Half life ... THE MOVIE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure they give lessons to every one at Black Mesa for self defence.

Sieg said:
I'm sure they give lessons to every one at Black Mesa for self defence.

against computers incase they got rowdy? No one, except maybe Breen an a few of his minions, even knew that the Black Mesa disaster was going to happen.

Anyway, how old is Gordon supposed to be? I guess its possible he was in the army or something before joining Black Mesa because Black Mesa was probably looking for recruits somewhere in the army. They had to be sure the ppl they were recruiting were loyal to their country before they gave them a position in a super secret underground base.

I think the guy who did Gladiator and Black Hawk Down would make the Half-Life movie perfect. What's his name? Ridley Scott or something? Anyway, he's tha shit.

Phat-t said:
against computers incase they got rowdy? No one, except maybe Breen an a few of his minions, even knew that the Black Mesa disaster was going to happen.

Anyway, how old is Gordon supposed to be? I guess its possible he was in the army or something before joining Black Mesa because Black Mesa was probably looking for recruits somewhere in the army. They had to be sure the ppl they were recruiting were loyal to their country before they gave them a position in a super secret underground base.

I think the guy who did Gladiator and Black Hawk Down would make the Half-Life movie perfect. What's his name? Ridley Scott or something? Anyway, he's tha shit.
Well Dr Kleiner and Gordon worked in austria for many years, government don't really care about loyalty or country of origin, as long as they get their research. And the army is not where'd I'd look to recruit theoretical physicists. If gordon went to college doesn't that actually illiminate the possibility that he was in the army? I guess the only explanation could be that the HEV suit for some bizarre reason was programmed to help the user aim better?

AJ Rimmer said:
Well Dr Kleiner and Gordon worked in austria for many years, government don't really care about loyalty or country of origin, as long as they get their research. And the army is not where'd I'd look to recruit theoretical physicists. If gordon went to college doesn't that actually illiminate the possibility that he was in the army? I guess the only explanation could be that the HEV suit for some bizarre reason was programmed to help the user aim better?

how do you know they worked in austria?

AJ Rimmer said:
Well Dr Kleiner and Gordon worked in austria for many years
Only Gordon works in Innsbruck (Austria), Dr.Kleiner is Gordons mentor from MIT.
About movie: Half-Life could be cool as a IMAX movie or somethink like Animatrix. Classic game movies are from 99% bad.

heres a first person perspective movie...the first blair witch movie..crap I know but it was always from someones eyes(camera) as they ran around in the woods...I liked that aspect of the movie,it was almost like I was there running around too..

and are we also forgetting that VALVe's very own Mr.Laidlaw is a WRITER? y'know,books?as well as writing HL1 and 2...hmmm..this needs more thought...

and what the hell was that about star wars being a game to movie?(a page or 2 back) I hope that was a joke or I misunderstood! as far as video games go,I think that beyond Pong,Asteroids may have been out when the REAL trilogy began in '77..

Polaris said:
Only Gordon works in Innsbruck (Austria), Dr.Kleiner is Gordons mentor from MIT.
Really? Oh, I apologize, it was a long time since I last read it, but my point remains valid.

Scientists have already been to Xen collecting samples, I'd assume they'd be trained to use weapons since Xen is full of very dangerous and aggressive wildlife.

If gordon went to college doesn't that actually illiminate the possibility that he was in the army? I guess the only explanation could be that the HEV suit for some bizarre reason was programmed to help the user aim better?

Nope. Read what I said. He could have been in the National Guard while in college (although he'd be a pariah on campus presumably) to help fund his tuition. While most feral liberals with dreadlocks muttered under the breath about the guys in the Army Reserve, and I heard them do so a few times, few wanted to 'take them on' in public. Sensible course, given the odd Commando and Paratrooper taking studies with them.

Plenty of students were. I thought about it, but I could earn better money driving cabs, and once you are in the Army, reserve or not, you do as you are told.....so one weekend a month in theory, but if ordered to do more, you better do it.

But this explains a hole in the plot. Also, I know you are joking, @ the person who said Gordon plays FPS - but there are those about who think that the online gaming means you are uber leet army dude in the real world. I once had a guy say to me that he was an expert in military strategy and tactics. I said, really, which military did you serve with? Well, I thought about joining the army said, he, but did not go - but I have been involved in Clan War Gaming for 20 years now, and never lost a war...........Hmm, Im sure when George Senr and then later Dubya were planning the wars with Iraq, that the panel of Clan Gamers as consultants steered them in the right direction......

Truth is - using auto weapons cold for the first time, is really really hard. FPS shooters or clan gaming notwithstanding.

Also, to the person who said that they did not know how old Gordon was, it says in the opening sequence in HL1. I cant remember - but 27/28 springs to mind.

Crowbar 15 said:
You would have to see Gordon's face, and Valve would not allow it anyhow!!
what about the front cover to the box or in Dr. kleiner's lab, the photo that he uses to open the teleporter room, it has a pic of gordon on it.

when i become a 1337 independent film writer/director I will make a film using HL2 as my script. More then likely this will not happen...but I'd like to do it

Originally Posted by Calanen
For example, how does Gordon know how to shoot and throw grenades without doing 10 weeks in boot camp?

Who says gordon has to be a supercommando in the movie? he is a scientist who probably did fire one or two weapons in his lifetime but i am thinking that the Character of Gordon Freeman in a film Version would be close to that of Stanley Goodspeed(The ROck, NIc Cage, Sean Connery, Michal Bay) where stanley was an FBI agent but was a office worker- a scientist agent(like freeman) and in extreme sitatuations, under fire, freeman could fight his enemies with different methods similar to that of goodspeed's character in the rock. In the Rock he uses very little fire power, only sometimes and mostly for suppressing fire but the last two main villians that he fights with he kills using the environment and foreign objects. Example:

Main Villain no. 1: Black Dude inside lighthouse.
Stanley is in a face off with the commando and know he has no chance of beating hime hand to hand, so he manages to move him towards the line of sight of the rocket emplacement, distract him enough to fire the rocket at him killing him as he shoots through the window and falls onto a pole impaling him: Genious...

Main bad guy no.2: Bad ass white dude
Stanley gets chased by him until he s cornered in a room, stanley distracts the commando with throwing the guidance chip to a rocket, the commando reaches for the chip and stanley makes a final effort to beat him up, he hits him a few good times but is not match for the commando, he grabs onto him and they both smahs through a window and the commando is now on top of him chocking him. With little time left, stanley retrieves a vial of a chemical virus and shoves it into the commandos mouth, smashing it and spreading the virus into his organs. Stanley take the antidote and saves the day....Very Cool

THe point: In a halflife movie, gordan freeman, apart from firing a weapon at his enemies can be clever enough to use what is there to kill them. Why? because he is no match to hand to hand or in gun battles with trained proffessionals. Using objects such as explosive barrels and gas tanks, electrical boxes, to kill his enemies would work pretty well in a movie. ANd yes there can still be good action if the main hero is not always wielding a firearm. I reckon he could still use a gun in the movie but not to kill every bad guy that appears in the movie.

Half-Life as a movie would ruin VALVe's initial design.

However, Half-Life, it's expansion packs, and Half-Life 2 would utterly make perfect books to read! :D

Most of the time I fear it when they turn great games into a movie, not to mention at this day and age when they got this issues about the storytelling changing the plot to fit the other crowd's mentallity who aint got no idea what Half-Life is all about(one sure sign of money making). However Im looking foward to a movie that isn't based on the game but rather a sort of Half-Life's actual mirror with a bit more personality. The movie 'The Rock' with Nic Cage and Sean Connery reminds me of Half-Life with both Cage and Connery's character comes out into a Gordon Freeman.

and plus Connery looks the Spit of Breen :p

Anyway, I heard rumors about HL: Movie

Valve staff talk to movie people, and movie People talk about Gordan falling in Love... and admit it EVERY DAMN Movie has got the hero falling in love... When Valve staff heard that they Sped away like the roadrunner on crack... Then STEAM was everywhere.... (You know u wanna laugh :naughty: )

Why HL the movie? Gordon is a damn mute, he cant speak!

Idonotbelonghere said:
Cant believe no ones done this yet...er...unless they have...I havent heard of/seen any.
Sure they have 5 sec clips where u see through someone else's eyes but a WHOLE MOVIE would be awesome.

Doom: The Movie will have first person perspectives through most of the movie.

If they make a movie i fear that it will be horrible....but i still would go and see it.

Hey scarecrow dude! I liked your story!

But now straight to the point.
A movie about half-life would have some pro's and cons.

pro:
-Bad ass effects (Resonance Cascade, Aliens, Marine fights, gordon's slaughter in a max. 3 hour adventure)
-Quite some action for the adventure hungry

That's about it

cons:
-Storyline is allready known, plus you would've allready played some things yourself, and you can tell that they won't shoot every little thing you've done (Questionable Ethics, Residue Processing)
-Gordon Freeman is a rather silent man, which will only attract the half-life fans, and not the ordinary film watcher.
-Xen sucks, wether in the game, or the movie.

I'm not sure how a HL2 game will work out. It would be pretty neat from a new perspective...

HL would be great as a movie but I doubt that It would for for several reasons:
a) The characters would need to be perfect, otherwise we wold all kill the director
b) There would need to be many characters, focusing on Gordon would be boring so you would need to have Security Gaurds and Scientists develop as characters.
c) Gordon will have to speak, undoubtably. But I'm not sure how fans will like it.

HL2 is far more likely to be a film since there are more characters, but its still a hard job. A movie for HL would probably be based on the HL universe, vaguely refering to gordon.
So I think it would be great if it worked.

Crowbar 15 said:
And lets face it, a movie made entirely in first person? not a chance! You would have to see Gordon's face, and Valve would not allow it anyhow!!
Wait - am I missing something? I thought the guy in that HEV suit holding a crowbar was Gordon? :eek:

I reckon a film based on Half-Life 2 could be fantastic - so long as the person or persons adapting it were not afraid to take a tremendous amount of liberties - changing characters, deepening plot points, eliminating locations, et cetera... It may work if the film was loosely on Half Life 2. So, if it meets the requirement of totally alienating loads of Half Life purists, it could succeed, standing as a movie on its own.

What might have a chance at actually being good would be something like the expansions, where it is basically the accident from another persons perspective. Along with this I would imagine it with a lot of character interaction. Some good examples from the game and expansions are the very beginnings: Gordon observing various scientists talk, Adrian riding in the helicopter, and the two scientists talking in the elevator at the beginning of Blue Shift.

Also they would probably have to start the movie quite a while before the actual accident. I think that the accident should be the climax of the movie, and if they could pull it off well enough, the character that the movie is following could be alone for most of the second half of the movie. I doubt that they actually could do this well, as the only movie I've seen with such little character interaction was Cast Away, and even then they had Wilson there for exchange of dialogue.

And they could MABYE pull off a Gordon cameo, if it was far enough away that is ;)

EDIT: of course that is to say if it actually happens (which it won't) and if it did I would refuse to watch it, and loose all faith in Valve :p

Okay, okay... Let's compare it this way. I think HL1 would make a strong Action flick.

HL1 = HL1 should feel this way. A pretty generic action flick with some flashy effects. The only difference is... We have to LOVE Gordon, Kliener, Vance and Barney. We need to take a mediocre Sci-fi story, and add likable characters. We need an excellent writer and an equally excellent cast. We would have figure out a way to make Gordon the main character while having Kliener, Vance, and Barney play heavier roles than they did in the game. Barney is so cool, Kliener is lovable, Vance needs to feel fatherly like he does in HL2. How do we make this translate to the screen though? As for Gordon himself, if he has to speak, we have to make him cool beyond cool. To make Gordon into a movie star would be the biggest miracle of the whole process. The only other problem is there is no definitive villain... and we need one! The Nihilanth will not DO! So if this whole Combine controlling the Xen inhabitants is true, maybe they should make a apperance? If not, maybe YOU guys can think of better villain, because we need one. Possibly Adrien Shephard? Just as a nod to the fan base, and I know a lot of people love Adrian, but in the end, he was trying to kill Gordon, and he was probably the best. I'm thinking to hard, please tell me what you think.

HL2 = This is where the depth starts. People were drawn in by the over all coolness factor of Half-life 1. They want to know what happens next! So we bring in the love story, as subtle as it is, we bring in the Combine and Breen who are TRUE villains. We start finding out about how the Combine relates to Xen. What happened to Earth (Wouldn't that be a COOL way to begin the film. A quick flash back to the Seven Hour War being told by maybe Eli Vance. First words of the movie could be "Seven Hours, it only took Seven Hours." Then we see the destruction. After the monologue and flashback we see the HL2 logo, then darkness... then "Rise and Shine Mr. Freeman... Rise and Shine...") We reunite the characters, we introduce new ones... But I will say it again HL2 WILL ONLY BE GOOD if we made people like the characters in HL1.

HL3 = No idea yet, but once again the success rides on the first two. And with all the mystery surrounding G-man, you had BETTER BELIEVE people will want to know just as much as we do...

But I can certainly see Half-life working. It even sounds like it could be a well reguarded triology (assuming the storyline is a trilogy). It has flavors of The Matrix, Star Wars, 1984, geez, it's like a Sci-fi perfection movie. It takes what it needs, and builds it into a superior animal. If done perfectly...

i gotta admit Sn4tcH you present a good case there. For the villain, maybe you could just make it seem like there is one but actually isn't and put more empthasis on breen being the admin behind the scenes like in Hl?

not bad Sn4tcH, i really like your idea, id say that the main villian for hl1 movie should be some of the government politicinas, perhaps a corrupt or incopoetent politicain trying to act like the "saviour" of the human race by deciding to send in a clean up crew and kill the aliens plus the scientists, you now, a bit of intrigue. And you can have maybe a few commando bosses or even just one commando who is in charge of a squad, maybe him and his men are a psychos, who were sent in specifically to silence the scientists, sent by that very politician. They could even be mercs hired by the politicin.

Then in hl2 you have the real VILLIANS: breen and combine.

that way there is a real contrast with the bad guys in the first and second movies. hl1's primary villians are humans where as hl2's are ALIENS.

If they did make a movie, I think it would be best told from the viwepoint of the resistence during half life 2. With gordon left as a minor character. I just dont see a decent movie coming from the perspective of gordon and if it did I agree with people earlier in this post who say it would have to be made a book first. I would prefer this stay just a game.

I would like a halo movie directed by ridley scott however. The game already has a sort of movie feel to it, I don't think it would be a tough adaptation.

If they made a HL movie, it would kill the game for me. Not that HL has a fantastic amount of depth actually in the story, but the premise wouldn't be quite as appealing for a third run.

Hell, a FPS movie.

There IS that kinda new movie coming out that had never been done like it before where the whole movie was cell shading and wireframes and stuff. Why not have a movie where you have the lead role played by Freeman who is a non-talking, Clint Eastwood type who is trigger happy and has some great stuff happening throughout it. Possibly have some moments for intense action where it would switch to GF's viewpoint as he blows away the Combine. (after ravenholm) Maybe have a nice move where he is being sniped all from all over, and he lobs a couple grenades, but runs out, sees a crossbow on the ground a few hundred feet away, and he makes the dash for it, rolls, a sniper bullet barely misses his head by a few inches, and he grabs the crossbow, rests it on his arm, and then it switches to first person mode as he loads, then looks through the crosshair, sees the sniper reloading and shoots the red hot rebar projectile and the camera does a follow along where it follows the shot, and when the combine soldier looks to see it coming at him, the camera cuts off to the side as it shows the bar shooing at a slight incline through the soldier's heart and it nails him to the wall behind him. Gordon stands up, reloads the crossbow, goes and picks up the Combine Overwatch Rifle off the ground from the other sniper that fell out of his hole in the wall, and walks away down a tunnel.

Oooo... I do occasionally have some good views of great ideas for movies.

Edit: I really like your idea Sn4tch. I can see we think along similar lines. Your idea for the intro to HL' the movie sounds perfect.

All filmed with Saving Private Ryan cinematography?

Your description is pretty good...

I'd love to see a Half-Life movie, but it'll need to be directed by a director with MANY years of experience and is well known.

Someone like Peter Jackson. His movies are 99.9% good, plus the movie would have to be in production for a VERY long while in order to make it good.

Sainku said:
If they did make a movie, I think it would be best told from the viwepoint of the resistence during half life 2. With gordon left as a minor character.

I agree completely.

SsmitzZ said:
flame me all you want but i realy think half life should be made into a movie it would be good :D i think it would be a great film
i mean think about the lamest movie youv eva seen and then rate a half life movie to it ... i mean common ITS GONNA HAPPEN,.. well actully valve wont let it happen because they want u to fell like u are gordon freeman YADA YADA YADA SO I GUESS THEY WONT :( but valve if your out there please think about it ...... i also wouldent mind u sending me a free copy of HL2 and a plastic blow up dole of alyx.... ;)
You abbreviate you.

If they made a Half-Life movie, I'd slit my wrists by the way.

As I may have explained before, I know exactly how to make a good Half-Life movie.!

The tone would be somewhere between one of those tense drama-documentaries, Das Boot and Gus Van Sant's Elephant: tense, panicky, bare, clinical, quietly disturbing, disjointed, austere. I'm thinking particularly to Channel 4's Chernobyl documentary that was on a while ago. Odd/natural camera angles would be used: not conventional ones, but soemtimes where there might actually be cameras - 2001-style pinholes, first-person, security cams, helmet cameras. Minimal soundtrack.

The whole thing would focus on several interweaving stories that wouldn't necessarily be in exact chronological order but would follow a vague sequence. Instead of trying to directly copy HL's story we would take the elementals: a military science facility rips open a hole in reality and the military are sent to clean up the mess. Most of the stories would be individual members of the science team, a few Barneys.

On a small scale, the story and events would focus on how ordinary people react in this crazy situation. There would be a lot of buildup to the accident, and the characters would have to be very good/in depth. Freeman would either appear as a more 'normal' scientist or only in passing, as an unseen or little-seen hero character.

Control room/scientists. The resonance cascade would have quite a lot of leadup and last for longer than it does in-game, and a lot of action would take place in the control room where scientists are tbored, lazy, then bickering, then noticing, then trying to take control of the experiment, then worried, then frantic, then trying to shut everything down, then in panic as the facility goes to hell, then trying to take control of the situation, sending people downstairs to fix things, in the manner of Decay, phoning up the boys in C lab to do stuff, shit, line's dead, sending people over to deal with it, locking down everything to stop the military escaping, perhaps being trapped in there by aliens and managing to find their way outside the facility.

Time indicators would flash up on screen.
00:48 AM.
Perhaps there should even be a narrator and talking heads of survivors/experts to enhance the documentary feel.

A POSSIBLE STORYLINE

Rough chronology:
- Scientists and Barney: Character building
- Scientists: The experiment; tension
- Resonance cascade - initial, horrified calm
- Total, utter chaos
- Scientists: Chaotic lockdown and trying to regain control
- Military arrive to usurp control
- Proper alien invasion starts to appear
- Scattered, in-tatters chaos
- Barney escapes facility
- There is a Plan: to get to Lambda and begin closing the portals
- Marines begin to pull out; mass evacuation; everybody not already out or not trapped begins to try and escape the facility
- Closing the portals
- Trapped in Lambda, with immenant collapse of the facility after the dam blows up and floods half of the labs.
- Nuked. Only a few got out.

Essentially, the characters would go from thinking 'it's okay, it's okay, we can control this' to 'shit, shit, our experiment just blew up' and total madness, five hundred screaming people running down a corridor and piling in a fatal crush against a locked blast door, getting eaten, explosions, etc, to 'alright, we've shut every blast door in this facility and everything's red-lit with sirens and sprinklers and fires raging everywhere. Let's assess the damage and see what we can do.' Some scientists would stay in the control room, some would go down to help on a practical level, gathering survivors and injured into points where they could be helped, assessing damage, trying to fix things, having to go down into horribly dark infested areas and manually turn on backup dampening locks, cooling systems, generators, all the time with the aliens and 'environmental factors' ****ing up everyone's time. In constant phone contact with another lab that they at some point lose touch with, and must go over there to salvage what they can. Meanwhile, other workers trapped in their living quarters are besieged by aliens trying to get through the doors and so on and so forth.

Outside, the military arrive, and the welcoming party sent out by scientists in the control room is gunned down/captured. More military units start to deploy all over the facility, capturing key areas and engaging in firefights with security forces/massacres and roundings-up of large numbers of workers. As aliens overrun the dampening locks huge numbers of alien forces start to teleport through and clash with the military. The scientists retreat back into core areas, erecting barricades, while others try (and succeed, sometimes) to escape up to the surface where they must content with helicopters and tanks while escaping in jeeps/scrambling over rough desert terrain.

The scientists, having made contact with the boys over at the Lambda reactor, start devising a plan to close all the portals, and use their control over areas of the facility to keep the military at bay, but the whole situation is still hell only less intensive now, more scattered. Many of the scientists must fight their way over to Lambda to help out, and the Anomolous Materials and Lambda labs become the last science-controlled areas in the facility, barricaded strongly against masses of military forces and alien battallions trying to get in. At Lambda, they begin preparations to try and create a reverse effect and close all the portals, while more brave scientists head down to storage facilities to get a nuclear warhead. The Dam is blown up, flooding much of the facility. With the huge losses the military are suffering, they begin to pull out and to airstrike the facility. Most scientists are forced to Lambda when the Anomolous Materials facility is compromised by aliens. At Lambda, they prepare to send the nuclear warhead through to the source of the alien invasion, also preparing to close all portals once this is done.

With problems with the one remaining reactor turning it critical, and the military trying to get authorisation to nuke BMRF, the last few scientists do so, while all other survivors go down to a blast shelter under Lambda. The plan stops the aliens teleporting through, but since they essentially deliver a nuclear warhead inside Nihilanth's head, feedback destroys Lambda and the entire facility collapses into the ground.

The only survivors now are those few waiting for death in the bunker with the weird screaches and groans of a collapsing base echoing above them, and those who escaped overland. The bunker scientists know their shelter won't last long, and as the army get their authorisation and 'sterilise' Black Mesa, the bunker collapses and kills everybody inside it.

Badly written but yeah.
MAAAAAAAAAAYBE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back