HL2 already beyond

HalfLife2Addict said:
LOL. Like you could do a better job.
..you are saying that you can't criticise anything if you can't do a "better job". on a single sentence, you just invalidated millenias of cultural criticism. i can only but bow down to you.

..this is a rethorical nightmare. :x

I don't give a flying crap about engine.

If these guys can make a game on par with HL2, then perhaps I'll be impressed. Seriously, Doom 3 had a "better" engine but it was a crap game, so it wasn't quite the hit HL2 has been.

People need to start seeing that engines don't make a game.

Kangy said:
I don't give a flying crap about engine.

If these guys can make a game on par with HL2, then perhaps I'll be impressed. Seriously, Doom 3 had a "better" engine but it was a crap game, so it wasn't quite the hit HL2 has been.

i can't recall anyone saying it will be a better game ?

roader said:
All you guys in this forum should know that HL2 will soon be out of the picture if you know what im saying.
Cry Havoc is a game that is based on the reality eninge developed by Artificial Studios. Cry Havoc should be released sometime in 2005 and the reality engine will kick some serious a--. In that engine every single world objects casts and recieves smoot shadows, unlike
the HL2 engine. Maybe the only thing thats better in HL2 is the
physics eninge havoc2 (havoc1 was used in Max Payne 2).
But who knows maybe all that will change to.
This features are only a few but there will be amny nice features like Parallyx mapping.

everything in this technological age is already obsolete the second its made. so stfu dude

but fair enough cry engine is gonna be pretty

Kangy said:
A bad engine limits the game. A good engine can handle whatever the developers want to use in their game... or more. It's like giving an artist only one or two colors to paint with. Sure, the painting can still look good but you'll never know what it could have been. People need to start seeing that the result of a great engine in the hands of someone who already makes great games would be... an even better game.

nagual678 said:
i can't recall anyone saying it will be a better game ?

From the awful grammar, I seemed to get the idea he was saying that because the engine is better on Cry Havoc, suddenly it'll be beyond HL2.

I doubt it, and looking through the forums, the developers don't even have a specific direction for the game yet other than "future Earth".

OCybrManO said:
A bad engine limits the game. A good engine can handle whatever the developers want to use in their game... or more. It's like giving an artist only one or two colors to paint with. Sure, the painting can still look good but you'll never know what it could have been. People need to start seeing that the result of a great engine in the hands of someone who already makes great games would be... an even better game.

I can't see how the Source engine would limit any developer that isn't relying solely on cheap visual treats.

Er...nagual...I think the original poster said "Move over Half Life 2", I think that means he's saying it's gonna be better.

Anyone else noticed how Btichy [sic] the forums get when someone comes along and insults HL2 in some way?

HL2 owns that engine because unlike that engine you can actually play a fun, exciting and involving game with HL2. Why would anyone want to walk around a dimly lit, empty mansion knocking over bookcases! :)

ShinRa said:
no, but they get paid to do a better job. and other companies are doing a better job apparently.
Point taken...
And I've read some funny posts today... Thanks you guys! :)
And I like that name "Reality Engine"... That doesn't leave a name for the engine(s) that will beat the "Reality Engine"...

corkscru74 said:
Er...nagual...I think the original poster said "Move over Half Life 2", I think that means he's saying it's gonna be better.
as the poster only mentioned purely technical stuff, it's safe to assume that he really meant "Move over Half Life 2's technology" (wich, as i already posted, is stupid since he'd compare technologies two years apart)

Kangy, you mean you can't see how any of those features might be able to affect gameplay? None of them? You don't have a very good imagination, do you?

You also missed the point. Would you rather have great gameplay with HL graphics or the same great gameplay with HL2 graphics? Yeah... I rest my case.

corkscru74 said:
HL2 owns that engine because unlike that engine you can actually play a fun, exciting and involving game with HL2. Why would anyone want to walk around a dimly lit, empty mansion knocking over bookcases!
That "dimly lit corridor" argument used to work when we were looking at Doom3 screenshots and videos... but it doesn't work when one of their most impressive tech videos is a bright outdoor scene.

We don't even know what the gameplay is going to be like... or even what the game is about. How can you already insult the gameplay?

nagual678 said:
watch the movies, they're rendered realtime on a radeon 9700

realy ? i thouoght they were rendered in X800 pro or over

very interesting

OCybrManO said:
You mean you can't see how any of those features might be able to affect gameplay? None of them? You don't have a very good imagination, do you?

You also missed the point. Would you rather have great gameplay with HL graphics or the same great gameplay with HL2 graphics? Yeah... I rest my case.

Watching it again, I can see how the light passing through thin objects might be pretty cool for a game, aye. Didn't Splinter Cell already do that though? Oh, and the little bit about the dynamic lighting, since I can see a time travel sequence making good use of that. The rest doesn't seem to be revolutionary to gameplay really though. Perhaps some visual tweaks that make the gamer smile.

I don't think the gap between original Source and this is quite as big as the HL to Source engine, either. I mean, sure, very cool lighting effects, and shadows, but not much else other than visual tweaking.

What the f*ck is everyone freaking out about?

The graphics are not THAT good. They're marginally better than any of the recent graphic engines (Doom 3, Far Cry, HL2). Seriously I've watched both videos and just cannot see what is so spectacular about the graphics. Sure, they've got all the awesome buzzwords "parallax," "radiosity," "HDR," "soft shadows," "per-pixel-whatever," but in the end it just doesn't add up in a coherent way. It actually reminded me alot of the Doom 3 engine. Oh, and the physics are AWFUL. The way objects floated about in the mansion demo almost had me laughing.

RabidJester said:
The Cry Havoc developers seem to spend more time on their forums telling people that this has nothing to do with Far Cry or the Havoc physics engine.

http://www.cryhavoc-game.com/

The site is just a splash page and a forum at the moment. A great post about how this "game" will destroy HL2 in the near future:

"so the game does not have the highest priority at the moment"

The videos and screenshots for the engine look phenomenal, especially the backyard one, but you need a lot more than a new engine to topple HL2.

what i have selected and made bold is the number one reason why their game will NEVER even come close to any valve product. no one can rival their effort and focus on making fun games for the community. if you set out to make an impressive engine and throw gameplay/storytelling to the backburner youre left with a dissapointing product and an upset fanbase. once again i point to my belief that half-life 1 is a far better game than farcry, doom 3, and any fps to date that isnt half-life 2.

DarkStar said:
What the f*ck is everyone freaking out about?

The graphics are not THAT good. They're marginally better than any of the recent graphic engines (Doom 3, Far Cry, HL2). Seriously I've watched both videos and just cannot see what is so spectacular about the graphics. Sure, they've got all the awesome buzzwords "parallax," "radiosity," "HDR," "soft shadows," "per-pixel-whatever," but in the end it just doesn't add up in a coherent way. It actually reminded me alot of the Doom 3 engine. Oh, and the physics are AWFUL. The way objects floated about in the mansion demo almost had me laughing.

the question is,

what do you like to see ?

kaf11 said:
what i have selected and made bold is the number one reason why their game will NEVER even come close to any valve product
remember, valve took 6 years to make HL2. and please correct me if i am wrong, but they first developed the technology, THEN the game.

ShinRa said:
no, but they get paid to do a better job. and other companies are doing a better job apparently.
dude, its a ****ing design decision, they want to keep low system players in mind and because alot is based outside, you cant keep a high fps for the low end systems when you have doom3 shadows, and imo, doom3 shadows sarent really impressive. the more impressive thing is what the valve designteam pulled off, keeping an eye out for realism and subthelty, they only use the effects when they think it needs to be there.

nagual678 said:
remember, valve took 6 years to make HL2. and please correct me if i am wrong, but they first developed the technology, THEN the game.
true, but as a developer they never lose sight of what is important: the game. they didnt care that they released without fully rendered dynamic lighting. they cared about how fun the game is to play. to me, no other developer has this kind of view. the features dont matter, what matters is if those features contribute to gameplay.

I agree, with the dude who posted on page 4, saying the physics engine sucks.. Well, i dont think it SUCKS, but it seemed alittle *SLOW* to me, like the pictures that fell off the wall, if u catch it when he turns around, the picture is still standing straight up from 20 seconds earlier.. Mabey im just imaginateing things, but i think the physics engine needs some work :( (altough i did like the multi-rendering thing where almost every object is effected, e.g. the falling bookshelf.. little things like that make me weep with joy :) )

DarkStar said:
Oh, and the physics are AWFUL. The way objects floated about in the mansion demo almost had me laughing.
I hear that... The things respond like it's all going on under water? WTF??? :afro:

all of 22 threads.... yep lets hope to god its coming out Q4 for 2005....

Heavy P said:
I hear that... The things respond like it's all going on under water? WTF??? :afro:
i think they deserve credit nonetheless : havoc was licensed, valve just paid for it and never had any questions to be asked. in this case, the physics engine is still in development, and the whole thing is pre-alpha !

Unreal 3.0, pfff.
www.artificialstudios.com is where the Tech Demos are located.
www.cryhavoc-game.com is where the forums of the game is.
There are no screenshots or what so ever because it is top secret :p
Nah but the lack of screenshots is because the developers have no company that is willing to release a game that is produced by private persons. Well im not saying that HL2 is a waste of money, I got it myself for 50 bucks or so (399 swedish crones) and I enjoyed every mili second of the game, but still the technics used in the game is soon old. Its a shame but thats the truth.
My point is that just because the "delay" or whatever it was, Valve software probably lost millions and millions of money but the thing they lost matters the most is that they lost the technic (wich was really before its time, just like HL1) but since that thing happend the technic has grown older and im just saying that its a shame.

btw, my graphic card is a GeForce 6800 GT so I should probably be able to have thesame graphics as the developers...

I can't see why it would be so bad. Better graphics for gamers? Great.

ShinRa said:

Yeah, I'm quite sure some fancy shadows didn't fit in their 40 million dollar budget. :rolleyes:

Sigh. I've said if before, and I'll say it again: the way HL2 renders shadows is a very cheap way to render lots of shadows for a lot of entities on this hardware. Another game that uses this method is Rome: TW, and that has the task to render shadows of 10k+ soldiers.

i think they deserve credit nonetheless : havoc was licensed, valve just paid for it and never had any questions to be asked. in this case, the physics engine is still in development, and the whole thing is pre-alpha !

Valve rewrote their Havok (which is obvious since the Havok 1 physics of HL2 are considerably better than Havok 2 physics of MP2) and helped on development of Havok 2. Not just a license.

FEAR looks better, if you ask me. And even then, it's got that lovely plastickeyness.

When I want a coke can simulator though, then I'll give these guys a call. :p

Ehh to me, I think that game is going to horribly crash. They have a poor website, its not even a site just forums and a splash page. They say they just put the company togther June of this year too, I truly doubt it'd be out by next year. They seem unprepared.

Mechagodzilla said:
FEAR looks better, if you ask me. And even then, it's got that lovely plastickeyness.

When I want a coke can simulator though, then I'll give these guys a call. :p
It's BARQ'S, dude! It's better than Coke! You know why? Because it's slogan is "Drink Barq's: It's Good!" THAT'S why!

I havent said anything about the GAME HL2 just that its technics are old, dont get grumpy, realize it. No game in nearest 10 years will be able to push down HL2 from the throne. The story kicks a-- and the ending, yeah what a ending. I saw it ten times, over and over again.
No doubt its the greatest game but still the shadows suck and the normal mapping on objects isnt that good either. Tip to Valve :
Use parallyx mapping and for christ sake give gordon some more lines to say and a shadow !

Who gives a Sh#t about stupid shadows..... damn. Nerds always gotta have every single damn detail in a game. The game was the best no matter what.

CriYam said:
I heard this game will come out on the phantom first.

Damn you infinium labs.
lmao, I'm assuming you made this thread because the Phantom's never coming out?
Can you say "vaporware"?
I was so excited about it, too...

nagual678 said:

I believe they were throwing around ideas of what they would like to "do" in a game, and made the engine based on what they wanted a game to do. And were not just worried about "ooooh let's have a physics engine so we can watch ragdolls!", they actually wanted to do something meaningful in the game with that technology. While that is very close to what people think of when they think "tech first, game second", it's not quite the same (not in my book anyway).

Plus graphics aren't the only thing involved in making a great game. Valve introduced amazing lip sync to their characters which I'm still amazed by, as well as the first great use of a physics engine other than just for pushing things over and watching them fall. That is the single most important development in first person shooters in the last few years over anything else, the ability to *use* the environment rather than just pushing things and watching them flop about.

I can't wait to see what Valve can do with Half Life 3, given that they don't have to spend so much time developing the engine this time around.

BetaMaster said:
lmao, I'm assuming you made this thread because the Phantom's never coming out?
Can you say "vaporware"?
I was so excited about it, too...
You're forgetting about the king of vaporware!! What about Duke? And at the risk of sounding like a threadjacking fanboy, the Duke Forever Meqon physics engine, assuming it gets released, will kick HL2 havok engine's ass.

If you haven't already, check out their demos, go to meqon.com.

Back