HL2 already beyond

Megatron42 said:
You're forgetting about the king of vaporware!! What about Duke? And at the risk of sounding like a threadjacking fanboy, the Duke Forever Meqon physics engine, assuming it gets released, will kick HL2 havok engine's ass.

If you haven't already, check out their demos, go to meqon.com.
27th september 2004 : 3D realms acquires Meqon for DNF.. wow.. this means something IS happening..

What I want to know is how they managed to purchase the engine since I don't know what kind of revenue they've been paying their developers with for the past six years.

/Uninformed comment

I've always said gameplay>graphics. A game's gaming quality can have nothing to do with it's rendering engine. I personally think it'll take years before other games catch up to HL2. I mean heck, hardly any FPS can match it with HL1.

Kazuki_Fuse said:
I've always said gameplay>graphics. A game's gaming quality can have nothing to do with it's rendering engine. I personally think it'll take years before other games catch up to HL2. I mean heck, hardly any FPS can match it with HL1.
wow, i've never heard that one before. off-topic, besides

Raawr said:
OMG JUST WATCHED the mansion movie, HL² IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GONE GET OWNED

Graphics don't mean anything, they're just eyecandy. I like good graphics like everyone else, but they don't make a game good. I appreciate how amazing this engine is and how much work it took to make, but you can't say that HL2 sucks now because of some graphics. You can have an amazing engine and beautiful graphics and still have a piece of crap game. HL2's engine has great graphics and effects, they aren't the best, but it really doesn't matter. Is having a high poly coke can, realistic flowers or a vine of individually modelled grapes going to make your game fun to play? No. Unless shiny things amuse you.

what many people fail to understand is that this thread is about technology, not gameplay.

The graphics don't look that great. Plust everything has that plastic look, just like farcry.

nagual678 said:
what many people fail to understand is that this thread is about technology, not gameplay.

Right, but saying that Half-Life 2 has been owned because someone showed you some pretty graphics is ridiculous. Just because this game has better graphics than HL2 doesn't mean that it's better as a whole. A fine example of how pretty looking games don't necessarily mean anything can be found here. Notice how many people still play Half-Life, Wolfenstein and Quake 3? Notice how many people are playing Far Cry, Doom 3 and Medal of Honor Pacific Assault?

He was referring to Half Life 2's TECHNOLOGY, since this thread is precisely about it

*fanboy rant about how HL2's graphics and gameplay are superior*

Wait 'till a game comes out using the Reality Engine. Plzkthx. ;)

Reminds me of this post found on the early days of the internet

DonkeyKongKing said:
HAHA Pac-Man is going to be out of the picture if you know what I am saying. There is a game coming out called 'Moon Patrol' that has scrolling 2D graphics unlike Pacman that has a non moveable maze! Moon Patrol also displays 32 colors unlike Pacmans 16! Haha your arcade is going to close.

-DonkeyKongKing 1983

Maybe if the gameplay isn't super blan it'll be able to compare to HL2.
FarCry made me yawn...

CriYam said:
uh oh, you mean I wasted my money on hl2 when a game coming out next year might have better shadows?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If you have a shadow fetish you might try trolling the doom3 forums, they live for darkness so you could probably rile them up easily.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nice, but IMO it looks like a CGI movie...too "plastic" for my tastes. Yes it's got all the pretty effects and such, but it's too "soft" or something. Also the physics looks like the mansion is on the Moon or something. Everything bounces around with low grav...probably easy to fix.....I'd hope.

The one thing I liked about HL2 graphics is the sharpness of it...just looks better to my eyes.

Back