Halloween Update!

Ohhhh those biomes look great!

/stripmines a desert biome

Truth.

EDIT: Forgive my naivety, but the biomes in the video linked to above seem to consist mostly of snow / not snow. I saw patches of sand with cacti, but, yeah.

I noticed that. I also noticed about three different shades of grass and leaves... I assume those are different Biomes. I also noticed a distinct lack of desert Biomes, and the transitions between biomes seems to be quite abrupt and the biomes themselves seem a little small. But this is just the first taste and I assume there will be tweaks in the future.

How could it be made not abrupt? There aren't any "grass with 20% snow on it" textures to make any kind of blending. And dithering would just look awful.

A lot of things about this game's environments is abrupt. I mean the world is made of meter sized cubes!

Hopefully it's snowing the the snow parts. I didn't see any snowfall. :v

Probably because he wasn't in it long enough for the particle effects to start generating.

Man, I love the look of the biomes so far, but I really do hope he makes them larger. Also at one point in the video a desert appears right next to tundra/arctic, which doesnt make a whole lot of sense...

He says in his blog that it's still not finalized, so yeah.

Dear god I am happy about deserts, though. I almost want to start the server afresh so people will stop ruining our ****ing beaches. :frown:

Nope, it'll update the multiplayer to some degree as well, though how much we're not sure.

So.. anyone could create a portal to hell in MP? Wouldn't that be problematic because it generates a new map when going through a portal, or would there be one designated Hell per Map?

So.. anyone could create a portal to hell in MP? Wouldn't that be problematic because it generates a new map when going through a portal, or would there be one designated Hell per Map?

I'm pretty sure there will only be one underworld for the entire map... every time you make a portal in the underworld or on the surface, it creates a corresponding portal where it should be.

It's amazing to me that people still don't understand this Hell concept.

Yes, there is one and only one underworld in a map. It is one separate dimension that is directly tied to the main world via the 1/16 scale.

Yeah, people are thrown off by the "generating terrain" message, but I'm sure it was the first time people were heading into The Slip.

I just tested it.

Building a gate works and you can go though them, but when I went back I reappeared at an utterly different gate some distance away from where I built the gate.

Also, if you enter the Nether with a texture pack installed the new blocks appear as gray placeholder cubes.

Edit: I left to remove my texture pack and now I can't get back on... I guess the minecraft servers just got VERY busy

Can't connect to the server, it says the client is outdated.
Server needs to be restarted.

I just tested it.

Building a gate works and you can go though them, but when I went back I reappeared at an utterly different gate some distance away from where I built the gate.

Also, if you enter the Nether with a texture pack installed the new blocks appear as gray placeholder cubes.

Edit: I left to remove my texture pack and now I can't get back on... I guess the minecraft servers just got VERY busy

They do work. Took me a bit to figure out you need obsidian at the bottom too. Gates are either bugged or my map randomly spawned one. Also, I don't know how it's going to work on multiplayer as it appears to load a different level.

The new hell blocks seem to be glass boxes of gold dust and the dirt is... like bloody meat or something.

Ghasts are huge. Seriously. You don't think so at first until you notice how far away they actually float.

They do work. Took me a bit to figure out you need obsidian at the bottom too. Gates are either bugged or my map randomly spawned one. Also, I don't know how it's going to work on multiplayer as it appears to load a different level.

The new hell blocks seem to be glass boxes of gold dust and the dirt is... like bloody meat or something.

Ghasts are huge. Seriously. You don't think so at first until you notice how far away they actually float.

So I did a test. I destroyed the random gate and tried it again.... when I returned to the above world I appeared at a new gate that was two blocks in front of where the first extra gate appeared.

Also! Set your single player maps to peaceful! If you die right now all your stuff that dropped disappears!

Apparently the "hurt" sound isn't working either.

There appear to be quite a few bugs... but that's to be expected

My client updated again. Also, nothing in hell seems to spawn on peaceful (I figured as such). So on our server you'll only see mobs in dungeons. No, we're not going to change that.

I wonder how long it will take the bugs to be fixed. I'd like it for them to be quick but I also think Notch deserves a break.

The community.

Having creepers wonder around, blowing up peoples hard work doesn't sound like something people would agree on.\\

Edit: I was able to create a portal in The Nether. We should probably come up with some guidelines on portal creating. I forsee random portals popping up in players areas and obsidian is a PITA to remove.

Actually I'm pretty sure we're going to enable mobs once they're properly implemented.

Man, I could have sworn he said he was working on multiplayer for the update. Oh well, time to DDoS him again I guess...

Well I should get to build a portal to hell because I've been working on a demonic castle for the past month!

Painterly pack is updated... One issue I've noticed though is that the grass textures do not extend down the sides of the dirt blocks. It kinda annoying.

I was able to create a portal in The Nether. We should probably come up with some guidelines on portal creating. I forsee random portals popping up in players areas and obsidian is a PITA to remove.
I think the answer to this is to only make gates to the nether in the real world.
No gates are allowed to be made while in the nether. With the exception being, if your entry portal is on the edge of explored space and you are going away from what has already been discovered, then you may make a portal.

Except for the fact that portals seem to spawn themselves when warping back to the real world in single player. :(

Hmm, I think some testing should be done with them in a place that wouldn't matter if they're working in SMP right now. Or just wait until the portals have been ironed out a bit.

Weren't there supposed to be 6 new blocks? I only count three. I'm guessing they were either dropped or I am mistaken.

Back