Half-Life Multiplayer (Not CS:S)

Well, J Cliff just said that HL2 has no other MP than CS:S....

Oh well, maybe TF2 will make up for it.

I think there is one piece of evidence that shows us there definetely is..
Gabe said in an interview that he played HL2 multiplayer everyday...
Now this was before they began work on CS:S.

Does someone have a link to where Gabe said he plays HL2 mp everyday?

There's a menu screen shot? Do you have a link?

Did anyone ever try e-mailing Gabe or something? Will they reply to a question like that? What was that PC Gamer article about HL2 MP revealed? Did it just show CS:S? If so, I'd say that finalizes the statement of being no original HL2 multiplayer...

If they had this great wonderful MP portion, why wouldnt they tell people? It makes no sense at all.

If they knew they were due to miss an impending release date for this great wonderful game, why wouldn't they tell people? It makes no sense at all.

Heh. If there's one thing I've learnt from Valve, its; to hell with the traditional approach, we're big and famous and we're going to do our own thing, while making you muse as to whether it was all accidental or deliberate.

GorgeousOrifice makes a good point. I suspect "no comment"'s are so ripe on Gabe's part simply because he can't think of a better way to phrase the situation. He gains nothing by denying the existence of a present game component, and he gains nothing by confirming the existence of an absent game component; Valve makes no sense at all, except to Valve and everyone who lives to see the release, whereupon the mysterious logic will probably become clear...

I forget which interview it was................

And dangerousdarrin, i think the menu shot is from e3 2k3, but im just guessing.

I'm pretty sure I've emailed Gabe about whether or not there would be MP based off the HL2 universe included with the game about 7 times. No response.

I'll try again....now.

OK, let's look at the very end of the interview between CS-Nation and Cliffe...

CS-Nation: Moving to the final release, how will CS: Source be distributed? Will it be available exclusively to Half-Life 2 owners?

cliffe: Counter-Strike: Source will be included with all versions of Half-Life 2. However, we will also make it available as a stand alone purchase for those who'd prefer to purchase CS:S a la carte.

CS-Nation: Is CS: Source the only multiplayer game shipping with Half-Life 2?
cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2.

Now, see the answer that contains the quote, "Counter-Strike: Source will be included with all versions of Half-Life 2."
Think about it, there's what, 3 versions coming out yeah? So that means that the SP version will contain CS:S, the SP/MP version will *also include* CS:S, and the Collectors Edition will contain CS:S. Again, think about it...

Ah Ha! But what about the, "Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2" answer at the end of the interview? Well, that threw me off for a second, until I realised that he was talking about other source ports like TFC etc.

Take it as you may, but I reckon there's definitely a HL2 MP and it ain't CS:Source.

Exactly^^^^
I was guessing that people who believed that HL2 would ship with CS as the only multiplayer portion read that section and took it the wrong way. Notice they said MULTIPLAYER GAMES.

I was hopeing they'd do something new and cool for HL2 multiplayer.. I mean why give up the opportunity to make a multiplayer part based on HL2 content?

There will surely be an MP portion of the game (not that i really care much about it YET), they have always kept it secret and I think that Gabe and all the guys at Valve must have already laughed their asses of to death about the continous threads stating wether or not there's an mp part. Let hope there is one and move on with our lives until proven wrong. There's no need for one thread like this every day. But hell they will be posted anyways so better to ignore them.

Kon said:
I was hopeing they'd do something new and cool for HL2 multiplayer.. I mean why give up the opportunity to make a multiplayer part based on HL2 content?

Probably because
A) They already own the most popular online action games in the world, which have to be ported to Source regardless.
B) They're already a year late with their game and you're asking them to add more?!?
C) Two weeks after release there will be a dozen HL2DM mods available for download.
D) The online action market is already oversaturated, producing another online action game would be essentially competing with their own properties.

I want to see a "Catch the Snark" mode. You chase down the snark, if you do manage to touch it you explode and then become the snark and evade everyone.

The latest e-mail in the Valve info thread seems to indicate that CS:S will indeed be the only multiplayer game shipped with HL2. Rest assured though, that if it's true, there will soon be many HL2 deathmatch-type mods with the HL2 weapons.

Sparta said:
When CS:Source start development?
Not sure but the leak of HL2 which also had a very early CS:S version was at least 6 months older than what was shown at E3 last year. So i guess they've been working on it between 1 and 2 years.

WaterMelon34 said:
VALVe said they had a surprise for us on the MP of HL2 and I don't think CS:S was the surprise... They wouldn't tell us, unless they were so excited they couldn't hold in the secret.

Gabe wanted to "surprise" the world with the cs:s, and thought people would actually for the good graphics and physics - unfortunately like all valve's marketing strategies - this one failed miserably (at least IMO).

thefiznut said:
Naughty Shuzer.. HL2 will have multiplayer of it's own. Trust me on that one.

Valve wouldn't forget that. There's just no way.

It just won't. Can't you guys just accept the fact? you know valve tries to be "diffferent", so having no MP for them is perfectly normal. HL2 will have no MP, so just stop saying it again and again just to comfort your own self - it just won't. Mark my words. You'll just get cs:s.

Guys... you'll get your HL2 multiplayer, but not at release..... OKAY?!

Wait I might have proof! Seriously! Gabe said a long time ago (back in 2003) that he loved the multiplayer and played a lot as they developed it, but it was stated the they were only working on Cs:S since January 2004! Meening he must have been talking about something else unless he was just making it up (which i doubt)

Mr-Fusion said:
Not sure but the leak of HL2 which also had a very early CS:S version was at least 6 months older than what was shown at E3 last year. So i guess they've been working on it between 1 and 2 years.

Work on CS:S started in january.

maby it was TF2.. and not CS:S *tumdum!!!*

Cyber$nake said:
Wait I might have proof! Seriously! Gabe said a long time ago (back in 2003) that he loved the multiplayer and played a lot as they developed it, but it was stated the they were only working on Cs:S since January 2004! Meening he must have been talking about something else unless he was just making it up (which i doubt)

That's exactly what hints us that IT IS in fact cs:s. Gabe still lives in 1999 - 2001 the time when we all loved cs and when there weren't any 9-year old kiddies in the cs community. So for all we would know, Gabe loves to play counterstrike 1.6 (back in 2003), and he knows many people already love it so with a graphical overhaul they'll love it even more.

It seamed like he was talking about the "new" multiplayer, which couldnt be Cs:s since it started i January, but who knows, maybe your right. (Of course he has to say one thing and mean another :))

Cyber$nake said:
It seamed like he was talking about the "new" multiplayer, which couldnt be Cs:s since it started i January, but who knows, maybe your right. (Of course he has to say one thing and mean another :))

That's exactly what I stated: Gabe plays HL2's multiplayer in 2003 and knows the community will love it. So it's prolly cs 1.6 and the community also likes it (according to him - well some of us still like it) and Gabe knows that when ported to source in January 2004 it will be liked even more.

They have kept HL2 in the dark for 5 years wich made the gamingworld stunned with suprise and hype when they lifted the veil when the gamingworld didn't expect it.. I am sure they can do the same to the MP aspect to give the competition like DOOM³ a final blow

Here's from Valve info thread

From the valve crew at E3:
When asked if CS would be the ONLY multiplayer for HL2, gabe told me that they would port over EVERYTHING (hl deathmatch, deathmatch classic, dod, cs, etc. Don't know if this includes ricochet, or tfc/tf2)

have heard a few conflicting reports about this: Is the only
multiplayer for Half-Life 2 Counter-Strike Source?

The Source engine contains support for multiplayer gaming, and Valve
plans to release several multiplayer games at the time HL2 is made
available.

see CS:S Isn't going to be the only multiplayer aspect that comes with HL2

FoB_Ed said:
Here's from Valve info thread

see CS:S Isn't going to be the only multiplayer aspect that comes with HL2
This has nothing to do with the topic we are discussing (HL² Themed Multiplayer - with snarks, headcrabs, combine soldiers, striders and the works.) We already knew there will be other MP (Source port) games that will be made available after HL² is released for HL²

We already knew that...

DOD source and TFC source too :hmph:

EVIL said:
They have kept HL2 in the dark for 5 years wich made the gamingworld stunned with suprise and hype when they lifted the veil when the gamingworld didn't expect it.. I am sure they can do the same to the MP aspect to give the competition like DOOM³ a final blow

Yeah, but Cliffe would never lie to the community. The statement is as defiant as possible:

"Cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2."

Although, I really really hope valve is lieing about this one - I want a "Blows away the competiton" style MP. Cs:s is good - but not exactly what I want after 2 years (not including development as we didn't know about HL2 till last year) of waiting.

can you read.. let me explain to you what the man is saying.. he says that "there will be no other multiplayer "GAMES" with Half Life 2" CS:S is a Game.. Like a MOD It means that only CS:S will be included with the release of HL² .. He does not say that there will be no other multiplayer FEATURES besides CS:S

There will be many more MP GAMES released for Half Life² AFTER its released, Like DOD HL:S (with HL1 SP and MP).

I cant find anything in his comment that says that there won't be a Half Life 2 Themed Multiplayer Feature included in Half Life²

lans said:
Yeah, but Cliffe would never lie to the community. The statement is as defiant as possible:

"Cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2."

He says HL2 will come together with CS:S, that says nothing about what's in HL2 itself, for all we know there could be a multiplayer version of Tetris.

So it could be HL2 SP + CS:S or HL2 SP + HL2 MP + CS:S

Now I'm not saying I'm certain there will be a HL2 MP, but this statement says nothing about it really.

McFly said:
First of all, I would like to say that Im new to these boards, so dont flame me for voicing something that may have already been voiced in spammed portions. www.gamefaqs.com isnt that good of a board nowadays.

Now, onto the topic....

So far, there is pretty much one thing that has been left out of all previews and interviews. This, of course, is HL-2's multiplayer content.
Im not talking about mods or CS. It is already confirmed that CS:S will be included free with HL-2, but we have yet to hear anything about HL-2's actualy multiplayer content. We know it has one, since we have seen it on the main menu of HL-2 in a screenshot, but we have heard nothing from Gabe.
My question is: What would you like to see and what information do you have on it?

I would like it to similar to HL-1, including a DM, but I would also like to see CTF games which take full advantage of the vehicles included in the game. It would be nice to see CTF games on the scale of UT2k4 and Halo.

Voice your opinions.

where exactly did you get a picture of the main menu, i've never seen it?!

Back