Half life 2 release date update by someone in the business

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

axdenied01

Taken from the PC IGN board. The poster is NeoMaxims, he is a VIP there, and works for Black Widow Games. He's in the business, and pretty close to Valve, considering he worked on mods for Half life (The Underworld mod, and They Hunger ) . The users have been harassing him for Half life 2 info ever since he made it clear that he knew something, but coudnt say it. Today he got tired of it all, and posted this message. Here's what he had to say. If you want my opinion, Half life 2 will be released on Steam the 30th, and later on retail. There you go :

"Officially I can't tell you anything of course, but I can absolutely quote Gabe and allow you to draw your own, fairly obvious conclusion correct?

"In countries like England, where the retail product will be available either simultaneously or close to the US release (we don't control those dates, only the Steam dates),"

This was Gabe's official response to a question asking why Steam is going to function as a sales mechanism for HL2 versus retail.

[link=http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1298&perpage=15 &pagenumber=21] Find the response here[/link]

Edit: ^^^ BAH... Stupid linking. I'll ask you to forgive my lack of correct link usage. I promise you that it is indicative of why i'm a writer and not a code-monkey.

Consider this, and you should know all you need to.

Another post in the thread, by him again :

" Vivendi has been firm about their date. They own retail distribution rights.

Valve controls Steam dates. They have been firm about their date.

Ponder. "

"I'm going to tell you all a story about a game called Diablo 2.

It was mass pressed and distributed in eight day (ten with shipping). It currently holds a record.

Don't make me say anything else.

I'm just having aches and pains watching you all squirm over the release dates.

Just realize that two seperate entities can both be right.

Come the 30th, there won't be "right" and "wrong" folks about the release, just shades of gray. "

Regarding the fake email he pointed at, in his first post :

"Garp... It doesn't matter if THAT email is fake. *wink*

I'm just using it to make a point. "

"Neko... I can say this "officially". Retail will not be the 2004 release.

You will see it... I just can't say exactly which day.... though I have my informed hunches. "

Remember, this guy is a VIP at the boards, which mean its IGN who gave him "mod" access. He's in the business.

soooo hl2 will be released by steam for sure on sep 30?

Vivendi are morons if they'd want to play god with Valve's wishes.

Blow em up. :x

And I told myself I would not purchase it via steam. But if it does indeed come out via steam on the 30th and NOT retail, I will purchase it. But still plan on getting the retail collectors edition when it comes out. So I will buy the option via steam that is just for the sp.

I dont think Steam is ready yet... they got a week to fix it :p

Uh, didn't we just see this post a while back. In any case, however official this guy is, he WAS (and you are) quoting an email that WAS posted here that was pretty much confirmed as being a fake.

Furthermore, he's pretty obviously suggesting that Valve will release via Steam only first. This is in flat contradiction to the fact that 1) Valve said they wouldn't do this 2) I would bet real money that their contract with Vivendi stipulates that Vivendi's support is premised on them NOT releasing it on steam first 3) it would be an incredible disaster, given how many more people would try to buy HL2 off steam when they find out that they can't get the retail version.

Official mod or not, there's no reason to trust this guy.

Sorry if it was already posted before, my bad.

As for the fake email remark, he already replied to it :

And when was the last time that valve confirmed that the game will be available on steam and in stores the same day..? (just wondering, not trying to make a point)

Originally posted by Apos
Uh, didn't we just see this post a while back. In any case, however official this guy is, he WAS (and you are) quoting an email that WAS posted here that was pretty much confirmed as being a fake.

Furthermore, he's pretty obviously suggesting that Valve will release via Steam only first. This is in flat contradiction to the fact that 1) Valve said they wouldn't do this 2) I would bet real money that their contract with Vivendi stipulates that Vivendi's support is premised on them NOT releasing it on steam first 3) it would be an incredible disaster, given how many more people would try to buy HL2 off steam when they find out that they can't get the retail version.

Official mod or not, there's no reason to trust this guy.

I couldn't agree more with Apos...I could care less if there's a dude out there claiming to be Gabe's brother...and he gets all the info through him...if Valve doesn't state it, or it's not in stores by the 30th (or several days after), I won't believe it.

Originally posted by axdenied01
Sorry if it was already posted before, my bad.

As for the fake email remark, he already replied to it :

And when was the last time that valve confirmed that the game will be available on steam and in stores the same day..? (just wondering, not trying to make a point)

Yep, that was me! I had to be the jerk to point that out. :devil:

Just using a fraud to prove a point? That was, at best, a lame save. Certianly doesn't redeem his credibility.

He's not claiming anything Spit, he's a mod there and a VIP. That means that he's not a normal user, but an important guy who's been "promoted" by the editors there. The only other guy I saw with this status there is Denys Dyack, director of Silicon Knights. He's just not a wannabe guys.

Anyways, not trying to start a flame war, just pointing things out. We'll see the 30th, we're all a bit lost :)

Sure, but no matter who you are, its easy to let things get to your head and when you're excited to think you know more than you think you know. He pretty clearly thinks that Valve and Vivendi are arguing over release dates and have different ones IN PUBLIC. But both of them have the same release date listed officially now. More importantly, it makes no sense for them to be arguing over the release date. The only issue up for debate would be whether Vivendi can produce the boxes fast enough given whatever timeframe Valve has.

Publishers are the worst people in the business. They delay games, rush games, don't allow proper polishing on some games, etc. I really respect devs that self publish, and with the advent of Steam, I woulnd't be surprised if we saw the era of internet-online releases, no publishers needed.

Originally posted by Apos

emmmmmm Apos, i must correct you there.
the email which is quoted is mine. and i have proved it NOT to be a fake buy supplying a screen grab.

if you CHOOSE to THINK that your IMPRESSION of the facts is 100% accurate, I really think you should add a disclaimer.

My bet is that HL2 will be availible on Steam come september 30th. Retail will follow some weeks or so after.

Just think alittle about it, how much money would go right into Valve by releasing it on Steam? They don't have to pay a dime to Vivendi. By selling the game on Steam it would be 100% profit.

And if that is the case, hello Steam!

Actually VIP on IGN means you can change your name's colors, thats about it. Which mods can also do, but VIP's don't have mod powers.

Valve still has to pay for bandwidth. So it can't be all profit. Or they at least have to pay the people providing servers for them.

Vivendi wants the money , Valve wants the fans. Draw your own conclusion: Game gets released in store by holidays and via Steam at 9/30.

what would be the point of releasing the finished game via steam then having the game on shelves weeks and months laster? I mean I know burning thousands of cds takes time and all but it shouldn't take more than a week...until we hear anything offical I'm still sticking to the fact that they said steam and the boxed versions will be released on the exact same day...who knows there just may be a ship comming over with thousands of copies of hl2 as we speak...

Originally posted by Templar Wizard
emmmmmm Apos, i must correct you there.
the email which is quoted is mine. and i have proved it NOT to be a fake buy supplying a screen grab.

if you CHOOSE to THINK that your IMPRESSION of the facts is 100% accurate, I really think you should add a disclaimer.

Yeah people, Templar's e-mail was not the 'fake' one, where did everyone get that idea? Templar's e-mail is still in the Valve Info thread, the one that everyone thinks was fake was removed from the thread.

The supposedly fake one said that HL2 wouldn't appear on store shelves until 2-5 days after Steam release. Templar's just says that Valve does not control the retail release dates. If you people don't believe THAT, you need a better understanding of how this industry works.

Reply:

Well my first post on these forums, been reading them a while and just haven't registered but wanted to do so this evening. Whenever HL2 comes out which I hope its September 30th just as much as the next guy it will be out, although anticipation is fun with game releases, I remember that from the days well actually over a year I waited to get Perfect Dark for the N64. I think its good people show active and positive ideas on here, for anyone that wants to be negative it just seems like a waste of time, or to dwindle someone's hopes of the game coming out, why ruin someone else's hopes anyway? Just my two cents

- Jason :E

I TELL YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE GAME WILL BE RELEASED AT 30TH. SEP.!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT TRUST ANY RUMORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY 6 DAYS AND I WILL INSTALL IT ON MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!

:thumbs:

Originally posted by jplove
I TELL YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE GAME WILL BE RELEASED AT 30TH. SEP.!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DONT TRUST ANY RUMORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY 6 DAYS AND I WILL INSTALL IT ON MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!

:thumbs:
'......Seven days.....'

If they are able to release it on steam, they should be able to release it in stores the same day. D2 took 8 days from gold to shelves, but that was 3 years ago, and we dont even know if it have gone gold already. all we know is that they havent announced it (yet). If they are smart, and they prolly are as they have managed to keep the hype down for 5 years, they could just make the game go gold, when their publishers say they have to if they want to release by sep. 30th, and use steams autopatching system to make it uptodate with the steam release. therefor i dont see any reason for the release to be steam first.
Also viviendi have managed to make several worldwide releases, so unless valve tells you otherwise you should belive in sep. 30th

Originally posted by CrazyHarij
Vivendi wants the money , Valve wants the fans. Draw your own conclusion: Game gets released in store by holidays and via Steam at 9/30.

Err..Valve wants money as well. :D

One thing in regards to people stating 'They might be burning CD's as we speak'.

This this was infact true it will be out on Warez now...

6 days, 15 hours is not 6 days.. its the 23th today, and the game will be out the 30th do the math yourself, and stop using caps

the mail is genuine. so you guys can relax.

what we need now from Valve is the option to pre-order Half-life2.
this will mean:

-that the game is actually finished, because we can (apparantly) download some of the game when we pre-order.

lets hope the option appears soon.

also, have you guys noticed that there has been no offical info (edit: in the offical info thread) from Valve in a couple of days?

Reply:

I would most likely say they are polishing things up, maybe just like alot of other companys they want to release it as good as possible, I'm sure they're working their asses off to get it done. I'd rather them take their time than to release something thats half assed like many of the good series that EA took over for. :(

- Jason

Yes , Valve wants the money aswell, but the difference is that Valve wants the money AND the fan's happiness. Vivendi just wants the money, they probably say something like "screw the fans, if we get enough money from this game we might be able to screw that and that other gaming company too."

@jplove: The September 30th is the 30/9 at Valvesoftware in BELLEVUE WA (GMT -8, that's Pacific Standard Time) and not at the date-border on the chatham-islands in the south pacific near newzealand (GMT+13). So in Germany (GMT+1) it will be October 1st already. So it's 7 and not 6 days. Get your facts straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back