Half Life rated 2nd Scariest game of all time.

Reaction score
I bought motor city online a while back, and with it I got a free subscription to GamePro magazine. I wouldnt read the magazine otherwise, but it comes in the mail for free so I read em. lol. Anyways. HL (the original) was rated #2 on a top 10 list of scariest games. Personally I didnt think it was that scary. But its cool to see the good old game making another list. :) Number one game was Resident Evil. Just thought I'd let you all know.

you guys played the new call of duty demo? (lol i know that was way off topic) but it is really awesome...like when u get blown to the ground, everything is blurry and the sound is quiet but then it gets loud and its like OMG WTF OMGFTGUOPMGWTROFLMAO!!!??!!

Well, Resident Evil was admittedly the only game that made me jump out of my skin. Half-Life... I wouldn't say it was scary as in the same way Resi Evil scared me. But there's certainly that feeling... That feeling that you are Gordon Freeman and that you are in danger.

EDIT: creationist, you could have at least attempted to post something on topic rather than spamming :rolleyes:

I think Hl2 is going be quite the spooky title this year. Some jerk on IRC wanted me to hear a file clip and uploaded it. I listened to it, it has to be one of the creapiest music clips I've ever heard. Turns out it was from Hl2. I wouldn't be calling him a jerk if it wasn't illegal, but it is, and he ruined the surprise.

-Ghost.

Creationist couldnt you have made a new topic in the "Off Topic" section? Thats not too hard. PM me and I'll tell you exactly how to do it.

call of duty.......Scary? :sniper: <--me :imu: <-- you (call of duty is good but not scary)

He wasnt even talking about COD in relation to my topic, he just felt like blurting out how impressed he was by the demo....

sorry guys that was my friend, i came back from the bathroom and he is sitting at the comp laughing...not funny..

i doubt many of you have played or heard of System Shock 2, but that by far is the most scariest game ever. resident evil type games go for the shock factor, as does HL. at any point do you actually feel like you're about to soil your pants? are you afraid to go into the next area for fear of what you'll see? System Shock 2 is the only game that has made me physically scared to the bone. the sound, the graphics, the AI, everything works.

resident evil wasn't really scary in my opinion, just shocking. try and dig up a copy of SS2 and see what you think.

I've heard alot of good things about SS2 and none bad. I've been hearing about it for years but I've never been able to find it anywhere.

I'd love to play it. But I know it's not new and I wonder does everyone love it in hindsight or would it still be as good today?

Oh God, thanks for bringing up System Shock 2. That was one of the scariest games I ever played, and very difficult if I remember correctly. Actually it was THE scariest game I ever played, Silent Hill is second. Although HL2 is shaping up to be mighty creepy in some parts and downright scary in others.

I agree with you 100% Dedalus. System Shock 2 deserves to be at the top of that list.

if you're gonna play SS2 try to avoid any spoilers etc. i'm sure you can find a copy on ebay or on amazon, or even post a little ad in the classifieds section of a paper.

it's really worth a go, but be careful to tip-toe around the hype.

There is no way that HL is 2nd most scariest game ever. Just no way.

I have to agree - System Shock 2 is the only scary game i've ever played. HL was great but not scary in the slightest.

System Shock 3 would excite me more than HL2 and Deus Ex 2 put together :) Alas it will never be :/

ok guys I got the list. GamePro magazine rates the top 10 games in the following order.

10 : Sanitarium
9 : Doom II
8 : Alone in the Dark
7 : Silent Hill 3
6 : Silent Hill
5 : Silent Hill 2
4 : Eternal Darkness
3 : Fatal Frame
2 : Half Life
1 : Resident Evil

There you have it. :) . I cant believe System Shock 2 is missing from this list. Hmm

sounds like a console jockeys list. System shock 2 is definitely the scariest (I guess it never got a console port)

Nope. LookingGlass Studios, the company that made the SS and Thief series, went out of business. ;(

Speaking of Thief, I almost shat my pants on more than one occasion playing Thief. I loved that game...

Alone in the dark, original fear baby
I shat myself when the blob jumped through the box and gurgled. (actually it was supposed to be a monster jumping through a window when you went for a key... but the gfx are astoundingly bad by today's standards.. back then it was the shit)

none of the silent hills were scary
resident evil two had one part that "scared me" as in made me jump... then those zombies reached out through the wall at you in the beginning of the station (well a lil in past the licker)
Half life wasnt scary at all... well headcrabs were sometimes placed strategically that you had your flashlight on 24/7.. when it burned out in a vent and you hear "skree" "clink, shum clink clink" of a headcrab following you in the ducts it was great fun.

from what I have seen from hl2 the headcrabs alone are going to make you shit your pants.... omg

HL wasn't scary at all!!

Yeah what about SS2, alone in the dark and silent hill? stupid fgts..

hmm...

the one mission in Halo was pretty creepy...though that needs no further explaination. (only that one mission though)

WHeel of Time...second mission in Shadar Logath...now, if you read the books first, that level is about 5 times as creepy, you just play it, and its simular to SS2...same with the Ways mission, if you never read the books, you WILL die. there is something in the ways...an evil...muaha! its the wind, there IS no wind in the ways, and then you hear a breeze, your kinda thankful because there hadn't been any ambient sound that level, pure scilence...if you never read the book anyway...if you read the book you KNOW there is no wind...and you turn around to see this huge mass of..evil...heading right at you. THAT will make you RUN! :)

SS2 is definately scary...I heard its available at the underdogs now, its been dead that long. :(

System Shock 2 should be #1 and after that undying or AVP2

SS2 was so scary I just stopped playing and I'm not sure if I want to start it over again.

Yeah, I got that gamepro, and resident evil has never scared me, no matter how I try and play it, neither did half-life
infact the only game that has I think was Silent Hill 2/3 a couple of times

HL wasnt really scary but you got some bad vibes from it (by bad I mean good). If you play it in a quiet room you really feel like your alone and the world outside could bite you, and when your in those dark ventilation tunnels you get scared shitless when a headcrab comes outa nowhere. Its just a little creepy how immersed you can get

Originally posted by creationist
you guys played the new call of duty demo? (lol i know that was way off topic) but it is really awesome...like when u get blown to the ground, everything is blurry and the sound is quiet but then it gets loud and its like OMG WTF OMGFTGUOPMGWTROFLMAO!!!??!!

yes man i have played Both demos of call of duty LOADS of times!

making movies for it at the moment :)

But keeping to topic.

HL was scary and so realistic at the time i jumped everytime a Headcrab even jumped me! LOL

Silent Hill, the first one, is the creepiest game ever. The only game I find scary. Resident Evil isn't scary at all.

HL1 wasn't scary, dunno about HL2 yet, too early to tell

ss2 was so freaky that I almost didn't want to play it. I got all the way to the last boss, but I didn't ever beat it.

Anyone think Thief was scary? I just keep thinking about Down in the Bonehoard - one of the scariest levels in any game. The music gave me the creeps alone.

Originally posted by GhostValkyrie
I think Hl2 is going be quite the spooky title this year.-Ghost.

*cough* this year? *cough*

DOH I FORGOT!
how could I

Clive Barker's Undying
that was an excellent game, I wouldnt say it was scary perse, but it was very well crafted

Another scary game was Space CHannel 5 Dreamcast. Along with Chu Chu Rocket, and Toy Commander. LOL. Scary how someone actually approved to produce those games. :D

I dont know what ur talking about... I've played half-life in the dark.... with headphones (cause it was like 1am).... and man oh man u get up in the office level or something... and a slave / zombie / headcrap pops out from around a corner... i can honestly say i've fallen off my seat cause i just wasn't ready for it.... Half-Life IS a scary scary game...

HL2 will be scary as hell, I know it.

But it'll be fun

System Shock 2 isn't only the scariest game ever made, but also the best, imo.

SS2 forever!

Resident evil is pretty scary but as as far as creepy factor Silent hill 2 takes the cake. I can't play silent hill 2 at night because it's too creepy. Now resident evil i can play anytime.

Re: scary stuff

Originally posted by denzelr
You guys like scary/creepy stuff?
http://www.drukqs.net/
Click that link and the click launch video and follow the instructions.
It's short but effective.
wtf is that lol jsut some guy with a big head muttering stuff?

Back