Healthcare Poll

Why are 49% of Americans against the current healthcare bill?

• 49% of Americans hate poor people.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • 49% hate taxes.

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • FoxNews is getting better at mind control through television.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • 49% like the idea, but don't like the current version of the bill.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Something abortion-related.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 49% don't like the idea of the government forcing a citizen to purchase something.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • They got confused by the poller, but really are for the bill.

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
Now everyone is required to purchase healthcare, yet the gov't doesnt offer the public option. So they must purchase from the private companies.

Oh, that makes sense. I can understand people having a problem with that. As for the public option, why wasn't it included? I assume its because the health care plan would never have passed if it was included, but is that an accurate assumption?

That would be a safe bet. The idea now is to fine the private insurance companies out of existance, and then the government will step in and be the sole provider.

Corporatism stirs up paranoia about the big ol' government coming in and monopolising the free market away, when really it's just that the corporations can't play nice (i.e. not destroy competitors to, gasp, monopolise the market!) and keep their industries/markets functional without heavy regulation.

Apologies for the sass.

There are laws preventing monopolies here in the US.

Too bad the enforcers are paid off by the companies they monitor.

There is corruption and people using power (political or economic) to unfairly gain what is not theirs. Its up to the people to help keep the balance of power. Too little regulation and companies abuse the consumer and frightfully control the government. Too much government power and they become tyrannical squashing both our freedom and economic freedom.

We just disagree where the balancing point is.

Have any proof of this statement?
Took me twenty seconds using Google and Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_antitrust_law#Exemptions_to_antitrust_laws
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarran-Ferguson_Act
It appears they're partially exempt from them, but not totally. They're supposed to be governmentally regulated instead, but how well the US government regulates them is another matter entirely. From some of the stories I've heard, I would guess not very well.

Oh, that makes sense. I can understand people having a problem with that. As for the public option, why wasn't it included? I assume its because the health care plan would never have passed if it was included, but is that an accurate assumption?
I believe the government will subsidise people who cannot afford their own insurance. It also requires any company that employs more than fifty people to provide insurance for for their employees, so a lot of people will get coverage that way for free.

That would be a safe bet. The idea now is to fine the private insurance companies out of existance, and then the government will step in and be the sole provider.

Oh no, not a roundabout attack for single payer, seriously, so far this is just regulation, get your head out of the ass and just like cars, everyone being insured with regulation leads to decent prices and lack of abuse

^ I was trying to find that post earlier

Ridge, with 47 + million new customers, it's probably not bad news for insurance agencies.

How in the hell do you even make that jump? The public option was killed because Obama made a deal with hospitals and doctors that it would not be included. If they couldn't get a weak public option that would have covered less than 3% of the population how in the hell do you then jump to the conclusion that they will take over the entire system?

Finally you really have no right to bad mouth single payer as you bailed out of the last discussion on it since you had no real argument.

Back