HL2 already beyond

R

roader

All you guys in this forum should know that HL2 will soon be out of the picture if you know what im saying.
Cry Havoc is a game that is based on the reality eninge developed by Artificial Studios. Cry Havoc should be released sometime in 2005 and the reality engine will kick some serious a--. In that engine every single world objects casts and recieves smoot shadows, unlike
the HL2 engine. Maybe the only thing thats better in HL2 is the
physics eninge havoc2 (havoc1 was used in Max Payne 2).
But who knows maybe all that will change to.
This features are only a few but there will be amny nice features like Parallyx mapping.

Oh no. A game that is not out for a year will be more technically advanced than a game that is already out. Quickly boys, burn your copys of HL2 to hide the shame...

Which objects (Apart from yourself) did not cast shadows in HL2?

Anyway, sounds interesting. got any links to some more info?

Sometime in 2005 is not beyond HL2. HL2 is now, right now, this very moment.

I can turn on HL2 right this second and play it. I can't do that with Cry Havoc.

And so you see while Cry Havoc may be much better it won't matter because "sometime in 2005" a lot of other things like the new Unreal engine and I'm sure something new from Crytek will be out. There'll be plenty of competition. But for now, HL2 is where it's at.

Half-Life 2 had shadows. I couldn't see them, because my graphics card can't handle that, and water reflections...Maybe your computer won't run HL2 as good as you thought...

Okay, instead of wasting my freaking time looking for this stupid game why dont you leave a link? :dozey:

uh oh, you mean I wasted my money on hl2 when a game coming out next year might have better shadows?

If you have a shadow fetish you might try trolling the doom3 forums, they live for darkness so you could probably rile them up easily.

but the unreal engine 3.0 will be better

"OMG HL2 sucks,doom 3 grpahics sucks,cronicles of riddick graphics sucks,and cry havock sucks cuz they are not better that a engine that will be released in the 2006!!!11"

The Cry Havoc developers seem to spend more time on their forums telling people that this has nothing to do with Far Cry or the Havoc physics engine.

http://www.cryhavoc-game.com/

The site is just a splash page and a forum at the moment. A great post about how this "game" will destroy HL2 in the near future:

To answer your question; at this moment we're mainly concerned with licensing our engine, so the game does not have the highest priority at the moment. You can look at our Portal to get an idea of how Reality works, you can find it at http://reality.artificialstudios.com; It has been going through a bunch of updates and a lot information has been added over the past weeks, might be worth checking it out.

The videos and screenshots for the engine look phenomenal, especially the backyard one, but you need a lot more than a new engine to topple HL2.

In 2999 a game called OG World is comming out, it will "kick some serious a--" over Quake 1.
roader i think you may be on the wrong site man, but if there is a better game on earth then please tell us where to find it ;0)

I heard this game will come out on the phantom first.

Damn you infinium labs.

RabidJester said:
You can have mine.

They're on the floor.
just check out the mansion demo's both swinging lights.. and die :eek:

to think it's rendered on a radeon 9700 :x

nagual678 said:
just check out the mansion demo's both swinging lights.. and die :eek:

to think it's rendered on a radeon 9700 :x

Are you guys doing this onnn purpooose,??
Plz give me a link to the screens / demo's whatever thhhccc :dozey:

Raawr said:
thhhxxxx

and may i add:

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOD, look at the details on that can, hooly cooow
just wait until you see the mansion techdemo

HOLY COW, the backyard one is sweet 2, its so cool that they can adjust the parts of the flower so that those parts are transparant by light :-o

OMG JUST WATCHED the mansion movie, HL² IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GONE GET OWNED

no life watching re-creations of a backyard?

wtf is wrong with u people, just go out in the forrest and see the nice "graphics" in real life

while a very valid point mentioned in this thread is that HL2 is out today and that this engine will take at least 2 years to be released, it is on the other hand very difficult (even it if it has officially been stated that it is highly and easily upgradable) - to imagine Source being reworked in order to become any kind of concurrence for the Cry Havoc engine

It's great work, rendered in real time, but you always have to scale that back for what would actually be in a game. There's no ai or game processes happening to suck up CPU power.

Either way, the big point is that they seem to be hardly working on this Cry Havoc game, opting instead to spend time trying to pimp their engine, which is admittedly pretty slick.

As with all things, I will believe it when I play it.

Mickeey said:
no life watching re-creations of a backyard?

wtf is wrong with u people, just go out in the forrest and see the nice "graphics" in real life

Its called art. Would you tell someone who looked at Van Goghs sunflower painting (Forgot its actual name) to go out and look at real sunflowers?

BTW, The only FPS I have enjoyed more then HL2 is HL1, DESPITE better graphics.

roader said:
All you guys in this forum should know that HL2 will soon be out of the picture if you know what im saying. . . Cry Havoc should be released sometime in 2005 and the reality engine will kick some serious a--.
Kick-ass game engines are a dime a dozen. What sets Half-Life 2 apart is its immersive storytelling and brilliant gameplay.

Furthermore, the developers are working on engine first, game second, so I'm guessing we'll wind up with another Doom 3 where the game was constrained to fit the engine rather than like Source where the engine was designed to accomodate the game.

Sub-surface scattering, high dynamic range rendering, real-time fully dynamic soft shadows/lighting, normal/parallax mapping, dynamic specular mapped reflection (as opposed to the kind that uses cubemaps), depth of field, physics, etc... all running in real-time on a 9700 with a decent framerate is very impressive. People thought the Doom 3 engine was the best that current hardware could handle. I can't wait to see what those guys can do with next-gen hardware.

yay so i dont have to upgrade my computer and still get to play in that pretty engine!

lighting in STALKER looks as good imo...
the game looks a bit plasticy like FarCry also, thats what i like about HL2 and the STALKER demos.

roader said:
All you guys in this forum should know that HL2 will soon be out of the picture if you know what im saying.
Cry Havoc is a game that is based on the reality eninge developed by Artificial Studios. Cry Havoc should be released sometime in 2005 and the reality engine will kick some serious a--. In that engine every single world objects casts and recieves smoot shadows, unlike
This features are only a few but there will be amny nice features like Parallyx mapping.

Woah gee, there will be a game in 2005 that is prettier? GET OUT OF HERE! ARE YOU KIDDING? INCREDIBLE!

And just so you know: HL1 wasn't the most technically incredible game, but it stayed "in the picture" for six years.

PS: Source supports parallax mapping, every game with PS2.0 support does. (mat_parallax)

just watched the Mansion demo too though.... those wall textures are awesome.
I wonder though, theres so many new engiones coming out all the time, this wont be alone by the time anything is released on it and from what Valve have said of Source isn't it supremely scalable... i wouldn't be surprised if they could flick a switch and turn this sort of functionality on especially with shadows and textures.

Kamakazie said:
i wouldn't be surprised if they could flick a switch and turn this sort of functionality
it's a thing you have to program, not a switch that can be flicked(apart from HDR, wich can conceivably be activated with a single small update). you should write and rewrite so much things to be par with, say, U3 or Cry Havoc that it would become Source 2.0

roader said:

OH NOES!!! It has better shadows that hl2!!! Screw half-life 2! Besides I was playing it only for the shadows!

:sleep:

ZeeM said:
OH NOES!!! It has better shadows that hl2!!! Screw half-life 2! Besides I was playing it only for the shadows!

:sleep:
there was also a part in his post (wich you obviously didnt bother to read in its entirety) wich said
"This features are only a few but there will be amny nice features like Parallyx mapping"

besides, yes, the source engine is flawed with rather bad shadows.
can't you accept this rather than not being able to handle a single criticism about hl2 ?

anyway, comparing the two is stupid because, as it has been said, Reality will be out two whole years from now (if not more).

HalfLife2Addict said:
LOL. Like you could do a better job.

no, but they get paid to do a better job. and other companies are doing a better job apparently.

Its coming out in 2005 how can you even compare the two? Guess what unreal 3.0 engine and x-ray engine are coming out in 2005. Hummmm..

RabidJester said:
The Cry Havoc developers seem to spend more time on their forums telling people that this has nothing to do with Far Cry or the Havoc physics engine.
Ha ha! Guess there just aren't a whole lot of Shakespeare readers on those forums, eh?

Back