Hexing movie #4 !!!!

BWMASTER

Reaction score
With the update and the download on the new cache file I dedicate this thread to discuss movie #4!

Let the hexing begin!!!

ahaal ritey then.... ehh some1 help me

Yes go go go. I have no idea what to do but I'll just lurk for a little while.

Steam is downloading a fair bit so it must be something downloading.

CRAP Filename is HL2_Multiplayer.exe

Made you look ;)

They've said twice already, the fourth movie won't be preloaded till early next week. I can't explain what Steam downloaded though.

"Media"
{
"1"
{
"Name" "G-Man"
"Type" "Video"
"File" "media/movies/HL2-G-Man.exe"
}
"2"
{

I've been downloading at 800k/s for about 10 mins now. (~60 MB)

i beleive it has to be 13 charachters filename starting from HL2- and ending with exe

Someone in IRC just said Klieners lab is being downloaded again. same file. I don't understand that either.

We need facts peoples.

It's still going for me at roughly 144.4kb/sec... it was running at 1.6mb/sec for about 20 seconds :eek:

So basically I can't do shit until I know everything's updated.

Originally posted by Falco
They've said twice already, the fourth movie won't be preloaded till early next week. I can't explain what Steam downloaded though.
Falco's a smart man you guys. You should listen more. We can't get the new video because we haven't preloaded it yet, that's it.

"If there is empty space in the cache and there is content available to
download into it, it will use the extra space.

I think there is actually a bit of a bug with the way we have the movies
setup, as this really shouldn't happen. We'll have this fixed soon"

This was Erik's explaination btw ... I still find it doubtful

mine downloaded at 1.7 mbs for a few minutes and then it was done. unfortunately i have no clue how to figure out what downloaded. all i know how to do is follow instructions written by chris showing me how to hex videos.

i searched every hl2 text string, can't find any new video name...

i dont think im doing it right tho.

Now my downloads finished and the average speed I would say its about 100Mb, time to see whats inside :)

I wonder if Valve made it a little bit harder to crack this time, since we all enjoy trying to figure it out so much...

I can imagine Gabe saying, "Sneaky bastards! Lets see them figure THIS one out!"

I'm trying to overwrite the file but my hexeditor creates a new file or crashes...strange

Hey guys, first time poster on these boards. I have been checking you guys out for a while though, since we hacked docks.

Anyway, the big man said we wouldn't be preloading until next week, and I am trying to figure out what I am downloading...

Alright, I am digging through the strings and such, no findings :( Either they were telling the truth and we didn't dl the next vid, or we did and they just buried it tight.

lol by saying that he just gives us another reason to hack it, wanna bet that against tomoro we will have the next movie?

Maybe we are preloading it... Valve is trying to decieve us... :bounce: Since noone knows what the DL this morning was.

Search for the Bink header and export everything after it, up to the 0's :p

And no, I havent done it, I rather wait for the new video to be "officially" released :)

slash i already tried searching for the bink header, and only three entries came up, which most likely means the fourth movie wasn't preloaded.

one thing interesting i did find though- search for 'TRUEVISION-XFILE'. there is one entry. now, that is the signiture of tga files. new screenshot, anyone? doesn't make sense that it would be a tga though. more likely some sort of icon.

I went through it as througholy as I could, looking for hl2 in the strings as well as the bink header and any .exe extension. No deal. Wish I knew what I just dl'd.

i found the bink header, three instances of it.

i couldn't find the bink footer though.

bw- they wouldn't just encrypt one movie. if they encrypted one movie, they would do all of them.

=O !!!

Then it must be downloading HalfLife2 itself! lozl :p

rootbin, that string could not be found when I searched for it.

2 days ago, i downloaded around 165MB of HL2 Movies with Steam.
I think that was the #4 video.. and know its maybe the fallowing; or it could be the 5th..

From CS-Nation :
New HL2 media was released also. Load up Steam, and let the new "Kleiner's Lab" download. Since so many people hacked the cache and posted it on places like FilePlanet, VALVe promises to make it harder to extract the unreleased movies.

i dont even see why they're doing this, just release them all damnit.

Originally posted by rootbin
one thing interesting i did find though- search for 'TRUEVISION-XFILE'. there is one entry. now, that is the signiture of tga files. new screenshot, anyone? doesn't make sense that it would be a tga though. more likely some sort of icon.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, the icons on the menu are in .tga format. So that would be it.

If they continue the same pattern after e3 movies are done with (wich at this rate will take ages) then release new material for HL2 every other day then i'm not too dissapointed.

Ok I cant find anything. I was thinking that, because I still have a backup of the old cache, maybe I could look at them both and look for the difference and then do something with that? I dont know how to do it thought

It's downloading again.... :/

Back