Halloween Update!

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
This was just posted from his Twitter: http://www.minecraft.net/boo/

I guess the estimates for the end of October to be the next update weren't wrong.

Feature List:

Fish
New Monsters
Biomes
Torches go out
Craftable Watch.

How exciting!

Torches go out.... :|

EDIT: Oh, but theres lanterns now that dont.

Now he just needs to make the day a little longer than the night like it is in real life..

The list looks awesome though. I hope lanterns look super sweet.

I'm excited about lanterns but not so much about torches going out.

Biomes and new mobs should be cool though :D

Torches going out makes sense, given that coal is meant to be a finite resource, but having a huge excuse to use flint & steel everywhere is making me nervous as hell. :(

Edit: Also, woo! And stuff.

Are we ever going to turn invincibility off on the server?

Torches go out.... :|

EDIT: Oh, but theres lanterns now that dont.

That was my first sentence/phrase too. Ugh, even if there are things to replace torches with, it doesn't help that i'm going to have to replace hundreds, if not thousands of them. :/

Yikes. Wondering what the new mobs will be. Wonder if the torch thing will be configurable, and hope the recipe for lanterns isn't too expensive.

lol, this update sounds awesome guys

33688_474295444881_156573764881_6610022_812445_n.jpg

I really hope lanterns aren't too expensive to make, otherwise this update will make the game really frustrating.

"Craftable Watch"

<glances at watch> 8:43 AM - Day 1

<chops down five trees>

<glances at watch> 12:07 AM - Day 2

<chops down 300 trees>

<glances at watch> 2:13 AM - Day 2

Man, that update sounds awesome!

I like the sound of the more challenging mobs. I've been looking for a reason to start SP fresh, and that looks like my reason!

Not psyched about the torches, but otherwise cool.

Also 'monsters that are actually hard' **** you skeletons are ****ing brutal.

Amen. If there's more than one skeleton your only option is to run if you don't have a heal.

Torches going out is a terrifying new feature that will make this Halloween the scariest one I've ever had.
The thought of having to replace them all... I just peed a little.

The torch thing will make me rethink exploring deep caves.

"****... oh **** me, how far do I go before my torches go out and I get completely and utterly lost... forever."

In SMP, we'll have to explore caves in groups! haha.

Loving the update, though yeah the torches thing is gonna make things interesting...

I hope the lanterns will have a larger lighting effect. That would help to offset the more expensive recipe.

someone needs to finish that graveyard or tomb we were talking about.

A thought: how are you meant to see torches to relight them in dark places? :p

I hope so. I want to kill the invading friendly mobs.
Invincibility isn't why you can't kill mobs, that's just because SMP is broke and he hasn't implemented it yet.

A thought: how are you meant to see torches to relight them in dark places? :p

One thing that could help, that I am surprised isn't already implemented, is just lighting the torch you have in your hand and carrying it around with you.

Does minecraft support fluid dynamic lighting like that?

No, but at least the light source could be anchored to the second cube off the ground. It would be jumpy but appropriate for the medium of the game. Lights are already dynamic in his game, and I can't imagine it would be impossible to have a non-quantized light coordinate. Heh, triple negative.

Yeah, even if it behaved like the light from lava as it flows into new areas, it'd be fine.

Now he just needs to make the day a little longer than the night like it is in real life.

The man read your mind before you wrote this. Day is 10 minutes, night is 7.

Also, the changes are relevant for me if they're implemented in MP.

According to Notch's twitter, all preexisting torches will be turned into lanterns when the update comes out.

/me just aquired thousands of lanterns. :V

That's nice to know, I'm going to be spamming torches then until the update..I want a nice supply. ;)
There are still plenty of good light sources in the game though aside from torches so I don't think it will be that critical of a change.

my giant flaming sword will probably look funny with lanterns on them. not that it doesn't look funny now but heres hoping my fortress looks better, cuz I'm juggling like 5 projects at once.

You can also illuminate places with burning logs. Much more plentiful that coal

Will purchase this game if this update plays as good as it sounds.

Back