Greatest Storytelling in games.

Deus Ex & Thief

Nothing beats Thief's cutscenes

I'm going to be predictable and say Planescape Torment - best dialogue/writing in a video game. I also think Metroid Prime deserves a mention even though you aren't told a story, instead you discover it first hand. MP does this better than any other game i've played.

see silent hill 2 and 4 for brilliant story. 1 and 3 are good but i'm not crazy on cult religion themes compared to the personal ones sh2 and sh4 offer

My favourite moments?

Entirety of Beyond Good & Evil:

[youtube]QCps3S0lat0[/youtube]

Homeworld introduction and Mothership launch. Still sends a pleasurable shiver down my spine.

[youtube]yrW4jkQdmjI[/youtube]

Among other favourite moments were the Necropolis in Fallout (a storytelling device in itself) as well as Arcanum's plot twists.

Yeah, Bioshock and KOTOR's revalations were amazing. Especially KOTOR's, I never wouldve seen that coming.

SS2 looks amazing :O I've never played it but if it came to Steam I'd buy it immediately after watching that :O

Wow, thats a great ending! Very emotional, I was surprised when the gangsters pulled up at his house.

I wasnt suprised, but then again I guess when you're playing the game and watching, you dont have the ability to see that theres still a minute of video left for something to happen when hes finally at peace.

Ultima 6: the false prophet storyline.
Ultima 7: the Guardian and the Fellowship.

Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy 7/8/9
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 1/2
God of War 1/2
Shadow of Destiny (PS2)
Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Knights of the Old Republic I/II
Baldur's Gate 1/2
Icewind Dale
Fable
Syberia
The Longest Journey
Warcraft III
Starcraft
Deus Ex
Half-Life 2
Xenogears
Front Mission III

Portal.

I find it amazing they even put a storyline in there, let alone an awesome...ish... one like Portal's.

all MGS games
and Oblivion, the assassins guild story was really awesome

all MGS games
and Oblivion, the assassins guild story was really awesome

Ohhh yeah.. [obliv. spoilers]
In the mission where you had to kill the karate guy, [one of the Black Hand], I found his black hand robes.. I was like, 'wtf?!.. yay! free robes!' it was crezy.
And the Crazy guy's diary.. oh man.. so creepy

Shadow of the Colossus. Compelling with barely any narrative at all.

Couldn't get the ending, youtube tore down all the cinematic videos minus the intro. So here's the intro.

The characters were textureless retro style polygonal characters, but he voice actors were awesome, the story had the 70s vibe down packed, and in the end you totally gun down the endboss as he's trapped in the burning wreck of his car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVN87KS7LRw

The ending of Half-life 2. I think the story in Half-life 2 is pretty average up until Nova Prospekt when things start getting interesting, and the the climatic scene in Breen's board room is ****ing awesome.

The Longest Journey: It deserves its accolades.

Grim Fandango: As does this.

Couldn't get the ending, youtube tore down all the cinematic videos minus the intro. So here's the intro.
That game was bastard hard. A friend and I couldn't even get past like, the 3rd level.

That game was bastard hard. A friend and I couldn't even get past like, the 3rd level.

well i was like 12 when i played it, and as such my prepubescent mind was able to make short work of that game easily, since little kids are creepily able to figure complex or difficult games out a lot faster than older players. The exception for me being the final battle, which was hard as all hell plus a few other parts.

i still remember my perfect, handle any situation loadout for my pirahna

1 7.62 nato minigun turret
1 clusterbomb launcher
1 rearward facing dr radar missle launcher
1 firedropper

strip crash reinforcement from the sides, strip armor from the rear, beef up front and side armor

biggest baddest engine and car parts

and for specials, nitrous, blower, and heated seats (gave 10% more ammo to all weapons)

can't believe no-one has mentioned max payne - 1 and 2. both amazing games, especially 2 the story was great and really emotional.

Marathon; no question about it. Shame Bungie went downhill since then.

A Mind Forever Voyaging. Interactive fiction at its best.

Uh... there was this old adventure game... City of Shattered Steel? I can't remember what it was called. All I remember was that it was great, and you had a robot companion.

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun: Firestorm. Hands-down my favourite story-telling in a game. Not only have I always loved the first-person FMVs of C&C, but the really great thing about it is that you don't learn the true extent of everything that's going on until you play both campaigns. Unlike other C&Cs, the two campaigns complement, rather than contradict each other, and unlike most other RTSs, they occur simultaniously.
*SPOILERS START HERE*
When you play from the GDI or Nod perspective it just seems like a standard case of CABAL going crazy and killing everyone, but when you start bringing them together you see that CABAL has been manipulating everyone the whole time. He orders the assasination of Tratos, because he and Tratos were the only two who could translate the Tacitus. GDI then 'capture' CABAL's core because they need him to translate the Tacitus. He then uses EVA's database to find the location of the final piece of the Tacitus. Once he has both pieces he double-crosses everyone and sends out the cyborg reapers.
*SPOILERS END HERE*
Plus it has a mission where you're just given a war factory and a shitload of cash, which is bloody awesome.

Max Payne 1 and 2 without a doubt have the best writing and voice-acting of any game yet made; the stories were somewhat weaker, though, especially the first one.

Back