Halo 2 vs. Half Life 2

Sparta said:
I disagree, i've spent ALOT more time replaying that "Foxtrot" level on Opposing Force and "Surface Tension" on Half-Life then i have playing any Halo level on co-op with my brothers. Personally, i think its because once you master the fast paced action of some of the battles in Half-Life, it becomes so satisfying when you take down a squad of grunts, and a tank, in less then a minute.

Its all subjective in the end though

That's exactly what I don't want. I don't want to be able to figure out how the AI works and exploit it (Killing a squad of grunts and a tank in under a minute would go under "exploiting" if you ask me). The AI in Halo is damn good. I've never really had the same battle twice when playing Legendary. Elites are an enemy to be feared. I can only get through a battle in Legendary quickly if I luck out and plasma grenades I throw stick their targets (rare because elites dodge plasma grenades quite well on Legendary).

Still, tons and tons of old console games are fun like Mega drive(genesis) and snes although there not easy to get hold of now but there are other ways. One good thing about games in those days were they were 10x hard. Smash TV was solid, Thunder Force IV was solid. The streets of rage games were fun and a major un used genre.

I never really figured the AI out in HL. Only real things i figured out was watching for them retreating as you might be running into a nade and pick cover wisely, if its crap you get naded to hell.

AmishSlayer said:
That's exactly what I don't want. I don't want to be able to figure out how the AI works and exploit it (Killing a squad of grunts and a tank in under a minute would go under "exploiting" if you ask me). The AI in Halo is damn good. I've never really had the same battle twice when playing Legendary. Elites are an enemy to be feared. I can only get through a battle in Legendary quickly if I luck out and plasma grenades I throw stick their targets (rare because elites dodge plasma grenades quite well on Legendary).

I hated going up against elites because of that reason. I'd waste so much ammo trying to take them down. The energy rifle (the gun the elites carry) is the best weapon I find. Almost paralyzes them, preventing them from doing those evasive dodges.

Halo 2 will get more sales at first, and there will be more people playing the sp (not as many playing mp) for a year I would say probally. The reason for this though isnt because people like halo 2 better, or halo 2 has some diffrences from hl2 that people like. Its because millions and millions of people dont know anything about pc gaming, or want to put money into their pc for gaming.

No not all console fans are ignorant of pc gaming, but there is alot and I mean alot.

As for my bet above where I said " Ill eat a hat if more people (intellegent people not xbox or halo fan boys) find halo 2 better then hl2." I ment non biased people, once again just like above Im saying a high percentage of console gamers arent even going to be aware of hl2, so of course they will think halo 2 is better.

For those of you mocking me saying its great I can tell whats going to happen in the future. No I cant obviously but just look at the past, shoot look how many people are playing cs:s already. TF2,CS:S, and so many other great mp mods, and they will all be on the pc (where theres tons more people playing online). Not to mention that xbox 2 will be out at the end of the year.

Foxtrot said:
Assuming there will be quality mods, maybe all of them will flop, or making mods is much harder than anyone expected.

How can you say this, when alot of the mods will just updated with a better engine, graphics, maybe vechicles, and/or weapons. Go look at cs:source you can play it now.

Smack500 said:
How can you say this, when alot of the mods will just updated with a better engine, graphics, maybe vechicles, and/or weapons. Go look at cs:source you can play it now.

Yeah, but people have to put that much more work into these improved graphics now. Models will take longer to make. Textures will be expected to be higher quality. Many mod teams may just not be able to handle the extra amount of work it'll take. Mods will definitely come out slower...

I never argued it would take quite some time for new mods to come out, but the game wont be forgotten in that time. Half life attracted some of the best mod teams ever, I dont see HL2 being any diffrent.

so if it comes out 6 months or a year from now millions of people will still love them. Dont you people realize that half life 1 was released in 1998, mods from that game have been in the top 5 10 mp gaming charts since then until now. Thats 6 years of replayability.

AmishSlayer said:
Yeah, but people have to put that much more work into these improved graphics now. Models will take longer to make. Textures will be expected to be higher quality. Many mod teams may just not be able to handle the extra amount of work it'll take. Mods will definitely come out slower...

graphics arnt everything. Ive played HL mods with bad models and maps but the game has been fun. I wouldnt be expecting textures to be high quality its a side issue. Modders could make there game and make it good then tart it up with fancy models and fancy textures later on.

Smack500 said:
No not all console fans are ignorant of pc gaming, but there is alot and I mean alot.

That's a door that definately swings both ways.

Most pc gamers I know, are verry aware of all the big console titles coming out. Half-life 2 is arguably the most aticipated pc game of all time, yet there are tons of console gamers that dont know anything about it.

Seriously how many pc gamers dont know about halo 2 coming out?

well pc gamers are on the internet alot so they see stuff about console games all over it but alot of console gamers either dont have the internet or dont go on alot there for they dont know much about whats going on in the pc gaming world.

why is this thread not locked? there will be tons of mods each better than halo2, and halo2's SP does not match halflife2's genre bending sp. this is stupid.

Subz said:
there will be tons of mods each better than halo2

I highly doubt that.

Subz said:
and halo2's SP does not match halflife2's genre bending sp

You may well be right - but let's all wait untill we've actually played these games, and given them a fair go.

Subz said:
why is this thread not locked? there will be tons of mods each better than halo2, and halo2's SP does not match halflife2's genre bending sp. this is stupid.

Eep! Subz has spoken! We better close this before he gets really cranky! :O

:)

Warbie you have said that there are just as many ignorant pc gamers as their are are console gamers, yet you did not respond to my question.

Smack500 said:
Warbie you have said that there are just as many ignorant pc gamers as their are are console gamers, yet you did not respond to my question.

soz - just hadn't got round to it ;)

And you make a fair point.

But do you agree that there are many 'pc only' gamers who have no idea about console gaming - yet think they do? Criticising game after game (that they haven't played/heard of)

I totally agree that their are quit a lot of ignorant pc gamers who dog console games, even though they dont play any. no doubt about that. ( you can see examples of this several times in this very thread)

But I just dont think there is an even ratio though, I go to college and work. Im very sociable, so I talk to alot of people about games. You might not mean to but you make it sound like its 50:50 thing. When in my opinon its like 70:30 ofcourse Im saying 70 being ignorant console gamers.

I hope you all know when I say ignorant, Im talking about console gamers not knowing about pc gaming, and pc gamers not knowing about console gaming. Im not judging peoples IQ based on what system(s they play on.

Maybe drop by here sometime http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/ :)

Since the Edge forums went down this is the most mature gaming forum i've come across (it may change your mind a little)

It's primarily frequented by console gamers - but there's a few pc guys there (with a tiny section of our own :))

Warbie said:
Maybe drop by here sometime http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/ :)

Since the Edge forums went down this is the most mature gaming forum i've come across (it may change your mind a little)

It's primarily frequented by console gamers - but there's a few pc guys there (with a tiny section of our own :))

Ill take your word for it, but it wont change my mind. I bet theres no more then a hundred or so regular posters, if they are as you say they are. This doesnt mean anything sounds to me you base your opinion on a small minority of console gamers who keep up with things, and go to forums and such. WHile you know for a fact most console gamers dont, you would be an idiot to say/think such.

Its a fact there are tons more children that play console games, and most console gamers are verry casual gamers. They want to come home sit on the couch play for an hour, then go do something else.

I dont see why console gamers fight admitting this stuff so much, there isnt anything wrong with it but its the truth. Console games sell more because of the price of the system they play on, and the media attention that goes into them. Not because the games, or systems are better. Alot I wont say most but verry close to it, of console gamers dont keep up with pc gaming, and dont care to.

But oh well Until a survey or such is released theres no point in argueing over it anymore.

You're reading too much into this. I'm not disagreeing with you, or 'fighting' as you put it.

There's also far more than a few 100 regular posters. I just thought you'd be interested to see a 'mature' forum frequented by console gamers.

Ill check it out later, Im always intrested in posting on informative forums.

I must also apologize for just dismissing it, Im in a mood today (not very many things going right for me).

Back