Half-Life 2 Exclusive Strategy Guide released 9/23?

spicoli420

Reaction score
I was just on babbages.com site and saw that HL2 has a 2/04 release date which of course is crap. But I scrolled down and saw the Half-Life 2 Exclusive Strategy Guide for a release date of 9/23. Check it out http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=871704

what does this mean, probably nothing just thought I would let ya'll know.

if it dont come out till 2/04 why the hell they got the strat guild for 9/23, thats just funny

Originally posted by Fjolle
it will come out at the same time as the game

I sure hope so. The last thing we need is spoilers everywhere. You know people won't mark their threads or posts as spoilers, and the great flame war will start.

I can see it now, noobs posting actual spoilers in thread titles!

If Valve lets the guide ship then it will be positive sign a 9/30 release but it might stop alot of us from coming to HL2 forums til after its in our hands.

Those valve guys aint stupid, They wont release before the game ;)
Comeone its valve ..... :p

I wonder how they can make these guides before/right after the game is out..
Does this mean valve made it or sent lots of info to the maker of the guide?
I thought they were mostly made afterwards by 3rd party people.

Anyway, I didn't think about the spoiler thing.. I doubt people will just post spoilers just for the fun of it.

Originally posted by coax
I wonder how they can make these guides before/right after the game is out..
Does this mean valve made it or sent lots of info to the maker of the guide?
I thought they were mostly made afterwards by 3rd party people.

Anyway, I didn't think about the spoiler thing.. I doubt people will just post spoilers just for the fun of it.

Yeah usually the guide company gets info during development and especially during playtesting. They must be sworn to secrecy I assume.

BTW I hope your right about people behaving.

I thought I read in one of these threads here that it got pushed back. I guess i would have to do a search and find out. Also doesn't Prima ect base their guides off beta versions of the games so that they are able to finish the guides on time? I will probably find my answers if I search for the guide thread from a couple days ago.

http://www.primagames.com/forums/read/47631/
Not sure how "official" but it talks about the guides release date.

Edit don't type while sleepy. I need to fix this.
Edited again and hopes this helps make it easier to read.
Edited again to add the link.

Originally posted by coax

Wishful thinking.

Seriously the day the game is released they'll be threads saying "OMG The G-Man is Gordon's Brother" in the title".

And Gabe says that the player will be surprised straight away so even stuff from the first 10 minutes of the game will be spoilers.

I agree with Feath. It is probably wishfull thinking that people will post spoiler warnings. The majority of the people didn't add spoiler warnings in simular past situations that I was involved in. :flame:

Hopefully I am proved wrong on this forum. :cheese:

well, if it does happen and the strategy guide does get released before the game, all the secrecy valve has been doing concerning HL2 story/weapons and multiplayer will be in vain. All the noobs and flamers will be posting spoilers without the word "SPOILER" in the title.

If, that happens, I for one will not visit any HL2 forum until the game is out and I've been playing it as I dont want to experience all the cool stuff myself and not off some noob who thinks its funny to post spoilers before the game is out.

just my two cents...

Originally posted by Feath
Seriously the day the game is released they'll be threads saying "OMG The G-Man is Gordon's Brother" in the title".
Mod and napalm on over-time.
In some ways I'm glad I'm getting out of here before then...

Maybe mods should make this rule , "post spoiler, banned, good day" :D

i don't buy stratergy guides for no games. i think they normally spoil the game and give you too many hints. but i am going to buy one for hl2. cause i want all of it for hl2 because i been waiting for the game for so long.
so i am going to get the collectors, guides, game (in store not dl it online.)

it is so stoooopid for a guide to come out like a week before. i so know some ppl will buy it cause they can't wait any longer.

Originally posted by jhero
Maybe mods should make this rule , "post spoiler, banned, good day" :D
By then, it's too late...

Originally posted by Feath
"OMG The G-Man is Gordon's Brother".

OMG!!! :rolling: OMG!!!! NOOO :rolling: WTF!>>!>"!!!! OMGGG!!!

:thumbs:

tbh.. that image of the book is a very good sign to me... it basically means the game is finished.

hehe

tee hee...

Missread that as "Alyx is your brother"

Now that would be interesting!

But...but EB says 9/24 for the strategy guide. I am leaving these forums on Thursday and I will immigrate to my homeland.

g-man is not gordons bro. i so dout that. but hay never know really. but i so dout it.

G-man: "Gordon....I am your father..."

Gordon: "nooooooooo!"

Actually, everywhere you go as far as books are concerned, October 7th is the due-date for HL2 Prima Strategy guide.

B&N, Borders, Amazon....

Usually books aren't 'delayed' like games are. I've never known Amazon to miss a ship-date on a new book that I've ordered.

Maybe HL2 will just be 1 week late...for Oct 7th. Thats what I'm betting on, at least.

Its a good sign that the strategy guide, behind the scenes book, and Mod guide, are all done and ready to ship.

Quoted from the Primagames.com message boards

dannil
09-15-2003, 04:01:14 PM

Sometimes it takes a while before the stores can update the publishing date for our strategy guides. Prima's Official Strategy Guide for Half Life 2 will come out at the same time the game is released.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original message by vini33088:
HOW can a strategy guide come out before a game, when even the games release date isnt confirmed yet? Can anyone explain this?

yea but they do look alike in a lil way. so....naaa they aint related naaaaaaaaa

i agree wit nippy
as soon as that guide comes out im staying away from all hl2 forums till i finish the game. i dont see why anyone would want spoilers for hl2, this is something that doesnt happen often, next time mite be 5+years in hl3, so isnt it better to suprise urself for once

Originally posted by Tyrant
i agree wit nippy
as soon as that guide comes out im staying away from all hl2 forums till i finish the game. i dont see why anyone would want spoilers for hl2, this is something that doesnt happen often, next time mite be 5+years in hl3, so isnt it better to suprise urself for once

I second that.

Just a few points...

1)The game isn't released yet, so no-one has played it.
2)You can't write a strategey book if you havn't played the game.
3)Strategy guides arn't written in house, they are liscensed.
4)THE GAME DOSN'T EXIST YET HENCE A STRATEGY GUIDE CAN'T BE BLOODY WRITTEN YET.
5)Calm down.
6)It would take time to write and edit a stratedgy guide.
7)The game isn't out yet.
8)The stratedgy guide will come out a few days after the game, or on the same day.
9)You can't write a book without any information on what you are writting about
10)Am i repeating myself?

edit: 11) Havn't you all learnt yet that the dates any company gives is pure BS?

Re: spoilers

Once the game is released, I'll probably try to avoid these forums until I've actually completed the single player game. The possibility of being spoiled is just too great to risk.

@ Mountain Man: Great words. I'll desert all HL2 forums for a while when getting my hands on the game.

Originally posted by pHATE1982
Just a few points...

1)The game isn't released yet, so no-one has played it.
2)You can't write a strategey book if you havn't played the game.
3)Strategy guides arn't written in house, they are liscensed.
4)THE GAME DOSN'T EXIST YET HENCE A STRATEGY GUIDE CAN'T BE BLOODY WRITTEN YET.
5)Calm down.
6)It would take time to write and edit a stratedgy guide.
7)The game isn't out yet.
8)The stratedgy guide will come out a few days after the game, or on the same day.
9)You can't write a book without any information on what you are writting about
10)Am i repeating myself?

edit: 11) Havn't you all learnt yet that the dates any company gives is pure BS?

That's all very interesting, but most strategy guides come out 2 days to a week before the game ships.

Originally posted by commando
g-man is not gordons bro. i so dout that. but hay never know really. but i so dout it.

I'm selling bottled air... want some?

Back