good news about the RC!

segobi

Reaction score
Hi!
Found this on the VU Games board from the mod:

"Hm. I think that is all. But hey, it's been two days and we haven't heard any bad news. They could be holding it in, they could have gotten the bad news yesterday, made a quick fix and then sent it off again, hoping we wouldn't notice, hoping we wouldn't know how long the testing period should really be. "

http://community.vugames.com/[email protected]@.1dd82db4/12

this sounds very positive...i think we'll have gold status next week..tuesday or wednesday :E

Not much news at all, really.

I can't think of any company that immediately broadcasts failing a first RC test from the publisher (and only a few that mention pre-gold RC announcements), so we'll only know by the time it takes to get a final RC approved for gold.

No news != good news.

Why would people run out and tell the internet if they'd found bugs so far?

The truth is, and everyone knows it, a 1st RC is more than likely to be rejected. It's time people faced the possibility rather than predicting we'll be playing Half-Life 2 in a week.

"Anyway.. let me think.. The game must not crash during the 72 hours on 20+ computers and testers going at it for the full 72 hours, round the clock."

Woah I never knew that. Hopefully it doesn't crash, remember the dude that visited valve and said the game crashed 20 times?

Iconoclast said:
No news != good news.

The truth is, and everyone knows it, a 1st RC is more than likely to be rejected. It's time people faced the possibility rather than predicting we'll be playing Half-Life 2 in a week.
wrong! :sleep:
at least the people at hl2fallout are happy about the news and are optimistic...you make my day sooo sad...

I think you'll find that it's called "being realistic"

Pi Mu Rho said:
I think you'll find that it's called "being realistic"

Realism is for pansies who can't deal with unreality! Half-Life 2 is coming out tomorrow. It shall be delivered to my house via spaceship. So say I, and so shall it be! Wait... Where are my pants? Somebody has stolen my pants!

*Runs madly in circles*

Sorry. I get that way when I'm tired.

Anyway, my guess is gold on the 22nd, and release 2 weeks later - which would mean a release around the 6th of next month. Now, the 6th would be a wednsday, so I'm guessing they'll go for a friday release. The 8th. Any takers?

pizzahut said:
piotrr is a developer, not a mod. ;)
Whatever, he knows what he's talking about. He also knows how painful QA can be...

If you read what Per says on that webpage, he says that there SHOULD NOT be any place in the game, when you dont know where to go etc.. thats bull? How fun is it to play a game if you know EXACTLY where to go all the time?
Another thing.. he mentioned that there no bugs concerning shadows going through walls etc etc.. that´s not important really.. by the time they´ve got the game in stores, they will have a fix for problems like that..
Im just concerned that VU holds the game back in vain..

/D

So what he's saying is that no news = good news. I'm just going to wait instead of interpreting any silence as anything good or bad.

I really don't foresee the initial RC being rejected. Valve has gone to great lengths to make sure that Half-Life 2 runs on as many hardware configurations as possible. That's essentially what the CS:Source betatest was/is for, right? That's exponentially more configurations than what Valve could test on their own, which means that Half-Life 2, and the Source engine as a whole, will be more bug-free than most engines.

So therefore, I predict that the current RC gets the OK to be copied and shipped by Wednesday, at the latest. Then give Vivendi two weeks to ship the game, and a Friday release, which brings us to the previously stated October 8th date.
Inanimate said:
If you read what Per says on that webpage, he says that there SHOULD NOT be any place in the game, when you dont know where to go etc.. thats bull? How fun is it to play a game if you know EXACTLY where to go all the time?
I don't think he meant that you'll immediately know exactly which way to progress through an entire level the moment it loads. It's more likely that the Valve level designers have designed the maps to get rid of areas where you really don't know where you're supposed to go. That's happened to me on a number of occasions in many games. In Half-Life, it happened only once in Interloper. But other games have you end up at places where there's no even remotely-clear path to take, and you end up wandering around looking for an exit that's out of place and camouflaged by the environment.

That's just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth I suppose.

Well, there can be crashes in that 72 hour period. But not all crashes are reduplicatable, if that is a word. It may not be the softwares fault that it crashes at some point, and others it may be. I think someone in that thread said that a crash bug usually has the be recreated before it is determined to be a high severity bug.

I agree with making how you progress through levels clear. I don't want my hand held, but I don't want to wander around the same area for an hour searching for how to continue, then find out it was actually simple. The physics should fix that though ;)

I can't wait until we actually have the game, and can stop arguing. :LOL:

If you think that people having the game is going to stop the arguing, you're deluded :)

yea. then we get to argue over which box art to get, about plot elements, about the cost of the game, about the sounds, graphics, story, weapons, the editor, the same for the remake of HL1, and of CS: Source, shoot, even about the plastic wrap that covers the CD/DVD...

Feath said:
Where'd that date come from?

Dunno but I have to write my last exam EVAR on Oct. 8th.. :bounce:

So let's hope that it won't be out earlier or I will be doomed! (no pun intended)

Pi Mu Rho said:
If you think that people having the game is going to stop the arguing, you're deluded :)

I miss the forums when they were all happy back in may-early sept. of last year :(

After reading the criteria for a game to pass, I wonder how some games have made it through...

Styloid said:
After reading the criteria for a game to pass, I wonder how some games have made it through...
I was wondering the same thing :p

HL2 is gonna have the worst and most highly critical audience...possibly alot of people are going to be disappointed...

seems to me that no matter how good OR bad, it just ain't gonna be good enough for y'all. too bad.

Iconoclast said:
No news != good news.

Hl's 1st RC got excepted.

That's true but their expectations for hl2 are much higher. When hl1 was RC they prolly played thru and thought "hey this game is kinda fun, I hope it sells well". With hl2 they are expecting to bank on it, and as such they will hold it to a much higher standard.

It isn't in any way unrealistic to think the first RC may be approved. It's quite the opposite really; Valve would not send off a RC for approval unless they were positive that the RC was the final cut and worthy of a gold label. Basically, if Valve felt that the game was ready to be approved for duplication and shipping by Vivendi, it has finally met their own incredibly high standards (which is what they've been working at for quite a few months now), and is without question complete.

JFry said:
That's true but their expectations for hl2 are much higher. When hl1 was RC they prolly played thru and thought "hey this game is kinda fun, I hope it sells well". With hl2 they are expecting to bank on it, and as such they will hold it to a much higher standard.

actually, their responce to HL1 was probably like "OMG OMG OMG This is AWESOME!"

You have to remember, nothing like that had come out before then. :D

Sorry all to be what may be called pesimistic but I feel that an early November date is in order..... Why you may ask....

Well from a marketing point of view and discussions with buyers from the retailers would take a while to put into place and its not easy for the marketing to be put in place at short notice due to contractual obligations with other publishers...

Apologies for the negativity ;(

Knobby said:

You're not being negative, you're being realistic. A lot of people here seem to have difficulty with that, to be honest.

I'd say November sounds about right, too. I can't really see it coming out much before then.

I dont think you should be focusing on any particular month, as it depends on this RC.

be patient, take it a day at a time, if you can.

Knobby said:
Sorry all to be what may be called pesimistic but I feel that an early November date is in order..... Why you may ask....

Well from a marketing point of view and discussions with buyers from the retailers would take a while to put into place and its not easy for the marketing to be put in place at short notice due to contractual obligations with other publishers...

How much marketing do you think Half-Life 2 really needs? It's already got a HUGE fanbase that will buy it even without seeing any ads whatsoever.

All you need is some posters and maybe a big cardboard "standup" display for the uninformed and that's it.

Really, if Doom 3 didn't need a thousand ads, neither will HL-2. All of the reviews that should start appearing next month will be plenty of free advertising already.

An end of September release is quite possible... worst, worst case an early to mid October release.

RhapSidious said:
How much marketing do you think Half-Life 2 really needs? It's already got a HUGE fanbase that will buy it even without seeing any ads whatsoever.

All you need is some posters and maybe a big cardboard "standup" display for the uninformed and that's it.

Really, if Doom 3 didn't need a thousand ads, neither will HL-2. All of the reviews that should start appearing next month will be plenty of free advertising already.

An end of September release is quite possible... worst, worst case an early to mid October release.

worst, worst case??..... idk man

Doom 3 did have lots of advertisements though. They were EVERYWHERE!

Knobby said:

Sounds about right, probably mid(if piotr claims about being so blissful as it is are correct)/late october if everything goes as planned.

Back