Gordon spotted through portals

But it would be really interesting if the Portal story was explored further in EP3 & the HL universe delved into further via Portal 2.

This. I want to know more about how Aperture Science and Portal fit into the storyline.

No and no, for the fiftieth time.

Quoted. For. Truth.

Seeing Gordon's face would be cataclysmic, and time paradoix would ensue. Who'd want that to happen? Just look at the cover of HL2, chew on that for a while.

This. I want to know more about how Aperture Science and Portal fit into the storyline.

G-Man is the administrator of Aperture Science?

And about Gordon getting the ASHPD, I doubt it will happen. My guess is AS was messing around with some large scale portal device and there were some unforeseen consequences thats why the Borealis just disappeared. Its a huge boat, how would it go through a small portal like what the gun does.

No, the G-Man is not the administrator of Aperture Science. Even if he's related to Aperture Science, he is not yet the administrator.

The G-Man is very likely a rebel going against his employers secretly.

Do you have some insider news from Valve? :LOL:

Do you have some insider news from Valve saying it WILL? :LOL:

Why the hell would they put "one level" of Portal puzzle solving into the game if they're never going to visit the concept in the Half Life series again?!
Apparently you haven't listened to the commentary on most of the games. It's kind of apparent that Valve loves to put puzzles in games more than once; there was the valves that you had to turn in order to stop the burning gas, there is the over used see saw puzzle, there are the numerous occasions where you crawl through the vent and power up the fuse box to open the powered lock, and there are countless others that are used in at least two situations.
They've never thrown in a whole new gun, concept, or aspect of the game that is used only once. They'd never go "Hey guys let's throw in a Portal puzzle in this one level and just hope the noobs have played Portal before kekeke". If you've played Portal (especially with the commentary) then you'd know that they forcibly "train" the player in most of the early levels for the real puzzles later on, i.e. the chamber 11 and above.
I find it surprising that vocal minorities like you still come to Halflife2.net, especially ones like you that think "gordan" should be seen in a mirror or in a portal, and that "alex" is either awesome or annoying.
Let me take an automatic presumption on your theory for the G-Man; he's "gordan" from the future? Maybe he's God or the Devil himself? Who the hell knows what kinds of ****witted theories you've come up with while scouring the internet.
I get that you like to voice your opinion, but voice it elsewhere and do it where people agree with you.
While you're at it, try learning the English language while you learn to stop being an idiot.

While you're at it, try learning the English language while you learn to stop being an idiot.

You are talking to the wrong person. Learn to behave and be polite, please. This is a civilized place. Go insulting people somewhere else. Thank you for your attention.
Your post has been reported.

Lol you can't even see gordon in water reflection = No portals in half life.

You are talking to the wrong person. Learn to behave and be polite, please. This is a civilized place. Go insulting people somewhere else. Thank you for your attention.

You're not even countering my argument, now you're just acting like you're some high and mighty member whos been here for a while.
While I haven't been here myself for much time compared to most, I've been here long enough to tell you that this argument has arisen before and that nearly everyone in the forum (as far as people who have a reputation) agrees that we shouldn't see Gordon.
Seriously, I've tolerated people like you in this forum for quite a while. Just ignoring the threads I sometimes even laugh at, I might make a reply to every few.
Quite frankly though, I've just about had enough of it. No less this one talks to me as if he's a veteran forum member.
And just for the record, the English language wasn't regarded towards you specifically, in fact I'd go so far as to say that your english is better than most in this forum. If I may I'd like to take the time to commend you for that.
That point was aimed more towards the "gordan" people in general.

I don't see the problem with 'seeing' Gordon. He's been seen many times before, in other HL-related games.

Oh yes, the answer to the question was right before our eyes :)
By the way, in the end I am curious to see how HL and Portal will intersect each other. Maybe Valve will go beyond the simple allusion and will include Aperture Science in the full Black Mesa/G-Man mythology. Only time will tell.

Maybe Valve will go beyond the simple allusion and will include Aperture Science in the full Black Mesa/G-Man mythology. Only time will tell.
Aperture Science is already in Half-Life mythology and it also involve Black Mesa and G-Man. Remember Borealis?

Aperture Science is already in Half-Life mythology and it also involve Black Mesa and G-Man. Remember Borealis?

Yes, I do. Let's see how this involvement is deep, talking about "unforeseen consequences" ;)

Just wasting some forum space with a lighthearted thought: in my opinion it seems very likely that EP3 will let us use the portal gun for a short period of time, maybe one puzzle map connected to Borealis. In that case we will be able to see Gordon through portals, breaking one of the unspoken rules of Half-Life, don't you think?

Hasn't this been discussed to no avail? Half of the people don't care that they'll be able to see Gordon's face, and the other half, being age-old Half-Life fans don't want to break with tradition. Personally I can't say how I'd feel about the loss of most "iconic" designs in Half-Life, like the crowbar or similar, but I don't think that allowing you to see Gordon would be something Valve would do. If the Portal Gun is obtained in Episode Three (which I object to strongly), I'd assume that you wouldn't be able to place portals in such a way that you can see yourself.

G O R D O N

Somehow I didn't notice either of those posts.

I think I've evolved to ignore people with an ignorance of that standard.

I don't see the problem with 'seeing' Gordon. He's been seen many times before, in other HL-related games.

Gordon was only seen in Gearbox games - not made by Valve themselves. Plus, neither Opposing Force or Blue Shift had Gordon as a protagonist. If Chell starred as the protagonist in a Half-Life based game, it might be possible that Valve provided us with a glimpse of Gordon. The taboo of seeing Gordon is really only taboo when you're him. References and photos to him enforce the idea of who you are. But actually seeing yourself in a mirror or something could take you out of the "zone". I know I certainly felt a lot less involved in Portal than I did with Half-Life, most notably when I could see Chell's model.

Although I doubt the portal gun will be in Ep. 3, I can't help but point out that this is more of an argument in favor of it's inclusion in Ep. 3.

That's a very terrible idea.

Well if it's so terrible that we see him I don't see a problem with that solution. Seriously, when was the last time you played HL2 and was like, "WTF? There are no mirrors in the entire ****ing game and the water doesn't have my reflection!" If it does have the Portal gun I don't see myself caring about not seeing Gordon, however little sense it makes

Well if it's so terrible that we see him I don't see a problem with that solution. Seriously, when was the last time you played HL2 and was like, "WTF? There are no mirrors in the entire ****ing game and the water doesn't have my reflection!" If it does have the Portal gun I don't see myself caring about not seeing Gordon, however little sense it makes
Exactly.

The Scenarios are like this:
A: You don't use Portals because you don't show Gordon.
B: You use Portals, but you don't show Gordon.

In both cases, you don't show Gordon. In one case, you implement a potentially gameplay enhancing feature that doesn't lose functionality because of your inability to show Gordon. The only reasons you see Chell through Portals in Portal are purely aesthetic (it looks cool, it looks accurate, that's it).

Just wasting some forum space with a lighthearted thought: in my opinion it seems very likely that EP3 will let us use the portal gun for a short period of time, maybe one puzzle map connected to Borealis. In that case we will be able to see Gordon through portals, breaking one of the unspoken rules of Half-Life, don't you think?
if this happens it will create a
TIME PARADOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if this happens it will create a
TIME PARADOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would be a very good chance for one of the many ghostly apparition of the G-Man. Through a portal ;)

No Portal Gun in Episode 3. We might catch a sly glimpse of Chell using it or hear the sound of the portals when they open but we will not be using one.

A thought: If they put in static portals, they could position them in such a way that you wouldn't be able to see yourself anyway.

Good idea, like Portals that have been placed by Chell and that she has yet to replace. I like the idea, or Portals that have simply been placed so Employees could travel around the ship faster.

Good idea, like Portals that have been placed by Chell and that she has yet to replace. I like the idea, or Portals that have simply been placed so Employees could travel around the ship faster.

Very intriguing. There's a lot to be told about Borealis and Aperture, the fate of its employees, the true story about GLaDOS and the involvement of the G-Man. In my opinion EP3 will deliver us a thrilling story.

They could have Alyx use the portal gun to help Gordon, like how she uses the sniper rifle.

They could have Alyx use the portal gun to help Gordon, like how she uses the sniper rifle.

I agree with this.
There is the possibility that if Gordon was given the portal gun, a player with a itchy trigger finger could potentially screw up a scripted part of the game causing errors to occur in the game. So i think that it'll be Alyx to be the one to use the portal gun if it is indeed used in episode 3.

A thought: If they put in static portals, they could position them in such a way that you wouldn't be able to see yourself anyway.

This has already been mentioned. If we did have a portal gun, it would be unlikely to work in many places, because in Portal it required a test environment to work properly.

I have no problem with portals in Episode Three, in fact, I find it extremely likely, but I hope for Valve's sake, there is no usable Portal Gun present.

Alyx using it seems a bit silly, to me. It annoyed me enough that she was able operate the sniper rifle, and I never got to touch it.

If we did have a portal gun, it would be unlikely to work in many places, because in Portal it required a test environment to work properly.
What about the last quarter of the game? I'd imagine the Borealis would offer a very similar environment.

I really don't think that Valve would include Portals in a different storyline. While it is nice to think about, its not really going to happen. Hasn't Valve stated this already?

What about the last quarter of the game? I'd imagine the Borealis would offer a very similar environment.

It can be argued that everything was planned, even the ending chapters and GLaDOS new exactly what she was doing. Thus the walls "outside" the test chambers were usable with the Portal gun.

I agree on the fact that the PG will disrupt Half-Life gameplay as we know and like it. But a single puzzle map, sort of a cameo from Portal, will be a fine cake for me ;-)

I'd love to go through one or two of those maps with a gravity gun - would make taking out turrets so much easier :). Not that I don't have a laugh occasionally with the impulse command in Portal as things are.

You're not even countering my argument, now you're just acting like you're some high and mighty member whos been here for a while.
While I haven't been here myself for much time compared to most, I've been here long enough to tell you that this argument has arisen before and that nearly everyone in the forum (as far as people who have a reputation) agrees that we shouldn't see Gordon.
Seriously, I've tolerated people like you in this forum for quite a while. Just ignoring the threads I sometimes even laugh at, I might make a reply to every few.
Quite frankly though, I've just about had enough of it. No less this one talks to me as if he's a veteran forum member.
And just for the record, the English language wasn't regarded towards you specifically, in fact I'd go so far as to say that your english is better than most in this forum. If I may I'd like to take the time to commend you for that.
That point was aimed more towards the "gordan" people in general.

CRAB....BATTLE!!! :rolleyes:

lol, i agree with Lenin

I just noticed this post, and was almost shocked to find it there. One member of the forums makes a comment that summarises as "nothing's determined as of yet, and unless you're working at Valve, we have no clue about whether the Portal gun shall or shall not be in Episode Three", and you immediately go on a seemingly angry rampage at him.

Why the hell would they put "one level" of Portal puzzle solving into the game if they're never going to visit the concept in the Half Life series again?!

Apparently you haven't listened to the commentary on most of the games. It's kind of apparent that Valve loves to put puzzles in games more than once; there was the valves that you had to turn in order to stop the burning gas, there is the over used see saw puzzle, there are the numerous occasions where you crawl through the vent and power up the fuse box to open the powered lock, and there are countless others that are used in at least two situations.

They've never thrown in a whole new gun, concept, or aspect of the game that is used only once. They'd never go "Hey guys let's throw in a Portal puzzle in this one level and just hope the noobs have played Portal before kekeke". If you've played Portal (especially with the commentary) then you'd know that they forcibly "train" the player in most of the early levels for the real puzzles later on, i.e. the chamber 11 and above.

Your point ends here. Having told us that you find it highly unlikely that we're only going to encounter one Portal puzzle in less than polite terms, you then continue.

I find it surprising that vocal minorities like you still come to Halflife2.net, especially ones like you that think "gordan" should be seen in a mirror or in a portal, and that "alex" is either awesome or annoying.
Let me take an automatic presumption on your theory for the G-Man; he's "gordan" from the future? Maybe he's God or the Devil himself? Who the hell knows what kinds of ****witted theories you've come up with while scouring the internet.
I get that you like to voice your opinion, but voice it elsewhere and do it where people agree with you.

At this point you lose your argument. I fail to sympathise with it, and realise that you're simply trolling this person. He's made it clear that he has no objection with seeing Gordon in a mirror or a Portal. That's his opinion. Ever considered that your opinion is not the only one in the world? So he said it. That makes him an "attention-seeker"? Surely that would make you an attention-seeker for voicing that you don't like his opinion. Or even an attention-seeker for pointing out someone's attention-seeking habits. Or even myself, for pointing out that you point out an attention-seeker is attention-seeking! So stop being so damn hypocritical and shut up.

As to these "gordan" and "alex" comments, he made no reference to "gordan" or "alex", or even any Gman theories. I can't believe how moronic you sound when trying to tell him he's a "fuckwit". Someone who thinks that the Portal gun should be placed into an Episode of Half-Life is not ignorant. They just have a different opinion of Half-Life. Gman theories and misquotes of someone's name make them ignorant of the topic. So I'd appreciate it if you don't mix up the two.

How about you learn the French language, eh? What right do you have to tell him to learn your language if you're not prepared to learn another? The fact that he's using relatively good punctuation and grammar show that he's at least trying. Which is better than you appear to be doing with this whole "tolerating" issue that you have.

You're not even countering my argument

You had no argument to counter. As soon as you started going onto the offensive, attacking him personally, you lost that. He has no requirements to defend himself, just as you have no right to insult him.

now you're just acting like you're some high and mighty member whos been here for a while.

High and mighty is the correct stance to take to someone as hypocritical and abusive as you. Reporting you is probably his best option. If you've been here so long, you should be respecting the new-comers for their opinion. Had it been a very ignorant or stupid opinion, you might have some sort of leeway in terms of abuse. But it wasn't. As you might have noticed, he started asking sensible questions. The questions of a newbie, not a noob.

Then why involving Aperture Science so deeply in the HL universe?

Why even bother abusing someone so cute as this?

While I haven't been here myself for much time compared to most

No, you haven't.

I've been here long enough to tell you

Longer than him by all of two months. Compared to the amount of time you've been here, that's insignificant.

that this argument has arisen before and that nearly everyone in the forum (as far as people who have a reputation) agrees that we shouldn't see Gordon.

So now you need a reputation to have an opinion? Well you certainly have one now. But I don't think I'll be particularly paying much more attention to any of these "opinions" of yours.

Taking a poll to the issue, you'd actually find that the overall opinion of this board is not quite as unanimous as you seem to think. This matter is a personal opinion. Thus there is no objective right or wrong.

I don't think you quite understand how ignorant you sound. Skimming over the fact that he showed no sounds of ignorance, as already discussed, you seem to think you've been here for all of eternity, playing Half-Life since emerging from your mother's womb, knowing the ins and outs of every single Half-Life game, knowing anything about Half-Life facts.

If you have to try and tolerate a newbie, don't bother talking to them. Just walk away and piss off.

If you have to try and tolerate a newbie, don't bother talking to them. Just walk away and piss off.

Concur.

Wow Druckles, what a ****in burn. Yet he deserved it. Let the debate continue.

/debate

It wouldn't be bad to see Gordon whilst playing as him. I mean, it's like Valve not having Barney in ep2, some people will get annoyed, but it doesn't really matter.

Although really I think people just want the Portal challenges in HL2:ep3 because they like both games and want to see them together.

yeah i think the portal gun should jest stay in the portal world and not interfear with the half life universe, it would jest make things complecated and confusing, not to mention that valve wouldent even bother putting it in half life 2 episode 3 if they say the posts and threads about the portal gun in ep3 on Halflife2.net.

Spell check is a wonderful thing... Let me guess... You're around 8 years old? because you don't know how to spell "jest" (Just*) and if you're older than 10, that's a bad thing.

Just*
Interfere*
Complicated*
Wouldn't*

:p

Anyways, I don't really believe in the whole "OMG, IF I SEE GORDON, I DON'T ENJOY THE GAME!" Shut the f*ck up about that, because when I played duke nukem I could see his image, and I enjoyed the game thoroughly. Besides, I have never been on a planet that was invaded with aliens, called "The combine" and my name is definitely not Gordon.

Speak for 'yerself. I have been to Xen, freed a planet from the Combine, and one of my many, many names is Gordon.

Because Duke Nukem is a game that really pushes the envelope on things like characterization and player narrative.

It's not a matter of genre, but style. Duke's is entirely different from HL's.

I think it's important, for the sake of Portal, that the gun not be usable by Gordon, himself, in EP3. I'm sure it's application in the game wouldn't be that much different from how it was in the original Portal, and you've got to realize that there's also a much more fleshed out game behind Half-Life. Not only could you use the Portal gun but also the rest of Gordon's arsenal, and you'd be doing so in a much bigger environment with a lot more possibilities.

What would be the point of playing Portal, and what would be unique about it anymore after something like this?

Back