2003 and consider myself more of a lurker and dont post very much. But Ive often read that some guys here are big anime-freaks. Ive just seen wonderful days, my first anime, and its awesome. Do you guys no any other good animes in this style? Theres thousand to choose from and I have no idea which ones are good and which arent.

Azumanga Daioh is a good comedy anime if you like comedies.
Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien is a good drama anime

Meh, thats really the only 2 genres I watch lol.

and are they animated like wonderful days or are they like those ones that look like puppets with only their mouths moving?

:hmph: Why do people address it as Animes? Anime is used to both address it as one thing and plural.

My personal Fav is Cowboy Bebop.
The Gundam series has been loved by lots.
There's lots of series, I just can't think!!

Sorry, didnt mean to damage the holy image of the anime:) meh, I dont have much time to watch anime series, just movies.

I'll post a very extensive list of anime series & movies with links to places you can get them... Only it's on my linux partition, so I'll reboot in a minute and post it.

I don't know about "Wonderful Days" but if you like 'japanese humour' comedies, definitely get "Jungle wa itsumo hale nochi guu" and "Excel Saga". They are rather old already (2001?) but still there aren't many that beat them in being generally weird.

edit: oh just movies? .. well, good luck with that hah ;p

Wonderful Days is acually korean :)

Owell, here's the list ;)
Love Hina
Serial Experiments Lain
Full Metal Alchemist
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 1st GIG
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Naruto
Full Metal Panic
Trigun
Hajime no Ippo
Gundam the 08th Team

That should keep you busy ;)

Edit: Oh, and you HAVE TO take a look at Golden Boy :D

NOTE: When I say "Cory" or "Jenn St. Jean" i'm referring to a friend of mine that also likes anime
Good Bittorrent Client
http://azureus.sourceforge.net

General Torrent Sites
http://animesuki.com/
http://the-easy-tiger.net/ (Home of KAA (Kick Ass Anime))
http://anime.mircx.com/
http://depthstrike.com/anime-4ever/
http://a.scarywater.net/ (Listing of several fansub group's torrents)
http://www.boxtorrents.com/
http://www.gotwoot.net/torrents.php (Home of ANBU (Naruto source :D ))

If you ever want any more info on the series/movies below, checkout http://animenfo.com and search for the title, it'll give you a good view of what it's about.

If you watch berserk (which i recommend) you can get the manga at www.thehawks.org
If you want Naruto manga, inane does it
http://inane.mangareaders.com/
but they don't host it there you can get it at:
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~rmazores/naruto/

Macross Zero OAVs (or OVAs) (ANBU, beautiful.)
Last Exile (KAA, very good series)
Cowboy Bebop (movie & series at KAA)
Naruto (animesuki, ANBU, anime.mircx)
Berserk (anime4ever, my favorite series of all time :D )
Hellsing (Boxtorrents, KICKS ASS)
Serial Experiments Lain (KAA, kinda weird and a bit slow)
Gundam Seed (KAA, not a bad series)
.//Hack Sign (KAA, slow but good series)
Trigun (KAA, funny series, it's good)
Noir (KAA, awesome series)
Haibane Renmai (KAA, cory says it's good, I haven't seen all of it. It's a lighter series)
Full Metal Panic! (KAA, I really like this series)
Texhnolyze (KAA, don't mind the first episode, they start talking later on :D)
FLCL (KAA, neither I nor Cory have seen it, but it's gotten good reviews)
Saikano (KAA, nice looking series, i've seen 1-4 and i'll see more when KAA releases it)
Read or Die (KAA, Cory says read or die is really good... i haven't seen it yet)
Rahxephon (Anime4Ever, Boxtorrents, I really liked this series, it's kinda weird)
Rurouni Kenshin (Anime4ever, boxtorrents, nice series, stop once the mummy guy is dead, it gets boring REAL quick)
Rurouni OAVs (Ok, there are 2 sets of OAVs, the originals, then "seihousen")
watch Kenshin in this order:
Rurouni Kenshin OAVs
Rurouni Kenshin TV Series
Rurouni Kenshin Movie (Somewhere in the TV series, it's a side plot)
Rurouni Kenshin Seihousen
Great Teacher Onizuka (nice very inspiring series, anime4ever)
Shadow Skill (kinda corny, but neat sometimes, still going, it's on anime.mircx)
Witch Hunter Robin (very very nice series, not sure where to get, browse around or you could try boxtorrents)
Wolf's Rain (series looked pretty good, not sure again where to get, try boxtorrents)
Vampire Hunter D (for a better version go to anime4ever)
Ninja Scroll (KAA)
Spirited Away (you have the cd, good movie)
One Piece (Not sure about this, seems pretty funny, never watched any though)
Full Metal Alchemist (KAA is just picking this up, Cory and Jenn St. Jean both like it)
Grave of the Fireflies( T_T such an awesome movie... so sad...)
12 Kokuki (I saw the 1st ep or 2 or this awhile back and looked interesting, i'll try some more later)
Escaflowne Movie/Series (The movie is simply amazing, i haven't seen much of the series though)
Hikaru No Go (all about a board game called go that's pretty complicated, cory loves it, i hate it.. i find it slow)
GetBackers (Cory said this was pretty good, i watched 1ep and wasn't too impressed)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (A lot of people love this anime to bits, i haven't gotten around to watching it)
Gunslinger Girl (The name's corny, but the anime is very good, it's pretty worth it)
Shaman King (I want to see more of this, it's pretty funny)
Laputa : Castle In The Sky (nice movie)
Metropolis (Another good movie)
Ghost in the Shell (Wicked movie)
King of Bandit Jing (I saw like the first ep of this and was laughing my guts out, i'd like to check out more)

Some others you can try:
Shingetsu Tsukihime (I started watching this, but eventually stopped, it seemed pretty good though)
100 Stories (I watched 2eps, it has potential, but i'm not sure)
Dragon Drive (oh go, they could have ended it at 52 but they went on, so i dropped it)
Avenger (I eventually dropped it, it was going a bit slow, but its not a terrible anime)
Hack Sign spin offs (there's one after .//Hack and one before it)

I'm hard pressed to think of many more, if i do, i'll let you know

THe only ANime I've ever liked is Cowboy Bebop, i dispise the rest.

nw909 said:
Azumanga Daioh is a good comedy anime if you like comedies.
Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien is a good drama anime

Meh, thats really the only 2 genres I watch lol.

I'd suggest both of these also. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is a sad one.

I can't stand drama anime really...
the only good one imho is Grave of the Fireflies.

You'll come to understand that there are roughly two types of anime:
1. Stuff life Fruit's Basket, Love Hina, Chobits... All the pretty "girly" anime,the schoolgirl dramas and the semi-ecchi anime that's around... If you like that, that's fine.. Personally, I avoid that stuff like the plague, it's no better than watching the crap stuff that's here in North America.

2. Stuff like Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, LastEXILE... Great stuff, usually somewhat more action-oriented. Without the sappy and mindless schoolgirl stuff in it.

There are of course exceptions to the molds, I'm just using these two categories to represent the large part of anime.

And, a word of advice... The gundam stuff I have never found to be paticularly gripping or enjoyable. I'd say it's the "average" for anime.. It's not a bad thing, and it certainly can be great at times... It sure beats some of the stuff that's out there (Kanon, god i couldn't stand that)

I reccommend:

Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing
Love Hina

Also try Evangelion, Vampire Hunter D

I'd steer clear of Sailor Moon, anything dragonball, or gundam.

I've not seen much - now I'm off to look at Synthos' massive post! Thnks Synthos!

btw: you can catch Hellsing and Love Hina on winamp right now. Should probably wait for ep 1, but you can pick up on either on ep 4 or lower.

Woah, just woah. Thanks:) Now I really have something to do. Synthos, you are one sick fish. But thats fine if you'll keep on doing stuff like this.

Ninja Scroll owns them all.

Hey how is the series? I saw that they have Ninja scroll series too.

GunGrave is AWESOME, I just found out about it. It has an awesome story line. Guy and his buddies are in this gang who become entangled with the mafia and eventually the main charecters join up and become very powerful. Check them out.

Serial Experiments Lain <- a must see
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (and the soon to come sequel Akane Maniax)
Onegai Teacher
Onegai Twins
Green Green
Last Exile
Full Metal Panic
Chobits
Excel Saga
Puni Puni Poemi
All the Miyazaki movies
Hanaukyo Maids
I Wish You Were here
I, My, Me Strawberry Eggs <-- very fanservice.. very cute.. maybe too girly though ;)
Kanon
Love Hina
Mahoromatic
Now and Then Here and There
Saikano <-- must see! very sad... very good :/

Thats all i have in my head right now... most of them are romantic dramas, but you should really see Serial Experiments Lain (its not a romatic drama), its in a class of its own.

Hellsing, its better though when your British and can apreciate all the steps the team that made it took to make the Hellsing Britain look like Britain.

Deadline said:
GunGrave is AWESOME, I just found out about it. It has an awesome story line. Guy and his buddies are in this gang who become entangled with the mafia and eventually the main charecters join up and become very powerful. Check them out.

I started watching the first ep, but it progressed a little slowly and I never really got more interested in it... Does it pick up the pace at all?

Im on episode 10 and Brandon Heat has yet to be killed or whatever... so Im gonna say not until the later episodes... but the story is pretty cool, and its neat how Brandon and Harry progress through the ranks in Millenion.

My favorite is "Miyasaki's Spirited Away". Very imaginative movie. Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service were good too.

LittleB said:
My favorite is "Miyasaki's Spirited Away". Very imaginative movie. Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service were good too.

He makes great movies... no doubt about that.

There were only like 20 people in the cinema when i saw spirited away... too bad... was a great movie.

I thought the ending came too fast though, could been alittle longer.. but i think the ending had a meaning... go figure :)

Damn, awesome post synthos.
As far as what I watch..
Yuyu Hakusho
Ghost in the Shell (I just started watching it, seems great though)
Cowboy Bebop (You have to see this series if you're just getting into anime)
Outlaw Star
Trigun (meh.. wasn't all that great to me but worth watching)
Inuyasha

There's a couple more but I've brainfarted.

Hey thanks guys, I think im off to a good start. starting with spiritid away, castle in the sky and grave of the fireflies. If I like those ones Ill go for the series, but like I said I dont really like those anime without any animation at all, with just mouths opening and closing.

/me whispers... Serial Experiments Lain....

PM me after youve watched it for more info (if you didnt understand everything... which you wont the first time)

BTW, my avatar is from Lain.

dafreakman said:
Hey thanks guys, I think im off to a good start. starting with spiritid away, castle in the sky and grave of the fireflies. If I like those ones Ill go for the series, but like I said I dont really like those anime without any animation at all, with just mouths opening and closing.
All of them are beautifully animated so no worries... I prefer well animated stuff as well..
Don't forget vampire hunter D:Bloodlust (make sure it's bloodlust, the one before it is shit)
and if you haven't seen them already:
Akira
Princess Mononoke
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll

In the future (it's not available yet) take a look at Appleseed 2004 movie.. It looks absolutely incredible, it's a mix of CG, cell-shading and normal animation... its simply jaw dropping... take a look at the trailers here:
http://a-seed.jp

Synthos, quick question.
HOW HAVE YOU SEEN SO MANY ANIME?!

Sheesh!

hehe, not quite... I just put my bandwidth to good use, then watch them when I have time...
Now, there are a couple series on that list that I haven't seen or haven't seen all of... but most of them I have seen...

Think about it this way, I never watch north american tv... So take the number of hours I've seen of anime and compare it to a couch potatoe here... It's actually not that much when you take a look at the numbers.

I've been really watching anime since I started high school, so I've been watching for about 4 years now

Dragonball Z :LOL:

seriously though, everyone used to be into DBZ

Back