Halloween Update!

I'm lost.

Is that a few blocks beneath the surface or how does that whole area work? It'd be neat if you had to find a rare opening in the bedrock. (usually, there is nothing)

Did you read? You make a portal with obsidian like it said.

It wouldn't make sense for it to be under the normal surface, because the scales are totally different.

It's a different dimension.

SHUT UP VEGETA. I TOTALLY READ ABOUT IT AFTER YOU YELLED AT ME IN CHAT. KINDA POINTLESS TO ASK ME THERE AND THEN ASK ME HERE. THANKS FOR EMBARASSING ME.

66yuth.jpg

Actually I asked you here first.

20101022212308capture.jpg

20101022212352capture.jpg

MAN AM I ANNOYING OR WHAT

20101022212757capture.jpg

Yeah, you're still annoying.

pleasenotthere.png

This update is going to be awesome!! I can't wait for it. The server render is going to start looking a whole lot more awesome with all the different areas.

Huh? There are 6 new block types being added in this update...

Also, that preview got me very excited. I cant wait to lay down my first portal into Hell! :D

I just need to go get some Obsidian...

It would be cool if the creatures from hell could pop out of the portals occasionally and cause some havoc before dying because they can't survive long outside of hell.

now your playing with portals!!

i would also love to see a half life mod with this game complete with crowbar, gravity gun, rocket launchers, DOG, etc. it would be a blast!

Huh? There are 6 new block types being added in this update...

Also, that preview got me very excited. I cant wait to lay down my first portal into Hell! :D

I just need to go get some Obsidian...

As I understand it, maps that have already been rendered won't 'spawn' the new block types. So our server won't get the new block types. If I'm wrong please correct me... I really want to be wrong.

As I understand it, maps that have already been rendered won't 'spawn' the new block types. So our server won't get the new block types. If I'm wrong please correct me... I really want to be wrong.

Congratulations! You're wrong!

Basically, we'd just have to explore us up some more map. The new block types just won't be present on existing areas in any natural sense, but will be available in chunks that currently exist outside what we've explored so far.

Kind of sucks that we'll have to explore so far out to find the other stuff, but in a way it's kind of cool that we have this persistent "oasis" of normality. It's all tits up from here, gents.

It would be cool if the creatures from hell could pop out of the portals occasionally and cause some havoc before dying because they can't survive long outside of hell.

You're in luck! Notch said on his twitter that they will sometimes spawn in the normal world if a portal is nearby.

EDIT: Another interesting tidbit of information:

"I'm changing "difficulty" to "realism". Lowest setting = creative. Highest setting = starve"

Essentially he confirmed that at higher difficulties you must eat periodically to survive.

Hell yes that sounds awesome.

But there needs to be more types of food and ways to acquire them.

I really want a challenging survival experience.

Apple trees appearing randomly, perhaps? Apples are already in there, but the only way to acquire them is from chests. Other than that, wheat is pretty easy to farm, but then bread doesn't do a whole lot.

oh man, i don't even know how to effectively farm!! survival mode i'll probably starve and become a zombie and eat my neighbors

Is the Halloween update going to actually be on Halloween? If it is I don't think I'll go trick or treating.... :p

I hope the server is working by Halloween...

Via Notch's twitter, the official list of biomes to be included in the Bootober update:

rainforest, temperate rainforest, seasonal forest, forest, savanna, shrubland, taiga, desert grass, desert ice, desert, and tundra!

tundra master race here

As far as I can tell humidity and temperature are the major factors for categorizing the biomes. Savanna is a tropical grassland, shrubland is a temperate grassland, desert grass is a mostly dry grassland, etc.

At first I was worried that they wouldnt vary too much, but since he confirmed that different kinds of grass and tree leaves will be added, he can make these biomes look totally different from one another.

I would also LOVE for this sort of thing to affect mountains (grasslands at the bottom, snow at the top).

We need tauntaun-like mounts for the tundra.

sw_funko_han_taun_taun.jpg

Would this mean the overall height of the would would have to be increased? Also what effect would this have on any skin packs we have installed?

Would this mean the overall height of the would would have to be increased?
Why?

If you say because of the new underworld thing, I'm gonna smack you.

Also what effect would this have on any skin packs we have installed?
The update would replace your skin pack.

New skin packs would have to be released to accommodate the new textures.

Generally the major skin packs are good about updating quickly when there are new textures added in an update. The guy that does Painterly Pack got his out within a couple hours of the last update (although that was just a fishing rod).

Why?

If you say because of the new underworld thing, I'm gonna smack you.

The update would replace your skin pack.

New skin packs would have to be released to accommodate the new textures.

no. Not because of the underworld thing. But typically when you are walking though mountains without snow and arrive at mountains with snow you go up in elevation. I don't think the current world height can handle that.I guess Notch doesn't have to change the world height but I think it would be cool to see an everest like mountain towering above other mountains where its base it green but its top is white.

Am I wrong in thinking that Notch said at some point he'll be expanding the vertical depth of the world from 128 to 512 in the future? I can't remember if this is a sourced fact or if it was just rumor. I really hope he at least increases it to 256. 128 is a bit cramped tbh.

512 would be awesome. Especially if it means sealevel was 256.

Deeper Dungeons!

One thing I loved about minecraft when I first started playing was the sense of discovery. Getting deeper and deeper until I found rarer resources, it was cool. If he added even more valuable resource types that are even deeper than -64 from sealevel, it'd be awesome.

512 depth would be mind bogglingly awesome. I mean... holy shit that'd be epicly deep, at least compared to right now which for all intents and purposes is quite deep.

Would be nice if the height was increased by maybe 64 or 128. Mountains don't have to rise naturally to that height, but it just allows more room for people to build epic structures.

Cloud height needs raised too.

Cloud height needs raised too.

Truth.

EDIT: Forgive my naivety, but the biomes in the video linked to above seem to consist mostly of snow / not snow. I saw patches of sand with cacti, but, yeah.

Back