Halflife2 on dvd only?

Lets have HL2 on floppy. And make it DOS compatible. :)

USB drives are great, though I have had problems with them on certain corporate (cough, Dell, cough) computers with Windows XP.

I'm sure all of you know that DVD drives can read cd-roms right? For some reason I'm getting the vibe that some of you think that the DVD can only play DVD's and therefore would be useless for cd-roms. Well, It can play both! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :thumbs: :thumbs:

do most of the new dell pentium 4's have a dvd player in them?

Shuzer said:
..floppies are faster? What are you talking about? It takes over a minute to transfer 1.44MB to a floppy, it'd take less than a second if you did that to a CD

Besides, USB pen drive devices are pretty much over throwing floppies in terms of portable storage, they're much faster, hold more data, and are alot smaller.

wtf you talking about shuz? it takes me about 5 seconds to load 1.44 mb. But I do agree with whoever said usb drives are the new floppies, but only if you have front-mounted ports :)

hero, My dell came with a DVD drive and I bought it 3 years ago. Yes every machine comes with one now if you buy it retail

Six Three said:
wtf you talking about shuz? it takes me about 5 seconds to load 1.44 mb. But I do agree with whoever said usb drives are the new floppies, but only if you have front-mounted ports :)

What are you talking about? Floppys are slow as snails. Plus they have such a small capacity. Till about month ago, I still used floppys for documents, spreadsheets, and small databases. I used a new floppy disk every other month. Trust me, they take forever, to load and download stuff off of floppys.

Now I have a USB drive and it flys. I just transfered 4 mbs of files in about 20 seconds. Floppys cannot even compete with USB drives.

hero said:
do most of the new dell pentium 4's have a dvd player in them?

why are u asking? don't tell me ur gonna buy a dell.. :x

build ur own and save some cash!!! :thumbs:

I think they'd release it on both CD and DVD, because Valve said they built Source to run on lower-end computers and a fair bit of people who own lower-end computers would use CD-ROMS instead of DVD-ROM's. Well thats what i think

(200th post, yippee!)

I hope it's DVD only just because i really want that medium to start kicking ass in the PC market.

yeah but i dont want to spend another 90 bucks on a DVD drive i dont need

i feel the same way :)

got dvd for tv no need for a pc >< , just give me all the disks u want i don't care

I agree with Mr Fusion here, it's going to be the medium soon. People were just as reluctant to buy CD ROM drives back when Floppies were being phased out. Just remember, it's all for the better.

They've already said it'll be on CDs.

The *collectors* edition was the one promised to be on DVD.

Sparta said:
yeah but i dont want to spend another 90 bucks on a DVD drive i dont need

You can buy cheap drives that will perform perfectly. $90 is such an exaggeration of the price I'm almost laughing.

collectors edition eh...?
i dun think there will be much difference between the cd/dvd versions...they'll prolly add on some bonuses or somethin on the dvd version...???

I hope they do.

-Making of documentaries. It would be fantastic to see what they all say about the hacking incident.
-Theatrical trailers (Imagine they actually advertised Half-Life 2 before movies...drool)
-TV advertisements
-Shitloads of concept art like the LOTR DVD's
-Footage of early early beta versions from like 3 years ago
-The script!

And more!

Having a DVD drive is almost essential IMHO. They are cheap, I bought my Sony DVD+/- RW for about £120 but a std DVD rom you can buy even from ripoff merchants like PC WORLD for under £30. The fact that it'll let you watch your DVD's (cough *pr0n* cough) too is a bonus. How many times have you wanted to watch a film but couldn't beucase the missus is watching Easternders Omnibus or some such sheat? :p

do ya think the dvd will make performance slightly faster...
??
i've got a cd/dvd drive neways so i dun need to worry :)

Killj00 said:
do ya think the dvd will make performance slightly faster...
??
i've got a cd/dvd drive neways so i dun need to worry :)

I wouldn't of thought so.

I think HL2 on a DVD is a good thing if they add extra stuff...
i.e. Steam + All games, SDK, XSI HL2 EXP and some artwork

It would be much more simple.

well i dun think steam+all the games would matter too much cause ppl will be too busy playing hl2 :D

i'd rather play with my big black dildo then hl2, but hey, that's just me

lmfao, my computer is worth over 1000 pound but I still havn't got a DVD rom. I was looking into buying one, but tbh. Didn't see the point since I watch all my dvd's on the DVD player about 1 meter away from me on my large screen sony tv and home theater system :D If I was going to get a dvd rom it would have to be a dvd rw drive. This is so I get some more use out of it.

i believe only Europe is gonna get Far Cry on DVD while US gets the CD-ROM version. it doesn't matter to me really. i got a 9600 XT and HL2 coupon with it.

most people don't need a dvd drive. i built my own system. a cd burner is much more useful than a dvd rom, especially since most people have at least a console that plays dvd's or numerous other devices (if you even watch dvd's). now that dvd burners are less expensive, getting a dvd burner is the way to go i'd say.

Yeah, I got a HL2 coupon with my 9600XT (unexpected coz the site I ordered it off told me it would NOT have HL2 with it :) ), but I'll be buying a copy when it hits the shelves and grabbing my free copy off Steam so I get nother CD (DVD?) Key, so me and my bro can both play :)

Face it guys, if you're a gamer and you dont have a DVD drive, you're going to need one sooner or later.

i would think that more publishing companies are gonna publish their games on DVDs cause it has the capability of storing around 2.7 gigs on a disk...so if i didnt have a dvd drive i would get 1 but get a dvd-rw instead of a normal one.

2.7? Current DVDs have 4.5 or so and the new ones coming out this summer will have 27. :p

Ahnteis said:
2.7? Current DVDs have 4.5 or so and the new ones coming out this summer will have 27. :p

Current DVDs..

DVD5 are roughly 5GB
DVD9 (which alot of things are on, IE. movies) are roughly 9GB

wouldnt mind getting a dvdrw but I can only afford a regular drive atm

Doesn't it go: Single sided + single layered... Single sided + double layered... Double sided + double layered...

Or something like that?

Brian Damage said:
Doesn't it go: Single sided + single layered... Single sided + double layered... Double sided + double layered...

Or something like that?

yeah.. but, I wasn't including double sided DVDs when referring to space comparasion, because, that might as well be two DVDs

Sorry - was talking specifically about DVD-Rs.
There are different capacity professional DVDs. :)

EDIT: Which of course doesn't make sense give the context of the discussion but what you gonna do?!

Iconoclast said:
You can buy cheap drives that will perform perfectly. $90 is such an exaggeration of the price I'm almost laughing.
I live in Australia, the cheapest one i can find that isn't secondhand is 90 bucks.

I had a feeling he was, thats why i clarified it.

I acctually dont have a floppy drive in my comp. It's not needed anyway. And i have both a DVD-Reader and a DVD-Burner, they are relly cheap these days.

Back