HD Pack and Steam

Narcolepsy

Reaction score
I've finally gotten Steam to work after downloading the Steaminstal_cs.exe file (if you don't have it, you need it), and Half-Life works great.

However, I'm reluctant to play it, because my non-steam version of Half-Life has the HD Pack, and once you've tried it, there's no going back. So, does anyone know of any way to get the HD pack on Steam?

Thanks for any help.

just worked this one out , pretty simple to do.

first find your pak1.pak in your old valve dir, now your gonna need this pak explorer
now just open the file into that and drag and drop the dirs into your steam/steamapps/your@emailaddy/half-life/valve directory

just tested this on a dm server, worked like a charm :)

can i please get a zip with that hd pack? :)
had it before.. but after some formats i lost it :\
msg me the link or something please

Hey, thanks a lot. I figured that it was impossible. :bounce:

where can i get the HD pack? ive heard a lot about it, never seen it

Buying Blue Shift is the only way I know of. I got it for $12 at Babbages. Don't pay too much for it though- the new single player thing is fun, but way to short.

I'm getting nothing with just moving the contents of the pak. file to that location---or do i have to do it differently if i want to get the HD pack working in singleplayer??

My orig. HL does'nt work anymore after installing/updating steam, so its pretty annoying that i can't get the HD pack to work with steam.

Any ideas??

I know it would be warez to actually send me the HD pack, so could I just get some screenies of th new models? I would love that as I don't own Blue Shift and would like to see what the fuss is about.

Originally posted by scribblehead
I'm getting nothing with just moving the contents of the pak. file to that location---or do i have to do it differently if i want to get the HD pack working in singleplayer??

My orig. HL does'nt work anymore after installing/updating steam, so its pretty annoying that i can't get the HD pack to work with steam.

Any ideas??

worked fine for me, i moved over three folders i believe, models, sprites, and sounds....loaded up HL, started a new game, went to the hazard course and enjoyed the HD models.

Originally posted by Xtasy0
worked fine for me, i moved over three folders i believe, models, sprites, and sounds....loaded up HL, started a new game, went to the hazard course and enjoyed the HD models.

it does **** for me...oh well i guess i'll be playing with the old models then...no biggie

Worls for me :) Seriously I don't know why they don't use the HD pack for those that have never played or are trying Half life for the first time. The models are so much better than the original. I just can't think of playing the game without the HD pack.

I don't understand why it wouldn't work - just move the three folders to the Valve directory in the Half-Life folder in Steam. You did get pak explorer, right?

Jsut on the link above that Snappy posted. and follow the instructions that Extract it and and just copy and paste or grab and drag in th valve folder on the steamapps folder. Worked like a charm.

yeah i did get the pak explorer....and still, moving those folders get me nowhere, its really ****ing getting on my nerves...

Scribblehead, I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you have the HD pack? I mean, maybe Blue Shift got uninstalled or something, because I see no conceivable reason that this method would not work. You are getting pak1.pak from the Half-Life/Valve directory, right?

just remember that Blue Shift patch 1.001 also patches the HD pack and doesn't put the new files into pak1 but to the outside model folder
so first put unpacked pak1 to stem and then the models gfx and sprites folders that reside in HL's valve directory outside of the pak files

Zoom;

Yes i have the HD pack installed.

And yes i'm copying the folders from the pak1.pak, from the half-life/valve folder....

I haven't patched blue shift so i don't think thats part of the problem.

I really can't see whats going on, and why it does'nt work---this whole mess is making my friggin' balls twitch!!

Hey thanks guys, I've had Blueshift for more than a year now, and I've never installed the HD pack, just tried it out and it works fine : )

Screeny for those missing out :D

Back