**HL2 benchmarked with Nvidia 6800 Ultra**

crabcakes66 said:
even if the 6800 happened to be a little faster.....id still buy ATI

...as the IQ is STILL superior...unless drivers can fix some of the things ive seen with the 6800.

edit: and that asus card looks very nice :naughty:
I agree. :D

Arno said:
There are literally dozens of 6800ultra reviews on the web. Most of them look the same. Since XBitLabs isn't as well known as HardOCP, Anand or THG, they have to do something special in order to draw an audience to their review. They choose to do it with the stolen HL2 beta. Lame.

btw Xbitlabs is very well known new site. Not sure why you think they have a need/want to draw in more hits when they won't be getting any more since they already have them. Do you read a lot of tech news sites or just stick to one or two places like Tom's Hardware?

Arno said:
Btw, the Far Cry developers are innocent until proven guilty.

Last I heard they settled with the company and bought licenses after the fact...

im pretty sure this is the same version used by valve back in Sep30 last year ,to demostrate Halflife2 performance.

yes there will be alot of diffrence from last year to this summer (hopefully!), but this is just to get an idea of the performance.

the 6800 ultra looks really kickass, but you cant really compare until the r420 is out. and the new hl2 is out.

x84D80Yx said:
im pretty sure this is the same version used by valve back in Sep30 last year ,to demostrate Halflife2 performance.

yes there will be alot of diffrence from last year to this summer (hopefully!), but this is just to get an idea of the performance.

the 6800 ultra looks really kickass, but you cant really compare until the r420 is out. and the new hl2 is out.

The press never got the HL2 benchmark, it was only used at the ATi Shader Day event.
Besides, if this was the case, they'd clearly label it and not label it a "Highly Anticipated DirectX9 Game."

Shuzer said:
The press never got the HL2 benchmark, it was only used at the ATi Shader Day event.
Besides, if this was the case, they'd clearly label it and not label it a "Highly Anticipated DirectX9 Game."

even if they were given a benchmark of hl2 from sept 30th.
It doesn't matter whether it's 'stolen' or not: The fact of the matter is NV40 ran the same game that was run on the other cards, but it ran it 2x-5x faster, and on a 1600x1200 resolution. i gotta say, thats pretty damn impressive.

x84D80Yx said:
even if they were given a benchmark of hl2 from sept 30th.
It doesn't matter whether it's 'stolen' or not: The fact of the matter is NV40 ran the same game that was run on the other cards, but it ran it 2x-5x faster, and on a 1600x1200 resolution. i gotta say, thats pretty damn impressive.

Didn't say otherwise :| Although, I hope they did it fairly, there are quite a few things in the stolen build that you have to reconfigure if running an nVidia card, by default, the ATi stuff has more enabled

if anything the ati performance was probally more optomized lol.
but thats besides the point...we should just wait for the FULL hl2 benchmarks, and the ATi x800XT benchmarks.

The only reason the GeForce 6800u is any where close to the Radeon 9800 in the 800x600 and 1024x480 resolutions is because the GeForce is being CPU limited. When they crank up the settings you see it really shine.

People seriously under-estimate Nvidia, one of the tiding factors in why the last series of GeForce cards (the 5xxx series) were seriously under-performing compared to the Radeon's was because Nvidia decided to try out some new card technology where ATi simply improved what was already out there.

I'm not saying ATi don't make good cards, because it's been proven they do by the 9xxx series of Radeon's, i'm just saying people seem to want to underestimate what Nvidia are capable of, remember if it wasn't for Nvidia's technical advancements you probably wouldn't of had the Radeon series of graphics cards. Just because ATi seem to be the 'underdog' doesn't mean they should always beat Nvidia.

We'll see though when the R420's come out.

The fanboy reaction from both camps disappoints me, but doesn't exactly surprise me.

The facts as we have them are: For the present generation of graphics cards, ATI's 9000 series blow's nvidia's fx out of the water. For the next generation, all we know is that the Geforce 6 wipes the floor with this one.

ATi's x800 might be a better choice, but it might not be - there is simply no way we can tell yet.

Give up on your pointless "loyalty" to one company or the other. Buy the best hardware in your price range, and who cares about the manufacturer?

In spite of the improved performance, I still would have preferred the new series to be marked as GeForce V. At least way they can pretend that the FX never was.

Originally Posted by Abom
Thing I hate about that is that you buy it, slot it onto your motherboard, then not see it again for a while :/

Unless you have a clear case. Which I don't.

i dont use a case, every thing runs cooler that way.

Back