Heh, HL2 losing mod teams right and left.

CyberSh33p said:
bah. screw you :(

I was talking hypothetically, is that what you wanted to hear?! ;(

I was kidding cybie :) You know you're my bestest friend (... lol)

Rupertvdb said:
but then again..... HL2 shall be so overflooded with mods that it won't even be funny, this may well be the greatest gaming generation yet!

An oversaturation of mods somehow doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Diversity's a good thing, but it just seems to me that maybe having too many mods going on at once might be a bad thing.

Not terribly sure why I think that...maybe the communities would be smaller, or people will only group to certain mods (like it is today with HL), leaving some mods with little-to-no fanbase. I mean, currently, there are really only five mods that get any substantial play: CS, DoD, NS, TFC, and TS.

Maybe I'm just being a pessimist. :p

Morithacus said:
What type of mod are you tinking of making?

Sorry my reply to this is so late.

Basically it's a magic vs. tech third-person combat mod. We don't have a web site (I don't like mods that try to build up hype before they have anything done) and we aren't really publicizing it. I want to get a great deal of quality work done before we start announcing anything. Then we'll make a web site.

I hate sites with tons of unskinned models, broken links, "This page coming soon". So the site will come later, work on the mod comes first.

We decided on Source for several reasons when we first heard about HL2 in 2003 and we're committed to the engine. There are several things we want to try with the engine. But overall we want our mod to be fun, and hopefully a little bit different than all the CS clones. We have a lot of time to work on it and like I said, I want really high quality stuff if we can get it. The hardest part will be finding good modelers (the only part of the team we don't really have).

i have to say, if there is still no sign of an sdk after e3 then I will be switching engines for my Dawn of the Dead mod.

dude, you'll just be one less that shall be replaced by hundreds more, if you were committed to your mod you would have chosen the best engine first and would wait for it as it would do the job the best. Moving just implies a lack of commitment

Maybe I stated the above comment slightly wrong. Trust me, if you knew how much work has been put into this mod so far you would never question my commitment to the project. There would still be a high possibility of the mod being developed for HL2, but the point is that if there are no announcements at E3 (and this doesnt include Doug's usual "oh it's sooon..." statements) then I will just be exploring other options, to see if my vision can be carried through to another engine. My only lack of commitment is to the HL2 engine. I started planning this mod in july of last year and have been waiting since for at least an sdk, but im just begininng to run out of patience, especially with 2005 rumours staring up. Anyway, this is one for the fans, and if my vision cant be held up by other engines, then I will be happy to wait.

The 2005 rumours have been thoroughly debunked.

i applaude any modding team who leaves HL2 because of disappionting release dates. that means they mean buisness and will not hold out on. they also show that they will not wade on VALVe hand and foot, and do have other options.

its also fun to watch all the HL2 fanboys try and argue when a mod team leaves with "its ok theres other mods teams to, nay nay blah blah" i get a real kick out of those. then they act as if they aren't bothered, but its easy to tell they are with there constant feelble tries with justification.

i applaude any modding team who leaves HL2 because of disappionting release dates. that means they mean buisness and will not hold out on.

Or it could mean that they'll jump ship at the slightest setback.

they also show that they will not wade on VALVe hand and foot

I'm not entirely sure that you know what that means. It certainly doesn't fit in this context.

its also fun to watch all the HL2 fanboys try and argue when a mod team leaves with "its ok theres other mods teams to, nay nay blah blah"

Name one highly-anticipated HL2 mod that's switched to another engine. Also, mods don't drive sales (with the exception of counterstrike), so if you're making a mod for a game that isn't enormously popular, chances are that you'll be one of a very small group of people playing it.

get a real kick out of those.

Those long nights must just fly by.

then they act as if they aren't bothered, but its easy to tell they are with there constant feelble tries with justification.

Gosh, yes. All those mods leaving HL2 is keeping me awake at night. Why on earth would anyone be "bothered"? Some people are citing it as an example of HL2 losing popularity - that's what people are arguing against.

I think you'd be very hard pressed to find a single person that was actually bothered by a mod team switching to another engine.

Pitbul said:
i applaude any modding team who leaves HL2 because of disappionting release dates. that means they mean buisness and will not hold out on. they also show that they will not wade on VALVe hand and foot, and do have other options.

its also fun to watch all the HL2 fanboys try and argue when a mod team leaves with "its ok theres other mods teams to, nay nay blah blah" i get a real kick out of those. then they act as if they aren't bothered, but its easy to tell they are with there constant feelble tries with justification.

Yeah becuase valve owes this game to us as soon as possible. We have a right to that SDK.

Its also fun to watch the people that feel valve should be on there knees sucking your cock. "i applaude any modding team who leaves HL2 because of disappionting release dates."

ahahah..your not a hippocrit are you.... the only ones making a big deal about mods leaving are the anti-hl2 fanboys.

you know... Painkiller might be a mindless action game (fun but very repetitive), but it's engine is fantastic.
renders fast, runs great, awesome texture clarity, nice effects /particle/weather/shader great physics, awsome way of stuff blowing up (actual model chunks.. like gibbing something it gibs the parts its made up of, instead of random gibs) also the breaking apart of objects is physically simulated (more impressive than you would think) and the ragdolls although a bit "spinny" (a tiny bit light) are the best I have seen in a game thus far.
I recommend the two demos, if nothing else.. just to check out the engine.

too bad there was no coop in Painkiller... for a Serious Sam inspired game, one would think it would be a must.

oh and on topic:
yeah the mod I been looking forward to since they came out, switched to Farcry, I own farcry so its no big deal... but HL2 just lost an awesome looking mod.
Incorporated.
http://www.incorporated-hl2.com/

I think its kinda stupid to change engine when you dont know what the engines can do. You dont have the SDK to any of the engines. Isnt it better to just wait for the engines to come out and THEN think about which engine you want to use?

Only one of the mods I'm at is considering "alternatives" to the Source engine.

There are still some with faith... :cheers:

Hmmm... looking at what the vids show me about what Source can do, I think "The Ascendancy Machine" might get a resurrection...

One point I haven't seen brought up is the fact that I'm more interested in seeing what Valve does with the Source engine than what some amateur developers working in their spare time can do. Given that, I'd be perfectly happy even if a single mod was never developed for Half-Life 2.

Pitbul said:
its also fun to watch all the HL2 fanboys try and argue when a mod team leaves with "its ok theres other mods teams to, nay nay blah blah" i get a real kick out of those.
And I suppose you have some actual rebuttle to that statement other than your general amusement? Or are you really implying that every mod teams that "leaves" Half-Life 2 won't be replaced by another, ever?

As I said before, there are constantly new mods starting up, and selecting engines. It's not like, if HL2 comes out in 2008, that it will by then have run out of people who would mod for it. Games come out when they come out, and people choose to mod for them when they are available. It's the same with every game, not just HL2. The only thing different about HL2 is that I think a lot of teams decided to plan to mod on Source in what proved to be very early, long before it actually came out, and there was an extremely high level of interest.

Of course, bits and pieces of the SDK are ALREADY out: the XSI conversion, for instance, and the older versions of Hammer can save files that the newer Hammer can easily convert, minus the entities and textures.

As for Doom3, the engine isn't technically limited in the sense that HL1 isn't limited in the number of polygons it can have. But because of the very high performance issues, the realistic limit is going to be low. It's just not the kind of game, on current hardware, that can support vast battlefields like a DoD or even a Natural Selection (though damn would NS be cool on that engine!!!) And because it isn't server/client, I still don't see how it is going to scale well, no matter what Carmack says.

Apos said:
As for Doom3, the engine isn't technically limited in the sense that HL1 isn't limited in the number of polygons it can have. But because of the very high performance issues, the realistic limit is going to be low. It's just not the kind of game, on current hardware, that can support vast battlefields like a DoD or even a Natural Selection (though damn would NS be cool on that engine!!!) And because it isn't server/client, I still don't see how it is going to scale well, no matter what Carmack says.

You forget that technology increases at an exponential rate. Three years down the road, the "low end" computers will be powered by Radeon 9800 and Geforce FX 5950's. If anything, the Doom3 engine is built to scale well as time goes on.

I'm sorry, but that's just not realistic. The key to having those big time mods is for there to be a wide user base that can play them. You don't want system specs that require highest speed broadband and high level computers only.

Anyway, that's not what scale well means. Simply betting on being able to run something widely three years in the future is not "scaling well." Given that other engines will already scale far better to much larger bases of users, as WELL as adding graphical wow to the high end, as WELL as having netcode designed to handle large numbers of people easily, what's the point? Heck, just the lack of support for and strengths in wide open spaces vehicles is enough to turn most people to UT2K4, Far Cry, Stalker, and other engines.

Doom3 was just not designed or intended to be a huge MP mod game, which isn't a bad thing at all. It was designed to be the ultimate SP suspense/horror/action game, and I have little doubt that it will be. But it will primarily fall to later releases like Quake4 and id's later engine to focus on multiplayer stuff in the id line.

blahblahblah said:
You forget that technology increases at an exponential rate. Three years down the road, the "low end" computers will be powered by Radeon 9800 and Geforce FX 5950's. If anything, the Doom3 engine is built to scale well as time goes on.
Updating to get the newest technology so that people can play the latest games is very expensive.

Fact is that is the main reason many people switch from PC to console games, its just too expensive to keep up to date. So just because technology is increasing at a certain rate doesn't mean the average game buyer will have that technology at the same time.

Apos said:
I'm sorry, but that's just not realistic. The key to having those big time mods is for there to be a wide user base that can play them. You don't want system specs that require highest speed broadband and high level computers only.

Anyway, that's not what scale well means. Simply betting on being able to run something widely three years in the future is not "scaling well." Given that other engines will already scale far better to much larger bases of users, as WELL as adding graphical wow to the high end, as WELL as having netcode designed to handle large numbers of people easily, what's the point? Heck, just the lack of support for and strengths in wide open spaces vehicles is enough to turn most people to UT2K4, Far Cry, Stalker, and other engines.

Doom3 was just not designed or intended to be a huge MP mod game, which isn't a bad thing at all. It was designed to be the ultimate SP suspense/horror/action game, and I have little doubt that it will be. But it will primarily fall to later releases like Quake4 and id's later engine to focus on multiplayer stuff in the id line.

Not to be sarcastic, why doesn't some mode team take the Quake/Quake 2 engine (for free because of GPL) and make a mod/game where there are hundreds of people in it. The graphics wouldn't be the prettiest, but with proper texturing, I think they could be decent. The only thing they would probably have to rewrite is the netcode, but the online battles would be incredible.

Honestly, neither you or me know what the Doom3 engine is fully capable of. It could be limited like you think it is, or it could be much more capable like I think it is. Nobody knows. What we do know is that Doom3 (the game) will be an indoor game, while Quake 4 (a Doom 3 powered game) will have vehicles in it.

blahblahblah said:
Not to be sarcastic, why doesn't some mode team take the Quake/Quake 2 engine (for free because of GPL) and make a mod/game where there are hundreds of people in it.
Because current technology would be unable to support a battlefield with hundreds of opponents over a remote network. The network lag alone would make the game unplayable, not to mention trying to render potentially dozens of characters on the screen at once. Heck, folks already have trouble with 32 player UT2004 matches, and it has great netcode.

What we do know is that Doom3 (the game) will be an indoor game, while Quake 4 (a Doom 3 powered game) will have vehicles in it.

DidI not just say that Quake4 would likely be the game that id's MP mod platform would rest on? I'm pretty sure I said something like that. Oh yeah, this: "But it will primarily fall to later releases like Quake4 and id's later engine to focus on multiplayer stuff in the id line."

So. There.

PiMuRho, your iron thumb and harsh attitude aren't really required.
Also, I dont recall 2005 being "thoroughly debunked". Unless you include "circle logic created by die-hard HL2 fans" as thorough.

Mountain Man said:
Because current technology would be unable to support a battlefield with hundreds of opponents over a remote network. The network lag alone would make the game unplayable, not to mention trying to render potentially dozens of characters on the screen at once. Heck, folks already have trouble with 32 player UT2004 matches, and it has great netcode.

although Battlefield 2 scheduled for next year (according to an interview with DICE) will have battles of 100 people... if thats true we may be getting closer :)

also I wouldnt be surprised to see HL2 evolve into having more and more players capable of playing in one match. (Valve stated "at First" they would support 32 players, beyond that they couldnt say)

The original post is probably the dumbest shit I have ever read in my life. How are they losing mod teams left and right? The Far Cry, Doom 3, STALKER, etc. SDKs ARE NOT OUT YET EITHER. The fact is that the Source engine is THE best engine we've seen so far, bar none.

Xcellere said:
The fact is that the Source engine is THE best engine we've seen so far, bar none.

How do you know? We haven't seen it yet.

Unreal Engine 3.0 is the best so far. It looks cinematic, like F*CKING cinematic

Wesisapie said:
Also, I dont recall 2005 being "thoroughly debunked". Unless you include "circle logic created by die-hard HL2 fans" as thorough.
It turns out Gabe made that statement months ago, so it really has no meaning right now. Thats how it was debunked.

Don't believe the rumor was debunked see this thread:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20983

And this from Gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/23/news_6094509.html

Wesisapie said:

Or the mail from Gabe saying that it isn't delayed. That was a bit of a clue.

Back