Half-Life 2 goes gold. [GAMESPOT RUMOR CONTROL]

If everyone would recall, the first half-life gold was announced on a saturday. Now although HL1 & 2 are obviously different games, the way valve has gone making them hasn't changed. They still have the pinata after all :)

Anyways, I say it went gold yesterday and they will announce it today around 4pm PST.

Kiva128 said:
If everyone would recall, the first half-life gold was announced on a saturday. Now although HL1 & 2 are obviously different games, the way valve has gone making them hasn't changed. They still have the pinata after all :)

Anyways, I say it went gold yesterday and they will announce it today around 4pm PST.

that would be grand

I believe it hasn't happened, you guys are getting excited to early, you're setting yourselves up for a huge dissapointment.

Kiva128 said:

yeah i agree that would be possible to happen

Kiva128 said:

I thought it went gold on a Saturday and wasn't announced until Monday :rolling:

Well, even if it has already gone gold but they won't announce it for a couple of days, at least it's in the countdown to release. These days aren't being wasted - they're checking days off the calendar until we get it.

AgentXen said:
I dont understand the logical sence in that.

They want to sell the game, so they will wait untill X-mas to sell it?
Why dont they just release it in October?
Is there some law that states if the game is out before December, they cant sell it on december?
wtf?
Regradless of when they sell it, wheather it be in October, the game will still be sold during December.

Whatever i dont understand. Please explain.

Someone Care to explain???

**** yeah!

a Pinata rumor is a little obscure to be made up methinks.

I'll believe that the game is ready now : ]

Adrien C said:
Update me please guys.

The scanner pinata fell off the ceiling in valves lobby because of a poor taping job on the line. Later one of the cleaning crew of their building came in to replace the receptionists garbage can, seen the broken pinata, cleaned it up, and told some friends of his what he seen. The info got passed all the way and changed little by little, until it reached people with connections to news posters of websites, who took it in as 'insider info' and posted rumors that the game went gold. Now your reading a thread that is the after effect of that case. Turns out, today valve fixed the pinata, and went back to fixing yet even more bugs with HL2.

Just kidding!

Adam said:
The scanner pinata fell off the ceiling in valves lobby because of a poor taping job on the line. Later one of the cleaning crew of their building came in to replace the receptionists garbage can, seen the broken pinata, cleaned it up, and told some friends of his what he seen. The info got passed all the way and changed little by little, until it reached people with connections to news posters of websites, who took it in as 'insider info' and posted rumors that the game went gold. Now your reading a thread that is the after effect of that case. Turns out, today valve fixed the pinata, and went back to fixing yet even more bugs with HL2.

Just kidding!

Dude, that really scared me, nice one

Yeah. That was mean!

But an accurate description of how rumours form.

AgentXen said:
Someone Care to explain???

I think it all has to do with marketing. Posters on the windows of game stores, ads/reviews in magazines, cardboard cut-outs, tv/radio ads, etc. all cost money, and are only "up" for a limited period of time. If valve/VU does all of their marketing now, its only going to reach the normal gaming population that buys games year-round. If they wait until "christmas season" to do their marketing, they will reach both the normal gaming population AND the christmas buyers, maximizing their profit.

I've found something on slashdot, which might be a real leaked VUG press release or a fake, anyway it looked too informative for a fake so I thought I'd re-post it here... If it's REAL, then we'll have to wait for a lot much longer :(

HALF-LIFE 2™ HAS GONE GOLD

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (October 16, 2004) - Vivendi Universal Games announced today that Half-Life 2, the highly anticipated next installment in the best-selling and beloved franchise, has gone gold and will be released December 6th in North America, and December 20th in Europe.

“Half-Life 2 offers an unprecedented gameplay experience,” said Michael Rouling, EVP, Vivendi Universal Games. “It features the most advanced AI ever seen in a game, combined with state of the art graphics and sound.”.

Developed by Valve, Half-Life 2 is the highly anticipated sequel to the best selling Half-Life title, named “Best PC Game Ever” by PC Gamer. By taking the suspense, challenge and visceral charge of the original, and adding startling new realism and responsiveness, Half-Life 2 opens the door to a world where the player's presence affects everything around him, from the physical environment to the behaviors even the emotions of both friends and enemies.

The player again picks up the crowbar of research scientist Gordon Freeman, who finds himself on an alien-infested Earth being picked to the bone, its resources depleted, its populace dwindling. Freeman is thrust into the unenviable role of rescuing the world from the wrong he unleashed back at Black Mesa. And a lot of people he cares about are counting on him.

Half-Life 2 carries a suggested retail prices of $54.95 and has been rated “M” for Mature by the ESRB with descriptors for blood and intense violence. For additional information please go to www.half-life2.com.

About Valve
Founded in 1996, Valve creates entertainment software titles, including Half-Life®, Counter-StrikeTM, and Team Fortress®. Valve's portfolio accounts for over 12 million retail units sold worldwide, and over 88% of the online action market. More information about Valve is available through the company's Web site at www.valvesoftware.com.

About Vivendi Universal Games
Headquartered in Los Angeles, VU Games is a leading global developer, publisher and distributor of multi-platform interactive entertainment. Its development studios and publishing labels include Blizzard Entertainment, Sierra Entertainment, Fox Interactive and Massive Entertainment. VU Games’ library of over 700 titles features multi-million unit selling properties such as Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo from Blizzard Entertainment; Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon, Empire Earth, Ground Control, Tribes and Leisure Suit Larry.

paradidle said:
I've found something on slashdot, which might be a real leaked VUG press release or a fake, anyway it looked too informative for a fake so I thought I'd re-post it here... If it's REAL, then we'll have to wait for a lot much longer :(
already confirmed as a fake

b3ll4L! said:
already confirmed as a fake

Thank god, you saved someones live there, cause I would've mugged someone's creditcard to order through Steam if there really was a 14 day delay between EU en US.

My guess... GameSpot is right and they may announce it later (leaving us to sweat).

Else it isnt true and GameSpot looses some respect for posting an official article about a rumor without confirmation.

paradidle said:

I dont know where you read that, but the link provided goes back to 2 different game sites and the only info is that it 'MAY' be released in November. S-P-E-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N

Back