half life 2 was to be the greatest game....

What aspects of the game have Vivendi changed then?

i dunno, just an irrational fear that the slightest delay will lower the game quality.

not that the game quality will actually be lowered, but our expectations will be so much higher by the time the game comes out because of the hordes of other good games coming out; and u really can't argue that hl2 is the only "good" game out in the market, or to be on the market.

the funny thing is, i feel like i've devoted so much time to hl2
(waiting or investing time on the forums), that i simply wish for the best of things to happen to it. kinda like how every parent feels about their children.

There's an easy way out of this:

Stop focusing so much on it. The time will fly by and it will be out before you know it. :)

lucidrains said:
i'm hoping for a surprise september 30th, pessimism aside.

That the game will go gold and Vivendi will be able to make enough copies in 3 days? That's impossible.

KagePrototype said:
There's an easy way out of this:

Stop focusing so much on it. The time will fly by and it will be out before you know it. :)

Haha thats what i said sept. 30 2003. Time doesnt fly here.

Yes indeed. It is such a messy situation i just want it all to end.

If it doesn't come out November 1st then we know Vivendi have initiated "Operation anal rape". They can just choke Valve. With each passing month the game becomes less and less amazing. Eventually Valve will capitulate and just say "Fine bitch. You can take some profits from steam sales". But Valve won't give in....it's like 2 stubborn children fighting.

But I hope to God Vivendi are simply holding off temporarily to hit the holiday period. Previously i was annoyed at that, but November 1st is looking infinitely better than 6 months away.

There's no evidence that Vivendi are holding it off at all. It hasn't even gone gold yet.

That's right, there's no evidence. I'm just guessing. But if it is released November 1st then it'll prove me correct because Vivendi have been telling retailers that date for a long time now. It must have been their plan all along.

According to that guy on the vugames forums. Average of 4 Rcs, 72 hour testing periods. Currently we're at RC 4 or close to it.

Going by averages and assumptions, it should go gold this week. But that's way too early, they'll hold off a bit longer.

Yea, because the people at VU are homotards who like to see their customers suffer. And you're right, if the keep holdin the game in...when the game comes out, some people will be like "oh, it's HL2...I have Halo 2 and it's probably better" so goodbye Game of the Year awards n stuff.

Vivendi will commit corporate suicide if they hold the game, because they will generate a lot of hatred for themselves if they do.

But they might not care if they are already close to bankruptcy.

Interesting few weeks coming up. :imu:

lucidrains said:
i'm hoping for a surprise september 30th, pessimism aside.

The fact that Valve have asked all magazines reviewing the game to hold off until October 5th leads me to believe they're going to announce or do something September 30th. The game won't be released then of course, but you never know, they may be clearing the decks until the 5th to leave space for an announcement regarding the release candidate being accepted...

After all the negativity surrounding the legal issues between Valve and Vivendi I'm trying to think positive.

We don't actually know what Vivendi is going to do with HL2, so whats the point with this thread?

The point of every thread here. Discussion.

Whether you find it of merit is relative to how you subjectively view such discussion.

Rhalle said:
Vivendi will commit corporate suicide if they hold the game, because they will generate a lot of hatred for themselves if they do.
I hope so too, but I'm afraid that's not how it works :(

I'm not sure whether it actually works like that or not, but surley we are missing something.

It's still going to be an amazing game...but these delays are costing it for sure.

Mr-Fusion said:
. Average of 4 Rcs, 72 hour testing periods. Currently we're at RC 4 or close to it.

Going by averages and assumptions, it should go gold this week. But that's way too early, they'll hold off a bit longer.

I'm not sure about being at candidate 4. VU would have to notify valve of the problem, then valve would have to figure out how to fix the problem, apply the fix and get it to them. I don't think your estimates are taking account of the turnaround time here (or are you?)

lucidrains said:
but vivendi is going to ruin it.

People like you should be forbidden to make threads..

There so much the human eye can take when it comes to bullsh*t..

free speech man, and i can tell u r definitely against it.
at least i don't throw around unjustified insults like u.

Feath said:
There's no evidence that Vivendi are holding it off at all. It hasn't even gone gold yet.
I get the feeling that its the Gold announcement that VUG will hold off.. as they want to minimize public pressure and that will no doubt increase it.

So really we wont know that VUG is stalling untill Valve lets us know that the current RC is not getting rejected or accepted..

Thats my bet.

lucidrains said:

You haven't even said why they would ruin it?

I mean, how could they ruin it? They have little influence over what's in it, beyond bug reports.

maybe vug and valve just made up the lawsuit so they can catch us off guard when they announce the gold and an immediate steam release in the next few days ;p

lucidrains said:

I'm sorry, you're right, but there is so much evidence pointing the other way that these threads are getting ridicilous..

Pcgamer already said: It's even better then we expected.

And they reviewed it!

oh, i'm assuming it would be ruined if it were delayed.

of course, some would say that gameplay is all that is needed to make a game a timeless and classic... but just look at half-life. i would have said the same thing four years ago, but i just played half life a few days ago; it's entertaining, but nonetheless i still selfishly crave for all the embellishments of the graphic technology today.

lucidrains said:
maybe vug and valve just made up the lawsuit so they can catch us off guard when they announce the gold and an immediate steam release in the next few days ;p

And maybe Cows are super-intelligent and talk about quantum physics when we're not looking.

yeah, yeah, it is kind of pointless, now that i really think about it ;p

*closed*

Everything VUG (and Valve for that matter) wants is to make money. There is no way in the world that they will earn more money by delaying it.

Pcgamer already said: It's even better then we expected.

And they reviewed it!

Then you got to ask yourself.. Do you trust PCgamer??
I sure as hell dont... and i dont like their reviews/previews..
They think that every "average" game is like AWESOME..

hmm... sure.. Half-life2 isn't as good looking and all that now..
2003 it was "awesome" in some degree..
2004... is like... it's ok.. (the story will be awesome)...
2005... eh, half-life what?... oh thats right... Industry standard.

The_Monkey said:
Everything VUG (and Valve for that matter) wants is to make money. There is no way in the world that they will earn more money by delaying it.
They may if it means selling other games in the Xmas season, knowing that HL2 fans will buy it whenever it comes out. And they may think its more profitable to sell less copies of HL2 if it somehow helps them win their court case (not sure how that would work tho).

She said:
Then you got to ask yourself.. Do you trust PCgamer??
I sure as hell dont... and i dont like their reviews/previews..
They think that every "average" game is like AWESOME..

hmm... sure.. Half-life2 isn't as good looking and all that now..
2003 it was "awesome" in some degree..
2004... is like... it's ok.. (the story will be awesome)...
2005... eh, half-life what?... oh thats right... Industry standard.

Gameplay doesn't get old. It may not look graphically amazing, but that's no reason to say it's just going to be "okay".

Not many FPS have come close to Half-Life's Gameplay even in the 6 years since it was released.

Not many FPS have come close to Half-Life's Gameplay even in the 6 years since it was released.

You are absolutely right.
i forgot to add gameplay..

But i still think that there will be games in 2005 that are in the same gameplay-level as HL2..

She said:
You are absolutely right.
i forgot to add gameplay..

But i still think that there will be games in 2005 that are in the same gameplay-level as HL2..

like duke nukem forever :bounce: :thumbs: :bounce:

Feath said:
Not many FPS have come close to Half-Life's Gameplay
Red Faction tried,. I remember thinking it was the best Half-Life clone yet,. but still not as good as the original. Though as much as games like System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Far Cry really were amazing games in their own regaurd,.they all were missing something that Half-Life had. It all comes down to a certain philosophy by VALVe, where they tried to make it as little like a game as possible.

I can name one thing Half-Life did one thing that no other game has ever done.. no cutscenese or even loading screens. From begining to end, its one unbroken stream of consciousness.

This philosophy is what makes Half-Life the best game of all time.

As long as HL2 follows in this philosophy, it is going to be right there next to HL1, as not just a game, but a truly innovative interactive experience.

Beat that, "She". :p Industry standard my a$$.

**edit. oh you just meant gfx. feck. worthless rant.

Yellonet said:
If you don't count those little blackouts where it says loading of course :cheese:
It doesnt blackout. It just pauses at a length dependent on the abilitys of your computer. (though it does say "loading...")

Back