help with choosing Video card

forgotten

Reaction score
dont get mad, but i just need to know if a ATI Radeon 9600se 128MB is any good? oh yeah, its also priced at $129.99.

Don't do it. Go for the 9600Xt, which is about the same cost, but much more powerful.

Yeah, never get the SE versions. They are cheap crap. The 9600XT is a good card, I have one.

Get a 9600pro and overclock it to XT.

And where is it $250? That is a ripoff. At pricewatch.com it is $128 for the 256mb version.

Milkman said:
CompUSA is all BS. Rule #1 never buy through a Best Buy/CompUSA/Circuit City type place. Their prices are jacked.

the price is jacked up, but that is an "all in wonder" video TV card. im sure the non-all in woder card would be cheaper

EDIT: around 150 on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-450&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-331&depa=0

its not really worth it to get 256mb drr because most games cant even use all the memory

this is an ALL-IN-WONDER version. with TV and FM tuner and lot's of other stuff you don't need to run HL2;)
that's why it's so expensive. search for plain 9600XT and you'll have yourself a great video card :thumbs:

edit: edited typos, duh...

Go to www.pricewatch.com and search for a card of your choosing. You can order it off the desired site and it is shipped to your door. Best part about the internet; no sales Tax.

Thanks dude. Im gettin a vid card for christmas so i wanna get a good card. guess what Video card i have right now? a GeForce 4 MX440 64MB lol. Oh, Is the 9600XT that good? :rolling:

One more thing, should i buy this one?

ATI RADEON 9600XT 256MB DDR RETAIL BOXED-!
RADEON 9600 XT 256MB DDR VGA w/ DVI+TV-out 8X AGP ATI RADEON 9600 XT 256MB DDR VGA/DVI/TV-out 8X AGP

Dealer # - VIATI9600XT-256
Man # -9600xt TotalCost - $130

Price - $130
Shipping -
FREE UPS Ground Shipping

MicroTech Computers.com info ...
Feedback - 83% positive (6 Reviews)
888-873-1149
419-478-4774 Toledo OH

We offer Great Deals on hundreds of name brand PC products and offer a true 30-Days Hassle Free Return Policy. We never charge restocking fees or give you the run around. Click through to see all of our Special Deals! - POs accepted.
Languages spoken - English

Yes that one looks good. And yeah, I use to have a Geforce4 MX440 64mb too, what a piece that thing was. If you had a tad bit more money I would suggest a Radeon 9800Pro 256mb; they are almost twice as fast as 9600's and only 50-80$ more. I have one and its done a good job for me.

Make sure your motherboard supports AGP8x though before you buy the card.

Pricewatch.com has 10 9600XTs listed for $140 or lower. Btw, on the 256MB version CHECK the memory speed against a 9600XT 128MB. I am not sure with the XTs, but it is a VERY common practices with Pros, SEs, and Normal 9600 and 9800 cards to put more SLOW RAM in for marketing reasons. You are better off with 128MB fast RAM than 256MB slow RAM. So either check or tell us how fast the RAM is on the card so someone can check for you.

shopping at Pricewatch.com is it a good place to buy? I mean is the places in the site reliable?

Kakashi623 said:
shopping at Pricewatch.com is it a good place to buy? I mean is the places in the site reliable?
I have ordered two grahics cards from sites there and they have arrived on time and intact.

forgotten said:
this is my last question: im getting this, just need to know if you would rate how good this card is 1 out of 10?

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/simprod.asp?pid=8439&ad=pwatch

I'd probably give it a 6 or 7. It's kinda low range, but it should run HL2 at a fairly nice pace if the rest of your PC is up to scratch (I have the same card). :) I'd recommend the 9800 Pro, though. It's one of the best mid-range cards you can get.

forgotten said:
this is my last question: im getting this, just need to know if you would rate how good this card is 1 out of 10?

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/simprod.asp?pid=8439&ad=pwatch

Honestly? Horrible card. Yeah, it has 256MB of RAM, but SLOW RAM. I had a friend with one and it drove him nuts. You are better with a 128MB version with faster RAM because a) it will be faster and b) the card with more RAM is not fast enough to actually use the additional RAM. The whole 256MB deal on these low ends cards is marketing... they put more cheap RAM on the card. They save money AND it sells better because people _assume_ more RAM is better.

High Quality RAM > More low quality RAM

Stick with a 9600XT or 9600Pro with 128MB of RAM.

Acert93 said:
Honestly? Horrible card. Yeah, it has 256MB of RAM, but SLOW RAM. I had a friend with one and it drove him nuts. You are better with a 128MB version with faster RAM because a) it will be faster and b) the card with more RAM is not fast enough to actually use the additional RAM. The whole 256MB deal on these low ends cards is marketing... they put more cheap RAM on the card. They save money AND it sells better because people _assume_ more RAM is better.

High Quality RAM > More low quality RAM

Stick with a 9600XT or 9600Pro with 128MB of RAM.

Exactly.

If your gonna get the radeon 9600xt 256ddr, then I suggest you get the 'sapphire' version. It's the EXACT same card, without the crap thrown in, making it WAYYYY cheaper.

No, most 8X Cards will run on 4X AGP slots (they have the same voltage). They have the same voltage and even the new high end cards (X800/6800 series) cards barely exeed the bandwidth 4X AGP can provide. My 6800GT runs fine on my 4X AGP MB.

A friend of mine told me that the Sapphire cards suck, but I don't understand his logic. They are the same as anyother card (clock speeds, ram type) right?

Milkman said:
A friend of mine told me that the Sapphire cards suck, but I don't understand his logic. They are the same as anyother card (clock speeds, ram type) right?

Exactly! He probably says they suck cause they come with less software... but that's it! :stare: That's the only reason! Other then that, it's just as good as expensive version.

hey,
I noticed that all the talk wass about ATI Cards.
Is the nividia Geforce 4 6800 any good?

Milkman said:

funny how the boxed cards ati sells on their own website are made by sapphire. ati doesnt make cards, they make the tech and liscense it out.

For the Money, either a 9800 Pro 256 Bit Card or 6600 GT are the go..new products should be around early 05 with some good prices also. ATi will have a low end X800 with 256 Megs and 12 Pipes I believe for less than a 6800 :)

Back