Half-Life 2 sales numbers?

fizzlephox

Reaction score
Does anyone here know anything about the Half-Life 2 sales numbers through traditional retail and steam and how these numbers might compare to other holiday titles?

I presume they would be quite high, though probably not as high as Halo2 or GTA.

HL2 will outsell all other games currently on the market. Oh, and yes please quote me on it.

Sales figures are nothing that "they" will reveal to the public I'm sure. Except in the millions ;)

Dead-Inside said:
HL2 will outsell all other games currently on the market

sorry, had to

EDIT: to make more out of this horrible post, too little publicity on tv and stuff and not as big a cult following as console GTA and Halo spells disappointing sales figures

but for PC it should skyrocket!!!

Yeah azz0r is right. I work at toys'r'us and we don't even have it in but we've sold hundreds of copys of halo2 and san andres

I reckon he means in the long term. And on that I agree with him.

Halo 2 and GTA won't be selling this time next year. HL2 will.

Wildhound said:

Other way around, if anything. HL2 has no (new) multiplayer and little replay value. GTA & H2 (at least) will outsell it significantly, and will still be doing so months down the line. Console is a *big* market!

Retail sales or steam sales.
Retail sales will not be that high at all.
Steam sales will probably be very large

koopa said:
Other way around, if anything. HL2 has no (new) multiplayer and little replay value. GTA & H2 (at least) will outsell it significantly, and will still be doing so months down the line. Console is a *big* market!
/me scratches head wondering why HL1 kept on selling so well years after its release.

Oh thats right, it was the mods that made it sell so damn well, and I don't see any reason why the same mod success won't repeat itself for HL2.

Did I say it will outsell them NOW, or even anytime in the near future? No, I didn't. You'll see, bitches.

And obviously I didn't mean console games, I'm one of those PC-only kinda guys. I only swing one way.

The Mullinator said:
/me scratches head wondering why HL1 kept on selling so well years after its release.

Oh thats right, it was the mods that made it sell so damn well, and I don't see any reason why the same mod success won't repeat itself for HL2.

agreed....The MODs is what keeps the half-life series so high above the Halo one....I'm sorry but what mods are there for Halo? :p MODs and the ease of creating them with this engine capability = great. :bounce:

hl2 will sell well down the line because:
1) halo 2's sp was a disappointment
2) GTA:SA will evently be forgotten like GTA 3 and vice city was
3) with pc technology going at the pace that it is, more people are going to be able to play the game just like any one who has a sub-par pc can play hl1 today

i cant help but think that the beauty of the game will be lost on most gamers, or did the majority really play through HL1? While the action and sheer visceral thrill will be enjoyed by Joe Gamer, many nuances of the story were lost on even us HL fanbois here. It almost seems like its a gift to the hardcore fans from Valve at the cost of alienating your average gamer. Or have I got the demographics wrong, was the whole world expecting HL2?

Actually that's the beauty of it. It doesn't alienate the average gamer at all. You can play through it and never notice the nuances, as you put it, and still have a blast. Or you can enjoy every minute detail. It caters for everyone really.

2) GTA:SA will evently be forgotten like GTA 3 and vice city was

Half Life 2 could sell for years and not catch up to the numbers GTA puts up.

Gta sells today like Mario did when I was a kid.

Halo2 and GTA have huge sales because too many kids are playing, they are on consoles, come on, most families own one for their kids~~~~ HL2 requires so much more intelligence and appreciation from older gamers that those 11year-olds dont understand...

I agree 100%

Half Life 2 will change how console games are made and those kids dont even know it. They hardly even know how Half Life 1 changed the genre.

Or maybe Im a biased fanboy.

Wildhound said:

You do realize that the original Halo took something like 24 months before it was dropped from its $49.99 pricepoint, and never left the X-box top10 sellers list, right?

Why do we now need to start bashing GTA? Don't get me wrong, I like the Half-Life series more. But the GTA series is not, by any means, a stupid one. They're damn good games. The developers put in a lot of time and effort to make fantastic cities, plenty of varying missions, tons of side-missions, great storytelling, and freeform gameplay that is insanely addictive and fun.

And I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and watch some fanboys downplay it for... what was that reason again? It's a console game? Because the younger audience can't appreciate it? Newsflash, people. Plenty of younger gamers played Half-Life and Half-Life 2, and plenty of older gamers have played the GTA games. To say that HL2 somehow requires more intelligence is asinine bullshit at best.

****ing Christ, you people.

1. "Super Mario Bros." for NES: 40 Million Units
2. "Tetris" for Gameboy: 33 Million Units
3. "Super Mario Bros. 3" for NES: 18 Million Units
4. "Super Mario World" for SNES: 17 Million Units
5. "Super Mario Land" for Gameboy: 14 Million Units
6. "Super Mario 64" for N64: 11 Million Units
7. "The Sims" for PC: 10 Million Units
8. "Super Mario Bros. 2" for NES: 10 Million Units
9. "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" for PS2: 8.5 Million Units
10. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for PSX: 8 Million Units
11. "GoldenEye" for N64: 8 Million Units
12. "Donkey Kong Country" for SNES: 8 Million Units
13. "Super Mario Kart" for SNES: 8 Million Units
14. "Pokemon Red/Blue" for Gameboy: 8 Million Units
15. "Half-Life" for PC: 8 Million Units
16. "Tomb Raider II" for PSX: 8 Million Units
17. "Final Fantasy VII" for PSX: 7.8 Million Units
18. "Myst" for PC: 7 Million Units
19. "Gran Turismo 3" for PS2: 7 Million Units
20. "Dragon Warrior VII" for PS2: 6 Million Units

10. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for PSX: 8 Million Units

May I be the first to say "What the hell?!"

All of the rest I agree with, for the most part.

At least in the top 15 I do.

amen baal... amen.. WTF a harry potter game *puke*

(No I dont mind Harry potter, just the games)

The Mullinator said:

It was mainly one mod that kept the sales going. CS was a fluke. Sure, mods will sell some extra units, but so far CounterStrike has been the only mod that has really pushed any game over the top.

Here's hoping HL2 has the same luck.

There you have it. It appears that console gaming has better penetration as they are cheaper, and any old person can operate one. Perhaps we should be saying that Hl2 would be the most popular PC game. To me, its not the game I was buying into, its a multiplayer platform that will last us for the next 5 years.

HL2 kicks the crap out of GTA SA AND Halo2..... Pffft... It'll sell like..... eehh.. like beer or somethin'

koopa said:

Multiplayer is a matter of time - despite the fact that it has cs and will have dod.

I think it does have replay value, some of the action is amazing and if your keen on understanding the story i think you will play many time to try and find all the information valve gives you throughout the game.

And if anything the single biggest factor is the modifications that will emerge. CS set the precedent, if a new CS eerges for HL2, then even if people dont buy HL2 for the SP they definately get it to be apart of the online mod community.

Plus i think HL2 (espicially silver) is the best value for money you could have atm in pc and console gaming.

So yes in the long term i think it will keep selling well. And definately outlast Halo2 or GTA

ShadowFox said:
It was mainly one mod that kept the sales going. CS was a fluke. Sure, mods will sell some extra units, but so far CounterStrike has been the only mod that has really pushed any game over the top.

Here's hoping HL2 has the same luck.

Well fluke or not i would have to think its highly likely another CS comes along. If the support is there for the mod community, mods will keep being worked on. It will only take one CS and then valve will be rolling in even more cash.

Plus i dont think you can ignore mods like DoD and NS. I think if these mods can get enough exposure then, they will flourish, and the community will grow.

Back