Half-Life 2 wont work! Help!

No other errors?

Well, I guess there would be no other errors since you're missing the Steam.dll. Have you tried reinstalling yet?

Im not sure if anybody will reply to this thread but I bought HL2 in 2006 and it worked ( i had the 32 bit version of windows xp) and recently that comp took a serious dump so i bout a new one with windows xp x64 edition and reinstalled it and it worked fine on it so i was happy until my RAM went bad (i didnt know it at the time and reinstalled windows and everything) and finnaly i replaced it and i reinstalled HL2 and steam only this time i get the steam.dll message and ive gone through about 100 threads and nothing fixes it ive tried downloading the file only to get another error (steamUI.dll) a reply would be greatly appreciated however i doubt it will come

lol ha ha ha i tried that too and it still says it cant find the steamui.dll file but i think i figured out why it wont work you see im on a network and recently i found out that lime wire wont connect on my hosts comp so i tried mine and it didnt work either so i am pretty sure its a network error however should that fail too ill reply back and find out what needs to be done

Finally a solution for my problem!

HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM: Disable PeerGuardian during installation or allow Steam servers (Valve Software / Limelight Networks LLC) to pass through PG.

Holy necrophillia. This thread is nearly a year old, and no-one said anything about having PeerGuardian installed anyway.

Great first post.

Say what you want Shasta, but this is my first post right here:

I have had steam and half-life2 working for some time under a boot camp installation on my 8 core mac pro. I only ever load it up to play games or use uTorrent.

Welll I installed peer guardian and didn't use steam for a while, so never made the connection as to why, all of a sudden steam was failing. I did a search for "unable to load library steam.dll" and this is one of the threads that came up.

Rocksta's answer about peerguardian is the only one that fixed my problem, out of all the threads I searched.

Awww, are you too banned to bitch about it?

Say what you want Shasta, but this is my first post right here:

I have had steam and half-life2 working for some time under a boot camp installation on my 8 core mac pro. I only ever load it up to play games or use uTorrent.

Welll I installed peer guardian and didn't use steam for a while, so never made the connection as to why, all of a sudden steam was failing. I did a search for "unable to load library steam.dll" and this is one of the threads that came up.

Rocksta's answer about peerguardian is the only one that fixed my problem, out of all the threads I searched.

Awww, are you too banned to bitch about it?

Epic fail. Did mummy not give you pocket money this week?

And with only one post, you have a rather large chip on your shoulder - directed at someone who has been banned and not posted here for quite some time, and never communicated with you, unless of course you have made a new account just to try to revive and win an old "argument". Is that how you intend to win all of your arguments - start them with people that are long gone so they wont disagree with you?

All's I'm saying is

This is just the way I see it:

I had an annoying bug that was keeping me from running steam. I search the interwebs, and the only post that addresses my problem happens to be one that was panned for the very fact that it mentioned peerguardian, which was the very thing that was stopping my installation from running. So I felt that the attack on that guy was unnecessary because at least in one instance, the post was very helpful.

As I am not a big poster (or a big gamer for the fact that it takes up too much time from my work life) sure, i was just addressing one post as I saw it. If it's a huge faux pas to post in a thread that has helped me fix my bug, then I apologize, I won't post here any more, but the way I see it, there was 1 douchebag who panned a guy for posting information that helped me. The least I could do was say that it did such (I had been uninstalling and reinstalling steam for an hour beforehand). I bring up the ban because it seems that Shasta probably crapped on a lot of useful information to get banned.

My solution

PeerGuardian was the culprit in my case. Disabling it fixed it right away.

Back