*~*Half-Life 2 preload begins August 17*~*

Salmonax said:
By the way, if we plan to purchase the CD version, do we have to pre-load the stuff? I don't want all this extra cache stuff taking up space on my hard drive if I'm just installing the CD version.

Or will the cached stuff just be used when I install off the disk as well?

No, I think the pre-load is only for those who plan to purchase the game via Steam

No the preload is for every1, i plan on preloading so all i have to do is pop in my disc and enter my cd-key.

The way I see the current situation is this; VALVe would not start preloading the game unless it is weeks away, even if they are testing Steam's heavy load capabilities, they still wouldn't be doing this if the game was more than a month away, there's just no point.

Varg|Hund said:
Yay! Vampire: Bloodlines one step closer! :E

yeah.. Bloodlines these days is lost in the shuffle, isn't it? :|
i think it will be a good fps-rpg game and hopefully sells well.

thehunter1320 said:
ahh, the beauty comes in... Steam won't let those people play til it's released worldwide by VALVe. So stores could sell the game right off the truck, those people won't be able to play :D

a nice concept but like Mr. Redundant pointed out...if some stores start selling early while other stores follow the guidelines.. its gonna suck big time.
i hope if any stores break the guidelines for HL2, Valve sues their pants off big time :flame:

Salmonax said:
By the way, if we plan to purchase the CD version, do we have to pre-load the stuff? I don't want all this extra cache stuff taking up space on my hard drive if I'm just installing the CD version.

with CZ Valve kinda messed up by not asking the users if they wanted to pre-load the game.. but hopefully they have learned a lesson and this time around Steam should ask u whether u would like to pre-load HL2.. that should help out the 56K'ers.

Dr. Freeman said:
with CZ Valve kinda messed up by not asking the users if they wanted to pre-load the game.. but hopefully they have learned a lesson and this time around Steam should ask u whether u would like to pre-load HL2.. that should help out the 56K'ers.

The dodgy thing is i got CZ two weeks ago and i installed it from the CD, which was fine, but when i tried to add it to steam, it didnt convert the existing install, it just downloaded all the Cache files fresh, i hope they sort that out for HL2.

Salmonax said:
Hit a nerve, did I? I saw the hype go insane on this board one year ago when the game was supposedly going to be released, and now it seems it's starting all over again.

Valve is absolutely notorious at this point for delaying games indefinitely, from the original Half-Life to Condition Zero to Team Fortress 2 to our beloved Half-Life 2.

I just think we should take any news of progress with a landfill of salt.

Well, I think that this time you can take that landfill of salt of yours and calmly shove it up your bottom. The game is max two months away, no need to be sceptical anymore.

Dr. Freeman said:

I remember this being fixed for Codename:Gordon. It's funny because on another mesage board I argued with someone who thought that the CZ Preload was a way for Valve to market the game. He was convinced that it kept on downloading even when you stopped it. And because it "Forced" ifself onto your computers, he thought you'd be more likely to buy it.

I'm really not sure how he came up with that, or understand it really.

Salmonax said:
Hit a nerve, did I? I saw the hype go insane on this board one year ago when the game was supposedly going to be released, and now it seems it's starting all over again.

Valve is absolutely notorious at this point for delaying games indefinitely, from the original Half-Life to Condition Zero to Team Fortress 2 to our beloved Half-Life 2.

Erm, I seem to remember Half-Life and Condition Zero being released.

We have far greater evidence that things are finished now than we did last year.

* We know that the Source Engine is finished, except for any bugs that the CS:S beta may find.

* We know a definate date for when Steam starts preloading Half-Life 2 content.

We didn't know any of those things last year.

Feath said:
Erm, I seem to remember Half-Life and Condition Zero being released.

We have far greater evidence that things are finished now than we did last year.

* We know that the Source Engine is finished, except for any bugs that the CS:S beta may find.

* We know a definate date for when Steam starts preloading Half-Life 2 content.

We didn't know any of those things last year.
Also, it would be foolish ( even for valve) to announce a preloading date thats seven days away and not meet it.

DrunkPanda said:
is that not what they already did? *cough aug 5th CS:S cough*
Hmm.. Good point.. But no-one really "asked" for the preload date of HL2, so Valve could have kept it secret if they wanted to, but they didn't.. so..

Nyah!

brink's said:
Also, it would be foolish ( even for valve) to announce a preloading date thats seven days away and not meet it.

But it was also foolish to annouce 4 days before September 30th that the game was delayed ;(

But it would be extremely foolish to make that same mistake twice.

Shhhhh, keep it down. Just the very mention that HL2 content will be coming to it gets my Hard Drive all hott and bothered.

Sparta said:
But it was also foolish to annouce 4 days before September 30th that the game was delayed ;(

7 days. It was announced on the 23rd of September (in Valve's timezone).

Salmonax said:

I don't use steam since I am on dial-up (Amazingly slow whether I was using WON or Steam) but I am pretty sure pre-caching is disabled by default so no you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

ive been away for about a week as ive been busy moving into my apartment for school, and about 1/2 an hour ago the cable guy hooked up my internet. and this is the news i see. im excited.

Back