Half Life 2 will require online activation

P

perros

Hey,

Sorry if this has already been posted.

An article on 1up.com interviewing Doug Lombardi confirms that even the CD/DVD versions of Half Life 2 will require an internet connection to activate the game.

Quoting Doug Lombardi:
All versions require an Internet connection upon installation to prove the legitimacy of a player's copy. This is for authentication/anti-piracy purposes. Once this has been completed, the owner of either the retail or the Steam version can play Half-Life 2 single player in offline mode.

This makes it the first PC Game that requires online activation.

You can read the article here.

-Perros-

"This is for authentication/anti-piracy purposes."

It's a shame, the very thing they've implemented to prevent piracy actually pushes me to pirate this game.

It's just one-time process during the installation.

What's the big deal?

The big deal is, I can't get access to the internet with my gaming PC.

I've read of other people in the same position and it amazes me that others have trouble comprehending not having home internet access. I'm damn sure not missing out on HL2 either, so what option do I have?

U only need it once to activate it, u dnt need it running constintally to play. this isnt a big deal as most ppl have it anyway

What good is that SinglePlayer-only version of the game then, if you still need to have an internet connection ??

The big deal is, I can't get access to the internet with my gaming PC.

you don't play ANY online games? buy a 56k modem for a tenner, plug it in, take it to a friends house, use a pay as you go free isp (often with no signup) reg the game when you install. switch off, take out modem, throw modem in bin, take back to shop, or just plain keep it... i don't see whats so tough about it.

I don't have the option of a one time connection either, I'm hoping for two things, a verification system that doesn't depend on me connecting from the machine the game is on, or a crack for retail. As long as I can play I'm happy!

KurtCobain said:
this isnt a big deal as most ppl have it anyway

Sure it isn't a big deal to YOU!

Imagine however somebdoy told you you wouldn't be able to play HL2 at all. Full stop. Suddenly it is a big deal!

Aaaah.... now you get it.

Now maybe you understand why I and many others are moaning about the situation, and will resort to getting cracks for the game we want so badly.

There is NO SP only version.

Not having an internet connection on your gaming pc is a little weird , anyways, it's just one-time thing . Most of the people will be able to connrct to the net for a short , one time process.

thescotster19 said:
Sure it isn't a big deal to YOU!

Imagine however somebdoy told you you wouldn't be able to play HL2 at all. Full stop. Suddenly it is a big deal!

Aaaah.... now you get it.

Now maybe you understand why I and many others are moaning about the situation, and will resort to getting cracks for the game we want so badly.

Get a grip u fool,56k modems can cost under 10quid now its that simple, anyway we dnt know Valve's full idea on this subject so untill then its not even worth talking about

I can't be arsed discussing it either. If i need internet I'll get a crack. If I don't whoopee doo.

pk1209 said:
where do you get the crack from if not the internet?

You beat me to it lmao

Where can u download cracks without the internet, if u have the internet to d/l cracks activate the game with it.....foool!!

KurtCobain said:
You beat me to it lmao

Where can u download cracks without the internet, if u have the internet to d/l cracks activate the game with it.....foool!!

Public access internet?

Work?

Either is easier than me getting access with my gaming PC.

do you have a non-gaming pc in your house with access to the internet?

Nope. I have no internet access at all at home. Yes it's a stupid situation but it's fact.

do you have a phone line at least, that would allow dial up access? you may well end up waiting a week or so for a working crack....

Linki said:
Nope. I have no internet access at all at home. Yes it's a stupid situation but it's fact.

No point crying about it... go buy a dialup modem and get online with it... stop complaining... everyone who has a computer should have the internet. It’s like saying yeh I got this kick arse gaming rig!! With this, and that oh but I don’t have a mouse.

So don’t complain.... internet is like second to having a mouse these days... you all sound like crying babies... and I’m sure VALVe think so to... get over it...

for you ppl that have no ability to get the net is a dif story... this reply is to the ppl that couldn’t be bothered to get the internet.... not the ppl who just simply cant full stop... for them well there is always suicide...

coZ said:
No point crying about it... go buy a dialup modem and get online with it... stop complaining... everyone who has a computer should have the internet. It’s like saying yeh I got this kick arse gaming rig!! With this, and that oh but I don’t have a mouse.

So don’t complain.... internet is like second to having a mouse these days... you all sound like crying babies... and I’m sure VALVe think so to... get over it...

for you ppl that have no ability to get the net is a dif story... this reply is to the ppl that couldn’t be bothered to get the internet.... not the ppl who just simply cant full stop... for them well there is always suicide...

The word 'Retard' springs to mind. Can't think why.

Huh? Didn't Gabe state somewhere that this is not true?

Get out of the Stone Age and stop whining, you idiot.

How can you justify owning a computer without internet access? Especially when it's so cheap and easy to get?
And how are you posting here without internet access? How are you downloading cracks without internet access?
STFU and stop BS'ing.

Hey people, if you were to actually READ THE THREAD, you would find out HOW exactly he will be getting the crack and WHY he does not have the internet. Damn, I swear, some of you people in here are so idiotic you shouldn't be allowed to have access to the internet..

MiccyNarc said:
Get out of the Stone Age and stop whining, you idiot.

How can you justify owning a computer without internet access? Especially when it's so cheap and easy to get?
And how are you posting here without internet access? How are you downloading cracks without internet access?
STFU and stop BS'ing.

You're coZ with a different name, aren't you?

You could take your computer over to a friend's house who does have access to the internet...LAN's are always fun...

If it's not a problem with your employer(ie: he's a cool guy and won't mind if you do), then bring your computer into work...

as for the free ISP like Juno or NetZero(owned by the same company), do you not have a phone line in your house? If you do then i'm sure that there is a free ISP that has service in your area.

coZ said:
Except you don't pay subscription or phone fees with a mouse. I don't see why 'everyone who has a computer should have the internet' - it's up to individuals how they choose to spend their money.

DarkSonic said:
Hey people, if you were to actually READ THE THREAD, you would find out HOW exactly he will be getting the crack and WHY he does not have the internet. Damn, I swear, some of you people in here are so idiotic you shouldn't be allowed to have access to the internet..

Where did he explain why he doesn't have it? Anyways even if you can't get it, couldn't you activate it from a friend's house? Still I don't see why people are getting so upset and flaming each other over this. Take a chill pill!

to be honest with you non-internet guys, i would be less worried about activating the game, and more worried about how you intend to patch your game, especially if the state of cs:s is anything to go by....

JFry said:
Where did he explain why he doesn't have it? Anyways even if you can't get it, couldn't you activate it from a friend's house? Still I don't see why people are getting so upset and flaming each other over this. Take a chill pill!

I shouldn't have to explain why.

However, that's a good idea. And one I hadn't thought of. It's an inconvenience but hey.

buy a 56k modem for a tenner, plug it in, take it to a friends house,

However, that's a good idea. And one I hadn't thought of. It's an inconvenience but hey.

i suggested that in my first post!! aren't you reading my wonderful prose?

What the crap...what happened to the guy that said he would put the crack on his mp3 player...? Also, where the poo is the damned edit button?

Back