Half life 2 is overrated

The elites from Halo, or the marines and controllers from HL, are amazing enemies, and HL2 still doesn’t have enemies that are as good yet, and I hope the synth enemies that will appear in Ep3 will be great to fight against.

A rather bad statement to say imo. Those enemies simply have a greater amount of health and it seems like you are fighting more powerful enemies. HL2 soldiers just need more health and need to move faster and you would see that they beat those grunts in all ways, from knowing when to throw grenades, to taking cover, to good voice-overs depending on a soldier's or units situation.

Woah 11 pages and this got by under my radar? Damn!

Well, didn't read through all of it, but I lend my support to "HL2 was good".

When I played it, its graphics and interactivity far out did anything I was doing at the time, and it was awesome.

Like many older games I like, they come attached to a fond memory or something like that.

In retrospect, the only thing I fault HL2 on is that it seems they had a story, but twiddled with it so that it become all about their new physics engine, as opposed to twiddling the physics engine to tell the story.

Other than that, I loved it.

The only really bad thing about HL2 is the look of the pulse rife. It just sucks. The rest is over the top quality stuff...
Best game ever in my mind.

Narvi, I woulda posted, but I had to go... you know... *wiggles eyebrows*

The only really bad thing about HL2 is the look of the pulse rife. It just sucks. The rest is over the top quality stuff...
Best game ever in my mind.

Heh, it was better than the MP7.

I thought the pulse Rifle looked kickass. I really liked it.
Also, why is this thread still going? XD

Honestly, would it be that horrible if they improved enemy AI and variety?

Thats all this guy is arguing about for the most part.

As for my definition of shooting gallery I consider a game where I mindlessly blow down target after target with little to no challenge a shooting gallery.

It be nice if combine troops ran away from grenades and given the option flank me instead of run right at me, or in sum cases take cover instead of mindlessly running into a MG. -_-
Hunters are a step in the right direction but they messed up and made it em kinda easy (Weak vs Gravgun almost immune to bullets), over all I found those bastard acid antlions a more interesting fight. ^-^

Over all I like the story and atmosphere but its combat seems a tad lacking.
And if you play a game purely for the story may I suggest you save sum cash and buy a good book instead. =)

PS The puzzles could a tad harder also.

Well, HL2's story was curtailed to fit into their new physics engine, vs the other way around, so there are bound to be issues there.

Eh fair enuff, its just I come across a giant seesaw or one of the battery things and my one and only thought is *Well thats kinda obvious*, rather then *How the hell dose this work?*.

Honestly, would it be that horrible if they improved enemy AI and variety?

No. No-one denied it would be.

Would it be horrible if they enabled DX10 support, had 50 extra levels and 10 new weapons?

No, course not.

Would it be horrible if the bosses adapted to your moves, learned from what you did, and considered the tactical advantages behind doing things?

No, course not.

So why don't you go do it, eh?

This thread is older, surely you should be linking to this one..?

Hmm... I'm not sure. Half-Life 2 was indeed amazing. But it'd be hard to really say it was better than the original. Half-Life had something extra. Like... a tang. Just waz.

Half-life kind of pales in comparison to Half-life 2. I recently played both, and HL was a pretty big chore.

I have something to tell all of you. Something that has been hidden for years and years. I shall reveal my secret now...

I like Residue Processing and On a Rail. And I don't understand why everybody hates both. YES THEY ROCK BABY.

Half-life kind of pales in comparison to Half-life 2. I recently played both, and HL was a pretty big chore.

You can't compare the two, they're from different time periods entirely.

I enjoyed the "chore" nature behind it. I think I prefer it more, simply because it's what I'm used to.

No. No-one denied it would be.

Would it be horrible if they enabled DX10 support, had 50 extra levels and 10 new weapons?

No, course not.

Would it be horrible if the bosses adapted to your moves, learned from what you did, and considered the tactical advantages behind doing things?

No, course not.

So why don't you go do it, eh?

Get me a job as head of the development team and ill look into it, just don't expect it to be out in the next 10 years. ^-^

Anyways we already know valve is capable of making good AI, they did it for Hl-1. We have seen sum improvements such as Alyx, so I don't see why the good ol combine soldier is still dumb as a rock.

While 50 levels and new weapons be nice I much rather have 1/5th of that if it just had a good and challenging AI, quality over quantity.

One moment you are in a ant-lion spawning desert, the next a trainyard, zombie-infested town, alien citadel etc.
How long would you, if it were to actually occur, stay in an antlion spawning pit, or a zombie infested town?
I've read up to page three of this thread and I'm not really sure I care to continue reading your recycled nit-picking.
Both HLs are great :D
Woot =D, I completely agree.

Anyways we already know valve is capable of making good AI, they did it for Hl-1. We have seen sum improvements such as Alyx, so I don't see why the good ol combine soldier is still dumb as a rock.

Um... yeah, they had good AI for HL1... for then.

They had amazing AI for HL2... for then.

Unfortunately it's not that easy advancing AI. I doubt you'd actually be able to do any better.

Actually the AI was "better" in HL2.

We just killed them faster.

Which made it worse, because game AI is supposed to be fun to fight.

This was why FEAR had better AI than HL2, even though it was technically worse.

FEAR AI sucked, I had no fun fighting them, and everybody says its scary, wrong-o
some of the best AI I have seen is in CoD3, they were pretty fun to fight, and CoD4 wasn't bad, but it felt different, which is partially because I usually play CoD's on PS2, but CoD4 I got on 360 (PS3 is nothing but an media center, and the 360 kicks PS3 ass there too.

(sorry to ramble on about how 360 owns PS3)

actually, thinking about it, the Akrids of Lost Planet were fun to fight too, the soldiers weren't, but some creatures (Undeep-giant worm, and bosses) were generally fun

Um... yeah, they had good AI for HL1... for then.

They had amazing AI for HL2... for then.

Unfortunately it's not that easy advancing AI. I doubt you'd actually be able to do any better.

Actually the AI for Hl2 was not that great for its time, I started the series with Hl2 so I have no nostalgic feelings over Hl1. After playing both games a few times I can honestly say the Hl1 enemies posed a bigger threat and killed me quite abit more then anything in 2, compare the challenge of the enemies to sum of the other games around the same release date. I'm not saying its easy to make great AI but at least make em smart enuff not to just stand still in the open geting mowed down.

As for me doing better....no shit? Its not my job. lol

Over all I love the series and no games perfect. I'm just suggesting a way to improve it, why so hostile? Either way ill continue to play the series, just think more challenging enemies give more replay value and make a great game a perfect game (or damn close).

Back