Half-Life

R

RTFMish

I have never played SP on Half-Life, I always play till I get to the big cannon thingy or whatever in the beggining and then get bored..I am thinking about playing it for awhile, is the story something I'm ganna wanna understand before I play Half-Life 2 when it's released?

You don't really learn much in it beside that the G-man is your "friend".

Big cannon thing? Am I missing something? If you mean the test chamber then you haven't played enough to get into the story for it to be interesting.

I would say you don't NEED to play hl1 for hl2, but it would help and it is the greatest game ever made>

Yeah, the gameplay really ramps up after the initial introduction of Black Mesa and the experiment.

MrWhite said:
Big cannon thing? Am I missing something? If you mean the test chamber then you haven't played enough to get into the story for it to be interesting.

Yup, talking about the test chamber..
So I am probaly going to play through it for awhile, but just making sure.

Definately play the Halflife singleplayer, Hl2 will make alot more sense if you do. Besides it was one of the greatest single player experiences ever.

The game isn't extremely long, just play it until you get to Xen or something, I strongly recommend it if you have never played the game.. It rocks, I still get a little scared by the occasional headcrabs and stuff :)

holy...

your up to the test chamber? Thats still the intro to the game!!! Like, 10 minutes into a 30+ hours game!

its chapter one, i mean what draws you to hl2?
without the story its just another FPS.

I was thinking the same think nimh.

I was going to flame and abuse RTMFish until my throat was soar....but i will refrain. But indeed....why are you on this forum if you've basically never played HL1?

you've got a seriously bad attention span.

I've been through half-life more than 30 times.

you sicken me.........

Everyone needs to play HL at least 3 times.

It's not really that I got bored, but the graphics disgusted me.. The engine is so old, I judged a book by it's cover.. Err, a game but its graphics.

But to answer your question : I am drawn to Half-Life 2 mainly because I am amazed, other portion of it is the physics, they look super awesome, and I have been interested in what the hell is going on in City 17 and stuff like where the Combine came from..

Flame me just because I haven't played it much? Sounds pretty stupid..

well, once you give the game a chance, maybe youll be able to understand why some of us want to flame you. trust us, its a great experience. i still like it better than every game ive played since, and graphics of newer games dont live up to the immersion i still feel when i play HL.

"i still like it better than every game ive played since, and graphics of newer games dont live up to the immersion i still feel when i play HL."

same here, far cry has mad graphics, cool physics etc but at the end its hrumph, meh, so what. i had fun shooting stuff, but i dont really care whats happening.
half life its like your in a novel, a movie, little things, "forget about freeman", you want to know what happens next, you're really in black mesa.

even in 640x480 16bit ........ (physics and powerhouse graphics , that shit is just icing on the already tasty cake)

Mr-Fusion said:
I was thinking the same think nimh.

I was going to flame and abuse RTMFish until my throat was soar....but i will refrain. But indeed....why are you on this forum if you've basically never played HL1?

Maybe because he's interested in HL2? Why does it matter that he hasn't played/finished HL1? Everyone has their own reasons for being interested in a a particular game.

@RTFMish If I were you I would play it for a bit longer until you get through the experiment. That's really when the game starts. IMO there isn't too much to the story in HL1.

People who haven't played Half-Life 1 are heathens and should be burnt at the stake immediately, without question!

"IMO there isn't too much to the story in HL1."

sure you can write a short synopsis on it. but it doesnt take away from the fact that HL1, chapter one, is not an addition nor anything else but THE story so far.
which continues at City 17.

Oh, and the testchamber is probably the most ugly room/setting in the game, so get past that and you'll be fine :)

Give it some more time, you'll like it, eventhough great games are never AS great if you didn't play them the first time around (like deus ex was for me, played it the first time last year).

RTFMish said:
Yup, talking about the test chamber..
So I am probaly going to play through it for awhile, but just making sure.
Holy crap dude, you're totally missing out.
When i first read a review about Half-Life i didn't give a sh*t about it.
"98% percent...must be good, oh well" i thought. Then a couple months later i got a burnt copy of it off a friend and played it. It was so much fun i went out and bought the game, and every single thing to do with Half-Life.

I noticed that at the start, with the all the zombies and stuff, the game was good but nothing special. Then came the marines, and they totally blew me away. It was the first time i had ever played a game where the AI kicked my ass more often then i kicked theirs.

Now i'm all nostalgic, great.

Im sure that Hl2 will be riddled with in jokes and references....to get the full enjoyment out of a sequel, you really do have to play the first game(s)

I can imagine in a few years time people will be all like...

"This halflife2 - What was it like? I just heard about it. I even heard a rumour that there was an original game, made when neanderthals ruled the world with a rod of iron....uh....Flint"

"This halflife2 - What was it like? I just heard about it. I even heard a rumour that there was an original game, made when neanderthals ruled the world with a rod of iron....uh....Flint"

Haha.. its sad but its true. But what gets at me is that he doesn't play it because he thinks the graphics are ugly. Even though I like my games to look good, I won't play a game that sucks but has good graphics. Thats what all the new games today seem to be. They just look good but their game play is horrible. I've beat HL multiple times and I don't even notice that the graphics are out dated. The first time I beat it the game had just come out so it looked awesome. Infact, I don't notice the graphics because I haven't played any FPS games other than ones on the Q3 engine, which makes stuff look fat to me, because no other game has gameplay that interests me. So basically HL still looks good to me because I play nothin else that looks better. Even though the graphics aren't the best they are still pretty good looking in comparison to other games. Not playing a game because the graphics aren't cutting edge is just ignorant. I'd still play TF for Q1 today if more people played it because it was awesome. I don't care that it looks crappy but that gameplay rocked, unlike TFC haha.

It's funny but every thread I read of this kind someone mentions the engines is either ugly or old. Well an engine can be old I'll grant RTFMish that but when someone sais an engines ugly Flame Wars ensue. An engine can't be ugly if it's and engine now can it?

If you haven't played HL1, you are to be either shot, or go down to your local games shop and buy it.

Farrowlesparrow said:

Heh, I can imagine when we're 80, talking our grandkids about our Half-Life/2 experiences.

"Yes m'lad, that was when the resonance cascade occured and all of Xen's aliens poooured into Black Mesa, eheh... about 10 years after that I woke up in a strange place called City 17, but we'll save that story for next time!"

Yeah, when we're all old and senile we'll be talking about our game experiences as if they're real war stories.

"So there I was, storming the Reichstag. The nazis had made their last stand there and...zzzz....what? Oh yes, and they were firing from all the windows. Luckily we had tank support. Tanks were better in the old days...."

It was an even better experience 4-5 years ago when it was new. At that time, the graphics were very nice and it was completely fresh, it was THE best time to play through the single player. But to answer your question, yeah you should play through it, even though it might not be as enjoyable to someone who can't fully appreciate half-life because of never truly getting into it.

I am stuck! Ahhh.. these things are so annoying, I have no ammo, and very low health..
I have to get back to the top and fire some thing to kill this huge monster.. But they keep killing me before I get up there.. Any suggestions?

BTW : Believe it or not, some things made me jump, like a soldier I didn't see shoot at me, or pop outa nowhere.

c1a4i0001.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying it =)

Well the way I avoid running out of ammo and health is by habitually saving every time I kill some1, then quick loading if I get shot.... sad I know

Well the way I avoid running out of ammo and health is by habitually saving every time I kill some1, then quick loading if I get shot.... sad I know

Oh we all know deep down that we creep 'n' save when no one is looking lol

@RTFM
Take ur time. Go slowly and dont make a sound. use the croutch key or the shift key or both lol. Climbing the ladder is a bit dangerous, but ull get it. If you have to, use a grenade and distract the monster.

God it was so satisfying to burn that thing for the first time.

I used all my grenades, but whenever I go through the door that claw hits me..
And I also only have 27 HP :(

The claw is the green Tentacle, yes?

Crouch. It homes in on sound. There are certain things you can do to distract it...

Also, if you think the graphics are bad... Have you got the HD pack?

He hasn't got the High Definition pack installed Brian, look at the crowbar.

Go get it off fileplanet and install it :D. It makes the models look a lot better. They're still "old" but I think they make a really big improvement on the HL graphics

Sulkdodds said:
Meh, I prefer the old ones to be honest.

I sort of do too, but it's mainly becaue I'm use to them. I guess it's a tad nostalgic.

But I mean, if he has just started it he won't be thinking of the glorious old days with those models and such :p.

Although some of the high def things look odd. The Barneys do seem a bit fat.

Well I'll try it again tommorow.. Don't wanna wake the parents up :(

Didn't realise there was an image up. Checking.

Ah-ha.

HIGH DEFINITION PACK! NOW!

(The crowbar looks funky. All green...)

Back