Half-Life 2 Pre-Load - TONIGHT

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our forum member, killahsin-[CE], has posted on our forums news that the Half-Life 2 pre-load starts tonight. The news comes directly from the top, Gabe Newell:
Half-Life 2 pre-load begins tonight at 6:00 PM PST.
This means that in approximately three hours, the non-changing parts of Half-Life 2 will be downloaded and cached on your system. This will likely be the models, sounds and textures, in an encrypted format.[br]
[br]
According to this page, which is the marketing pop-up for the Half-Life 2 pre-load, you can pre-load now and pay when you're ready.[br]<span align="center">
1093559361_preload.jpg
</span>[br]You can catch the original forum post from Gabe Newell here.[br]UPDATE: Erik Johnson has posted on the PlanetHalfLife Forums with an update:
We'd like to get one more hour of testing in, so we're going to do this closer to 7:00pm PST.[br]Erik Johnson[br]Valve
I will post as soon as the pre-load is available.

yay :D stuff we can't do anything with! :D :D :D

this means its coming out soon though :) yay!
/me is jealous of hl2fallout now :p

The Mullinator said:
My god you are fast with your news posting! :eek:
If we can't be first, we gotta be second ;)

Actually, the real reason is I'm a typical forumite like everyone else and spend all my time here :( I never miss a thing!

If you were clever, you'd have dropped the pic and added an iFrame. ;)

I'm going to have to go to bed now, though. Wake me if something happens. ;)

Varsity said:
If you were clever, you'd have dropped the pic and added an iFrame. ;)
I don't even know what one of those is, or even if it's possible with our news script ;)

very cool. now every topic wont degress into "well this is just like when they didnt have the pre-load ready..." and were also one step closer to actually playing.

I tried to get you the info as fast as humanly possible chris lol

9 minutes isnt bad lol but in net time i guess it could be considered old news =P

Varsity said:
The script is HTML, right?
It's all programmed in PHP but it can handle HTML commands. Not sure how advanced they are though and it might mess up the appearence of the thread if vBulletin doesn't support it because the thread and news post are directly linked to each other.

We'll see if Valve can actually make a date today...

As much as I'd like to see it happen, as of right now, my faith in their scheduling is zilch.

HL2 preload starts today = release september

partytime guys :cheers: :bounce: :thumbs: :cheese: :naughty: :eek:

Wha wha wasnt this posted already?

Anyway w00t0x :D

Time?

InFeRnO said:
We'll see if Valve can actually make a date today...

As much as I'd like to see it happen, as of right now, my faith in their scheduling is zilch.
People were saying the exact same thing about the CS:S pre-loading the night that it occured but Valve still made it.

Anything can happen of course and it doesn't matter how well organized a company is since problems can still arise and last minute delays have to be announced but just remember that it is certainly just as likely for them to get a date right than it is to get it wrong.

Be pessimistic if it will make you feel better prepared for the worst, otherwise assume Valve will make the date.

Feels like hl2 is just a stepping stone away.

Finally...preloading here I come! After I get my new hard drive tomorrow...mmmm...80 + 40 = 120GB

2 more hours and its on my system

They game is coming soon maybe 2 weeks from now and I can't wait! I think they might go in a forum and tell everyone its gold like they did with this preload.
:borg:

HL2fallout.com is down!!! Why??? H4x0rt?!

Anyways I hope a goldstatement follows soon, before a thief comes along and steals Gabe's lunch.....which means delay is imminent :farmer:

I <3 Chris.

On more serious notes...

Yay! I can't be bothered to stay up until 2am to get it though, since I just came back from holiday, after a...17 hour day.

yes YES YES!!! the day is drawing near my fellow comrades!!! Prepare for the awakening!!!!

Awakening of n00bs to our forums that is.

:bounce:

Whoo hoo! Two pieces of good news in one day!

Those credit card/cd-key fraudsters got shut down by Valve and now this. :)

RonaldMcDonald said:
HL2fallout.com is down!!! Why??? H4x0rt?!

Anyways I hope a goldstatement follows soon, before a thief comes along and steals Gabe's lunch.....which means delay is imminent :farmer:
Looks like the fact that it's being linked to on three large sites (at least) has killed it.

I'm getting my SSH client ready to wget the new Bink videos in! Can't wait and can hardly figure out which missing scene they'll release as a salve for missed deadlines.

Not. ;-)

I'll be ready.

does this mean that we get the SDK? since we'll have pretty much everything we need?
oldfaq

Grimfox said:
Hey, I bought the ATI98XT with the free Hl2 offer, if god forbid I gotta format HD and steam already let me dl it once, will it let me do it again? and they wont send me a HL2 in box right?
You can download it from Steam as many times as you want/need.

Grimfox said:
Hey, I bought the ATI98XT with the free Hl2 offer, if god forbid I gotta format HD and steam already let me dl it once, will it let me do it again? and they wont send me a HL2 in box right?
They won't send you the box if you input your product key into Steam. They'll assume you just want to download it all from Steam.

If you put your product key into Steam and you format your HDD it will still be stored on your Steam account so all you need to do is go to "Browse Games" > "Register a product I already own..." and then it will let you put it in again to download it :)

I'll believe it when I see it!
VALVE CANNOT BE TRUSTED THEY ARE LIKE THE COMBINE IN HALF-LIFE 2! LOL

I trust the combine damnit... I plan on joining up with them when I play...

Yay!

It's finally gonna happen!

Ready or not, here I come!

Hurray, the wait is almost over!

Am i the only one clicking the 'Click here to pre-load now' link every 5 seconds? :eek:

Back