Half Life 2 and the Hype factor (spoiler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait for the expansions big boys youll see

theyll fix ya good

theyll fix ya good

GTA: San Andreas? PUH-Leeez!..

Or any GTA for that matter.. (lemme steal this car and do a drive by.. but too complex a story line, physics engine, and more than decent gameplay, altogether, just doesnt cut it..)

You may have been playing PC games since their prime, but I think I, among others around here, know a good game when we play it.. and GTA is most certainly not one.. Halo 2 tops GTA and yet still doesnt make the mark against HL2.. sorry.

C-O-N-Spiracy said:
GTA: San Andreas? PUH-Leeez!..

Or any GTA for that matter.. (lemme steal this car and do a drive by.. but too complex a story line, physics engine, and more than decent gameplay, altogether, just doesnt cut it..)

You may have been playing PC games since their prime, but I think I, among others around here, know a good game when we play it.. and GTA is most certainly not one.. Halo 2 tops GTA and yet still doesnt make the mark against HL2.. sorry.

I said this is a good game, but there are better out there.. Sorry dude. When your all growed up, and experienced, gimme a holla! OWNED! :LOL:

Good points. Text games rock, by the way. :E

edit: Halo 2's story seems to be abit rushed aswell but I like it alot since it feels very fresh, the whole way the storytelling is made is magnificent, I haven't seen anything like that before. I won't spoil it since there are probably people here who haven't got the game yet, but it certainly twists the game alot in a delightfully way.

Thimbob32 said:
I said this is a good game, but there are better out there.. Sorry dude. When your all growed up, and experienced, gimme a holla! OWNED! :LOL:

"Gimme a holla"

??

And you want WHO to grow up?

Yes, an open-ended third-person driving sim and an expertly scripted first-person shooter do have nothing in common. Thanks for pointing that out.

But really, you're saying that Half-life would be better if it had absolutely nothing to do with Half-life.

GTA is actually a hell of a lot more scripted than Half-life was. It just had a crapload of mini-games and a complex city-as-interface system that let you choose which script you do next.

There's a reason why GTA, and any MMORPG you can name, have inferior graphics to Half-life 2. They have no real choice, given the graphical constraints of their giant worlds.

Would HL2's story be told as effectively if you could just bypass huge sections of the game at will, or spend a few hours pretending to be a taxi driver so that you can make 150$? You're comparing completely dissimilar things.

Man o' man.... You guys will just keep on harpin! I'm not a fan of Sony, I'm a fan of great gameplay be it PC, XBOX, PS2. I HATE CONSOLES. but great games are great games. Rome:Total War is a better game than HL2... Far Cry is a better game than HL2. HL2 is still a good game, but not the "Greatest of all time". :rolleyes:

People keep forgetting that hl2 is a FPS not an RPg or Text based game, plus hl2 is the "frickin MIDDLE CHAPTER IN THE STORY". Valve have given all they need to give in the sense of story elements. I hate it when people dont like the game because they say the ending had no resolution-------Isnt that the point of the midle chapter? u cant reveal everything in the niddle chapter, its just setting it up for the final act, which will explain everything to us.

Thimbob32 said:
Man o' man.... You guys will just keep on harpin! I'm not a fan of Sony, I'm a fan of great gameplay be it PC, XBOX, PS2. I HATE CONSOLES. but great games are great games. Rome:Total War is a better game than HL2... Far Cry is a better game than HL2. HL2 is still a good game, but not the "Greatest of all time". :rolleyes:

Alright, good for you. You've successfully proven that you have an opinion that very few people here agree with.

What's your point? That are the only one who can understand that Half-life isn't as fun as we think it is?

You said that Half-Life would better if it were a GTA game with aliens. When I said that that would fundamentally change nearly every aspect of the game, you give me a :rolleyes: and claim that you hate consoles, as though I should care?

Basically, your only argument is that you play lots of games, so you are better at understanding what is fun. Whee.

You forgot that fun is relative. Your opinion in this matter is just as useless as mine. The only hard facts are that Half-life 2 has generally scored equal or better than pretty much every game you've mentioned. You might prefer Farcry, but you are also clearly the minority in that case.
So your great game is only great to you. Get used to it.

Mechagodzilla said:
Alright, good for you. You've successfully proven that you have an opinion that very few people here agree with.

What's your point? That are the only one who can understand that Half-life isn't as fun as we think it is?

You said that Half-Life would better if it were a GTA game with aliens. When I said that that would fundamentally change nearly every aspect of the game, you give me a :rolleyes: and claim that you hate consoles, as though I should care?

Basically, your only argument is that you play lots of games, so you are better at understanding what is fun. Whee.

You forgot that fun is relative. Your opinion in this matter is just as useless as mine. The only hard facts are that Half-life 2 has generally scored equal or better than pretty much every game you've mentioned. You might prefer Farcry, but you are also clearly the minority in that case.
So your great game is only great to you. Get used to it.

No kidding, it is my opinion! However, if people are going to pine me for it, instead of saying, "That's your opinion." Then I have to defend it.
I didn't say HL2 needs to be GTA with aliens! I said, it needed more work! If I am the minority in my like of certain games, that's fine with me! No one buys the games I play but me, and I don't buy games for others. I stated my opinion. My great game is great to me, I am used to it. And yes, your opinion is "useless" to me. Why did you even reply, nimrod? :This coming from someone upset with the defense of marriages acts....sheesh! :imu: Would you like a secular reason?

Well, I love it! I had 55 responses to this thread... Unbelievable! To those that agreed with me..Great... To those that disagreed with me, yet didn't make it a flame.... Great!
To those who are such childish, inane, niffnorfs.... Well. you have a pretty good idea what I would say to you!

Thank you all!

You can't reasonably compare GTA to half-life. It would be like putting a good horror movie next to a good romantic comedy and asking which is better. Both were designed with completely different goals and philosphies of game design. If you prefer the GTA style of games, then that's all there is to it... I can understand why you do even though I don't share the same opinion.

As to the other points.

I greatly enjoyed hl2's story. If you keep in mind that hl2 is a first-person shooter, then I don't see how you can't be impressed by it on at least some level.

I agree that the collector's edition that VU put out is pretty crappy as far as extras. There's just not much there to go "oh cool!" to.

Comparing things that are completley unrelated is just displaying your undescribable lack of intelligence.

Thimbob32:

"Bump" this thread again, and it'll get closed.

Regarding the topic - these apples are better than these oranges!
This giraffe is better than that wheelbarrrow!

If you're going to say "X is better than Y", then at least make them comparable. GTA, HL2 and R:TW are all completely different genres, occupying different sectors of the market.

Thimbob32 said:
"[Half-Life 2] raises the bar for interactive entertainment, and then uses that bar to club all other games into submission."
PC Gamer, 98%
Would you say this is a slightly slanted opinion? Hmmm?
It's about as slanted as IGN giving 9.9 to GTA:SA. Its just another opinion.

Thimbob32 said:
Man o' man.... You guys will just keep on harpin! I'm not a fan of Sony, I'm a fan of great gameplay be it PC, XBOX, PS2. I HATE CONSOLES. but great games are great games. Rome:Total War is a better game than HL2... Far Cry is a better game than HL2. HL2 is still a good game, but not the "Greatest of all time".
To you maybe (i thought the game was better then both Far Cry and R:TW but its not the best game ever). Others on the board think otherwise, just like you think GTA:SA is better, they think HL2 is.

Thimbob32 said:
Well, I love it! I had 55 responses to this thread... Unbelievable! To those that agreed with me..Great... To those that disagreed with me, yet didn't make it a flame.... Great!
To those who are such childish, inane, niffnorfs.... Well. you have a pretty good idea what I would say to you!

Thank you all!
Lost all respect for you after this comment. I know I know, you could care less, and hey, thats swell! The irony in this post is hilarious to me. I hope you don't go around in real life acting like this. And yes, you need to stop comparing apples and bananas.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Thimbob32:

"Bump" this thread again, and it'll get closed.

Regarding the topic - these apples are better than these oranges!
This giraffe is better than that wheelbarrrow!

If you're going to say "X is better than Y", then at least make them comparable. GTA, HL2 and R:TW are all completely different genres, occupying different sectors of the market.

You guys keep saying I like the GTA style better than FPS style. absolutely not true. I thought HL was a great game when it was released! I'm just saying for the money spent and the hype, HL2 didn't live up to it's name! I like good games! HL2 is good, but not great! I'll take a good game with so-so graphics over great graphics, and sub-par story. Maybe I expected HL2 to be more than it was, but alas, even the moderators are not allowing differing opinions to be heard. My comments were meant for discussion, and not flames. I agree some people will love this game, and others hate it. People are entitled to their own opinions, and as I stated, those who disagreed with me, that's okay, those who flamed me for my opinion, come on, is it necessary?

Well, having just read your first post, let me say upfront that after about a week of being lyrical of the game, I have lowered my 100% fanboyism and praying to the divine powers of VALVe, down to a mere, this game really rocks like hell and kicks boy-bottom!

To me, it is a great game, probably the best one I've ever ever played but it does have flaws. Sadly, the one flaw which I really care about is story. I don't like being spoonfed story, and although the newspaper clips were a real nice touch, they should have thrown you something else, a little extra tidbit about BMRF or how Eli and Kleiner got there I dunno, something.

But, the game is still far better than the stuff you mentioned (in my own opinion of course) and that's including some really good games like R:TW or San Andreas, which is number on my "I want-list" now that half-life 2 is out.

Thimbob32 said:
You guys keep saying I like the GTA style better than FPS style. absolutely not true. I thought HL was a great game when it was released! I'm just saying for the money spent and the hype, HL2 didn't live up to it's name! I like good games! HL2 is good, but not great! I'll take a good game with so-so graphics over great graphics, and sub-par story. Maybe I expected HL2 to be more than it was, but alas, even the moderators are not allowing differing opinions to be heard.
Wow, actually. If you took some time to read the intelligent coherent posts, you would notice that no, we are not saying you like GTA style better then FPS style. We're saying you need to stop comparing things that can't be compared. Its quite a simple concept.

You seem just as inept at dealing with others opinions as the people you claim have problems with yours. Putting up a defensive is an excuse, nobody forces your fingers into a reply.

Also, after reading all of your posts, and the the words you choose to reply with, I've come to the conclusion that you appear to be nothing more than a troll. Granted, an intelligent troll. They come in all forms.

[reads the first post] I agree entirely and completely.

A really fun gun, but quite flawed in areas not directly related to gameplay.

Amorphous said:
Wow, actually. If you took some time to read the intelligent coherent posts, you would notice that no, we are not saying you like GTA style better then FPS style. We're saying you need to stop comparing things that can't be compared. Its quite a simple concept.

You seem just as inept at dealing with others opinions as the people you claim have problems with yours. Putting up a defensive is an excuse, nobody forces your fingers into a reply.

Also, after reading all of your posts, and the the words you choose to reply with, I've come to the conclusion that you appear to be nothing more than a troll. Granted, an intelligent troll. They come in all forms.

I don't think you took the time to read some of the incoherent posts, or you would have seen what some of the folks wrote. Please read them all, and get back to me. I like HL2, I just think it was rushed somewhat.

Thimbob32 said:
I don't think you took the time to read some of the incoherent posts, or you would have seen what some of the folks wrote. Please read them all, and get back to me. I like HL2, I just think it was rushed somewhat.
LOL. Oh god the IRONY. Seriously read my post. Please.

Originally Posted by Thimbob32
You guys keep saying I like the GTA style better than FPS style. absolutely not true.

Then I posted.

Also, I read every single post, (including the incoherent ones).

I agree that HL2 is a little too linear and I wish that there was some more space to freely move around in, but I still like it better than GTA:SA. The physics engine makes killing enemies fun every time, even in the same places I have been before as I go through the game again. The battle scenes between you, your allies and the enemy are by far the best I have seen in any FPS game, including Doom3 and FarCry. I would much rather have my system resources spent on physics and action than more expensive lighting solutions.

GTA:SA is an awsome game too, but the main reason it doesn't keep me hooked is that once you do everything in the game once (there are, however, a lot of things to do in the game), it's the same the second time. Everyone dies the same way, cars blow up the same way, minigames loose the fun factor after you get the gold medal or whatever the reward is. Additionally, I get no sense of accomplishment when I kill the cops coming after me or run them off a cliff because another one will spawn almost instantly. I also want to be able to catch someone running away from me without them disappearing as soon as they are out of sight. Some of these issues i'm sure have to do with the PS2's limited memory and will be fixed either in a port to the PC or in the next GTA game which will be on a new system.

As for now, my favorite games are HL2 and Rome:Total War.

Amorphous said:
LOL. Oh god the IRONY. Seriously read my post. Please.

Originally Posted by Thimbob32
You guys keep saying I like the GTA style better than FPS style. absolutely not true.

Then I posted.

Also, I read every single post, (including the incoherent ones).

Read them again, and I read your post. Please when you've TRULY read them all speak to me. I'm comparing games to games!
If you don't like what I posted don't read it! The irony is you! You are exactly what I complained about! Argue it's good points with me, not my postings! Get over yourself, and deal with my opinion!

Thimbob32 said:
Read them again, and I read your post. Please when you've TRULY read them all speak to me. I'm comparing games to games!
If you don't like what I posted don't read it! The irony is you! You are exactly what I complained about! Argue it's good points with me, not my postings! Get over yourself, and deal with my opinion!

My points have been proven. Stupid troll. Still comparing apples and bananas.

And also, opinions mean squat to me, I only replied to this thread so I could point out how much of a troll you are. Honestly dude, I don't care what you think is better then HL2, thats not my point.

I like what you post because its funny.

Thimbob32 said:
If you don't like what I posted don't read it! The irony is you!

Thimbob32 said:

Just kinda makes me chuckle as I watch you attempt to get a rise out of people.

Look guys, I don't want to get into a flame war with anyone. I stated my opinion, and it's exactly what I get! I thought forums were for just that, opinions! If your not in agreement with mine fine. Some people liked Bush, and some like Kerry, are both types of people wrong? If your completely happy with HL2, great, and if your not, that;s great too! If I've offended anyone with my opinion, I'm not sorry, as you wouldn't be if your opinion offended me. This has turned into a assault on people's intellingence, which is wrong. I'm sure most of the folks on here on intellegent, albeit passionate, gamers.

Thimbob32 said:
You guys keep saying I like the GTA style better than FPS style. absolutely not true. I thought HL was a great game when it was released! I'm just saying for the money spent and the hype, HL2 didn't live up to it's name! I like good games! HL2 is good, but not great! I'll take a good game with so-so graphics over great graphics, and sub-par story. Maybe I expected HL2 to be more than it was, but alas, even the moderators are not allowing differing opinions to be heard. My comments were meant for discussion, and not flames. I agree some people will love this game, and others hate it. People are entitled to their own opinions, and as I stated, those who disagreed with me, that's okay, those who flamed me for my opinion, come on, is it necessary?

No-one said you prefer GTA style to FPS style - try reading people's posts. You stated that GTA was better than HL2. Several people have pointed out that there's no comparison due to the completely different genres. Well done for completely ignoring that.

The moderators aren't allowing different opinions to be heard? Funny, I don't recall deleting any posts, and the thread is still open. Maybe you ought to back off from the automatic anti-authority stance.

Thimbob32 said:
I like HL2, but I could do without CS, I mean nothing is more fun than waiting 10 minutes to play, then playing for 50 seconds, getting killed by a 15 year-old with a chip on his shoulder, and no girlfriend, then waiting another 10 minutes to do it again! I want my single player, and I want it to last!

So you don't have any skill and you hate people who don't have girlfriends. Okay. But what does that have to do with CS?

Thimbob32 said:
Look guys, I don't want to get into a flame war with anyone. I stated my opinion, and it's exactly what I get! I thought forums were for just that, opinions! If your not in agreement with mine fine. Some people liked Bush, and some like Kerry, are both types of people wrong? If your completely happy with HL2, great, and if your not, that;s great too! If I've offended anyone with my opinion, I'm not sorry, as you wouldn't be if your opinion offended me. This has turned into a assault on people's intellingence, which is wrong. I'm sure most of the folks on here on intellegent, albeit passionate, gamers.

I'm not interested in a flame war either. But what I am interested is in how you contradict yourself constantly, and how you act and reply like a troll.

Thimbob32 said:
Look guys, I don't want to get into a flame war with anyone. I stated my opinion, and it's exactly what I get! I thought forums were for just that, opinions! If your not in agreement with mine fine.

Thimbob32 said:

Looks like you don't like my opinion.

Lets recap:
My opinion -
I can't respect people who act really condescending towards others, and who are inept at dealing with others opinions, which you hate so much, yet do it yourself over and over. As I stated before, I don't care what games you like better then Hl2, I don't care what you think about it. Thats not my point, AT ALL. My opinion has nothing to do with opposing your opinion about the game, do you not understand this?!?

THAT, is my opinion.

If you read the post, I was flamed from the get-go, and the only people I had problems with were the flamers. Flamers were condescending towards me, and got it back in return. I'm not trolling at all, but that's your opinion. My CS opinion is based on actual gameplay issues I've had with folks. Please read the post where I was cool with opinions that differed from mine!

Uhmm..

QUOTE: Please read the post where I was cool with opinions that differed from mine!

Sure doesn't seem like it.

But I'm glad you finally understood what I was getting at. Honestly man, I'm not trying to offend you, and I'll feel bad if things go bad. I'm not trying to sound mean, or make enemies, or anything like that for that matter.

I guess maybe I'm just saying you should watch the way you reply to people a little more. Maybe I'm wrong. Thats why at times you seem troll-like, I believe you when you say you aren't. But there are replies in here that lead me to believe at times you turn into one.

Just.. be careful.

At any rate, I'm done. Ciao!

HL2 and GTA:SA are very different games so you can't really compare them. Which you like more depends on what gameplay style you like. HL2's singleplayer is almost perfect. I wished I had a little bit more freedom like in Far Cry but then it's very difficult too make the AI handle everything well. That's why the AI in Far Cry isn't as good as in HL2. If you look for perfection HL2 is your favorite game.

But if you look at GTA:SA, the possibilities in that game are even bigger than in Far Cry. That world is enormous and you can do almost everything, when you start playing that game it's like going on vacation. But of course the open gameplay limits the level of finetuning that the developers can do, so it's not as immersive as HL2. And I don't think PC's are powerfull enoug to handle GTA:SA on the Source engine. But they could at least make the random car and people spawning less obvious. But if bad graphics don't bother you and you want freedom GTA:SA will satisfy your demands.

I like both types of games (but I already have HL2 of course ;) ) so I'm getting GTA:SA next summer when it's on PC.

Amorphous said:
Uhmm..

QUOTE: Please read the post where I was cool with opinions that differed from mine!

Sure doesn't seem like it.

But I'm glad you finally understood what I was getting at.

At any rate, I'm done. Ciao!

I didn't understand what you were getting at because if you had read posts 14, 25, 63, 67, and 72, you would have seen me "being cool" with others opinions. The truth is this your upset, cause you don't have a girlfriend, and HL2 is your life. I understand you and MR. Hand are probably alot closer that you should be!!! Troll this!!!!!! Amorodorous! :bounce:

Moderators, please close this thread!

Thimbob32 said:
The truth is this your upset, cause you don't have a girlfriend, and HL2 is your life.

I mean nothing is more fun than waiting 10 minutes to play, then playing for 50 seconds, getting killed by a 15 year-old with a chip on his shoulder, and no girlfriend, then waiting another 10 minutes to do it again!

I'm beginning to see a trollish pattern, here.

Thimbob32 said:
Moderators, please close this thread!

I'm going to close this thread, and ban you for a week for being an abusive little troll. Good Pie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back