Grace

The Dark Elf

Reaction score
Well, Painting of my friend Grace, its taken just over a day to do, and I like it :)

grace.jpg

And a cropped full size section of it (but I had to compress the hell out of it to make it reasonable size and not eat up bandwidth)
http://www.phantomworks.co.uk/tde/art/gracefull.jpg

gracephoto.jpg

very smart picture sir :)

Great texture on the hair and t-shirt and the eyes are spot on.

/me tips his hat

Holy crap...

The folds in the clothes and distortion of the batman symbol...
The perfect skin that looks so soft you can touch it...
The subtle markings in the hair...
Those innocent, curious eyes...

You're too good.

my opinion is that her face looks kind of too blury compared to the well, realistic looking hair. It looks like someone is draging the shirt from behind, when looking on the shoulders and the arms are maybe too fat or is her body to thin ?

else its really good and you are awsome when its about art :>

.... I hate you in my jealousness :p

excellent as always :borg:

Suicide42 said:
Holy crap...

The folds in the clothes and distortion of the batman symbol...
The perfect skin that looks so soft you can touch it...
The subtle markings in the hair...
Those innocent, curious eyes...

You're too good.

hehe naa, im sure it could look better if I tried harder.

bliink said:
I really like the way the hair is..

Thanks, yeah I got carried away with the hair (which is why her face looks blurred next to it almost)

Garfield_ said:
my opinion is that her face looks kind of too blury compared to the well, realistic looking hair. It looks like someone is draging the shirt from behind, when looking on the shoulders and the arms are maybe too fat or is her body to thin ?

else its really good and you are awsome when its about art :>

agreed, as I say, got carried away with the hair, then found it a problem sharpening up the face without it ending up looking a lot different, also there's a slight glow effect I added later which probably doesnt help much.

Her shirts ok, though the batman logo in the reference looked flat, in the painting it didn't look right so I just added some folds in it, which probably don't fit the rest of the shirt.

Her arms and shoulders look like that (she's a pro swimmer)

Hazar said:
.... I hate you in my jealousness :p

excellent as always :borg:

hehe thankies :D

Thats pretty cool. But you need to work on the fine details though, like the eye lids for example (I know what you're thinking, "picky picky picky" but i'm just saying)

Nose looks a little distorted, and i think the thing under the nose (forgot what it's called lol) is too well defined, when take the lighting into consideration (which is also the problem with the nose, the lighting). And then ofcourse the pre-mentioned eyes. But otherwise, the hair is great, the sweet rouche skin tone is cool. :)

the only thing i think is a little off which could be fixed easily is her upper lip but besides that TDE, YOU ARE GOD i personaly aprecciate what you do because I am an aspiring artist Keep up the EXCELLENT work!!

Yay! thanks everyone for the HONEST comments.. I've noticed people being more honest and saying what they think is wrong since I stopped being a mod, I didn't get the honest comments back then, scared of being banned probably lol

Danimal said:
:thumbs:

You've done it again! :D

heh thanks :)

MarcoPollo said:

:)

Sparta said:
Thats pretty cool. But you need to work on the fine details though, like the eye lids for example (I know what you're thinking, "picky picky picky" but i'm just saying)

hehe I don't mind, it shoulda been more defined really.

SupremePain said:
Nose looks a little distorted, and i think the thing under the nose (forgot what it's called lol) is too well defined, when take the lighting into consideration (which is also the problem with the nose, the lighting). And then ofcourse the pre-mentioned eyes. But otherwise, the hair is great, the sweet rouche skin tone is cool. :)

nose seems fine, the eyes bother me though

MarcoPollo said:
the only thing i think is a little off which could be fixed easily is her upper lip but besides that TDE, YOU ARE GOD i personaly aprecciate what you do because I am an aspiring artist Keep up the EXCELLENT work!!

yeah the bit between her upper lip and nose, agreed, shoulda really blurred that more tbh.

The Dark Elf said:
Yay! thanks everyone for the HONEST comments.. I've noticed people being more honest and saying what they think is wrong since I stopped being a mod, I didn't get the honest comments back then, scared of being banned probably lol

I'll reply fully in a few, well i've got ages thanks to the 26 day long edit times :p
I remember my first post in this forum to be a critique of your work :LOL:

/me asshole

but you know i wuw ya.. :p

The shirt looks kind of gaudy; I don't quite know how to put it, but something about the tones just doesn't look right. Rest is spot-on though, lovely as usual fenric.

Honest opinion:

The face seems to be too blurred.

Excelent mate. I'm no artist so I can't really give any critique lol. So yeah.... fantastic. :)

uploaded the original photo I worked from, for comparison. Shoulda last night but forgot.

SupremePain said:
I remember my first post in this forum to be a critique of your work :LOL:

/me asshole

but you know i wuw ya.. :p

Heh I don't remember hehe

Ranga said:
i admire ur work :D

perfect, as usual :thumbs:

venturon said:
The shirt looks kind of gaudy; I don't quite know how to put it, but something about the tones just doesn't look right. Rest is spot-on though, lovely as usual fenric.

Yeah, but when compared to the original (just uploaded it) the color was very bright already, kinda dayglo i guess.

Danimal said:
Honest opinion:

The face seems to be too blurred.

agreed

Garfield_ said:
ohh pro swimmer :D

lol

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Excelent mate. I'm no artist so I can't really give any critique lol. So yeah.... fantastic. :)

course you can. If something doesn't look right thats not already been noticed, say so hehe

The Dark Elf said:
nose seems fine, the eyes bother me though
I disagree, i zoomed in on it for ya. Look at the allignment, for a long, long time. Then you'll see the warping.
untitled2copy8zh.jpg

i say.... on the zoom in, the little / \ bit from the nose to the top lip is too deep....

but that certainly does not mean the work is below 100% :D

still perfect :D

and i also say that grace looks somewhat like that crazy woman from blackbooks.... :D

TDE, can I kill you and steal your soul+artistic skills?;)*Take it as a compliment :p*

SupremePain said:
I disagree, i zoomed in on it for ya. Look at the allignment, for a long, long time. Then you'll see the warping.
untitled2copy8zh.jpg
play with the coloring, it just looks like that because the shading on the nose and the far cheek are very similar.

Also don't forget noses aren't perfect, even a "perfect" nose isn't perfectly shaped. Which is what I was trying to do with it in a way.

But I don't like the eyes.

Great picture TDE, I love the way you make your paintings so gloomy and natural :)

CrazyHarij said:
Great picture TDE, I love the way you make your paintings so gloomy and natural :)
I wanna make em more fantasy looking :D

I did do a couple of versions before this one and was trying for an elvish look, but they didn't work out too well

I don't like the eyes, if the eyes were more like how Toffee did her female eyes, the painting would be amazing, as her eyes were so deep. It might just be the style of the painting, your painting seems to flow and be quick with a large brush rather than very intricate.

Razor said:
I don't like the eyes, if the eyes were more like how Toffee did her female eyes, the painting would be amazing, as her eyes were so deep. It might just be the style of the painting, your painting seems to flow and be quick with a large brush rather than very intricate.
I can do eyes

finalimage.jpg
one from ages back (photoshop IIRC).

Not sure about the eyes - they are a bit too... well, brown. And the hair is far to dark to be blonde. In fact she looks nothing like Charlize Theron at all.
Maybe you should stick to vases and apples...

apart from that it's fine :D

CR0M said:
Not sure about the eyes - they are a bit too... well, brown. And the hair is far to dark to be blonde. In fact she looks nothing like Charlize Theron at all.
Maybe you should stick to vases and apples...

apart from that it's fine :D
wtf lol, i had to read that twice before i realised what the hell you were talking about haha

hmm Charlize Theron huh.., if you knew who I knew, you'd want me dead SO fast :E

-

Crush, no tis just an eye, there were WIP pics that went with it but I can't find those now

Truly brilliant !

Like everyone else said the face seems blurry because of the detailed hair in comparison, and my only other thoughts are something looks off between the upper lip and nose. Other than that, my God amazing stuff! I wish I had your talent :(

Top Secret said:
Everyone's thinking it, I'm just saying it.

She's pretty hot.

top secret, you just crossed the line. POW */me shoots top secret* how can one think such things about a piece of art? the thing that you just said you thin is hot is only 1's and 0's! :naughty:

The original woman isn't...

Do you ever work in "real" media such as paint and paper as opposed to digital?

Farrowlesparrow said:
The original woman isn't...

Do you ever work in "real" media such as paint and paper as opposed to digital?
not anymore no

The Dark Elf said:
not anymore no

how come?

i find it incredibly hard to draw/paint on computers, im amazed that everything you do is so good..

Back