Half life ... THE MOVIE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sfc_hoot said:
A firstperson movie? :cool:

Doom will be out in theatres in a year .. i think.. Some parts of the film is being made in the firstperson angle.. :cheers:

But anyways... MAKE A FREAKING HL MOVIE it would be soo sweet :eek: :imu:

Get back to mechanima. It's more viable, and would be awesome. I wish Red vs Blue would take note of HL2, though...

if they made the movie, it would be for people that dont know what half-life is... so as a "fan" of "halflifethemovie" it would SUCK !.. Something else is the length of the story... (for example) "Jurrasic Park" and the Jurassic Park book, the book is too long so they left out bits in the movie, just like they would in HL²themovie (or HL 1 themovie), they have to tell the WHOLE story in 90 minutes.. it would screw HL up SOO much !

if there was such a movie itd have to be after all the half lifes were done
u no

It will either piss off the hardcore fans of game, or piss off everyone else. Personally, I hope that it pisses off the hardcore fans, because that way the movie would be good. I dont really care how accurate the movie would be, as long as its good.

If there was a movie, would it be animated or would they hire actors that look like the HL2 characters? They'd have to really get a Gordon actor because it it was 1st person that would be pretty crap. Anyway, I think a HL movie is a bad idea.

Ennui said:
That was in The Final Hours of Half-Life 2.

I think it'd be cool but only if it was made RIGHT; if Valve supervised, I have no doubt that it would be great.

Resident Evil was a crappy movie but the chick was hot (same with RE:A, the girl who played Jill Valentine was pretty damn sexeh!)

Which chick? I though the blonde was fairly ugly, but Michelle Rodriguez (Black hair and played the woman that was zombified at the end) was well fit :naughty:

quite simply.. who needs a movie..? the game is 100X better than any movie in itself, it would spoil HL totally, Im with valve.

My Idea:

A Half-Life movie with the concept of PULP FICTION!!! :) :D

Think about it. We have so many characters that each have seperate STORIES to tell in Black Mesa.

We break up the episodes accordingly and throw in all the characters with good stories (i.e. Gordon, Barney, Adrian, etc.). What made the expansions so good was the way they intertwined with the original storyline. If the movie did the same...

We could start out with the Tram sequence up until the accident, when Gordon is teleported to Xen. Que the title "Half-Life" on the screen. Next we follow Barney's story for a bit until he gets himself in a cliffhanger scenario. Then we switch back to another character (Adrian perhaps, or back to Gordon again).

We keep alternating characters to keep things interesting, and advance the plot. And each character finds his(/her?) own clues as to why the accident happened. That way it allows the audience to piece things together and develop the conspiracies. It would also be neat if when they switched to first-person view for a couple of seconds, we would be able to spot the G-man in the background. <- this could be another gimmick to keep the crowd engaged in the movie (a kind of Where's Waldo with the G-man :LOL: )

And each character could have their own methods of solving puzzles (a la the Limony Snicket children). Gordon relies on science (physics :p), Adrian relies on brute force, and Barney relies on dumb luck (for instance). It would then make every character interesting, and memorable.

The last sequence may be Gordon taking out Nihalanth, and then as the credits role on the screen, the G-man gives his speech(es), and the door is essentially left open for a sequel.

Waht we need to do now is come up with the chapters (from the expansions too) that are essential to tell. Like Gordon in the test chamber, blast pit, rocket test labs, lambda core, etc. Each segment would have to be at most 15 minutes if we were to fill them all in, but it can be done.

:)

I'm currently putting everthing I have towards a career in film and I study them morning, noon and night (when I'm not playing HL2 ;)) and all I can say is that computer game adaptations rarely go well. From the utter crap (Super Mario Brothers) to the mediocre (Resident Evil) they are often shunned by critics and the general non-gameplaying public alike. However, often the directors who take up such projects are keen on high-octane thrills and often create a film not worthy. If I had my choice director for a game-film tie-in, it would be James Cameron. He can always provide action-heavy films yet still retain the dignity of the film...So, in conclusion, making a Half Life movie, could be a risky project and you wouldn't want to dissapoint the fanboys by having Orlando Bloom's mug or Johnny Depp's voice ruining the identity of Gordon. However, in the right hands, it could be a masterpiece.

i acually enjoyed the origonal RE movie alot, i dont know why everyone hates it so much.

The sequel was utter crap though

As long as uwe boll doesnt make it :D

Everything that man touches turns into something I'd rather shove up my ass than watching.

If HL did become a movie I would want it to become an anime movie as that would be so much cooler.

No Half-Life movie, please. Seeing as how most game-to-movie transitions suck and that it would completely go against the way Gordon is designed, I'd say it would be a bad idea. God knows it could also go down the route the Doom movie has, in that they'd rip out everything that actually makes Half-Life what it is.

Now, a film that just takes place in the Half-Life universe is something I could perhaps find more acceptable.

again, why would the movie have to be about gordon? Gordon dosen't have to be in the movie at all. The only way I would like to even see gordon in the movie is as some kind of flashback to past events or some other scene that would not involve gordon talking.

LOL, sorry I just remembered an "Orange Film Commision" advert. Patrick Swayzy (I can't spell his name) wants to make a movie called the "Silent Hunter". Somebody turns around and says silence is not mobile phones and say "Why don't we change it to the chatty hunter".

Patrick doesn't agree but the main chairman guy turns around and says "Well, maybe if you talk about your problems, you proberbly wouldn't want to kill everybody"

where's Uwe Boll when you need him... oh yea, RUINING EVERY FRANCHISE IN EXISTENCE! Sorry, but I really hate that guy and his "work".

I saw a russian movie called "Brat 2" that had a cool first person scene of the main character clearing out a building with an uzi. Has anyone else seen this movie?

It was different and in that movie it worked very well.

Takaitokuten said:
where's Uwe Boll when you need him... oh yea, RUINING EVERY FRANCHISE IN EXISTENCE! Sorry, but I really hate that guy and his "work".

I think everyone does. Nodoby like's him, and with good reason

It's not like the HL movie would follow gordon around everywhere and do everything he did in hl1 and hl2. I don't think there should be a movie, though, as I really can't see it happening. Hl2 is a game first and foremost, a spectacular one. I actually don't prefer the setting / story, either; it'd be too much of a bore to actually watch it.

But what do I know. I didn't think bodyguard movies could ever be good, but then I watched Man on Fire. Game over for my opinion.

I highly doubt Valve would sell the rights to HL1 and 2 to a movie producer,

If they made a hlaf life movie they should call it "Freeman under fire" anything with fire in the title has GOT to be good lol.

I sincerely hope Valve keeps HL out of Hollywood. The only exception I'd make to this is if Steven Spielberg directed it, and Johnny Depp was cast as Gordon.

If this can't be done, then don't bother. :|

With the number of exclamation points, I thought it was announced. Phew.

If you are unsure about whether HL should be made in to a movie, think of one game-to-movie adaption that actually worked...

half life should remain a game, thats the medium for telling their story

I wouldn't mind a half-life movie just as long as they don't use any of the characters currently in the storyline but a new set of characters set it the half-life world. The only reason that most movies based on games suk is becuz the director/screenwriters don't really understand the games. Either they've never played them or they just lose focus of what makes the games great.

I'm confident that Marc Laidlaw and the rest of Vavle would be very involved in the creation of the movie.....they are an extremly talented bunch so I have no doubt the movie would be great. And lets face it, whether or not you think the movie will suck I'm pretty sure we would all gladly pay the $10 to go see it, and thats really the only point :imu:

I know who would sponser the HL movie. The Orange film commision wouldn't mind sponsering, but with only one catch. They would have to change the Lambda Logo with that of the Orange Logo :p

Samon said:
I really, really hope that there is no half life movie. It would quite frankly ruin the franchise, unless it was pulled of superbly. Which i doubt.

Name a videogame to movie thats at least "Good"
friggen star wars

The idea of a Half-Life movie doesn't sound too well for me but I would like to see the story and world in film sometime. Seriously sitting in a darkened theater for hours watching a live action film with a guy in a flashy suit battling aliens in gunfights would be boring and contrived. It's just been done too many times.

It would be better if it were a TV show instead. This way we can keep auidence's attention and give them breaks. Have the G-Man show up at many times to spawn all sorts of weird conspiracy theories like we do. To cut out cheesy special effects, sets and costumes maybe it could be animated and voiced by the game's cast. Maybe even use the source engine and sets itself with enhanced models since we know it's already beautiful enough.

Don't have it just cover Gordon. We don't need to see him bandaging a wound or solving a jumping puzzle. Have jumps to other characters although Gordon will obviously be the hero.

Using the TV method we don't need to cover Black Mesa in one movie and wait years for a sequel but go through the entire timeline. The portal storms, the 7 hour war, the supression of children, the beginning of the resistance and finally the deus ex machina esque rebirth of Gordon Freeman.

This will probably never happen but with so many cookie cutter sitcoms and ripoffs of Dawson's Creek on TV, I think it would be refreshing to all viewers let alone HL fans.

I agree on the movie side of things, and I thought the same myself.

BUT - you'd have to make sure that u kept the Hollywood formulaic guys away from it, and got good script writers like Joss Whedon or Quentin Tarantino to do the writing, and maybe Roman Polanski to be the director (filmed in europe of course.....) If that does not happen, it will be just another Phantom Menace - with Headcrabs doing cutesy dances instead of Gungans, or Judge Dredd with a lamo sidekick making even more lamo jokes.

A movie is fine - however i predict disaster and a big crapola movie if mainstram Hollywood gets a hold of it.

My thoughts..
If it was done WELL, a Half-Life film COULD be very good. However, it would have to be done very carefully to make appropriate use of the source material.
I don't think a film would work without being at least partly focussed on Gordon. The games are all about Gordon. Let's be honest, without him the events in the games are fairly standard sci-fi/horror cliches. However, I do like the idea of looking at other character's experiences of the Black Mesa incident - Barney, Adrian and other marines, maybe some of the scientists... I think we would have to get over Gordon speaking, it's kinda essential... but it could be kept to a minimum if he was with other people most of the time who would supply most of the dialogue...
I think the film would have to be done very 'artfully' to work - I'm thinking of styles like Gattacca, parts of Event Horizon maybe, perhaps even The Shining, for starters...
it would have to focus on establishing the atmosphere and tension of the setting - remember what Marc Laidlaw said about setting a story a mile underground and not telling the reader - getting that kind of claustrophia across would be cool...

I am sure people are writing scripts as we speak. Whether or not they get accepted, who knows.

I guess the big problem, is the characters are very, well two dimensional. You don't know much about any of them in the video game.

For example, how does Gordon know how to shoot and throw grenades without doing 10 weeks in boot camp? Can u imagine giving a nerd from MIT an MP5 with a launcher, and him living more than a nanosecond? The way I think to plausibly deal with this gap in the story, is to have Gordon join the National Guard while at MIT to help fund his tuition.

Calanen said:
For example, how does Gordon know how to shoot and throw grenades without doing 10 weeks in boot camp?

From playing FPS games in his spare time? :LOL:
To be honest, I agree that it's unrealistic, but it's hardly a rarity in movies for complete beginners to be oddly capable with weapons - first thing that springs to mind is Ripley in Aliens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back