Half-Life 2 on September 1st

• September 1st

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Mid to late September

Votes: 103 85.8%

• Total voters
I

Ice_Walker

With the preload done its only 6 dyas till September 1st. Do you think it will come out then or after.

Probably at around the 20th give or take a few days

Well, production and shipping take a good several weeks to do. So unless Valve and Vivendi have managed to hide a gold announcement from the gaming community for a few weeks (and you wouldn't believe the number of people who would have to keep their mouths shut for this to work), then it's not going to happen.

Nothings impossible. But I initially did misread, and thought he said "go gold by Sept 1st". In that case, it would be possible. But more of a dream. So when it comes down to it, yes you are right. Thanks for explaining. lol.

How can a game, that has not even announced "gold" yet, be released in 6 days?
i don't think so. Maybe Sep., 30th

I give it max 10th September. Valve said some time ago that hl2 will be bug free in early august.....you know what I think?

Half-life 2 is allready finished but CS:source is not....

Nex321 said:
Half-life 2 is allready finished but CS:source is not....

But CS:Source is being released with HL2, so technically they are interdependent unless Valve wants to release a bunch of patches via Steam instead of fixing the bugs now.

There is a strange email floating around from valve claiming more preload activity on Saturyday, of course no one seems to have confirmed it yet, does anyone feel like sending out an email?

Lobster said:
There is a strange email floating around from valve claiming more preload activity on Saturyday, of course no one seems to have confirmed it yet, does anyone feel like sending out an email?

What does that mean?

On VALVe's current schedule, I am guessing September 23rd or 24th...this is 2 or 3 days after summer btw...Summer ends the 21st.

Lobster said:

I sent one out to the valve employee (i think his name was Scott) that made the "Saturday Post" on the PlanetHL forums. People were unsure if it was really a Valve employee because it was his first post. I'll let you guys know if i get a response about this. In the post, if it is real, he said that on Saturday they would preload the full game or something. This was the link-

http://www.forumplanet.com/planethalflife/topic.asp?fid=6549&tid=1467175

[edit] i just realized that this was posted a bit before the preload began last night. Perhaps the "full preload" signified what happened last night.

Where's the "I don't think it will be released in September"-option?

My sense is that hl2 has been ready by all normal standards since early this month, but due to the experiments with Steam and beta testing, they've crept it back until they're satisfied with those two projects. The beta was obviously planned later than it should have been (maybe they had to wait until they had a coherent version of CS). Now that both preloading and the beta seem to have run their course smoothly, Valve will be ready to stick a fork in it as soon as next week (I'd say today is possible, but I think they want to wait a week to call the preloading a success).

To those who say its not gold yet:

It is possible that the game is already gold, just that its silent Valve nor VU informed us. So i wont be surprised if it comes out during the first or 2nd week of September

Again, it's possible but highly improbable. Too many people would have to keep their mouths shut for this to work, including retailers, and you know that someone would leak the info.

I think September isn't probable. We can only guess the status of HL2, but CS:S has plenty of bugs and who knows where the conversion of HL1 is at. I speculate LATE October. Just speculation

THe person delayed it b and hour becuase he said they needed 1 more hour of testing, what does that tell you?!!? that er getting ready for rleeased hopefully and that HL2 will be on my pc the 1rst :D
oldfaq

Ice_Walker said:
With the preload done its only 6 dyas till September 1st. Do you think it will come out then or after.
Im guessing middle of november. Its not even GOLD yet! And once it goes GOLD, it takes like a month for publishing.

I sent one out to the valve employee (i think his name was Scott) that made the "Saturday Post" on the PlanetHL forums. People were unsure if it was really a Valve employee because it was his first post. I'll let you guys know if i get a response about this. In the post, if it is real, he said that on Saturday they would preload the full game or something. This was the link-

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetha...549&tid=1467175

I think it is BS. When has Valve ever released anything before 6-7 PM PST? This guy says 9 AM PST

Hello All,

I want to thank everyone for the loyalty to our upcoming release. I know you are all very anxious to get the Half Life 2 preload, and we are about to deliver.

As posted earlier, we are doing some final testing.

We should be ready for a full preload release Saturday, 9AM PST.

Thanks,
Scott Lynch
Valve

Im guessing middle of november. Its not even GOLD yet! And once it goes GOLD, it takes like a month for publishing.

Untrue. It doesnt, usually, take so long to go from gold to release. It took D3 about 2.5 weeks- as an example.

kaellinn18 said:
Again, it's possible but highly improbable. Too many people would have to keep their mouths shut for this to work, including retailers, and you know that someone would leak the info.

They can keep it a secret, iv've seen slient gold for big games in the past before. All Valve needs to do is to keep it to themselves and not telling anyone. Even VU if they want to.

Pauly said:

man i hate posts like this: Itisn't even GOLD yet and it will take 3 months to make it and no GOLD anouncement.

how do you know it isn't GOLD yet, VALVe didn't tell you everything. it could very well be that the game went gold back on the 17th of august when they wanted it to preload but becouse of some bugs they needed to make a new RC and that's why they delayed the preload.

just everyone stop posting things like it isn't gold yet and stuff because you can't know.

i actualy think it will release somewhere between the 1th and 15th of september

crownest said:
They can keep it a secret, iv've seen slient gold for big games in the past before. All Valve needs to do is to keep it to themselves and not telling anyone. Even VU if they want to.

how can they keep it a secret to VU it's the publisher. GOLD means ready for production. VU does the production so they need to know otherwise they can't produce it.

Ice_Walker said:

They havent preloaded the whole game yet. That was only one gig of it so far.

seinfeldrules said:
I think it is BS. When has Valve ever released anything before 6-7 PM PST? This guy says 9 AM PST

The date is also on a weekend, which may have to do with the time. Since not too many people work on the weekend, they can put the preload out much earlier.

But, on the other hand, when did valve release an update, patch or preload on a weekend.

If this is true, and I hope it is, then i say it will come out around Sept. 1. If not, then I can't see a release happening.

i think its possible w/ a silent release, i mean they managed to keep quiet with no explaination behind the preload being late

No but they also really wanna get this game out fast once it goes gold, but i believe at the end of september would be reliable since it has gone on preload now so 1 month ahead looks like they could make it.

why would they bother preloading now if it's not going to be released until october or november? No, it's got to be September. Otherwise that's just stupid. It's plausible and probable it's going to be released in one month's time.

probably late november early december, I just dont see anything happening anytime soon.

Adidajs said:
why would they bother preloading now if it's not going to be released until october or november? No, it's got to be September. Otherwise that's just stupid.

you could say that about everything Valve does.
so far the consensus seems to be "marketing strategies all up in out hizzies" as to why they have done/do what they do :)

also remember what is being preloaded is not the final game so what impact that has on a release/gold date is a mystery.
its a luke-warm step in the right direction

Back