Has Valve learned from HL1 Multiplayer ?

rebb

Reaction score
Rant ON

I can only hope that Valve will NOT make HL2 Multiplayer as scriptable as HL1 Multiplayer was.
I played HLDM for a long time right after HL got released and everything was cool.
But then certain ppl discovered the possibilities of scripting and aliases.
Thats when things got messy and utterly cheap.
Anyone who played HLDM knows of stuff like "bow-scripts" and the like.
And despite what some ppl ( funny enuff its the ones who use it ) say about scripting, it IS an unfair advantage over Players who dont know about scripting, or dont want to.

So please Valve... keep HL2 Multiplayer "THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED" ( har ).
I dont care about FOV or other personal settings, just make sure that IT CANNOT **** UP THE GAME FOR OTHERS.

Rant OFF

PS:
The scripting im talking about, is a feature of HL1 for queuing up multiple Console Cummands inside of single Custom Commands. I am not talking of any outside cheats or somesuch.

They're hoping that the use of Steam will prevent such things, and at first glance it seems reasonable that it will confound most of your average cheaters. So there's hope. :D

im very curious and excited about what valve has done to multiplayer. im up for something new if they've got it.

Originally posted by rebb
Rant ON

I can only hope that Valve will NOT make HL2 Multiplayer as scriptable as HL1 Multiplayer was.
I played HLDM for a long time right after HL got released and everything was cool.
And despite what some ppl ( funny enuff its the ones who use it ) say about scripting, it IS an unfair advantage over Players who dont know about scripting, or dont want to.

So please Valve... keep HL2 Multiplayer "THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED" ( har ).
I dont care about FOV or other personal settings, just make sure that IT CANNOT **** UP THE GAME FOR OTHERS.

Rant OFF

PS:
The scripting im talking about, is a feature of HL1 for queuing up multiple Console Cummands inside of single Custom Commands. I am not talking of any outside cheats or somesuch.

I completely agree with you...even started my own thread on this long time ago(dunno if it got lost during the host moving though)

just a sec...

Originally posted by Duracell
Crossbow Script?

Whats that?

makes the crossbow shoot as if it was zoomed, just un-zoomed...making you able to make instant hit shots without the impared vision.

and it changes the way the crossbow was intended to work by the developers and give an un-fair advantage to the user of such scripts. in other words it should be considered a cheat or Exploit no matter what people using these scripts say to justify it.

I'm pretty sure he means alias and bind commands.

such as creating an alias to change the fov (feild of view) of your crossbow, to zoom in really close for a better shot with the press of one button, then be able to return to normal view by pressing it again.

There are a lot of alias and bind 'tricks' out there ...

I used to play TFC when it first came out. It was a lot of fun but now days everyone does nothing but use scripts. You have auto-reload scripts, rocket jump scripts, you name it there's a script made for TFC.

On the other hand, I do think some scripting should be possible. I used to have a double tap prime where I would tap my f or g button and it would prime then again to release. I had this cause it was a pain in the ass to hold my f or g button down and press my d button to strafe to the right.

People will use every dirty trick in the book and then lie about it. I mean come on, it's only a game. Self-centered morons everywhere that don't give a shit about anyone but themselves.

Sorry, as you can see i'm a little pissed at humanity.

That's what annoyed me about the original Tribes, people would use scripts like crazy. Some guy would come and steal your flag, activate a script, drop like 4 mines, activate his shield, and fire his disc launcher at the ground all at once.

Keep thinking that's the only reason they're beating you. As long as it makes you feel better about yourself.

You can't use scripts to cheat.. you need cheats to cheat. ;)

Ah, the same old excuse of scripters. It is known too well :)

Some scipting is always nice. I had some non-gameplay stuff for Tribes 2 that I learned to love, but theres always the few out there that are incredibly unfair advantages.

i remember way back when playing quake 3 "the longest yard" against this one guy. I was all like, goddamn you always get the super armor before me.

Then he nonchalantly says, "oh because i have a script that tells me when the armor respawns" Im all like "thats cheating" and he's all like "no its not"

what a bastard

I don't script and I beat people who script all the time. So what. Trust me, you can have all the cheats and scripts and it won't make you a good player. I've played in matches against someone who had wallh4x and an aimbot and still beat them. Afterwards reported them.. lol :p These people who cry like babies because they lost to "scripts" is silly.

Originally posted by Slash
I don't script and I beat people who script all the time. So what. Trust me, you can have all the cheats and scripts and it won't make you a good player. I've played in matches against someone who had wallh4x and an aimbot and still beat them. Afterwards reported them.. lol :p These people who cry like babies because they lost to "scripts" is silly.

You sound pretty l33t....I bet you could rule the world....

If that's the case do you want them to keep out weapon binds as well?
That crossbow script wasn't that big a deal....you could do the same thing if u just hit secondary fire then primary fire really fast. Then bind to another weapon to "unzoom"

Another popular alias was the long jump bind..that combined hitting crouch/jump into one key. Alot of noobs would say that's cheating...but they don't realize that the longjump alias actually gives you less control of your jumping on say....levels like stalkyard.

I never used scripts unless I was charging at a HEV station and it would msg my team that it was me that was charging while actually doing it....I think scripts put a damper on your game and makes it more one dimensional.

-ios

Scripts won't make a difference if you suck at the game. You will still suck. They just make tasks that you do all the time easier. And if it's a complex thing you have to do, scripts won't work or be effective anyways.

I dont care about FOV or other personal settings, just ....

[the bow-script] makes the crossbow shoot as if it was zoomed, just un-zoomed...making you able to make instant hit shots without the impared vision.

Guess which command zooms and unzooms. That's right, the sole command you mentioned you DIDN'T care about. FOV. ROFLOL. FOV is limited in CS, NS, and several other mods. However, Valve left it user definable in HLDM and TFC. Apparently they don't feel that it's that big of a deal.

While you can obviously kill someone even if they are hacking (normally), it doesn't mean you should allow it. It skews the score and sucks the fun out of the game. Its not about how anyone's so good they can stop hackers, its about preventing the hackers in the first place.

Well I use Buy scripts for cs, not beacuse I'm a 1337 h4x0r, but because it's more efficient than going through every f**king menu in the game to get ready. I think by the time you figure out buyscripts you've already mastered buying and it's just a time saver.

Originally posted by InFeRnO
Well I use Buy scripts for cs, not beacuse I'm a 1337 h4x0r, but because it's more efficient than going through every f**king menu in the game to get ready. I think by the time you figure out buyscripts you've already mastered buying and it's just a time saver.

Yar, I use buyscrips too, 'cept I just forget the buttons and buy a deagle instead of other things.

Originally posted by Ahnteis
Guess which command zooms and unzooms. That's right, the sole command you mentioned you DIDN'T care about. FOV. ROFLOL. FOV is limited in CS, NS, and several other mods. However, Valve left it user definable in HLDM and TFC. Apparently they don't feel that it's that big of a deal.

Please learn the rules of a discussion first, before quoting 2 different ppl and making it look like a single person said it.

But youre right, setting FOV to a constant value cant hurt.

The Bow-Script however doesnt rely on FOV fiddlings - it uses the xBow Alternate Fire Command and some other Mojo to make it unzoom quickly.

certain edits I'm OK with.

Examples would be the sheild bind in UT2k3, its useful, and doesn't create an unfair advantage. It actually makes the sheild gun useful.

others, like auto weapon switches, I don't like. (On fire switch to weapons X) or the like

FOV cheats I don't like either, nor many of the ones listed here.
(The timer script, the drop a load of weapons etc)

Of the scripts mentioned, only the longjump script is something I'd agree is OK, only because there are times you need to make a long jump really quickly, and in truth, the average player wouldn't NEED it. But the one where the guy drops mines and such, then activates his sheild in one button press....that is LAME!

Scripts give unfair advantages. A simple example: the jump-crouch script. Now this is a very simple script, but in the heat of the game, the scripter only has to press one button to execute a jump crouch, where the vanilla player is skilled enough to press jump and then immediately press crouch. Maybe the guy using the script doesn't know how to do that as efficiently? Maybe he will fumble around with two keys and fall of a ledge or something if it wasn't for his script? It's as simple as that.

i have emailed Valve about this scripting issue.. some pple believe its not cheating while others who do not use it are left to deal with unfair advantages..

if the game dev. views it as exploiting/cheating then theres no "if's, "and"s or "buts" about it..

i also asked in the email that if it is viewed as exploiting/cheating, about what Valve is doing to avoid this scripting siutation from happening.

my personal opinion: pple who use scripts are lazy pple.. who do not want to press the number of buttons required for the desired action..

i heard all kinds of excuses.. "i can use the normal button settings but why should i, when i spent the time to learn to script?" if ur going to play the game, play it the way the game dev. made it.. nowhere in the HL manuls does it say "oh, for ur convinence we have also added this feature that allows u to make ur own scripts" if it does, SHOW ME

anyway, hopefully Gabe responds (yes he was the one i emailed :p) because this has been bothering me each time i think about HL2 DM or the likes..

There is an even easier way to remove the need for scripts: Removing all the extremely moronic movements and things you can pull off :dozey:
I for one has never seen a guy jumpcrouch in my little life on this earth. I have seen the Quake movie where they sidestep, lag and fall down a stair, and open doors while crouching, but I dont think they ever jumpcrouched :)

The only thing I have EVER had the need to script, is preset communications. Everything else is definable by the game. The only said part was that the game I wanted that script for, was BF1942. My guess is that they still havent added it, they are still fiddling with patches that ruin the game instead of adding a little key bind to string/sound feature.

It is true that there are 2 types of scripting in games.

Non-abusive Scripting doesnt cause any unfair effects when playing against non-scripted Players and is there to solely supplement the useability of the Game itself. Stuff like Comm-Scripts come to mind.

Abusive Scripting however DOES affect the chances heavily by making it possible to pull off moves at the push of a button which ( by the design of the game ) normally need actual skill to execute.

It is true that there are 2 types of scripting in games.

Non-abusive Scripting doesnt cause any unfair effects when playing against non-scripted Players and is there to solely supplement the useability of the Game itself. Stuff like Comm-Scripts come to mind.

Abusive Scripting however DOES affect the chances heavily by making it possible to pull off moves at the push of a button which ( by the design of the game ) normally need actual skill to execute.

okay.. i understand what ur trying to say here..

but if ur Valve, how are u gonna get rid of "abusive" scripts and keep the "non-abusive" scripts? moreover, if Valve does come up with a solution and have ur "non-abusive" scripts.. its going to be much harder to control/avoid those "abusive" scripts because.. its like cheating.. pple always find a way to come up with a newer version of OGC

i know what ur gonna say next "but with no scripts, pple will still find a way to script anyway" well to that i say, Valve would make things alot tougher if all scripting was avoided all-together as opposed to having "some" scripting which makes it easier to find ways for those other "abusive" scripts..

ur scenerio sounds great for a perfect world.. but this isn't it :(

I didnt start the topic to discuss third-party-cheats.. and Steam is -supposed- to help fighting them ( at least that is hoped ), what i tried to make clear is that scripting itself isnt automatically bad, its what power the developers give to the scripts.

I guess it wouldnt bee too hard to make the script-parser filter out certain commands that could be used for unfair scripts.

Lets see what answer your mail yields.

So, uhm, has that Mail possibly been answered ?

Rant ON

Rant OFF

PS:

Want to play me in HLDM? I will play with my binds and go easy on you. Hell I scroll for my weapons, your still not gonna beat me so quit whinning about something you cannot do yourself. I like the feature in HLDM with autoexec.cfg and config.cfg, I cannot stand normal controls therefor I use what I can. No its not an unfair advantage, its people using what was built with the game.

Back