Half Life 2 No Quicksave Challenge

D

duhmzdaih

I think this game is too easy, so I decided to make something interesting with it. I've seen the 1:36 speedrun, but didn't like it, because I think it kills the essence of the game in some way. I wanted to do a speedrun with these rules: No Quicksave, Hard mode, No glitches, No shortcuts for skipping big fights, No imposible jumps, No gay jumping, No "flying". I've been uploading the hardest moments on Youtube, take a look :

Route Canal:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C7BF7EC71F4DC083

Water Hazard:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F1BB62C3E9A561B3

Ravenholm:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=37AAF2613876AEED

oh yeah, I forget it, about autosave...

Using Autosave is allowed, but you get the ultimate experience doing the whole game in one sit, not using autosave :p

Already did it. Because the Xbox version has no quicksave function as far as I can tell.

I've done that several times, though not in one go. The game really is easy.

Already did it. Because the Xbox version has no quicksave function as far as I can tell.

HAHAHAHA. I bet you felt gutted when you died and you went back a very long way. Or does it autosave frequently?

Made one - Dark Energy

Not that hard, considering it's one map, but whatever.

You don't need quick saves in Dark Energy. It's one of the easiest levels in the game! Try doing it with Nova Prospekt or Entanglement and see how far you get.

You don't need quick saves in Dark Energy. It's one of the easiest levels in the game! Try doing it with Nova Prospekt or Entanglement and see how far you get.

The eariest level is supposed to be the Black Mesa East.

HAHAHAHA. I bet you felt gutted when you died and you went back a very long way. Or does it autosave frequently?

It saves alot. The only bad time was when it autosaved just as the chopper cushed me to death at the end of Water Hazard.

I think this game is too easy, so I decided to make something interesting with it. I've seen the 1:36 speedrun, but didn't like it, because I think it kills the essence of the game in some way. I wanted to do a speedrun with these rules: No Quicksave, Hard mode, No glitches, No shortcuts for skipping big fights, No imposible jumps, No gay jumping, No "flying".

The speedrun done before that one, coming in at about 2:30, involved no flying, and I don't even think it used grav-jumping. Look around for it. I think RandomEngy was the speedrunner. (incidentally, he was a part of the 1:36 speedrun)

Half Life 2 the hardcore way

Well, it's not only about quicksave. The Rules:

1) Hard mode
2) No Crosshair
3) No shortcuts
4) No bonniehopping
5) No glitches or bugs
6) No cheats
7) No quicksave
8) SPEED

I don't like the typical FPS speedrun, because I feel like the commander Keen or mario instead of gordon freeman. That's why I prefer the speedruns of survival horror games (Resident Evil, Silent Hill...) because you can't do bonniehopping,flying... etc
It's an amazing job, but I think it kills the essence of the game in some way. This game is easy when using quicksave, but I decided to include more rules, to get a more interesting run. I've seen a gravity gun challenge, but it abuses quicksave. If someone think it's easy to do it without quicksave, do it faster than me (without changing the parameters of the game). If you think doing it fast, no quicksave, is easy, then do a crossbar only\no quicksave speedrun, and upload a video showing it. I'd love to see it =P
About the other speedrun video, there's no way to do this game under 3 hours without bonnie hopping and glitches\bugs abuse, even with the shortcuts. In a shooter, I prefer combat skills instead of altered jumping\abusing glitches skills. ^^

Agreed. Dark Energy was a cinch. There are several parts in the game that are just damned hard. The area in Entanglement where you have three Sentry Guns to set up and you're stuck in a cell block with tons of soldiers coming at you is the hardest part in the game, IMO.

That and fighting multiple Striders on top of the ruined building. Thank God for unlimited rocket crates!

The area in Entanglement where you have three Sentry Guns to set up and you're stuck in a cell block with tons of soldiers coming at you is the hardest part in the game, IMO.

That and fighting multiple Striders on top of the ruined building. Thank God for unlimited rocket crates!
That was fairly easy if you played it smartly. The Strider battles are pretty tough though I'll admit. IMO the lighthouse gunship battle was most difficult if you didn't use a blockade against soldiers.

P.S. For extra challenge/fun try carrying an object with you through out the game. You'll have to get a new one between portal travels and stalker carriage rides though.

If you lost your Sentry Guns, you've had it, especially on hard. Too many of those damned Shotgun-toting soldiers to put a quick end to you. The gunship battle on the lighthouse and under the bridge were pretty tough as well. Surprisingly, the gunship battle outside of Nova Prospekt proper with TWO gunships wasn't that tough, if you stayed in the corner and waited for them to appear overhead.

But back to the topic. I'm not the type of guy to try to rush things. I always enjoy absorbing as much story and small details as I can, rather than blasting through at maximum speed.

That was fairly easy if you played it smartly. The Strider battles are pretty tough though I'll admit. IMO the lighthouse gunship battle was most difficult if you didn't use a blockade against soldiers.

P.S. For extra challenge/fun try carrying an object with you through out the game. You'll have to get a new one between portal travels and stalker carriage rides though.

All the soldiers were dead by the time the gunship appears...

That's what I thought too. Unless you ran to the lighthouse and didn't kill them all.

omg, i just realized that the reason why nova prospekt was overun was cos you turned off all the thumpers..
i always thought they were already under attack inside..

omg, i just realized that the reason why nova prospekt was overun was cos you turned off all the thumpers..
i always thought they were already under attack inside..

LOL. Nova Prospekt would've been overrun long before Freeman visited the place had those Thumpers been turned off.

New videos of the hardcore run ^^

I've uploaded some new videos of this run. And I started uploading videos of episode one too. Take a look! =P

(I also changed the title of the challenge, because of misleading)

yer its to easy hopefully dey will make it harder with the orange box uped A.I hopefully on hl2 and ep1 aswell as ep2.

Back