Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Pity the book series went downhill after the first one.

I want to see the movie though :)

Yeah, I enjoyed all five.

The first was the best, I'll hand you that.

Ennui, you fool! This thread was at exactly 42 replies!

Oh, and I liked all the books.

edit: Oops. Ennui's post was the 42nd reply, but the #43 i the thread (since that includes the thread-starting post). So I was the fool who messed up the 42 replies. Sorry Ennui.

They were all quite good yes, it's just the first one was so much better - you could almost feel him running out of material by the last one

Don't kill me ;O

I liked the movie. I thought it would be better, but alas it was decent. I plan on reading the books soon. I read some of Restaraunt at the End of the Universe. Pretty good.

I loved all the books.

I loved the movie.

And I especiall loved the job that all the actors did.

I'm British. I know how to cue.

Direwolf said:
I loved all the books.

I loved the movie.

And I especiall loved the job that all the actors did.

I'm British. I know how to cue.

Well, we are rather good at Snooker.

EDIT: and now after that sarcastic comment, I find out that cue is actually an alternative way to spell "Queue". Whoops.

Mattigus said:
... the movie was great EXCEPT that they
squeezed in this gooshy romance between Arthur and Trillian.
Everytime they
have a romantic moment (it happens often and feels VERY out of place)
i just had to groan and look away.
Agreed. Read all 5 books twice, then burned myself out. That was 6 years ago. I thought the movie was great, but I empathized for anyone in the theater who hadn't read the books, because they wouldn't be able to take anything away from watching it. And there were and they didn't.

EDIT: Can some op fix the thread title por favor? Something about seeing the thread title say "guild" instead of "guide" really rubs me the wrong way.

EDIT EDIT: Spoiler tagged for comedic value.

MuToiD_MaN said:
Agreed. Read all 5 books twice, then burned myself out. That was 6 years ago. I thought the movie was great, but I empathized for anyone in the theater who hadn't read the books, because they wouldn't be able to take anything away from watching it. And there were and they didn't.

EDIT: Can some op fix the thread title por favor? Something about seeing the thread title say "guild" instead of "guide" really rubs me the wrong way.

EDIT EDIT: Spoiler tagged for comedic value.
It was actually the decision of Douglas Adams to insert the... stuff in those spoilers... because he wanted it to appeal more to film execs so that the movie would actually get made. The radio series and the books hinted at it but he actually fleshed it out before he died, while he was pushing to get it made into a movie. It's a standard process. Look at LotR, that kind of stuff (I hear) was also given much more importance in the movie than it had in the books (which I haven't read). I guess they think adding stuff like that to the movie will give it a wider audience. I tried to write that bit without using spoilers or directly describing the spoiler content.

Also, I loved the first three books about equally and the fourth was pretty good... but Mostly Harmless felt like it didn't belong in the same league as the others. I highly recommend the unabridged audio books read by Douglas Noel Adams himself... he did an incredible job on them. In fact, I listened to the whole thing recently even though I read almost all of it before then.

I guess I can't blame him for that. I'm pleasantly surprised this big-production thing went through at all. And I'd agree with your book order except I'd swap 4 and 5.

I thought the movie was fantastic, and one of the only movies in recent memory that i thoroughly enjoyed throughout the entire film. Great mix of Monty Python-like humour and Dr. Who sci-fi. Hadn't read any of the books but i loved the film. Everyone in my family has seen it and they loved it too.

I have seen this film and thought i was good.....but was let down a bit.

Narcolepsy said:
Even though I cringed at the absence of the towel and frood entries, I was able to appreicate what was there.

;(

How can you have a Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy story without a towel? That's blasphemy.

Neutrino said:
How can you have a Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy story without a towel? That's blasphemy.
Ford Prefect frequently used his towel during the movie... and I'm pretty sure I remember him making a comment to Arthur Dent near the end congratulating him on still having his towel after all of that. So, it wasn't quite blasphemy. They just didn't explain their importance very well.

OCybrManO said:
Ford Prefect frequently used his towel during the movie... and I'm pretty sure I remember him making a comment to Arthur Dent near the end congratulating him on still having his towel after all of that. So, it wasn't quite blasphemy. They just didn't explain their importance very well.

Ah, thanks for explaining. At least not all is lost. Glad of that.

What is the importance of the towel anyway? I still thought it was funny, even though only now have i noticed that its some kind of in-joke in the book that never made it to the film

I like using spoiler tags too. It's like we're keeping a big secret from somebody. Shhhh.

I just watched it....

Its a pretty good film actually. They had a bit at the end of the credits to :O

qckbeam said:
I've never read the books, but I probably should. I'm always hearing good things about them.

I know two people who walked out of LotR. My grandma, and her friend. They "thought the little people were stupid."
yeah me too. I read one paragraph once and it was funny, can't remember what it was about though.

Towels are the most useful thing it is possible to have handy in a crisis. One of the first things that Ford Prefect did for Arthur Dent after the demolition of the Earth was to equip him with a towel.

They can be used for snaring birds whilst falling from a three-mile high marble statue.

They can be used to signal temporally unstable spaceships by fossilizing them in planetary strata.

They can be soaked in nutrients to provide sustenance in awkward situations (Although, as Zaphod Beeblebrox found, this is not a terribly tasty solution to hunger).

They can also do a really good job of drying between your toes.

The Hitchhiker's Guide is full of suggestions for successful towel deployment. It is worth noting that a cup of white vinegar in a wash will help keep your towels fluffy and soft.

Got to say the kiss at the end seemed abit to much, but it had to have somthing in there... and its not like the film makers where spitting on DA's grave, he wrote the first rough story for the film, and made note there had to be some romance in there, not everything in the book would of worked on the film.

I saw HHG2TG a couple of days ago and I loved it, although some of my mates weren't too sure about it. I guess the subtle humor in there is an acquired taste.

The expression on the farmers face really made me chuckle though (during the guide's definition of the babelfish)

Some people need that in your face humor, the kind you don't need to look for because BAM! here it is. I prefere the more subtle humored comedy than I do a slapstick, I will laugh at anything for the next one and a half hours, kind of movie.

I hate slapstick humor. Unless its done right. And America never does slapstick humor right.

DeusExMachinia said:
I hate slapstick humor. Unless its done right. And America never does slapstick humor right.
I was under the impression that this wasn't an American film. But I don't know the nationalities of those who directed and produced it (obviously not talking about who wrote it), so I could be wrong.

And I am also assuming you're accusing this film of having American slapstick humor in it, just to be sure.

Kirk: Mr sulu, engage the infinite probability drive

Scotty: but the probabilities will be infinite captain!

Bones: god dammit man.

.. the movie was pretty funny, the guide is hilarious.. but there are alot of wtf moments that you can giggle about later when sanity returns.

MuToiD_MaN said:
I was under the impression that this wasn't an American film. But I don't know the nationalities of those who directed and produced it (obviously not talking about who wrote it), so I could be wrong.

And I am also assuming you're accusing this film of having American slapstick humor in it, just to be sure.

No, I was referring to slapstick humor in general. I didn't find slapstick humor in Hitchhiker. And Yes, I know it was made by Brits.

Gotcha.

(off-topic) You didn't like any of the Naked Gun movies?

Hitch-Hiker's rocked. it felt true to Adams.

DeusExMachinia said:
No, I was referring to slapstick humor in general. I didn't find slapstick humor in Hitchhiker. And Yes, I know it was made by Brits.
Hey, theres certainly enough Americans involved to give us some credit too. :D
Most of the cast is American for starters, and it was produced by an American company.

You didn't like any of the Naked Gun movies?

Entertaining. But not funny at all.

^ oh dear, someone needs a slap with a comedy stick. :p

the neked gun movies, absolutely pwnd. as did Aeroplane, i really got to get that film :)

Okay, sorry to bump up this thread... but I just now watched the movie...

Such a bore! The humor in the thing was just too far out there... barely enough to make me crack a smile, sometimes.

First time I watched this movie I thought it was a bit wierd. Guess I must have just been in a foul mood perhaps. Second time I watched this movie I loved it and have subsequently seen it about 6 times.

Sam Rockwell pwnz

Back