Gravity affecting crossbow bolts

R

redpoints

Since the physics engine is so advanced, does anyone know if the crossbow bolt's flight path will be affected by gravity? I personally think it would be silly to be able to snipe some guy's head half a mile away with a crossbow sights trained on his temple. The bolt does fly pretty slow, especially compared to that magnum rifle.

I don't think so, bullets won't be affected by ballistics so I doubt the crossbow bolts will.

we're have to wait and see, an interesting question... i dont think it will, i think it'd be annoying to have to aim an inch above a target, just because you are at a distance, to hit it.

I think this boils down to one of those "gameplay > realism" type things.

You would have to be shooting at something pretty far off to have to need to adjust the aim anyway methinks. Which probably wouldn't come about too often.

Im hoping not .. I just hope they will stick in the wall. for exampel; you kill a zombie with the crossbow near a wall . the arrow and the zombie are stapled to the wall... :p

dkelly said:
You would have to be shooting at something pretty far off to have to need to adjust the aim anyway methinks. Which probably wouldn't come about too often.

Well actually, your typical crossbow fires at about 300ft/s, and if you are shooting a guy 600ft away, like some of those environments definitely allow you to do, you would have to significantly alter your aim to hit em. Pretty much, a crossbow would be useless at long range if they made it realistic. My guess is the bolts will just fly laser straight.

It's not really a physics issue, this kind of thing can and is done in games without a physics engine.

For all you realism freaks, the sight is range-adjusted ;).

kiwii said:
Im hoping not .. I just hope they will stick in the wall. for exampel; you kill a zombie with the crossbow near a wall . the arrow and the zombie are stapled to the wall... :p
It would be pretty cool to nail a combinear to the wall by shooting a crossbow bolt in each of his arms... then go at him with the crowbar... Muahaha...

I hate aiming an inch above there head in painkiller, I hope they don't do it in Half-Life 2.

Yellonet said:
It would be pretty cool to nail a combinear to the wall by shooting a crossbow bolt in each of his arms... then go loose on him with the crowbar... Muahaha...
:eek:.....

Again, it's one of those gameplay > realism type things But if people are really keen about it, I'm sure it could be "modded in".

Hopefully we'll see some good mods that will include realistic ballistics.

I think that it has been said that the arrows are physical objects flying through the air,so they are going to affected by gravity. please correct me if i'm wrong-

Realistic ballistics are a must for a mod that features artillery weapons.

redpoints said:
Well actually, your typical crossbow fires at about 300ft/s, and if you are shooting a guy 600ft away, like some of those environments definitely allow you to do, you would have to significantly alter your aim to hit em. Pretty much, a crossbow would be useless at long range if they made it realistic. My guess is the bolts will just fly laser straight.

Well in HL1, the single player game had slow bolts.. multiplayer had laser straight bolts so meh.

i'd have no problem adjusting my aim for range. i do that all the time whenever i play in a tank in any of the battlefield games or use the grenade launcher in battlefield vietnam

crossbows aren't supposed to be sniper rifles anyway, medium range is more likely

their main advantage would be the ability to bypass kevlar and their lack of a muzzleflash or significant source of sound

You know, I just imangined something really cool,

for any of you who have played Painkiller with the wooden stake, imagine that in hl2 D:, if the crossbow could nail people to walls ect, It would just OWN!

switch said:
You know, I just imangined something really cool,

for any of you who have played Painkiller with the wooden stake, imagine that in hl2 D:, if the crossbow could nail people to walls ect, It would just OWN!
Ya know, I thought somewhere in the info thread they said that is possible in HL2.

Ok, let's clear up the crossbow bolts thing.

The corssbow will fire bolts in a sniper fashion and will not be affected by gravity. They intend to make it similar to HL1's sniper crossbow.

Before you argue physics, remember that each entity has characteristics which define how the physics engine affects it. They will simply make the bolts unaffected by gravity and instantaneous firing. They WILL stick into the wall, and can also stick players and objects as well. this has been confirmed by Valve on the FAQ.

Although the idea of a crossbow being used as a sniper weapon is a "bit" ridiculous, I kinda liked it in HL1. Esp in the Crossfire map.

Well, if the crossbow is the only long range weapon, then there will definetly not be any gravity affecting the bolts.

Otherwise, I still doubt there would be gravity on the bolts.

I wonder if you can catch an arrow or a rocket for that matter with the manipulator if you are quick enough...

JFry said:
That's just a matter of taste really.

Not really. Playing battlefield 1942, would you rather jump into a plane and go, or sit there for 4 hours while your 7 man crew fuels your plane, wait for the armorments trolly to load your 2 bombs and mg bullets. Would you then like to go through the 30 minutes of saftey and system checks before one of your teammates pulls away the chocks and you get airbourne.

urseus said:
Not really. Playing battlefield 1942, would you rather jump into a plane and go, or sit there for 4 hours while your 7 man crew fuels your plane, wait for the armorments trolly to load your 2 bombs and mg bullets. Would you then like to go through the 30 minutes of saftey and system checks before one of your teammates pulls away the chocks and you get airbourne.

yes i would

Uhhh no you wouldnt. Dont be a smartass.

At some point, complete realism has to stop for gameplays sake.

urseus said:
Uhhh no you wouldnt. Dont be a smartass.

At some point, complete realism has to stop for gameplays sake.

ok now you are just putting words in my mouth. plus, it wouldnt take four hours of sitting in a plane, definately not in an emergency too

urseus said:

The latter :rolleyes:

if any of you have played Operation flashpoint you would know that making a game realistic doesn't neccesarily reduce gameplay.

24Gamer said:
if any of you have played Operation flashpoint you would know that making a game realistic doesn't neccesarily reduce gameplay.

I do, its fun, but surely not cuz its realistic, cutting in the jungle with a dune buggy going tru trees aint realist, but its fun :E

urseus said:

Also, if you die in the game, you should be indefinitely banned from playing on all servers. You should optionally be able to spectate after your death, depending on your religious beliefs.

jkf said:
Also, if you die in the game, you should be indefinitely banned from playing on all servers. You should optionally be able to spectate after your death, depending on your religious beliefs.

i believe in reincarnation

redpoints said:
Since the physics engine is so advanced, does anyone know if the crossbow bolt's flight path will be affected by gravity? I personally think it would be silly to be able to snipe some guy's head half a mile away with a crossbow sights trained on his temple. The bolt does fly pretty slow, especially compared to that magnum rifle.
You can have crossbow bolts effected by gravity in hl1, even in quake1. The problem is, it's tricky to make it realistic and usable/fun at the same time. You really need to tweak the speed and amount of gravity on a x-bow bolt to make it fun.

whoever said crossbows are for sissies was wrong, it took me like 20 minutes to cock the old crossbow i have, and there's still an arrow lodged in a tree at my old house.

scatr99 said:
i believe in reincarnation
Yeah, but you get reincarnated as a baby, so then you have to wait 18 years (game time, however game time = real time) before you can play another game online.

Back