Hazard Course

Yellonet

Reaction score
Will there be one? I sure hope so.
If there is a Hazard Course, how will they put it into context?
In HL it was pretty obvious, the HC was a thing that all new employees in BMRF was obligated to take.

BTW, why was shooting a MP5 with grenade launcher in the HC.. Gordon's a scientist! Oh well :cheers:

So, my question is; how will a HC be done, what will you do and how does it fit with the (as much as we know of it) story?

Not sure... I dont think anyone is... were just going to have to wait untill its released.

The real question is : Are you still going to be able to control the NPC's and give them orders like the beta was, supposidly.

Having a Hazard Course seems weird... but since we don't really know how the story goes... I guess it could happen. It could work in one of those labs we've been seeing in the movies I guess... I assume these act as some sort of "home base", and that you'll be there pretty close to the beginning.

Letters said:
Having a Hazard Course seems weird... but since we don't really know how the story goes... I guess it could happen. It could work in one of those labs we've been seeing in the movies I guess... I assume these act as some sort of "home base", and that you'll be there pretty close to the beginning.
Yeah... and then you could do the HC when you've played a while. That could work :)

i think they'll be a small hazard course... the first part of the game is just walking around, not too hard for the casual newbie, then before you get to shooting or more complicated activities, im sure the game will teach you somehow.

hmm.. i dont know... to enter city-17 you have to take a "test" or the combine or G-mans employers wants to see if you are fit after all these years.... hmm

There was one in the leak. Not to post spoilers just answering the question. It was just a random map you could load. Showed how to do the basics plus some pretty cool stuff.

There prob will be some sort of training course but since he's part of a rebel like faction I doubt there will be anything along the lines of the HC.

YOu might just have to follow someone through a lil course to get to the underground base or something like that.

I think the best idea will be that the hazard course was a dream,considering that freeman has "sleep" all that years

in cronichles of riddick:escape of butcher bay begin whit a tutorial level that is a "dream" and after complete riddick awake and it the game continue

youll probably start the game w/ no weapons, look and learn about the story. then sometime later you get an in game training course, when you get weapons

dudeman2000 said:
youll probably start the game w/ no weapons, look and learn about the story. then sometime later you get an in game training course, when you get weapons

You start the game in a train just like HL1 (been stated before from Valve peeps) and get your suit later

also if you'll remember the Hazard suit wasnt part of the story or plot just a side task that you could choose to do at the beginning of the game.

My point: It might not be merged into the plot at all.

i hope it has a Hazard Course.. i think it was one of the unique things about HL at that time...surely Valve have done something to make HL2 as unique as HL was. :)

im guessing the hazard course will probably be some crap about 'refreshing your memory' or 'making sure ur reflexes are still sharp'. something along those lines if there is a hazard course, that will be how they fit it in.

DrPowers said:
Not sure... I dont think anyone is... were just going to have to wait untill its released.

The real question is : Are you still going to be able to control the NPC's and give them orders like the beta was, supposidly.
I'd watch what you say about the Beta. That's how I got banned.

EDIT
-----
I meant BetaMaster, not me!

im sure theyll put in something clever for a hazard course. i really liked the first one, but i have a feeling that the one in HL2 will be in-game.

I will play the course before I start playing, but I will be so amazed(I hope), that I will end up only playing the Hazard Course and not the real game

I just hope the game lives up to the majority's expectations. I know most people will be satisfied, but some people have sat in their rooms reading about HL2 and their mind warped it into something that it never could be.

Yeah, so I just finished reading LotR, that comment had nothing to do about Golem!

And I think that there will be a hazard course, probably in a way that you can play it before you play the game, or get to it in-game at the lab so that the scientists can "make sure you're fully-functional".

Why'd everybody saying HL2 will be out in November, though? Very few people even mention October.

Guys, you have to remember, the HC has to be SEPERATE from the game. Meaning it will have to be something in a dream state, before Grodon wakes up in in the train. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but he will wake up there. Starting in a train.. Like Valve said he would)
So something in a dream state would be my best guess.

Why'd everybody saying HL2 will be out in November, though? Very few people even mention October.

Nobody really knows anything, so it doesn't really matter.

I think they won't go for an old style tutorial level, there are numerous other possibilities which are more fun to experience. It might even start during or after the interrogation... or like mentioned before a dream.

However, I don't think this will be on the train, I have a feeling they will let you arrive like in HL 1, on the way to the station.

er..why would it have to be a dream? If he wakes up in the train with the suit on...maybe they make some kind of upgrade to it then? then get you to do test or omsehting? If they make it part of the game that is.

I think Gordon should have a mansion where he can run and climb and shoot. He should also have a butler that he can lock in the freezer.

kaf11 said:
im sure theyll put in something clever for a hazard course. i really liked the first one, but i have a feeling that the one in HL2 will be in-game.
I really don't like in-game hazard courses and, annoyingly, most games do that now. It's definitely an important thing to have and to play through, but it shouldn't be integrated as the first level or whatever - it gets a bit tedious.
However perhaps it will be in-game, seeing as the hazard suit has changed, so Gordon'll have to get re-acquainted with it.
Well, some people know already, clearly...

Torre said:
It might even start during or after the interrogation...
How can they make it in the interrogation!?
The hazard course is SEPERATE from the game.
What is so difficult to understand?
The HC is meant for people who HAVEN'T played FPS's, so how would they know how to walk through the trainstation!?

It isn't going to be in the middle of the bleeping game.

Plus, why the hell would they put you through a course like that as part of interrogation? What does that have to do with anything?

And how would they weapon train you? "Here, take this MP7, but don't shoot us, shoot the targets."

Think a little more. Just run through what you said in your mind before you hit that Submit Reply button. Does it make sense?

Edit: And no, he doesn't wake up with the suit on. That doesn't make sense either. You think the combine will let some guy with a High Tech suit walk around, while everybody else is wearing uniform... well, uniforms?

<RJMC> said:
I think the best idea will be that the hazard course was a dream,considering that freeman has "sleep" all that years

in cronichles of riddick:escape of butcher bay begin whit a tutorial level that is a "dream" and after complete riddick awake and it the game continue
To be honest. That idea sucks. Sorry :cheers:

Ingame tutorials can be good, it all depends on how subtle they implement it.

And uhm I went from the perception of a ingame tutorial, rather then a HC. Why? I guess I just like it better that way.

Torre said:
I hope you're not referring to me, cuz i know s**t :)

Ingame tutorials can be good, it all depends on how subtle they implement it.
To me it would be really annoying if I had to start a whole new game, and play through, JUST to get to the hazard course. And it will also be stupid to have to play thorugh it everytime you start a new game.

Dream state is looking very possible, and imagine all the cool FX they can incoperate into it?

el Chi said:
I think Gordon should have a mansion where he can run and climb and shoot. He should also have a butler that he can lock in the freezer.
Tomb Raider, eh?

Well, that's what i mean by subtle. Done well enough, it wouldn't bore having to play it over and over while replaying the game.

Btw, what's the hostility for?

Nah I think a "dream state" one would be very ropey and HL doesn't seem to be that sort of game so much.

el Chi said:
Nah I think a "dream state" one would be very ropey and HL doesn't seem to be that sort of game so much.
Exactly. Dream-thingies are the cheapest things around... :angry:

When you finish the Hazard Course, you should wake up in the shower - you slipped, fell and knocked yourself out - how do you know what's real anymore?

el Chi said:
When you finish the Hazard Course, you should wake up in the shower - you slipped, fell and knocked yourself out - how do you know what's real anymore?
Yep, that seems to be a good solution.

Back