Gordo's reflection

But still, we just dont really know.

EDIT: Deleted my signature for easier read of thread.

oh i thought Dagobert was going on about reflections still... not scanned in images.

i have no comment then as i dont have the faintest idea whats possible or not with digi scans.

I don't know what he was talking about and I don't wanna assume, cause that's when people pounce all over you.

Originally posted by Fenric1138
can someone take some screengrabs of MP2 or other games where the full body is there, showing how it looks, and those with reflections too. Be interesting to see

http://home.comcast.net/~shuzer/mpreflection1.jpg
and
http://home.comcast.net/~shuzer/mpreflection2.jpg
The second screenshot is very very nice in game, I've never seen such a great reflective surface.. beautiful :)

Originally posted by iamironsam
I'll make a mod that reflects a black siloutte of your character with "Your Face Here" written on it for you.

lol! Anyone ever played MDK2? The mirrors in that game have a static looking texture on them and a piece of paper taped to them that reads "OUT OF ORDER", pretty funny

no it wouldnt... im SURE source would make any motion and modeling look perfect.
Nonsense. No game engine can make somebody strafing and looking around with a mouse look good. Humans can't do most of the things players do in FPSs, and for that reason a character in a reflection will never look totally right.

Originally posted by Dagobert
Nonsense. No game engine can make somebody strafing and looking around with a mouse look good. Humans can't do most of the things players do in FPSs, and for that reason a character in a reflection will never look totally right.

Who cares? They could make it look at least as realistic as the rest of the characters in the game. It's not unlike looking at another character in MP mode. The characters move a lot more realistically in HL2 as well. They're upper and lower body move as one instead of independently like HL1, damn that looked silly.

They could do things like make your characters eyes scan it's reflection in the mirror to make it look more realistic. The faces are a lot more realistic in HL2 so the reflection would be a lot more convincing. Idle animations triggered by mirrors would be cool too, like you look at yourself for more than a couple seconds and you start making sexy smirks or goofy faces at yourself.

Originally posted by Shuzer
http://home.comcast.net/~shuzer/mpreflection1.jpg
and
http://home.comcast.net/~shuzer/mpreflection2.jpg
The second screenshot is very very nice in game, I've never seen such a great reflective surface.. beautiful :)

lol! Anyone ever played MDK2? The mirrors in that game have a static looking texture on them and a piece of paper taped to them that reads "OUT OF ORDER", pretty funny

heh yeah the second pic does look very nice :)

well that settles it then, bodies for all :)

Originally posted by Fenric1138
heh yeah the second pic does look very nice :)

well that settles it then, bodies for all :)

Yah it does, I wasn't thinking about that pic when I posted before. I was only talking about reflections in the mirror. The reflection in that pic is totally different than the reflection in the mirrors. That ones done with DX9 shaders.

Does anyone remember the ill mirrored surfaces from Blue Shift? Now those were bad ass!

The mirror reflections are done with DX9 as well, I believe, as they don't work on my brother's computer.. I could be wrong, but it doesn't work on a DX7 card

Originally posted by iamironsam
Who cares? They could make it look at least as realistic as the rest of the characters in the game. It's not unlike looking at another character in MP mode. The characters move a lot more realistically in HL2 as well. They're upper and lower body move as one instead of independently like HL1, damn that looked silly.

I've always wondered why the only real reflection I've seen in a game was Quake3, first level.. that looked great, and it wasn't a DX9 effect or anything

I've always wanted more mirrors in games since I was spoiled by that

Operation Flashpoint has feet. Hell you can even shoot yourself in them and die LOL.

Originally posted by Shuzer
The mirror reflections are done with DX9 as well, I believe, as they don't work on my brother's computer.. I could be wrong, but it doesn't work on a DX7 card

don't need DX9 for reflections in HL1 or its ilk. Seems its in there, working, just wasn't fully used (and I don't remember reflections in BS apart from the box screenshots and somewhere near the beginning, Spirit of Half-life has some neat reflection features

They could make it look at least as realistic as the rest of the characters in the game.
No you couldn't, because the other characters don't circle strafe, jump 5 feet in the air and rotate incredibly fast on the spot.

Originally posted by Dagobert
No you couldn't, because the other characters don't circle strafe, jump 5 feet in the air and rotate incredibly fast on the spot.

Oh, well, then don't do that in front of the mirror. It makes you look foolish.

lots of things make you look foolish when done in front of a mirror.

write that down.

Do something constructive in front of the mirror, like trimming your nosehairs or beating off.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't, I mean you had a visible reflection in Deus Ex 1 and it's pretty old now.

I dont think its importent, unless someone has an ego issue and needs to stop by every mirror to see there sexy player model :p

I hope to see my floating arm holding a gun in mirrors, and that's it :) lol jk

I bet you can see floating arms in Stalker, and DoomIII, but no way are they in Hl2. STALKER PWNZ!!! RAHHH!!!! Nobody is as good as me, my word is divine. ;)

Whoa, EE, how did you get GVs account?? that's some crazy |-|4><0r2

watch out you might ban yourself.

edit: you've writing has become a lot more concise under your new name, btw.

Originally posted by Lil' Timmy
Whoa, EE, how did you get GVs account?? that's some crazy |-|4><0r2

watch out you might ban yourself.

edit: you've writing has become a lot more concise under your new name, btw.

Thank you for coming to realization that I am better than you. Ha! You're an ignorant grade-schooler, who's biased with a game on it's very forums. How closed minded, and missplaced, is that?!?!?!? Nobody can stop me, because of my blinding Facto-vision!!! Ghost will never find me, I have his account ah ha ha ha!

Originally posted by Menelaos
I can't imagine why they wouldn't, I mean you had a visible reflection in Deus Ex 1 and it's pretty old now.

Yeah, but the reflections looked kinda stupid in parts, and made a lot of the unrealistic things more prominent. If you swung a crowbar or reloaded a weapon, the hand animations didn't match up with the reflection at all. Also, whenever you used an object (like a water fountain), you would see that the character remains motionless and moves his hand forward slightly to represent all the actions.

Mirrors that looked good enough to fit the realism of HL2 would mean the Gordon would need full-body animations, idle animations, etc. all of which would need to match the animations of the weapons in hand.

Even with all that, you wouldn't be able to smile at yourself or make a goofy face at will, like with a real mirror. You'd only see gordon's static face looking back.

Mirrors aren't really the problem, it's the fact that you would need near-perfect character animations for gordon in order to prevent visual flaws and errors in his reflection. Valve must have just spent thier time on more important things than this, since it's a lot of work for little payoff.

Soon I will have allo f your accounts! T henI wil lrule thesef orums! AHAHAHAHHAHAHAH, everting I s ay is fact! Like the Bible says:

"If thou art if thee child thou is thine thor Halloween!"
Bob 2324:5465

Marijuana will turn you into Godzilla!

GG_I win, case close dbecause I'm right!

I'll repeat - WTF is going on?

Hahahah Doom3 usesn ormal mapping wihch means its better than hl2!!!!!!!!!!!111111111~@

GG_i win.

"Andy ou can make lights swing!!! How much doest hat beat HL2s stupid gamepla yand story!"

David Blaine 18:3

Oh oh oh and because I can argue my opinions as fact that means Imright. And smart. And I don thave anyi ssues.

Show me one place where I was wrong and I'll go away (not really).

Originally posted by Chris_D
I'll repeat - WTF is going on?

I dunno, either someone's got hold of someone elses account, or people are just being silly.

Can you temporarily ban people if their acting suspicious. Just incase someone has got hold of their accounts?

I can't. D33 has been informed, must be a joke. Hilarious.

If it's a hack, it reminds me of that angsty, suicidal kid that wanted to create chaos and stuff. To prove he was hardcore, he flew his plane into an empty bank. Sometimes teenagers need to vent their anger.

Originally posted by Styloid
If it's a hack, it reminds me of that angsty, suicidal kid that wanted to create chaos and stuff. To prove he was hardcore, he flew his plane into an empty bank. Sometimes teenagers need to vent their anger.

can't they just do it the old fashioned way, with a noose in their bedroom and the usual note "goodbye cruel world" and not bother anyone else about it

sorry to those who might find that a bit blunt :)

Well, reflections aren't the only thing that are a challenge, but gordon's interactions with the world as well. What is he going to be mind controlling the steering wheel and doors for this and HL3 too? They are going to remove all mirrors because it yanks you out of the immersion? Come on, I think seeing nothing is worse than seeing gordon. Immersion is not as hard to break as everyone thinks, and especially since valve being the god of object and character interaction, they could pull off SOMETHING that looks convincing. Personally, I don't want them to just blow it off and have us wait for a mod that won't even be professional quality.

Back