Half-Life 2 : Substance mod

Subtance Crash

I installed the Substance mod, but when I run it the game goes to the loading screen (for the menu) but it never actually loads the menu. I let it sit there over night just to be sure. I have fully patched the mod, and reinstalled it a number of times, but nothing has worked.

By the way, I have previously played version .84 of the mod, and it worked but since then I have uninstalled Half Life 2. The other day, I decided to reinstall Half Life 2 and I played through the first level, and then tried to install Substance v1.0.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot, I didn't know where else to put it.

Thanks in advance.

My system specs are...

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
512 Kingston 3200 RAM
Windows 2000
Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard

Crash9789: your specs are better than mine but the problem seems one performance related,check this: enter normal HL2 and lower all the video and audio settings to the very minimum; before reinstalling (side note: the correct weight for the full 1.0X file is 87 megs),delete manually the \HL2Substance\ folder in \Sourcemods\; set your Launch Options this way (to access them,right click on steam -> play games -> half-life2):
-console -heapsize 320000 -developer 1 -debug

It worked!!!

Thank you very much, it works just fine now! Cheers! :cheers:

Heres the #2 file, about 300% volume, the more volume I add, the worse the sound gets, I tested it ingame and it's a bit loud, but not as loud as you or even I wanted. I'll keep trying to add more while keeping it alive.

Attachments

• tripod2[edit].zip
    90 KB · Views: 133
i would love to have a tripod roar so loud that even deaf people would quake in terror [wich might be posible cuz i play with full volume altho i dont have my 5.1 set up how is the tripod cannon disentigration fx and the tripod skin

Jason Vorhees: *mumble mumble* that damn beast starts shooting so soon that what you hear ultimately is "BOOOOooooo - zap zap zap zap - OOOooonnnn". But! We could have the sound play when you start the once bugged strider plaza scene,coming from the enviroment

kaotik_stalker: we can have louder striders,but even with that they're not so scary :( talking about quakes,an idea could be setting that striders hit by rockets generate a small screen shaking (try the console command "shake")

Pospi of Instagib Source (multiplayer) has agreed in collaborating with us for 1.2,look at his work http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_InstagibSource_Beta_10_Mod;44848 and tell us what you would port/mesh into the HL2 campaign (single player) if you were him

EDIT
I just crashed the skull of a combine with a soda can tossed with bare hands at him. Maybe only Gray Fox will be absolutely killer with that,but I'd like to have Liquid able to perform some good Fantastic 4's The Thing action,like lifting cars by himself,or the ultimate soda can attack

xdiesp said:
EDIT
I just crashed the skull of a combine with a soda can tossed with bare hands at him. Maybe only Gray Fox will be absolutely killer with that,but I'd like to have Liquid able to perform some good Fantastic 4's The Thing action,like lifting cars by himself,or the ultimate soda can attack

I hope you don't intend to make this mod too cartoon-ish. I really like Substance the way it is now, and I welcome any improvements and crazy ideas, but let's not turn it into some Dragonball ****. Anyway, if he can lift cars by himself, then what's the gravitygun for? So, IMO, this particular idea is not good.:|
:upstare: :)

Malleus: Liquid has no ggun in 1.2,but yes,the cartoonish risk is there. We'll test this later on,maybe the superstrenght could be activated only under certain circustances (like bleeding,a desperation attack)

have u decided to put any of taturanas mod in i think u should use the old phygun model except of the normal one it looks beter and taturana didnt make he took the hl2beta mod and made it so u only have 1 round for the snipe and u fight cs guys thats all

in the next season of 24: "get me Dale181,MedicDance sent the first page of the intro!"

DALE181: this is page 1 of 2 to facepose http://www.mrbodacious.com/multimedia/sigs/clips_7-19-05.zip

kaotik_stalker: deciding is easy,but if Taturana doesn't asnwer me back and agrees,I can't tell what he did by himself and what he took from the beta

Jerry is back and fights with us,1.2 development restarts at full speed

COOL speed. i'm glad Jerry is finaly back
lol we have had 20 pages of posts since the 1000st post (10 june)
that's alot. i think we could reach 100 pages :)
EDIT: oh and this saturday i'm going on vacation. i'll be gone for a week

xdiesp, i have a question relating to something you did in substance.

after i played through substance like the 20000th time cause it was fun :p, i started to realize that u had set up random npc skins for 1 model, so like the combine soldier has like 3 skins, the super solder has 2, and so on and so forth. I would like to know how to do this, and if it requires something like a coding that u hafta pay for, would you be willing to do it for me with skins i will give you links to? i would greatly appreciate any feedback, thanks anyways...

It's done through code. I can't specifically remember how, but it's pretty simple (and very effective).

-Angry Lawyer

thx...

thx, im gonna send a pm to xdiesp i thnk so he will get it quicker...

IM not a newbie WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

oh btw, i tried to just rename them (ex: zombiesheetwhatever.vtf, zombiesheetwhatever2.vtf, etc.) cause when i looked in the substance folder into combine soldier thats what looked like was done...

}{o}{-Silent: I edited the combine soldier/guard/elite models to support multiple skins,as the antlions one normally does,with Cannonfodder's MDL decompiler. Then,Jerry set in the spawn code for those enemes that their skin was a random one between 1 and 3 (4 being the invisible assassin one,that I set instead in the console,to be applied when they see you - there's 4 skins for the soldier and 3 for the guard and elite). Try opening our combine_soldier.mdl with that program and search for "skinfamilies" inside. I can't remember the right coding line,but I guess it's still somewhere in the topic...30 or so pages ago :p

EDIT
our zombie models don't support the multiple skins,yet! Do you have a program able to decompile and recompile their models without the delta animations being all screwed up? I'll try to check my italian forum to find that coding line...

lol thx for fast response....errr....i dont really have any tools, i have vtf edit, adobe photoshop cs2, umm....i think thats about it...oh and i have gcf scape...ill look into the multiple models thing

Silent: no need to panic at all http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/download.php?id=mdldecompiler.05.rar Install this,extract the combine guard model and related files from the GCF,apply the code I sent you to its qc and recompile it with studiomdl. Now the model hosts multiple skins. To have HL2 spawn the skins randomly,you need a line of code more or less like to spawn models with different skins,but after all you need multiple skins,not models...

xdiesp said:
EDIT
our zombie models don't support the multiple skins,yet! Do you have a program able to decompile and recompile their models without the delta animations being all screwed up? I'll try to check my italian forum to find that coding line...

It's pretty simple to reimplement them with Milkshape, actually.

-Angry Lawyer

studiomdl!?!??! AHHHHHHHHH im a nub at life...no wait no im not lol im a nub at computer programming junk and stuff lol i cant comprehend what AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

im getting that gameinfo.txt error.....lol see i dont even have to do anything it just doesnt like me :p

Angry Lawyer: not if the program crashes at you every time you try and run it... EDIT by the way,do you know where the value for the maximum mass liftable with bare hands is placed?...

Have you got the latest version of Milkshape? Because only recently has it started supporting HL2 models.

I just looked at my work and realised the flincing doesn't work for me either.

Maximum mass is defined somewhere in PickupObject. Search for the following in the code:

Code:
if ( CBasePlayer::CanPickupObject( pObject, 35, 128 ) == false )//if the objects is within the mass limit 35, and size limit 128

It's probably in Hl2_player.cpp.

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer: indeed,so even if we try using multiple zombie models for them to use different skins,still the recompiling (to set the models' referral to the extra skins) will destroy those model animations. I'll try asking for help on Cannonfodder's site and the Vercs,please update me if you understand the trick...

The actual movements in the animations gets destroyed as well, sadly. Takes ages to redo them - Cannonfodder really needs to preserve the LX/LY/LZ in the movement. Other than that, he writes some fantastic tools.

-Angry Lawyer

lol u guys are so smart in this stuff, you ask me to extract a .mdl file and i like melt...lol well....uhh...keep up good work? lol

oh and i think it would be smart to add multiple zombie mdls to substance, as a matter of fact you should also add multiple scanner (1 with the tan and red newwer look, and then the original rusty beat down 1)

and perhaps add new look for the metrocop, 1 with the default, and 1 with the pre-delay...it would certainly make the mod..shall i say...1337-er

lol

i thought that u had just coded it to say that it npc_create npc_combine_S dosnt mean to do the combine but can spawn combine 1,2 and 3 randomly and u just had combine_s2 and that perhaps u should try doing that with the code as if u did i could have 3 combine skins in gm!

sory it seems every time i clik the reply buton [once] it comes up twice cuz my ouse has this stupid double clik

So how is Version 1.2 coming along? Is there any known Release Date as of now?

xdiesp: maybe if gordon can hit with his hands, you can make an action scene befor he gets his suit. that would be cool :)

i dont know if my hunch is true, but doing that correctly would be very hard. Obviously he would have to have a new skin showing hands and not a suit to show when he punches, but then when he gets the game he puts the suit on, and guess what, he still has hands...not gloves AHHHHHHHH!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!

maybe you could do like a gravity gun/super gravity gun thing where its coded in , and it depends on which map to determin the skin for teh hands...which sounds possible, but then another problem,

how would you do a model? you'd hafta figure out how to make a model varient, because a skin of the hevsuit into gordans arms would make him pretty screwed up....he would have like weird muscles and would look deformed.....

wel xdiesp said he could change the hand color depending on what form so maybe start as the civilian form or something and what do u think about my idea with the zombie model

lol i dont know anything about if that would work, if ur talking to me i mean, cause i am hopless as far as coding....or skinning or mapping for that matter...i havent tried modeling...

but of course it helps to have necessary tools such as microsoft visual studio 2003 or whatever...

cool mod, but...

I've played this mod pretty thoroughly and i have to say the weapon models are amazing. I have to say though unfortunately the other aspects of the mod i'm not so fond of. The edited campaign, the different suits and stuff, just didn't raelly click for me. It's very good work though even though it's not my thing, i was wondering if it would be possible to just release a mod that replaced some of the weapon models, the USP and DE mainly.

Back