Halo 2 vs. Half Life 2

ViolenceJack said:
I also fail to see how all the things you mentioned are in fact innovative, i mean vehicles, been there done that. 2 weapons, well limiting weapons, been there done that. Melee attacks, been there done that. Co-op, been there done that. Maybe the controls were but console fps are just generally bad.

I see what you're saying, and agree to some extent.

Many games have used most of these features - but very few have done them well. None have done them all well, and combined them into one fluid experience - with excellent gameplay, challenge, balance, pacing etc etc

User Name said:
Half-Life 2 will 0wn Halo 2 in every way imaginable.

End of thread, discussion, topic, etc...

:rolleyes:

I doubt it :p

ViolenceJack said:
Melee attacks are pretty pointless in a single player game unless they have certain perks. This is generally why games just have like a knife or somin because its just a last resort weapon. Its different for MP games though as you have the humilating values.

If you had played halo very much, you would know that the melee WAS important, especially on legendary. If you could sneek up on something and then melee it in the back, the creature was did, then you could move on to the next creature. Melee was very important in halo.... if you were any good.

Warbie said:
Only being able to carry 2 weapons improved the gameplay considerably.

Melee attacks in Halo are also far from feeble - deadly in both single and multiplayer - defintely a cool addition to the game.

You obvioulsy didn't play it on Legendary (or played the pc version - which is easy) Halo is rightly considered to be one of the hardest shooters around. There's certainly no pc shooter that offers as much challenge.

That's complete rubbish. Co-op is one of the most enjoyable ways to play a video game, being multiplayer with the added immersion and experiences a single player game can offer. Why play alone when you can share? There is massive demand for co-op.

But how many have used them well? Name a good, single player FPS that uses vehicles well. (i'll accept Far Cry - even though, imo, the vehciles were horribly under-used, rather flimsy and handled poorly)

btw - and don't take this thread to mean I think Halo 2 will be better than HL2.

One of the actual main reasons for limiting weapons was probably to make it more user friendly with a gamepad. Imagine trying to cycle through all the weapons. I didnt say melee attacks in Halo were feeble just there isnt much point in them within a single player game which is why most people just throw in a knife or somin.

FPS generally are easier to play on a PC plus you always get that quick save crap which i dislike but how can you not use it.

I was talking about the majority on Coop not you, look at HL and how well Sven coop had done. People still play it but its always had a relativly small audience, like a cult following. Basicly the group that likes coop then the rest prefer blowing other people up with the help of people. Operation Flashpoint used vehicles well.

hehe - ok Flashpoint did :)

However, I don't believe for a second that controller limitation was a reason for the '2 weapon system'. It was definately a good design decision (one I wish more games would utilise)

Surely melee attacks can have a place in a single player shooter if they're done well (especially when they're as useful as they are in Halo)

I completely agree about quicksaving :) - it is the devil!

I think the demand for co-op may be a little higher than you think, though. From Secret of Mana, Diablo, NWN and Halo - co-op has been a feature i've enjoyed with my friends for years. How can enyone enjoy a single player game without loving co-op?

ViolenceJack said:
??? Half-Life didnt have self re-charging on unless your on about armour and the way you can use terminals to charge it up but that wasnt really an innovation.

I also fail to see how all the things you mentioned are in fact innovative, i mean vehicles, been there done that. 2 weapons, well limiting weapons, been there done that. Melee attacks, been there done that. Co-op, been there done that. Maybe the controls were but console fps are just generally bad.

No, Half-Life didn't have a recharging shield. But it did have an HEV system which acted like armour. <- that's probably how I should have said it.

Innovating means taking a concept that HAS been done before and adding to or improving it.
Inventing means making something new.

A True Canadian said:
No, Half-Life didn't have a recharging shield. But it did have an HEV system which acted like armour. <- that's probably how I should have said it.
armor in fps games has been around since doom.

that said, it was the "recharging" bit that really sets halo apart. it may not seem like much, but the recharging shield + the checkpoint saving system adds a lot to the game. essentially, it removes the need for quicksaves, as you never have to worry about being too low on life to survive a single hit. no quicksaves means that you're forced to actually learn the levels instead of brute forcing (ie. shoot, save, walk, save..) your way through. very rewarding on higher difficulties.

The demand for coop is pretty high I believe. Many people went nuts when STALKER devs decided to cut coop from their MP. I personally would like to see co-op done well in more FPS's. HL2 I cant see it being done without a lot of work though. There's some games that just arent meant for Co-op, and HL2 may very well be one of them.

I think about it like this:
HL2 is going to as good as i think stalker will be
and if i compare stalker to Halo 2 i almost feel like laughing at Xbox.
So that means HL2 will be a lot better as well
Halo 1 - NOT INNOVATIVE, apart from excellent controls on an Xbox FPS, and fairly good graphics for its time, it was a fairly standard affair - and it wouldnt have been able to compete well in the PC market i dont think

fantasiser said:
I think about it like this:
HL2 is going to as good as i think stalker will be
and if i compare stalker to Halo 2 i almost feel like laughing at Xbox.
So that means HL2 will be a lot better as well

What the hell are you jibbering about? ;)

A innovation is something that is ahead of its time or something that hasnt been done before or experienced before. Inventing is basicly making something or making something new.

One of the reasons games dont have mega powerful melee attacks is because it would be stupid in alot of cases. With stealth games you usually have powerful melee attacks but its usually if you get the opponent in the back. Imagine if the knife was the most powerful thing in CS, killing in 1 or 2 hits. All the guns were made weaker. This would make it that everytime some one got close to some one they would switch to knife and hit em with that, the guns would just act as tools to weaken the enemy so you would only have to hit em once instead of twice. CS would become worse than what it actually is. Even HL, imagine if the crowbar was one of the most powerful weapons in the singleplayer. It would completely spoil the game, people would run up to grunts and just smack em on the head, even if you had really powerful melee with every weapon would spoil it. The best thing on HL was trying to hide from the grunts and get a few hits on the around a corner, then they started chucking nades at you. It would be crap if you could just run out and 1 hit them with a melee attack.

That's a fairly good point actually- anyone remember Todesangst 2, the HL SP mod? It featured a throwable hatchet as an incredibly powerful crowbar replacement, and although not directly useful in melee the fact that it could be reused meant it dominated the available weapons.

Besides, saying "Half-Life 2/Halo 2 doesn't have this so therefore Half-Life 2/Halo 2 sucks" is daft, because they're two very different games with different aims and different playing styles. Dual wielding, for example, just wouldn't suit the gritty dystopia of Half-Life 2, just as vehicle-smashing walking tripods would look out of place pulverising the Covenant.

crack on the head with a crowbar seems pretty deadly to me.
Gabe spoke of you habving to fix your weapon from time to time did this get scrapped?

...I don't remember Gabe mentioning that actually.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that Valve let game balance get in the way of realism. Besides, who's to say how tough a freakish alien is, or how much force a HEV-suited nerd could apply to the ballistic helmet of a grunt? I remember the crowbar bringing down helmetless soldiers quite quickly actually...

HL2 seems to have a dominent weapon and thats the manipulator. Although you are limited to the surrounding objects but as long as there somin in the room you can fire at some one there isnt much need for gordons crowbar. Thats abit different though.

It wasnt worth your hp/ap to run at a grunt and hit it though. HL was a FPS though, not a FP Beat 'em up.

You can say that any game is different to any other game so saying Halo 2 isnt like HL2 doesnt really fit. All FPS are similar, there not exactly the same as that would be stupid. Doom 3, HL2, Halo 2, Unreal 2, etc. are all similar.

UmbrellaMaster said:
The demand for coop is pretty high I believe. Many people went nuts when STALKER devs decided to cut coop from their MP. I personally would like to see co-op done well in more FPS's. HL2 I cant see it being done without a lot of work though. There's some games that just arent meant for Co-op, and HL2 may very well be one of them.

Actually, HL2 would fit a coop very well, maybe sven will make the coop or at least some one else will. HL2 already has squad based action so if you had a coop thing set at certain scenes of the game would be very good such as those scenes of loads of resistance members attacking the striders. Although the whole game wouldnt fit coop like the begining, it wouldnt be right having 2 gordons in the introduction.

ViolenceJack said:
It wasnt worth your hp/ap to run at a grunt and hit it though. HL was a FPS though, not a FP Beat 'em up.

Sure - but that's HL. Also, the situation you descibe would be dumb in any shooter. Melee attacks are almost always used when sneaking up on an enemy, or when you find yourself toe to toe with one e.g. in the case of Halo - you run out of bullets and instead of waiting to reload you smack your shotgun butt into their face :) (which, let's face it, would smash any skull) or, you can use a melee attack to shock some of the tougher enemies for a valuable second - allowing you to get the killing shot in.

It doesn't stop Halo from being a FPS, but does add more options in combat, more tactics, more skills to learn, and is a great feature.

ViolenceJack said:
You can say that any game is different to any other game so saying Halo 2 isnt like HL2 doesnt really fit. All FPS are similar, there not exactly the same as that would be stupid. Doom 3, HL2, Halo 2, Unreal 2, etc. are all similar.

Are you saying that powerful melee attacks have no place in any FPS? (I appologise in advance if I've misunderstood you)

I agree that a super strong melee attack isn't suitable for all shooters, particularly the ones you mentioned (HL and CS) Of course, that doesn't mean it's a poor feature - far from it. Melee attacks add greatly to both single and multiplayer in Halo. It already works extremely well, debating otherwise is rather pointless.

you mixed my posts up, they were in reply to other people i just didnt quote all them.

I just dont like having melee attacks better than your guns. I mean FPS are generally about guns and to have a free attack that is more powerful that shooting is stupid. The only disadvantage been you have to be standing next to them. It should be a last resort item such as you saying when you run out of ammo you attack but with halo it was soo strong that you stoped shooting and hit them in the face.

Deus Ex had a very powerful melee weapon, not just the fact that you could kill 1 hit in back if they hadnt seen you but thre was the stun prod thingy. cant remember what they called it. That weapon stoped any enemy on the first hit and you could hit em a few more times while they were stunned to KD them. Draw back was that it had ammo though, which was a good thing.

Just think of it as a very short range gun then :)

I don't mind that it isn't realistic - having a powerful melee attack was good fun, both looking and sounding great. It also added something else to make the combat a little different - a little more exciting.

We're talking cyborgs and aliens with energy shields (which melee attacks cut right through - adding a little stratgey) - i think you're being too ciritical on this. You'll want to take lightsabres out of Star Wars next ;)

Either way - the game would have been worse without it's inclusion.

Halo didn't have a set melee weapon; they were all melee weapons.

There was no knife, or shard of glass to cut enemies with. Instead they balanced the melee attack to every single weapon.

Shooter's have always had a weapon to cut up and break things ever since Half-Life introduced the crowbar. That's why I feel that the melee attack in Halo was so innovative. Every weapon was your knife/glass shard (or even stun prod :) ).

And besides, how often are you able to use melee attacks in action shooters anyway? Often times you would be gunned down before you could get close enough to get a swipe in. The melee attacks were powerful because if you did get close enough, you would want to take them down in one hit. It saves ammo and rewards stealthy players.

It was done quite well too. There were enemies who would be sleeping on the job, or walking with their back turned to you. There was even an enemy that was designed to utilize the melee attacks. It was the small guy with the energy shield (forgot the name). One of the only ways to take him down effectively was to run up and give him a quick whack with the butt of your weapon. It would disable his shield and allow you to take him out with little to no ammo.

A True Canadian said:
Shooter's have always had a weapon to cut up and break things ever since Half-Life introduced the crowbar.

This is the only thing in your post I disagree with. HL was not the first game with some kind of melee weapon. Doom 1 or 2 had a chainsaw (I forget which - Maybe even both) along with other older FPS's

I do like Halo's melee attacks. There are parts of the SP I still enjoy playing to see how stealthily I can get through. Many places you can actually avoid fights alltogether (very helpful on legendary) by creeping around hitting enemies in the back.

Halo 2 will be fun with melee attacks too because now there's a weapon made for just that. The energy sword will be tight. You're going to have to keep your distance from a player with the sword because of the possibility of a lunge attack. If you have a shotgun you could probably just blast them in one shot as they lunged at you if you timed it right. I don't think it'll be overpowered for MP. After reading all those IGN MP impression articles...they say the sword is fun...but everyone stops what they're doing to get it from you. You become the badass public enemy no. 1 it seems. That sounds fun :)

EDIT: I'd just like to say...good job people...this is actually staying more civil than I expected it to be. I didn't think this thread would make it to 15 pages before being closed...

EDIT2: What people say about Halo - "Dual wielding is the game's only new feature" - I could say the same for - "HL2's only new feature is the Manipulator/physics implementation" Everyone here would know I'm wrong about the HL2 comment...but lots seem to agree with the Halo 2 comment. From the outside that's what it looks like for both games...but once you look into the games more...then you realize that Halo 2 and HL2 have much more to offer than a Manipulator/physics and dual wielding.

AmishSlayer said:
This is the only thing in your post I disagree with. HL was not the first game with some kind of melee weapon. Doom 1 or 2 had a chainsaw (I forget which - Maybe even both) along with other older FPS's

Ooops. How could I forget the chainsaw. :p

I guess a melee attack is a way of inlficting damage to an enemy without the use of ammo.

Doom also had the fists (with the sharp tacky ring) as well.

Ok...when I made my above post...I hadn't read the whole 15 pages. I guess I assumed that since the thread lasted this long it was civil discussion for the most part. Now I'm annoyed at a bunch of the stuff that was said.

NOTE: Before reading this post...realize that I think HL2's SP will be better than Halo 2's SP but Halo 2 has an MP mode...and it's gonna be awesome - so that's why I am looking forward to Halo 2 more than HL2...that's it. I'm not talking gfx...I'm not talking physics...I talking MP only.

For starters:
Pi Mu Rho said:
HL2 vs Halo2.

Someone tell me - who actually decides the winner?

You can't directly compare facets of the two games.

You can't compare sales.

So what's left?

People are going to pick their own favourite. There isn't, and never will be, a "winner"
There doesn't need to be a winner. Can't we just have a comparison discussion/debate? People discuss politics and world events all the time...but it's not like the "winner" converts the "loser" to a Bush/Kerry voter. People can discuss issues that they know can never result in a definite "win".

She said:
i liked metroid prime alot.. but halo.. i can not understand why halo was such a ""amazing"" game.. it really sucked.
Wow...way to bring something to the table... The whole Metroid Prime comment made tons of sense with the HL2 vs Halo 2 discussion.

Killa_TJH said:
HL2 on the other hand is totally innovative and will revolutionize online and offline gameplay as we know it. When I saw CS:Source, I almost pissed my ****ing pants due to its realism and detail. Truly innovative.
This bugs me as well. People keep adding on tons of things to HL2 to make it seems like such an amazing entity. HL2 is NOT Steam. HL2 is NOT CS:S. HL2 is NOT DoD:S or any other mod coming out. Judge HL2 by what it is...an SP game. The only part we can judge HL2 on is from the point we launch HL2 from Steam to the end of the game...not the community...not the accomplishments that Valve has made in making Steam...just HL2.
HL2 doesn't do jack-squat to revolutionize or even add to the online world. It doesn't have MP of any form. You just get CS:S when you buy HL2. This is so Valve can make the big bucks off the huge popularity of CS.

Warbie said:
I'm glad you mentioned this - as 'screen-peeking' can really add to some games. It's a feature i've enjoyed in titles from GE/PD to Halo and Mario Kart (and the main reason I prefer Mario Kart on the Snes to link up on the GBA. Not being see what your opponent is doing in battle mode really detracted from the experience a great deal - I believe it would have been the same for Golden Eye etc)
I'm pretty sure I see where you're going with this. Console MP games give a more rewarding experience to me sometimes (i.e. Halo) because you are playing with/against your friend...and your friend is playin with/against you in the same room. You work up strategies with your friends to defeat your other friends in the same room on another tv...and they're doing the same to defeat you. PC mp games are mostly everyone out by themselves trying to get the top score..not caring about the team as a whole. This again...is why Halo 2 MP is appealing to me.

Smack500 said:
Why are there still people, that come on this board saying they never beat hl1 because they got stuck somewhere. I can find atleast 10 that have been posted in the last couple days.
Probably because they are stuck on that dumb "puzzle" where you turn on the various power, gas, and oxygen er whatever in the "Blast Pit" (if memory serves me correctly) to kill the 3 headed hydra thingy. My cousin is playing through HL1 and is stuck there right now. I don't think that anyone is stuck because of difficult battles...if they are...I'd like to know where these alleged "difficult" battles are.

ViolenceJack said:
Yeah and why did valve not bother with it in the end, because it is crap. Have you ever heard of gameplay over realism. The stuff you said has been done in many games before Halo. Melee attacks are pretty pointless in a single player game unless they have certain perks. This is generally why games just have like a knife or somin because its just a last resort weapon. Its different for MP games though as you have the humilating values. The majority dont actually much care for coop they prefer to kill each other in a team which is coop its just not shooting AI its shooting other people. Loads of FPS have used vehicles

Halo wasnt challenging at all, the only challenging thing was the controls. How can you say a game is challenging if when you have been hit abit you can just hide for a few secs and your health re-charges.
Halo and Halo 2's two weapon style is very good for SP/MP. Not only is it realistic (I don't care how good that HEV suit is...Gordon can't carry that many guns - this also detracts from the whole "You are actually Gordon" thing that HL does)...but it makes the game more interesting by adding the element of strategy to it. If you see a big group of covenant guys up ahead, you might want to use an alien pistol/human pistol combo. Charge up your alien pistol to take down the elite's shields and pop him in the head with the human pistol (assuming he doesn't dodge the alien pistol shot). The flood on the other hand are more vulnerable to human weapons. Shotgun or pistols would be the weapons of choice most likely. HL you just keep your most powerful weapon out for the harder guys and just kill them with it. Marines and such can be taken down with 1 or 2 shots from the magnum. Since you can hold like 15 weapons at once about...you don't have to worry what you'll be facing next. You just bust out the appropriate weapon...and fire away.

For mp aspects it's better too. You have different wep. combos to fight properly at varying ranges or situations. My personal favorite in Halo is the pistol and shotgun. Some like to snipe a ton...so they go for the sniper rifle and maybe a rocket launcher to fight off ghosts or warthogs that try to flush them out of their sniping spot. It's up to you how you play it. It also keeps the battles more interesting. Instead of busting out weapon after weapon when you are trying to kill someone...you only have 2 weapons and some grenades maybe. It's not who has more powerful weapons...it's who has the better skills with the 2 they picked up for the situation they're in.

If you have played Halo on Legendary you'd realize that melee attacks can save your life... This has already been stated before so I'll leave the melee attack discussion where it is.

That is all for now.

Wow...way to bring something to the table... The whole Metroid Prime comment made tons of sense with the HL2 vs Halo 2 discussion.

then why dont you flame every other person who mentioned Halo1??
or doom, or farcry or.... :|

She said:
then why dont you flame every other person who mentioned Halo1??
or doom, or farcry or.... :|

Because your comment stuck out the most to me as I was reading - finding all the ignorant/lame posts about Halo on the boards would take too long.

I like Optimus Prime...HL2 sucks..I don't get why people like it so much <--- It's just that Metroid or Optimus Prime have nothing to do with what was being discussed and you joined the ranks of schleebs that just post "HALO SUXXORS" (or something to that effect) and give no well thought out reasons why it sucks or why HL2 is so much better.

A True Canadian said:
And besides, how often are you able to use melee attacks in action shooters anyway? Often times you would be gunned down before you could get close enough to get a swipe in. The melee attacks were powerful because if you did get close enough, you would want to take them down in one hit. It saves ammo and rewards stealthy players.

Fair enough stealthy kills as in getting them in the back 1 hit if you are undetected.

amishslayer said:
EDIT2: What people say about Halo - "Dual wielding is the game's only new feature" - I could say the same for - "HL2's only new feature is the Manipulator/physics implementation" Everyone here would know I'm wrong about the HL2 comment...but lots seem to agree with the Halo 2 comment. From the outside that's what it looks like for both games...but once you look into the games more...then you realize that Halo 2 and HL2 have much more to offer than a Manipulator/physics and dual wielding.

You could say that about HL2 and that is far better than duel wield which has been done loads of times and isnt really anything special. All it is, is a look.

From what I understand, each weapon will be controlled by one of the analogue triggers - allowing you to shoot either, or both together.

Pretty neat imo - especially in a title like Halo where each weapon servers a specific function. Stripping shields before eating into someone's health is going to become a whole new art form :)

//On a side note - I just love how grandiose Halo on the XBox feels with the right setup. I squeeze the trigger, feel the pad shake like drill, the alien scum [who look massive on my tele :)] get torn to shreds. The resulting surround sound shakes the room [literally - ask my neighbours XD]

Which is probably why I found Halo on the PC (and many other pc shooters) so average in comparison - even on a 22" monitor it looks tiny. Pushing a mouse button couldn't compete with the sensation of squeezing a trigger and feeling the rumble as much as digital movement can't compete with analogue. In comparison, Halo on the PC was small, tame, sanitary ......... it had no balls.

Of course, I couldn't imagine playing clan matches without a keyboard and mouse - but for single player games (especially ones that focus on immersion, and where twitch aiming isn't necessary) I'd take a decent pad any day.

ViolenceJack said:
Fair enough stealthy kills as in getting them in the back 1 hit if you are undetected.

You could say that about HL2 and that is far better than duel wield which has been done loads of times and isnt really anything special. All it is, is a look.

Melee helps out a lot in other places other than stealth kills too. Say you're charging an elite with a shotgun (on legendary) you drop his shields after a couple shots, but then he gets agressive when you approach him for the killing shot - he starts to swing his arm at you to melee you (extremely deadly in legendary) - Being between shotgun shots (the thing can only fire so fast) you realize you're not gonna get the last shot in before he hits you - you quick melee him, finishing him off or at least stunning him (not the case all the time with legendary) to allow enough time for the final shotgun shot. Melee has more uses than just stealth kills. I like it.

About the 2nd part of your post - You're right. I'd rather have physics and a manipulator than a 2nd gun in my other hand. It doesn't change the fact that I will probably enjoy Halo 2 more simply because of MP. My point in saying that was to show that both statements aren't correct for either game. I hardly consider dual wielding to be the feature Bungie is bragging about the most...it's cool that it's there - it adds more options for players that don't mind missing out on throwing grenades or melee attacks.

Warbie - You're right. Watching the E3 MP demonstration he shows how you can fire one at a time. Gonna be sweet charging up the alien pistol to take down shields then use the other wep to rip the elite apart :) I dunno how much I'll use it though. I've grown accustomed to throwing grenades and melee attacks while I play.

alehm said:

I r teh win!!!1!!111!1! :E

The true winner will be the person that enjoys both games for what they are...or some other kind of silly BS like that :p

Another Half-life 2 vs. Halo 2 thread. I'm not flaming or anything as I like the competiton between games. But I will tell you something..

After HL2 comes out..YOU WILL SEE A HELL OF ALOT MORE THREADS LIKE THESE!! because people actually got to play both games...then this site will have to make a seperate forum called "HALO 2 VS. HALF-LIFE 2." you just wait..if you are one of those people who hate seeing these threads...it's going to get alot worse...

This thread hasn't been so bad - especially towards the end.

Once you get rid of the 'Xbox sux'!! and 'FPS are shit on consoles crowd' (who usually get bored, or run out of things to say, after 1 post) we get some pretty good discussions on this forum :)

You didnt get my post about it been fair enough for stealth kills. Read the quote above it and put it together. I couldnt be bothered to go into detail saying its stupid to also have it where melee is super powerful and making your actual weapon infearier in some cases.

HL2 MP isnt yet finished. Its TF2 well at least i think it is. There are, i believe, rumours of it been linked to the HL2 universe. HL2 in its self doesnt have a MP because it wouldnt really fit. If your going to put MP into the equation then it doesnt really add up properly considering HL2 is a singleplayer game only. SP and MP are 2 different worlds. They seperate games more than different genres do.

Im with the FPS suck on console crowd simply because i cant stand playing FPS with a gamepad.

ViolenceJack said:
You didnt get my post about it been fair enough for stealth kills. Read the quote above it and put it together. I couldnt be bothered to go into detail saying its stupid to also have it where melee is super powerful and making your actual weapon infearier in some cases.

HL2 MP isnt yet finished. Its TF2 well at least i think it is. There are, i believe, rumours of it been linked to the HL2 universe. HL2 in its self doesnt have a MP because it wouldnt really fit. If your going to put MP into the equation then it doesnt really add up properly considering HL2 is a singleplayer game only. SP and MP are 2 different worlds. They seperate games more than different genres do.

Im with the FPS suck on console crowd simply because i cant stand playing FPS with a gamepad.

To the first part - That's fine - I was just adding in that there are more uses for melee in Halo.

I'm not saying one game is better than the other and if TF2 is actually in the HL2 world that'll be cool. I just hope it comes out soon. I just think I'll have more fun with Halo 2 because of the replay value the campaign itself has and the MP that goes along with it.

i'm buying an xbox for halo2 and an 9800xt for hl2 so they've both got my love and devotion come november

Multiplayer is essentially taking the highlights of the single-player experience and repeating them over and over again. The difference being that instead of AI opponents, you now have real people. Strictly combat until one side wins.

It's quite ironic that HLDeathmatch is considered one of the best multiplayer experiences of any First-Person Shooter (at least on this forum), is not even considered with the release of Half-Life 2. Halo was severely lacking in decent multiplayer (no bots and only 4 people, unless you were lucky and linked up many Xbox consoles), but now (the sequel's) it is being praised as quite possibly the best thing to hit the console market (and I'm inclined to agree).

-> Half-Life 2's Single-Player will surpass Halo 2's (we don't know that for sure of course; it could very well be a close fight).
-> Halo 2's Multiplayer will Surpass Half-Life 2's (by default, since Counter-Strike: Source and the others are expansions).

My friend says Halo made Half-Life look bad... He's just a Halo fanboy. ANYONE else think Halo was better than Half-Life??

Ownzed said:
My friend says Halo made Half-Life look bad... He's just a Halo fanboy. ANYONE else think Halo was better than Half-Life??

HALO VS. HALF-LIFE

1. Graphics
Half-Life was released in 1998. Halo was released in the new millenium. Halo looks stunning compared to Half-Life (even with all the updates to Half-Life such as the High-Definition Pack).

Halo: 1
Half-Life: 0

2. Environments
Half-Life's environments consisted of long corridors, and took place almost entirely inside a building. Halo had you venturing to a distant ring-world where climate changes happened sporadically.
Black Mesa had laboratories, test chambers, aquatic areas, parking lots, transit systems, rocket bays, teleportation technology departments and weapons departments etc.
Halo had vast outdoor environments, energy stations, landing pads, control centers, etc.
In the end Halo ran out of interesting environments long before Half-Life did. (the Library level still ranks as one of the worst levels in FPS history :x ).

Half-Life: 1

3. Weapons
The weapons in Halo were nothing spectacular. You had your pistols, rocket launchers, sniper rifles, shotguns, grenades, as well as about 3-4 inventive alien weapons such as the needler.
Half-Life had all these things (except a sniper rifle) and much more. The hive gun (or bee launcher as it is often referred to) is the equivalent of Halo's needler. The Guass gun can be viewed as a much more powerful alternative to the alien pistol. There were also satchel charges, trip mines, even alien creatures called snarks. Half-Life has what Halo has, but more.

Half-Life: 2

In answer to the question stated above, yes I do think that Half-Life was better than Halo. But, that may make the previous, as well as the future comparisons by me...biased. Plus it's 1:30a.m. in Canada now so I don't have the desire to continue anyway. :p

Someone feel free to continue this list. There is tons more to be compared here.

A True Canadian said:
HALO VS. HALF-LIFE

1. Graphics
Half-Life was released in 1998. Halo was released in the new millenium. Halo looks stunning compared to Half-Life (even with all the updates to Half-Life such as the High-Definition Pack).

Half-Life: 0

2. Environments
Half-Life's environments consisted of long corridors, and took place almost entirely inside a building. Halo had you venturing to a distant ring-world where climate changes happened sporadically.
Black Mesa had laboratories, test chambers, aquatic areas, parking lots, transit systems, rocket bays, teleportation technology departments and weapons departments etc.
Halo had vast outdoor environments, energy stations, landing pads, control centers, etc.
In the end Halo ran out of interesting environments long before Half-Life did. (the Library level still ranks as one of the worst levels in FPS history :x ).

Half-Life: 1

3. Weapons
The weapons in Halo were nothing spectacular. You had your pistols, rocket launchers, sniper rifles, shotguns, grenades, as well as about 3-4 inventive alien weapons such as the needler.
Half-Life had all these things (except a sniper rifle) and much more. The hive gun (or bee launcher as it is often referred to) is the equivalent of Halo's needler. The Guass gun can be viewed as a much more powerful alternative to the alien pistol. There were also satchel charges, trip mines, even alien creatures called snarks. Half-Life has what Halo has, but more.

Half-Life: 2

In answer to the question stated above, yes I do think that Half-Life was better than Halo. But, that may make the previous, as well as the future comparisons by me...biased. Plus it's 1:30a.m. in Canada now so I don't have the desire to continue anyway. :p

Someone feel free to continue this list. There is tons more to be compared here.

Half-Life Multiplayer pwns Halo's because there are so many mods!

Back