HDR... in or not?

In the end, making it an option that can be toggled in settings would probably be the best choice for many. This, of course, is not all that reasonable of a procedure, but so far HL2's graphics look superb. If I will be losing a significant amount of performance (As in, the game being relatively unplayable) for HDR, when similar, but not equal, effects are achievable at a lower performance cost, I would go for the non-HDR route. Also, many users will not be upgrading, or cannot afford to upgrade, and therefore will probably not be able to experience the game as much as the elite few. But Valve may have more tricks up their sleeves.

Big Fat Duck said:
hdr is that shit that glows and that shiny shit on the floor and walls

No, it is not.

Read the thread. There are several really good explanations on what HDR is. I'm also sure that this thread also has some really good explanations on that "stuff that glows" (bloom effect) and "that shiny stuff too" (specular highlights).

I have a headache from reading this thread. Not because it's confusing, but because of all the false information...I'm glad it was finally corrected but even after the corrections it's still going on...

I don't understand why people feel the need to explain graphic techniques to people when they don't know what the technique actually is...please don't answer someone when you aren't sure your answer is correct...

Back