Half Life movie (Yes, it must be beaten half to death by now)

Toonboom is supposed to be pretty good and rising up after kind of being hidden beneath the popularity of Flash. I've messed around with a trial version and thought it was pretty cool, and my favorite Flash artist is switching over to it as well (He's also got his work sponsered by them).
If anything, I'd probably try to get Toonboom. Just need a tablet...and Wacom apparently can't be beat so I guess I'm saving up for one of theirs.

I got my Grapphire XL years ago. Quite a few, actually. It cost me about ?120 at the time and it was the biggest purchase I had ever made.

I do not regret my choice. Ever.

Way to go, that way you can write the script of your own animated movies and maybe you can make some money out of it... but I don't know if it would be as successful as Red vs. Blue :p

Well, I suggest you write the script. I don't think it will get a "go", but I guess it will be an interesting experience for you anyway ...

But there's several MAJOR stumbling blocks that you should really see in this thread before you even consider the FACT that you will be instantly ignored for being nobody in particular.

This alone says a lot to me. Firstly, anyone can say they can write something better than someone else, but you'll have to be able to prove that. Secondly, the whole statement suggests that you're immature, and inclined to jump on Internet opinion bandwagons because thirdly, you have ZERO understanding of film making. Sure, Uwe Bolls' films are rubbish, and perhaps you CAN write a better script than him, but since he directs the films and other people write them, what exactly do you have to prove, other than the fact that any script you write may just be informed by your own cluelessness?

So you're not just a nobody, but you're a nobody with zero professional profile, who can have never been properly criticized and doesn't know anything about the standards required for surviving on written output?

If you want to be a writer of any kind, you'll need to work on your patience. Getting the kind of break you believe you can get just by asking a game's designer nicely if he'll take you under his wing, will take YEARS and possibly DECADES to achieve. And you can't wait 20 MINUTES for a reply to ramblings that essentially reveal that you're going to go ahead with something you don't have the first clue about?

The thing is, do you really? How can you really be sure that anyone came up with anything as ridiculous as a 'cavalry charge on the back of bullsquids', and that's not just the Half-Life devs making up any old thing to let it be known that they're not happy with Hollywood sending them script proposals that are anything but first rate? And how do you know that there weren't finer details that Valve weren't happy with. Subtle creative differences and rights management issues that shipwrecked the projects?

What you wouldn't do isn't proof of what you CAN do.

Ell Oh F**king Ell.

Forget the fact that you're trying to write a script on a game you haven't played for half a decade (because there really isn't that much you can take from Half-Life anyway, it's perfectly do-able). You think that someone is going to spend millions of dollars on your movie project when you cannot be bothered to spend $15 on buying background research resources.

But you've just told us that a movie of the game shouldn't be about Gordon Freeman, so why do you need to play the games at all?

The problem here is that the Half-Life story is vague, probably moreso than the stories those Game-Movie conversions had. You would need to significantly flesh out the plot, and your changes would ultimately anger more of your audience than you're apparently expecting to.

There is really nothing to say to this. My jaw drops and my brain cells lock up in a silent cacophony of laughter. Common sense and elementary 1+1 logic just commited seppuku, and it was messy.

Money is good, but even if your friend is willing to give you his entire fortune, you have a budget eclipsed by most of the movies you yourself have considered lacking. Which is besides the point anyway, since you're the scriptwriter and one of the smaller cogs in the production machine. Money from some mysterious benefactor will not win over a developer that has rejected the certainty of the Hollywood dollar.

Now that I've pissed on your parade, here's the paint-by-numbers helpful bit. If you're serious about this, it won't happen when you complete a script in a months time. It won't happen in a year's time. It will probably not happen in TEN years time. You want to be better than the dregs of the movie industry that Valve are turning away, but you will never manage that if you have no idea why these people are to be criticized, and if the entire industry that birthed them is alien to you. You need to study film, or creative writing or something, ANYTHING that fills in the gaping chasm of your film-making and writing knowledge, even the apparent void of your basic common sense. Then you have to work up the industry ladders like everyone else does to get to the point where you might one day get in negotiations with a film and a game development studio.

Let us know how that goes.

This post pretty much shot down everything,

Ouch.

Piss all you want, I really don't care. I already understand all the problems that are in my way. It should be quite clear that there's alot I don't know or else I wouldn't be asking anything. Why would I ask if I already knew? So, pointing that out doesn't really do too much for anyone who understands the entire purpose of a question.
Obviously you have had some disappointments in your life and have learned to look at things realistically, but I am still naive as hell and I'm going to continue to enjoy having hopes and dreams.
Also on the comment about creative writing classes...I've been in several. The teachers never taught me anything because they thought I couldn't learn anything from them. Sadly, the really advanced classes they thought would be great for me were too far away for me to reach.
So, if it really makes you feel good, continue pissing away and saying that I shouldn't do this. What's the harm in trying? It's either I waste some time doing what I love (which really isn't a waste to me, but apparently I lack basic common sense. So I could be completely wrong about that.), or I get the .1% chance of being noticed.

And this picked it all back up again.

Ouch.

I think that if you want to, Valve wouldn't do anything to hurt their industry, and it's between you and them anyways, we really have no say in it. If you want to listen to these f*cks then go ahead, but they have no right to tell you that you can't do it. Valve and you make that decision...

As I said, Valve is smart. You have to give them credit, we've heard about all the scripts they turned down, though I doubt this one will be different, you can't piss on him for hoping. Give the bastard a chance. he deserves it as much as the others do.

well good luck, i really dont see it happining but its worth a shot.

Like I've said, there's a very smalllll chance, like a .001% chance, but it'd be a good experience for me. It will improve my writing, give me a better idea at how to write professionally, and will give me the experience to help later on when I'm trying to get myself out there. I only see things to gain, nothing to lose other than a little time.

They can get sued by you if they include in a movie any ideas that you put into your script

Okay for starters kupoartist, Valve can not be sued if KawaiiCuddles has not got a registered copyright and/or business name. After all, the Windows operating system wasn't Bill Gates original work, but he scrounged away with the base code and look at him now. Besides. Valve I'm sure everyone else would agree are not low life's who steal peoples ideas. So even if KawaiiCuddles didn't have a leg to stand on in court if he/she tried suing valve, I'm more then curtain Valve would pay a handsome sum of money if the script was worth investing in.

So you're not just a nobody, but you're a nobody with zero professional profile

Now that I've pissed on your parade, here's the paint-by-numbers helpful bit. If you're serious about this, it won't happen when you complete a script in a months time. It won't happen in a year's time.

Dam, I ain't even gonna quote anymore of this crap. Who do you think you are anyway? Did it ever occur to you KawaiiCuddles might have just been writing a script for half-life partly because he'd enjoy it? Heck, if he's gonna write a script for Half-Life he may as well submit it to Valve. What's it gonna hurt?

Your just putting KawaiiCuddles down, for what reason I don't know why. Your pretty much stamping all over one of KawaiiCuddles dreams as a writer... Your no better then anyone else who tells him he's not good enough and won't make it.

Go for it KawaiiCuddles. Write a script that blows Valve away. Really Believe you can do it and don't give up. Because giving up on your hopes is why people like kupoartist never get anywhere. I know as well as anyone on this forum how small the chances are that Valve willl use your script as a movie, but even though those chances are small, they are still there. Even if you write up this script and nothing happens with it, it doesn't mean no one else will see your work and go 'yeah, thats the guy i want writing my next movie, or comic book, or even a totally new game. So don't be disapointed if this whole escapade turns out a different way then you expect.

Just be glad you achieved it in doing what you set out to do. :)

Your no better then anyone else who tells him he's not good enough and won't make it.

Well, that's because he's not good enough and won't make it :p :naughty:

J/K :LOL:

The important thing is that everybody is aware of the small success chances KawaiiCuddles' project has, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't try it, looks like he's prepared to look at in on the bright side whatever the result.

I have just one piece of advice, don't brag about being a genius writer, let your work speak for you, I'm sure many people here doesn't take you seriously because of that attitude with no background to support it.

It's true that you can find pointer on whatever topic in the Internet, but you gotta be wiser on where to look for that information and how to state your questions. if you only ask "do you people think Valve would take my script?" anybody has the right to say "no, they won't, ever" just because they think that way. I really don't think this is the place to ask for information about how to write a script, even if there are people here who might know about that, but you could have asked for information on where to find guides for that... or you can ask Google. Once you have something you want to show to guys at Valve then you can start looking for contact information, in the meantime you should focus on writing.

Back