Gravity...

I played a Commodoore 64 game once where there were two planets that were close enough to each other that their surfaces were parallel, and you flew this space-jet kind of thing in between them and shot at baddies. When you passed halfway between the two planets, your gravity would flip, and you could land on the surface of either planet if you were careful. Anyone remember the name of it?

Originally posted by nw909
You can change your FOV in HL1.

Play NS, be an alien, walk on the wall, observe.

Yes, observe how the FOV doesn't change, even on the ceiling.

Originally posted by ElFuhrer

Silly ElFuhrer, you're forgetting to flip your monitor upside down :) :)

Originally posted by Hipshot
Yea, SS did the gravity thing, and it was very cool to, but I dont think that would fit in normal HL2, probobly in a mod. ...
Why do you say so? Half Life had a lot of weird stuff in the zen levels, as well as those leading up to it... I think that there are easily enough storyline options that could be created to explain the bizzare gravity phenomenon('s) that we are talking about... not that an explanation is necissary. It's not like they realy explained all those jump-pad thingies in hl1...

...Unless you meant "... but I dont think that would fit [because-if-they-tried-to-stuff-this-bit-of-coolness-into-the-source-code-along-with-the-massive-amount-of-new-coolness-already-there,-it-would-explode-and-tragically-kill-the-valve-development-team] in normal HL2." ...than I can except that. :E

-Phision

Originally posted by Adam
FYI: Info obtained from an illegal beta is of no concern to me, and is subject to change in the near future.

Buggy is a car, car can roll over up and around, fov must rotate in HL2 in order to the game to be realistic enough, if it doesn't, Valve must release a patch.

Originally posted by ElFuhrer

The FOV changes - it doesn't rotate. The creators have stated that they didn't WANT it to rotate because they felt it would be less fun. I don't know if it's possible to rotate it or not.

I tried making space sim style physics and FOV with friend to HL1 but the friend got too busy with school and work so we never got the project that far, unfortunately. :(

Originally posted by Phisionary
Why do you say so? Half Life had a lot of weird stuff in the zen levels, as well as those leading up to it... I think that there are easily enough storyline options that could be created to explain the bizzare gravity phenomenon('s) that we are talking about... not that an explanation is necissary. It's not like they realy explained all those jump-pad thingies in hl1...

...Unless you meant "... but I dont think that would fit [because-if-they-tried-to-stuff-this-bit-of-coolness-into-the-source-code-along-with-the-massive-amount-of-new-coolness-already-there,-it-would-explode-and-tragically-kill-the-valve-development-team] in normal HL2." ...than I can except that. :E

-Phision

What I mean is, that even if you are on another planet, the gravity still would be to the center of the planet, not up agains some wall :) And I think that it would be odd if you in HL2 in City 17 suddleny could walk on the walls, of course, if you were in a room where the gravity would be none, then you would be able to walkt the roofs and walls.

This is all possible in HL1 with some heavy modifcations. The Opera has rolling & flipping moves, but they don't let you control the xhair until the move has finished.

Im sure you can change the camera, and rotade the fov and so, but change the gravity is another thing, just because like an alien stick to a wall that dosent mean that the whole gravity is changed and that you can walk on the walls and jump and then land on the wall again... throw a grenade that lands on the wall...

with cl_pitchup or cl_pitchdown u can see upside down but the movement is messed up

The skulk walking on walls and ceiling is probably like a ladder that it can only use

When NS was in early beta testing, Flayra did implement a FOV system in which the skulks rotated along the points on the map. The problem with this, especially with the Half-Life 1 engine, is that Half-Life 1 maps are based on box set brushes. Half-Life does not have the system geometry to properly handle complex brush techniques that are seen in games like Alien Vs Pred 2. While it CAN do these types of maps, it would put a strain on everyones systems with the ungodly r_speeds. A VS P 1 and 2 maps are built to handle the FOV system. Next time you play NS go watch a skulk as it walks on a wall, you will notice that he turns often, spin,s and even often points into the map. Now imagine being that skulk with a FOV system...and you can see the problem. It was taken off because A) It does not work well enough...and B) generally it made the beta testers sick lol.

As for the gravity...that could be done pretty easily with tricks to fool the player...and they really would never know. Kind of like how rain is implemented into the maps of De_Aztec in cs...with layered zones to define the gravity region.

Originally posted by Hipshot
What I mean is, that even if you are on another planet, the gravity still would be to the center of the planet, not up agains some wall :) And I think that it would be odd if you in HL2 in City 17 suddleny could walk on the walls, of course, if you were in a room where the gravity would be none, then you would be able to walkt the roofs and walls.
Okay, yah I get it. But... HL2 will be set in many environments. I'm sure not all of tehm will be city-scapes and other everyday places. I'll bet that theres plenty of wierd wacky stuff in HL2.

Besides, just imagine if there were an, um.. super-ultra-wacky-tachy[on]-reactor malfunctioning in City 17. The street you walked down with a lolipop in one hand and a gun in the other only a chapter ago-- could now become a surrealistic challange to simply get from one side of the street to the other (having turned sideways, I mean). I mean, Black Mesa was just a lowly secret military installation, until Resonance Cascade '98...

I'm just saying that the gameplay potential is intriguing. I guess I'm kind of caught up on the idea, but I love cool pseudo-science stuff that makes weird stuff happen. Just fun. :p

-Phision

saw a post in the gabe interview thread about multiple gravity, couldnt wait til interview and emailed gabe.

===

Erik Johnson.

Yes.

-----Original Message-----
mailto:<Private =P>@cox.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 8:56 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: vac

who do i ask to unban my wonid from all secure servers? it was banned until 2008 bcuz of hlamp.
p.s. i have a quick question about hl2.. can u have
multiple gravity settings on a map? like in that illusion where there are
people on all sides of a wall?

Ta da

Info from Valve ONLY, page 19. Do I have to do all the work? :cheese:

Back