Half-Life Multiplayer (Not CS:S)

So, most definitely on HL2 launch the only MP component will be CSS and CS'ers are happy. Later they will sell TF2 separately and DM'ers are happy.
I understand the fact that they don't have unlimited amount of coders, artists and other whatevers to work on stuff, but what I DON'T understand is why they chose CS for the first Source game (yeah I know it's popular). I mean, Counter-Strike is a game that requires physics the least of all games for gods sake. A lot of mappers would be happy if they could make crazy maps using the physics excessively, but the 'restrictions' of CS just don't allow it. Maybe they leave that for the SvenCoop team or something blah blah.
Just Wait And See (tm)

The more I think of it, the more clever it seems. They have practically guaranteed HL2s success, by making a game that appeals to the uncultured masses as well as the veteran gamers :D

I hope there will be MP, or I would be really mad:(

Jesus God i don't think you have too much to worry about. These threads are beginning to suck real bad, rehashing of old topics lightly dusted with the antagonism of age.

Go post something interesting in the off-topic forum and leave the HL2 discussion for something worth talking about.

Rupertvdb said:
Jesus God i don't think you have too much to worry about. These threads are beginning to suck real bad, rehashing of old topics lightly dusted with the antagonism of age.

Go post something interesting in the off-topic forum and leave the HL2 discussion for something worth talking about.
No reason to flame everyone for it...

Rupertvdb said:

Don' read them if you think they suck :rolleyes: , there is no sign saying Rupertvdb READ THIS TOPIC..

HL2 will definately have it's own MP. It's true because I say so.

These forums are starting to suck in general :(

OK! Post of refinement!

HALF-LIFE 2 WILL INCLUDE ITS OWN MULTIPLAYER!

Gabe himself even stated that! Gabe! Not some random employee or publisher who doesnt even work on the game.

They couldnt release the CS:S as the only multiplayer and survive. Only 1 map so far?

What video game companies do is split their resources. They have a large group of people work on SP, the main coding, all the models and stuff, and when that is done, they send it to a smaller team of multiplayer design artists, where they begin to develope multiplayer, while other parts of the game are finished.
So you people cant say "OMG WTF Valve cant make a HL2 Multi because they have their hands full, theres no time!"
Well yes they can, chances are it has been done for a while.

If I had been the one in the know, the developer trying to keep the secret multiplayer part of a big gameproject secret..
If I had been, and had had to face the constant barrage of questions from this huge community, "we'll see what we can get done" would definately be on my list of fitting understatements..

Like all of you, I can only hope.
Speculations and "who said what, when" is fun for a while, but take a trip outside and enjoy the summer. By the time you're fed up with playing HL2, it will be cold and dark outside. :rolling:

triple_w said:
If I had been the one in the know, the developer trying to keep the secret multiplayer part of a big gameproject secret..
If I had been, and had had to face the constant barrage of questions from this huge community, "we'll see what we can get done" would definately be on my list of fitting understatements..

Like all of you, I can only hope.
Speculations and "who said what, when" is fun for a while, but take a trip outside and enjoy the summer. By the time you're fed up with playing HL2, it will be cold and dark outside. :rolling:

By the time I'm "fed up" with HL2, is the time when the mods start rolling out *yipee!*

Oh ye of little faith :D

There is another statement. Remember Merc, the guy who went to Valve a while back? He said that vALVE guys would *kill* him if he said anything about multiplayer.

One way to interpret that is, of course, to say that Merc found out that there is no multiplayer component, and I can see why that would qualify as a big secret, definitely. We would be up in arms and imagine all the hate mail and whining; vALVE has enough stress as it is.

Another way to interpret this is that they have something really interesting up their sleeve. I am inclined to think that.

It would be nice if Merc indicated a yes or no. But that may lead to Black Ops girls visiting his house that very night.

Stan R.

Shuzer said:
Yes, we know this. But that's the ONLY statement we've EVER heard on multiplayer, sadly :(

stanr said:

There is another statement. Remember Merc, the guy who went to Valve a while back? He said that vALVE guys would *kill* him if he said anything about multiplayer.

One way to interpret that is, of course, to say that Merc found out that there is no multiplayer component, and I can see why that would qualify as a big secret, definitely. We would be up in arms and HL2 would be delayed yet another year :)

Another way to interpret this is that they have something really interesting up their sleeve. I am inclined to think that.

Stan R.

I sincerely doubt that Valve would show anything about HL2's MP to Merc, let alone tell him that they had nothing..

Coomer: "Hey, pssst..merc, come over here"
merc: "omg liek hi"
Coomer: "wanna hear a secret?"
merc: "yeaho"
Coomer: "We don't have a HL2 MP"
merc: "wow kewl!"
Coomer: "it's a secret, don't tell anyone, not six three, and especialy not gabe!"
Coomer + merc: *evil laughing*

McFly said:
OK! Post of refinement!

HALF-LIFE 2 WILL INCLUDE ITS OWN MULTIPLAYER!

Gabe himself even stated that! Gabe! Not some random employee or publisher who doesnt even work on the game.

where is your source?

Whoops! My mistake. His remark was regarding TF2.

Here's the link:

[Clicky]

I guess Shuzer's right (as usual), we have no info about HL2 multiplayer.
Unless you want to assume TF2 is HL2 multiplayer. Which would be in line with some old, but intriguing news regarding TF2 having aliens in it (I used to be active in the TF community).

Hmm....would be interesting if TF2 was about the revolution taking place:
humans VS the combine... Finally, a chance to pilot a Strider...

Stan R.

Six Three said:
I sincerely doubt that Valve would show anything about HL2's MP to Merc, let alone tell him that they had nothing..

Coomer: "Hey, pssst..merc, come over here"
merc: "omg liek hi"
Coomer: "wanna hear a secret?"
merc: "yeaho"
Coomer: "We don't have a HL2 MP"
merc: "wow kewl!"
Coomer: "it's a secret, don't tell anyone, not six three, and especialy not gabe!"
Coomer + merc: *evil laughing*

I don't know if this has been posted already, but here's a quote from a recent (July 16th) csnation interview with Jess Cliffe:
http://www.csnation.net/articles.php/192/

CS-Nation: Is CS: Source the only multiplayer game shipping with Half-Life 2?

cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2.

While there's still hope for other non CS:S multiplayer, sounds like there isn't any "big multiplayer secret", unless they plan on releasing it via steam later on.

And YamatoTwinkie, weve already talked about that several times. They say "Multiplayer Games", as in games that are only multiplayer, TFC2, DOD, Etc.
Hl2 includes a multiplayer portion, its not a seperate game.

EVIL said:
can you read.. let me explain to you what the man is saying.. he says that "there will be no other multiplayer "GAMES" with Half Life 2" CS:S is a Game.. Like a MOD It means that only CS:S will be included with the release of HL² .. He does not say that there will be no other multiplayer FEATURES besides CS:S

There will be many more MP GAMES released for Half Life² AFTER its released, Like DOD HL:S (with HL1 SP and MP).

I cant find anything in his comment that says that there won't be a Half Life 2 Themed Multiplayer Feature included in Half Life²

Valve is not only being vague but they are being true. CS:S comes with HL2...that's been confirmed. TF2 won't come with it. Work will continue on that until release. No other mods/games like dod:s or tfc:s will come with HL2 either, that's to much to offer in a box going for $50-60 bucks. Terrible profiting. I really dont think we will be seeing a normal DM/CTF mode for awhile, so yeah CS:S is probably the only thing coming with HL2.

stanr said:

You rehashed that statement like crazy. What was said was this

"When I asked about TF2 they said... "They'll kill me if i talk about it"

edit: sorry, saw your post at the top of the page :)

Valve really don't need to worry about the multiplayer too much, especially with CS:S's popularity and all the mods out there, which will all take their own spin on HL2 deathmatch. If they knocked up a simple Deathmatch though, it'd be damn good fun once everyones played through the single player abit.

With everyone being so sure of themselves, I'm sorry, but I'm going to laugh when/if HL2 come out with only CS:S as the multiplayer.

You guys dont understand that it will have multiplayer! CS is a seperate Gabe. Valve knows that not everyone likes CS! Think with common sense isntead of what proof you have that came from interviews.

Would they really release a game without multiplayer? People who havent played CS before would go wtf is this ! I will bet you all anything that it will have its own multiplayer.

WHy would they even say they were releasing a retail version of SP and a different version with SP and MP.

Indeed. Given the price difference there'll be between the complete version and the sp one, it'd be outrageous for the mp to only be CSS. Not many people would pay that much for a 5-6 yr-old game, and might just get the sp version. If it were just a couple of bucks, why even bother making two versions?

Unless they intend to charge you for the ability to play fan-made mods with which they'd have nothing to do with. Ridiculous.

I also believe there will be own multiplayer for HL2. It would be total waste of the Half-Life 2 theme if you couldn't use for example the Manipulator or the grenades that smell like alien crap or whatever in multiplayer.

Neutrino said:
With everyone being so sure of themselves, I'm sorry, but I'm going to laugh when/if HL2 come out with only CS:S as the multiplayer.
yea that will be funny hahahahaah ah humm :upstare:

Either

1) They'll surprise us with an amazing MP
2) They don't want to tell us for sure that there is no MP so they don't lose any $$$

Seppo said:
I also believe there will be own multiplayer for HL2. It would be total waste of the Half-Life 2 theme if you couldn't use for example the Manipulator or the grenades that smell like alien crap or whatever in multiplayer.

Don't count on the manipulator to be included in HL 2 mp anyways (if it has mp). In this email Yahn states its very hard to make it work in mp.

Diablo2k said:
Don't count on the manipulator to be included in HL 2 mp anyways (if it has mp). In this email Yahn states its very hard to make it work in mp.

Yeah, I remembered Valve had stated something like that, but maybe he's just speculating so we wouldn't get our hopes up. I hope they get it work properly, but if it's not included in the MP it's not the end of the world.

Back